3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

The Occasional  Outlaw

Is RDO really that bad?

The Occasional  Outlaw

Guys i played rdo for a while now after the new update. It doesn’t seem that bad. Seems to be running more consistent. Despite not having a poker feature, is it really that bad of a online game? Bear in mind, im very new to forums. Most of my friends prefer online shooters like COD. I myself like to go different route sometimes. Basically what im asking, is it worth putting in time with RDO? 

Would appreciate feedback. Thanks in advance

You'll read a lot of negative comments from people who in reality like the game, ME included. We're just hoping for bigger and better things since we know there's such huge potential. 

If you like it, stick with it. If your buddies want a non-stop shooter, yeah, this may not be the game for them.

The Occasional  Outlaw

Yeah the number of negative comments on RDO has been overwhelming. It just feels to me like an amazing game which is still to be improved by rockstar. Have you read the comments by RDO players when rockstar posts something new for GTA on facebook? That stuff is entertaining as hell, but ive got to be honest, i sometimes agree. But hey rdr2 is a piece of art in gaming ive yet to experience in any other

Rokushakubo

Nah it's good, you just have to be patient and manage your expectations. 

Ektope

It's not that bad. It is worth putting time into RDO.

The Occasional  Outlaw

Its strange to me when i feel like RDO really is amazing but then reading these thousands of negative comments about it. Like, what are they comparing it to? Theres nothing else like it in my opinion. Western setting, gameplay, the amazing graphics etc. i can go on

Yes people want more, but people are always going to want more and more..for what it is at this stage, its amazing and still evolving. Just wanted to get that off my chest

thanks guys

Lonely-Martin
Posted (edited)

If the negativity is overwhelming, there must be something to it, lol. Yes, it's a bad game right now, for me. That's the important part, for me. (I share complaint here in hope others share feedback on R*'s sites mainly).

The game has good potential, and totally agree it's an awesome looking game although there is far more I seek than graphics/looks in an open world game, especially a R* game. But the only thing that really matters is what you want/get from a game. If you need others opinions to make those decisions or others negative opinions sour it for you, I feel you're going about it all wrong.

Play your games dude, if you enjoy them, keep on having fun. It's that easy. :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Failed Again

Learning Tolerance and patience is good "M'kay 😨

and you get a chance for both

The Occasional  Outlaw

Yeah ur right. Just wish that everyone could’ve enjoyed it as much as i do i suppose. All the negativity just makes me wonder if im missing something. The poker though...they need to add that asap haha

Rokushakubo
4 minutes ago, The Occasional Outlaw said:

Yeah ur right. Just wish that everyone could’ve enjoyed it as much as i do i suppose. All the negativity just makes me wonder if im missing something. The poker though...they need to add that asap haha

Don't pay any attention to the negativity. If the game in its current state sates whatever need it is you get from gaming then enjoy the ride. One of the things I love is finding a game I really like and get to be part of from the beginning--watching it evolve. I'm patient and I think this aspect of enjoyment helps deal with the fact that we aren't playing poker, robbing banks and hunting legendary animals...yet. :)

Need drugs

Id say its worth some time right now. Not a considerable amount of time mind you. I would wait until they get their sh*t together but for now its ok just to stack money/gold bars and get a few levels under your belt.

The Occasional  Outlaw

Guys how do I directly reply to someone who replied on my post?

Just now, The Occasional Outlaw said:

Guys how do I directly reply to someone who replied on my post?

F#*%,  nevermind, got it. Jip im new to forums 😂

YNNEL
32 minutes ago, The Occasional Outlaw said:

Its strange to me when i feel like RDO really is amazing but then reading these thousands of negative comments about it. Like, what are they comparing it to? Theres nothing else like it in my opinion. Western setting, gameplay, the amazing graphics etc. i can go on

Yes people want more, but people are always going to want more and more..for what it is at this stage, its amazing and still evolving. Just wanted to get that off my chest

thanks guys

I agree and that’s why I’m sticking with it. Not really big into PVP (probably because I’m pretty average at it tbf) but free roam is still pretty boring. Like besides stranger missions which are repetitive themselves there’s not really anything else to do. I mean what happened to these dynamic events they were talking about? New

missions? They are still probably a long way off. I don’t really get too excited about new clothes either.

imburgundy

Yes the game is ready for more content but it's still a very fun game for me. It is tough seeing all the negativity for a game I really enjoy and yes there are flaws that I hope will be hashed out in the near future but that damned scenery is beautiful. I love just fully taking in my surroundings and right now I really like finding my camp in a new spot because some camps are just incredible. My favorite campsite right now is the one that sits on top of Citadel Rock overlooking all the Heartlands. So amazing! Now they need to give me more reason to go to my camp because right now there is literally no other reason to go to camp which is like a paradox for me. 

SuperJude™

It's definitely not great and damn sure isn't even good a lot of the time.

Happy for those who love the experience but man...being a free aim user and having to play in lobbies with auto aimers is beyond infuriating, almost insulting. 

Boozey St John

It's not a bad game but it's just the BARE minimum at the moment.

Some people are dicks and will shoot for no reason but most of the time you'll be left alone.

PVP is what it's more aimed towards underutilizing this beautiful and vast open world. 

There are a lot of flaws and bugs. Some have been there since the launch. 

... I should stop going on before I rethink my own opinion. 😔 

Rafae S

compared to what it could be? yes, laughably bad. as a base game though it's far from it.

Pressure Drop

Yes, it is bad. But I still made it to level 53. So, obviously, the base game, the fact you can go anywhere on the map, hunt, customise your character and horses, etc, has something going for it.

But that doesn't change the fact that the game is severely lacking in content. There is 1 TDM map, we cannot select which game mode to play. No Creator, Editor or Trapper. No hardcore lobby (or free aim at the very least) Horse bonding level and core levels reset randomly. Your camp will move to the other side of the map for no reason, assuming it is there at all. No survival mode, or basic things like Poker, Liars Dice or Blackjack. Things that were in the original Red Dead.

And, bugs that have been in since day 1 (0x20010006 disconnection every 30-40 mins) - Walk Style resets every time you switch lobby or log on.

Considering the size of Rockstar and previous experience, much better should be expected. It is NOT BETA if you are charging for microtransactions. Sure this stuff will come in the future (maybe?) but how long? And how many will give up with the game and lose interest, never to return due to several other games coming out and taking their time instead.

R* had ONE chance to make a good first impression and they blew it. They now have a chance to fix it, and could very well blow it again.

I've said all this before in other threads, to the point of becoming tired of discussing it. But if you haven't played before, sure, give it your time, you will have fun. I never even play PVP, I just hunt, explore or play story missions. That got me to level 53. But the longer you invest in the game, the more aware you will become of the major flaws, and the more it will irritate you probably, considering the excellence of the story mode.

Accendo

It's a bad game like No Man's Sky was a bad game. Technically it seems impressive but then you're five hours in with nothing to actually DO in this amazing world that they've created.

Then you see the way they incentivize gold bar purchases and your desire to continue supporting R* kind of just dies a little more.

Jason

Is it fundamentally bad? Like, is it a genuinely bad video game? No, far from it as well really.

The negativity comes from the fact that it launched very barebones and now, nearly four months later, they've added very little to strengthen the experience. Then on top of that they've been extremely silent regarding major issues including things like the lobby situation (PvE/friend sessions), have continued to take swipes at hunting/fishing payouts and just in general not actually fixed a lot of the gameplay bugs the game has. It doesn't help either that we have no idea on what their long term plans are, every Newswire article is generally pretty vague when it comes to information and dates.

RDO still has a mad amount of potential. Like GTAO, there's nothing else like it on the market today and RDO is far from the point of no return, but at this point it feels like it might take a year to even get going.

JoeFury1997

It could be amazing if it was handled correctly and the right content was being added in, but for now it is very barebones and they're focusing too much on selling gold bars rather than adding content that is worthwhile. Maybe in a few years it will be a lot better but it's not a good sign when even GTA online had more content in 2013. The multiplayer doesn't have that same time and care put into it compared to the single player and we just want the game to be amazing.

TiberiusMcQueen
Posted (edited)

If this was a smaller developer, RDO would be acceptable to an extent, but RDO is bad for one simple reason, Rockstar can do a lot better, and every single person playing knows that on some level. RDO itself is attached to quite possibly Rockstar's greatest game yet, which when compared to it just serves to show how much of an empty husk RDO is as a game, it has no depth. Pretty much everything good about RDO is done better in RDR2 or GTAO. Whenever I find myself enjoying the game, it's when I'm doing something I could've done in singleplayer or GTAO anyways, except it would probably be a more rewarding experience there.

Edited by TiberiusMcQueen

Semaj 2JZ♢

I honestly don't think it's worth putting in any extra (and by extra I mean serious, go out of your way to make time) time. At this point anyways. I can barely force myself to dink around for maybe an hour before it's just not fun anymore.

If you played enough of the SP, the Online isn't going to add to your experience. Unless only the PvP is your jam. And even then it's limited.

jazzbone

The way RDO is right now is disappointing and in some ways getting worse instead of better.
How bad or how good is subjective with the negative often the loudest voice.
However the amount of loud negative voices are many and with good reasons.
Reading the 100+page B&M thread in this forum may answer your question.

wehweh01
15 minutes ago, jazzbone said:

The way RDO is right now is disappointing and in some ways getting worse instead of better.
How bad or how good is subjective with the negative often the loudest voice.
However the amount of loud negative voices are many and with good reasons.
Reading the 100+page B&M thread in this forum may answer your question.

^ I was about to ask the same question. This guy hasn't seen our lengthy B&M thread yet? It's quite a read.

Eddy Wally
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SuperJude™ said:

Happy for those who love the experience but man...being a free aim user and having to play in lobbies with auto aimers is beyond infuriating, almost insulting. 

It's not like you ARE a free aim user, I mean, you weren't born that way right? Just stick to auto-aim and use slippery bastard to your advantage.

Edited by Eddy Wally

Pressure Drop
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Eddy Wally said:

It's not like you ARE a free aim user, I mean, you weren't born that way right? Just stick to auto-aim and use slippery bastard to your advantage.

Slippery sucks. It drains dead eye rapidly (even with Unblinking), requiring frequent tonic use. And it only works for seconds. You can't possibly play every single match using slippery 24/7. That's ridiculous.

Just stick to auto aim ? WHAT OTHER CHOICE IS THERE ?!?!? The first games I ever played were on a PC, which is free aim. So was I born a free aimer ?

Of course someone can be a "free aim user" - provided the game actually provides the framework for it. Since RDR is rated 18, for adults, why then are we forced to use auto-aim, which just comes across as being designed for children ?

Edited by Pressure Drop

JoeFury1997

Auto-aim should be removed against other players with optional auto aim for enemy AI, would make the game a lot more enjoyable.

Labovasha
Posted (edited)

No and It's terrible.This game was designed by actual crackheads, must have.

Putting glitches and bugs aside, the game still just horrible the way it is right now and what makes it so bad is rockstar intended for it to be that way (if not they are legitimately stupid as a game developer).

There is so much indefensible crap in the online mode it is ridiculous.

I tried to play earlier and ended up pushing the power button after 10 minutes. Literally just join a lobby and rode halfway across the map before getting disconnected, clicked free roam in the menu and as soon as I spawned in a posse of 5 red dots immediately shot me. I parlayed, got on my horse and rode a few feet and got a message saying I was targeted for assassination,*quit,

All I wanted was to do was get to a town and see what the updated added. I have to admit it is funny seeing rockstar try these bad faith updates because they clearly don't care about fixing the issues pertaining to community toxicity.

-

Edited by Labovasha

SuperJude™
3 hours ago, Eddy Wally said:

I don't know you we've never interacted from what I can remember so why the need to be so snide? 

You CLEARLY understood my point so...just in that mood to take a dig at someone who's obviously frustrated with something? 

Classy.