3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Grotti Vigilante

Which GTA has the best Rhino?

Which of the following GTA games has the best rendition of the Rhino tank?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following GTA games has the best rendition of the Rhino tank?

• GTA III/VC/LCS/VCS
    • GTA San Andreas
    • GTA Chinatown Wars
    • Grand Theft Auto V

Grotti Vigilante

The Rhino tank is one of my favourite military vehicles in the GTA series just because of how much fun you can have with it. But what I'm interested to know is which games in which it is featured have the best rendition of the tank? GTA III, Vice City, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories all have the same model of the Rhino, but GTA San Andreas has it's own different model, and GTA Chinatown Wars brought the vehicle into the HD Universe with GTA V providing us the most up-to-date and realistic model so far. But which one do you think is best? 

For me personally, San Andreas takes the win, and it's not a hard choice for me either. The 3D Universe Rhino outside of San Andreas aren't really well designed in my opinion, since they don't look much like a modern tank but rather a more old fashioned one. It is nice to have the ability to turn the turret backwards without the camera, but that's all it has going for it. Meanwhile the GTA V Rhino loses the mark because of it's design. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice design, and it is by far the most detailed we have. It also finally has caterpillar tracks which I am so glad they added in, and I love how it crushes cars rather than just blows them up on contact. But the issue I have is the fact that the tank is based on a non-American military vehicle.

I like the Rhino design, but it is based on the German Leopard 2, and that doesn't fit in with the game's settings as well as the San Andreas rendition which is based on the M1 Abrams, an actual American tank. If that rendition didn't exist, then V would take the win for me, but the fact the model is based on a vehicle from another country rather than a local military vehicle. The San Andreas rendition may not be as detailed as V's, nor as realistic given the canon not being solid and the explosion on contact with a vehicle (most of the time), but it most certainly fits in with the setting based on it's model alone. But what about you? What do you think is the best rendition of the Rhino tank from the GTA series? 

perennial

The one in San Andreas for functionality alone. The GTA V Rhino is too weak and the III/VC Rhino has detachable doors leaving the player exposed for getting busted. Though I gotta say I have fond memories of the GTA III/VC Rhino for the turret backwards speed boost + flying cars cheat combo.

GTA-Biker

GTA 3/VC/LCS/VCS Rhino doesn't even look like an actual tank (with doors on the sides and 6 wheels,it looks more like a some big armored personnel carrier).I haven't played GTA CTW so I don't know much about its version.GTA SA and GTA 5/Online versions look the best,but the version from GTA 5 is too weak (even Insurgent and APC seem to have tougher armor),so I voted for SA version.

CryptReaperDorian

The GTA V Rhino looks the part, but doesn't perform the part. It is less armored than many of the GTA Online vehicles, and it's way too light. If you so much as swing that Rhino's turret into a street sign, it'll start break-dancing and doing parkour.

While still a good bit flawed, the GTA SA rendition is so far the best.

TheSantader25

1.SA

2.V

3.The rest

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

Wow I'm surprised by the San Andreas landslide. It blows up pretty quickly and feels light. In Vice City it's a beast, can drive around blowing stuff up for hours. I used to always drive up and down the highway on the second island blasting through the police blocks and running over/exploding anything that touched me.

Also I remember having fun with army when they were driving them in Vice City because you could stand on top of a building shooting at them and if you aimed right the bullet would go through the little slats and hit the guy inside and he'd fall out the door. Could you do that in San Andreas? I don't remember.

The V one is useless in every way

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Male01
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Could you do that in San Andreas? I don't remember.

It's possible but most of the time this will trigger a glitch where the Rhino is driving itself. This glitch is present in all police cars but it's more obvious on the Enforcer, FBI Rancher, and Rhino. The vehicles with dead drivers simply follow you when you move away from them.

Ondr4H

I vote for San Andreas, that thing looks and act like tank.

Rhino from GTA V looks best, but on the other hand it feels like tin toy.Constantly glitching when I try to crush the car.On PC its even worse, because you cannot destroy about half of car(Seriously, worst fun killing decision in gta game).

EkaSwede
Posted (edited)

Strange how the better the Rhino looks, the worse it performs.

As much as I like the auto aiming cannons (aiming what you look at) I prefer the older Rhino where you could have the turred pointed sideways or behind you without having to look behind you. Blast away!

If only tanks worked like that in real life. Imagine tanks at sonic speed shooting backwards!

Edited by EkaSwede

Ondr4H
1 hour ago, EkaSwede said:

Strange how the better the Rhino looks, the worse it performs.

As much as I like the auto aiming cannons (aiming what you look at) I prefer the older Rhino where you could have the turred pointed sideways or behind you without having to look behind you. Blast away!

If only tanks worked like that in real life. Imagine tanks at sonic speed shooting backwards!

I used Rhino to fly around Vice city.

Nuff said.

Timcatgt5

San Andreas, because you can shoot down helicopters like flies thanks to the hydraulic system that let's the turret fire upwards. 

Vice City for its accessibility, if you collect 90 hidden packages and use a glitch to move to the west side early on in the game, it's available in the military base, so no blood can be shed if you run to it. 

liam_mason

Gta San Andreas has the best Rhino tank, because it provides the ability to shoot flying objects like helicopters and planes, the turret could fire upwards in any direction due to a hydraulic system.

Lioshenka

Voted for SA.

III/VC tanks were weird, because they had tyres. A great classic, but just simply wrong :D But I miss not being able to shoot backwards. Used to be a minor annoyance for me at first.

I've never seen a tank in GTA V I don't think. Not up close anyway.

Edited by Lioshenka

Failure

Hard to choose... each versions have their ups and downs.

The III/VC version isn't a main battle tank, and is much more of a crossover between a light tank and an APC. Open canopy and doors on the sides, makes getting busted/wasted more easy.

The SA version looks better, but still has odd looking tires instead of caterpillar tracks. Can handle tight corners and can take down helicopters, but isn't fireproof and blows up easily No more doors on the side though.

The CTW version finally introduces caterpillar tracks, but looks like some old WW-2 era tank instead of a modern MBT. It can turn while being stationary, which is nice. Decent armour, but can't crush vehicles.

The V version is the best looking, but sadly doesn't fit as it's not based  on an M1 Abrams. Driving it is irritating as the turret always gets stuck somewhere, can easily be destroyed (takes only 3 RPG shots in GTAO).

I'd just go with SA.

Jack Lupino

GTA 3 because you can use the tank as a plane and use it to fly around liberty city 😁

FadeAway

I vote for lll because it was just a lot of fun. You can fire in back to increase more speed. V's tank didn't remind me much of a tank, it was really weak after awhile. On a related note, the NOOSE in TBOGT was badass.