3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Vice Beach

New blip system killed online.

ivarblaauw

For me it brought back a lot of joy in the game. A lot more dynamic experiences and when you encounter others, it feels like a stranger in sp.

I like it so far and hope they'll built upon this system

GenericGTAO
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MXVC said:

Yes, and it essentially turned the game into something more like offline or co-op. If this is R*'s vision for the game, and if players really want solitary/friends only, then they may as well end the charade of RDO. That vision can be achieved with co-op and offline content. It's hard to believe so many players are so sensitive about occasional griefing that they prefer the game be neutered. 

I feel free roam has just as many griefers as before.  I have just as many encounters if not more now.  The blip system literally changed nothing for me.  So, I a netural on it, but the fact that its confusing. 

For instance, I reread the help, it says my color is tied to my aggression reputation, and my question is what is that and where is it?  Is it some background scale? Two, a red dot rode over to me and killed me.  He was close and could see him on both minimap and map.  But as usual, he was rank 24.  So I killed him repeatedly until he parleyed.  He left then area, I went back to doing what I was doing.  10 minutes later...I guess, he rides up on me while I am cooking.  Meaning he found me and he got lucky or my dot is red and the game has not informed me.  So, I repeatedly killed him again, except when he spawned and I could no longer see him on the map, I left him alone.  Once the little red directional on the minimap disappeares, I could then see him on the map.  WtF.  Its confusing.

Edited by GenericGTAO

tonko
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MXVC said:

It seems natural that free roam should be truly free, a mix of the good, bad and everything in between, PvP and PvE. There should be separate lobbies and modes for a controlled experience. 

True.Controlled experience is the key term here.

Edited by tonko

El Payaso

You're just bitter that you can't grief anymore.

"Oh, no. I can't see where everyone is through a satellite tracking map that didn't exist in the early 1900s."

Van_Hellsing

No GPS map doesn't solve the griefing. If there is a pvp daily challenge, you get shot while fishing or at the butcher continuesly. If a blue dot is opening fire, its dot should immediately turn red, not pink. Now they can ambush and run off. 

Silly game design convinced me that Rockstar's design execs do not play their own game. 

GTP_Monkey

I will tell you whats killing online "greifing" again is getting really bad with these Daily's requiring players to kill other players with xxx weapon its a bloody bloodbath out there now, The squeakers aint good enough to go showdown or gunrush etc to achieve the goal so they go kill hunters from behind in free roam 

The Deadite

Friendly players are more friendly now and thats it, i never got shot by a red dot but always by a blue one and they always end up scaping... which is for the best because PvP in free roam is far from being enjoyable so they save me the trouble of trying to get even.

4eyedcoupe

I was adamantly against the blip system, and honestly would still prefer to see everyone on the menu map, but I can live with the current system for the most part.  There are definitely some adjustments that could/should be made.

1. Proximity on the mini map.  If I'm in Lemoyne, I don't want to see all of the red dots from Tumbleweed & Blackwater on my mini-map.  As the red dots get within range they should show up on the mini map like they did prior to the update(maybe a wider range) but keep the red dots on the menu map at all times. 

2.  Show me what my color is.  The only way myself or my friends could tell if one of us was red was to tell each other when we weren't in the same posse.  You should always know your current status.

3.  The color of the player dot and good players(blue) need to change to be a bit more different.  I know they are different shades of blue, but maybe change player dots to white.  I would like to ultimately see Posse's have colors much like organizations or MC's do in GTA, but I'd settle for the rest.  

What ruins the game for me is the way the current Bounty system is set up.  I mean, I've gotten a bounty for "horse thief" when getting on my own horse, WTF.  Can't have a friendly tussle with a friend without getting a bounty ect.  A friend of mine is perma-red all of the time just from tackling me, he has never killed another player or AI outside of Story, stranger missions or free roam events.  

They haven't added any PVE, stuff.  I don't mind PVP, it's just not for me in this game.  The daily objectives every day are aimed @ PVP, no problem, but specific weapons? Really?   

Speparate Lobbies <--- I don't think we will be getting them, but if we ever do you will still find me in a normal public lobby.  But seriously, R*, it's the one thing 99.9% of your player base agree's on no matter how they play the game.  

Hunterrrr
On 3/10/2019 at 1:12 AM, Pocket Fox said:

Your claim about small vocal minority is based on what evidence of user feedback? Most posts in this forum about keeping the game PvP only see few to no likes whereas posts about PvE/PvP servers or Invite only or anti-griefer measures result in far more likes.

Parlay works after you die 4 times PER PERSON so a 5 player posse can kill a player 20 times before they can continue with whatever they were doing or what they wanted to do.

Griefing not being an issue, hmm again, alot of personal stories on this forum of people complaining about griefing and even a few of players bragging about how they killed someone, they took parlay and they continued to harass them, shoot their pelts, scare off game/animals etc. I'd say griefing was an issue and not one limited to RDRO as Kotaku and other gaming news outlets last year took a look at GTAO and basically surmised 'Great game... totally ruined by cheats, griefers and children.'

As for the blip system, it is something I warned about since November. That if Private/PvE lobbies were not introduced then player numbers would drop and a passive mode would not address the issue. If griefing continued the passive mode that would be introduced would only serve to lessen the experience for BOTH PvE and PvP focussed players. During Nov-Feb much of the PvP community was like

'it's the wild west, get used to it'

'maybe this isn't the game for you'

'go play barbies island adventure'

'git gud'

etc

Now the glove is on the other hand and would could throw the same remarks back. "it's a beta, R* can change whatever they want, maybe this isn't the game for you, go play APEX legends or Rust, git gud' etc etc. That's a very immature and childish approach though and one with a win/lose outcome that doesn't bode well for a healthy community. Realistically RDRO needs lobby options and even further to this, needs a rework.

As for the 'game is dead now' or 'can't find anyone' excuse to whinge and whine.

Reveal hidden contents

If you want to PvP in Free Roam 'follow the red dot road' and you'll find other players who will shoot back and not parlay and then report you. They'll engage in Free Roam PvP... and of course, you can then enjoy..... 30XP...for each kill. 0 money, 0 gold... just 30 or so XP per kill. Yep.... just a little XP gain... you'd get 5-10 less XP shooting NPC's.... so exactly what's the point? You could PvP Showdown playlists and get more XP and Cash and Gold!  But!! I know full well it's a different 'experience' and sometimes you want to go on a pvp shootout from Valentine to Van Horn and not just play a sh*tty poorly thought out TDM mode in a playspace the size of a backyard.

Which is why I believe not only does RDRO need a lobby choice of PvP/PvE/Invite (and potentially freeaim PvP) but RDRO needs at it's core a redesign for Free Roam.

PvP: Blip system removed, stranger missions have greater chance to give PvP quests. Player kills now give money in addition to XP. EG. 30Xp and 30 cents per player kill. Killing the same player repeatedly sees a reduction in money gain. Remove AI bounty hunters, instead players can kill players with a bounty to claim the reward. Obviously, add more PvP free roam modes and activities to this mode with future development, such as random events like having to hijack a train and then other players must take the train over. Which ever posse has control of the train after xx minutes gets XP, Cash, Gold. Add modes like this later, etc.

PvE: Blip system removed. No player v player combat, but an option to challenge other players to either a duel or engage in PvP, first to 5 kills etc wins. PvP stranger quests disabled. PvE stranger missions have reduced mission timer and small reduction in payout 10-20%. For future updates add PvE free roam content like defending Valentine bank from a wave of bandits. Players who participate get cash, gold, xp. Add more modes later with development.

Invite: The same as PvE

PvP Free Aim (Hardcore): Blip system either removed or altered so you can only see players in the same state. No Hud/minimap. Plays the same as PvP lobby but all activities see a 10% increase in XP, Cash, Gold, including PvE stranger quests. Free Aim is forced for all in the lobby.

Lobby options along these lines, with testing to fine tune their economies would suit a much broader community. Lone wolfs or people with crap internet could play in Invite, social and role players in PvE. PvP'ers would have a lobby they could shoot others in and not get an insta parlay as well as text messages like 'f**k you, you griefin d'bag, im gonna spam reports on your acct now'   and Free Aimers could have a more hardcore experience with longer shootouts rather than being 360 no-scoped by some noob with a pea shooter because they pressed LT and RT really quick.

Win/Win

Will we get it? Not if one community only cries and whinges for their desired playstyle to the THE WAY and THE ONLY WAY to play the game. In that case we'll go back and forth between PvP griefer central and then PvE passive forests of invisible players. Lobbies need to be introduced to provide each player and each community with a sandbox in which to play the game in a way they enjoy and those around them enjoy. 

Analogy, smoking vs non-smoking public places and restaurants. What do we have now?  Non-smoking everywhere... so.... f**k you if you happen to like a cigarette.

laugh and giggle at that, but we'll soon approach a time when restaurants won't server alcohol, then won't serve chocolate/dessert and finally won't serve unhealthy food. Because the all or nothing approach seems to appeal to blockheads rather than a win/win situation where we all get to have our little bit of fun.

In my opinion, you are 100% correct on every aspect. I haven't played since they "fixed" the stranger mission solo lobbies. I logged in yesterday to buy some of the new clothes that looked nice. 

Smallest lobby I got in was 42, largest was 48. 

Of course, like before, my internet could not handle such massive lobbies. So I got the disconnected error every two minutes or so.

I want to play the game, but I can't until Invite or Private lobbies are added. 

Dr.Rosenthal

The blip system is a step in the right direction but it could be a whole lot better.

I don’t trust a blue blip any more than I trust a red one.

And the bounties? It’s good that we get bounties from killing players, but from killing NPC’s?? It’s silly. Why’d they do that?

I still have the Award from low honor to get. How much of a bounty will I have after trying to get that now? Smh

ZakeBudek

The blip system is trying to be a meld of all the lobby types, and it kinda works. I'd prefer lobby types, or a more integrated PvE/PvP gameplay beyond just blips, but it's better than it was. I would extend the blue blip radius, and decrease the red blip radius, but otherwise friendly players can be fairly assured that everyone isn't a threat, PvP can start for those who want it (bounties kick in way too soon, but that's a bounty problem not blips) or PvP can be avoided by those not wanting it.

R* still heavily encourages PvP (daily challenges, stranger mission "attack them!" etc.) which I think is a poor philosophy as the core of the game, they should support social/casual gamers as much as anyone else - bigger audience, happier customers and so on. The PvP at least needs an in-game alternative as obviously the theme of the game is more... pastoral.

Ronin Ogami

It would also help if they clarified the PvP portion of the daily challenges as being meant to be part of the structured PvP of showdown or Free Roam Events.

Foxwolfe

This particular complaint doesn't fly with me:

Low active players: You have no evidence to make this claim, every lobby I've been in since the game came out has started out with 20+ people and only a handfull of times have they dropped down to less than 10 (which I also haven't seen happen in a while). Not that my anecdote holds any more weight than yours, just that I'm not running around claiming things that I can't back up with hard evidence.

Like people wanna make such a big deal out of not seeing blips but the end result is the exact same thing as before since the main thing it seems most people were really using it for was avoiding other players! If anything now it's better since you will run into people accidentally instead of seeing someone coming straight towards you on the map (cause say they're, just riding to a destination further down the road that you happen to be sitting on) and getting all paranoid at why anyone would be making a B line towards you.

If you wanna hate on the new system go for it, but don't try to claim it's lowering the active player base when you have nothing to back that up outside of your own experience and fears.

SuperJude™

What they SHOULD have done is this: In camp with flag raised I can't shoot you and you can't shoot me. However I CAN shoot animals. They already have this mechanic coded. It seems like it would have been a fantastic and easy idea to apply this to a Passive Mode.

Personally I enjoy the blip system now.

I'm a Free Aim Sniper in an Auto Aim world. I play hit and run. I shoot from above. I try to stay forever out of blip range.

Revoemag

Simple solution to the blip system..

Literally reverse it..

See players that are far away (so players find find each other and the map won't look so empty)

Don't see players that are close - except those that have fired their weapon recently or have bounties. 

This way players can still find each other,  map doesn't feel so empty,  but when in proximity to other players, players are  invisible on map (except those that are hostile) making it easy to avoid fights and griefers and allowing non aggressive players to meet and work together

Happy Hunter

I like the new system. One of the best things about the update.

Most blue blips are friendly. I've had the odd ones who aren't, some guy perched up trying to snipe me off the map too. But for the most part, well I'd say over half of the have been friendly. If they're not, run away and they can't see you.

If I feel like killing, I go to a showdown. Or I find a red blip, snipe him from where he can't see me on his map.

Bounty system could do with tweaking though.

DarksunDaFirst

The blips system is working as intended - to lower griefer rates.  I haven't really noticed a player count drop in the lobbies - I've been able to switch multiple times in a night (or afternoon) and I'm always finding lobbies that are at least 20-25 players, if not more.  It has been rare to be dropped into a lobby with less than that.  Every once in a while I get put into a lobby by myself but it doesn't stay empty for long and quickly gets filled.

Why?
Because contrary to some belief - people are still playing this game.  But a large chunk of them I'm sure will eventually move on to greener pastures if more PvE content isn't made available.  

LawstFawkz

I like the new blip system, I just wish I knew if I was red or blue! I figure if I stay to myself though I'm most likely blue. I had a blue dot run over me with his horse and he instantly turned red, so i dunno. I agree the bounty system needs tweaking, just not sure how. 

Foxwolfe

It was likely that he turned red just to you due to hitting you/doing damage to your character and the game considering him hostile to you at that point. Dunno how much it takes to turn red in regards to the players overall hostility/how they appear on the map, but me and my buddy remain blue to each other while exchanging kills for daily challenges if there's any easy ones we can knock out after logging in, so more than 3-5 kills on the same person at least I guess lol.

Edited by Foxwolfe
Clarity.

LawstFawkz

Just noticed that if you pull up the players list in a session it'll show which names are in red, purple, or blue, including your own. I like the new blip system alot better now!

ghostsoap01

More than anything the change worries me and kinda disappoints me, because its another sign that R*'s devs are willing to bend over backward to do anything to avoid implementing lobby types.

However, I do like it better than what we had before, as many have said here, the game feels more peaceful. Only thing that is more tricky now is not knowing how bad of a sh*t-show the nearest town is until you're in it.

hugh750

i kind of think the new anti griefing measures r* added to rdo don't seem to be working too well, we still get attacked by griefers.

Assblaster
5 minutes ago, hugh750 said:

i kind of think the new anti griefing measures r* added to rdo don't seem to be working too well, we still get attacked by griefers.

I must be very lucky then cuz I'm meeting lots of friendly players. Had a few conflicts but not as much as I did before that's for sure.

Frykill

I'm confused.  I have high honor, no bounty, so that means I'm blue.  Is that good or bad? 

Rafae S
1 hour ago, Frykill said:

I'm confused.  I have high honor, no bounty, so that means I'm blue.  Is that good or bad? 

good

GTP_Monkey

The blip system was working fine till R* purposely put more pvp into free roam with the daily "KILL PAYERS with x y or z gun"  most of the greifers have embraced this new challenge, they are not good enough to survive in side missions to achieve these tasks so they turn free roam into a bloodbath 

Ghoffman9

The blip system was copy pasted from Gta Online, what I am referring to is the mental state system. Mental state was terrible in Gta Online. One major issue is that it would go up if you decided to go on a cop rampage. Kill too many cops during a rampage and your dot ends up turning red just like a douchebag who killed a lowbie for an hour. The other issue was the fact that the bar would completely reset after you log off and come back later. Meaning the mental state only tells you how much a player been an asshole during their current play session, meaning it was completely unreliable when it comes to determining a player's behavior.

I have not really played since this system was introduced, but if anything I mentioned above is also found in RDO, then its not a reliable system here either.

Additionally, with the introduction of daily objectives that require you to kill players, you could end up being attacked by a player with a blue dot. Players who are typically friendly but only did it to complete a daily, which only muddies the waters even more.

Ronin Ogami

I also find it doesn't account for the players who avenge themselves, or don't take crap from fools who blindside jump them. More often than not, I don't parley when some jerk rides up & shoots me w/o provocation.  & THAT'S more my issue. Those who shoot first.  I'd love to see some kind of challenge/duel system, where one player can "Call you out". giving you the choice of whether or not you want to engage in free roam combat.

Edited by Ronin Ogami

DrKrankenstein
6 hours ago, Ronin Ogami said:

I also find it doesn't account for the players who avenge themselves, or don't take crap from fools who blindside jump them. More often than not, I don't parley when some jerk rides up & shoots me w/o provocation.  & THAT'S more my issue. Those who shoot first.  I'd love to see some kind of challenge/duel system, where one player can "Call you out". giving you the choice of whether or not you want to engage in free roam combat.

i always return the favour when someone shoots me first. but i haven't turned red once. nor am i farming cops. the blip system is doing what it's suppose to, discourage bad behavior. bounty system could use a tweak for people defending themselves but that's all. i like the new update. now we need that damn benbow jacket and some better stability and we're set lol

GTP_Monkey
12 minutes ago, DrKrankenstein said:

i always return the favour when someone shoots me first. but i haven't turned red once. nor am i farming cops. the blip system is doing what it's suppose to, discourage bad behavior. bounty system could use a tweak for people defending themselves but that's all. i like the new update. now we need that damn benbow jacket and some better stability and we're set lol

How do you know your blip hasnt changed colour