1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Happy Hunter

Did anybody buy the Rolling Block rifle?

Happy Hunter

This one just feels right to me. To be fair I don't own the Carcano - I've only used the stock versions of it during Name Your Weapon. But they didn't feel powerful enough. Not nearly enough one shot kills.

This, with express rounds - you get very good odds of a one shot kill. Add some damage cards in, and it might well be guaranteed - will need to do testing on that.

it's a bit slower, but to me that's how a sniper should be anyway.

I think it's a heroic weapon.

ThaBirdCoot

Yup, it's my baby, simply love it. In the process actually of racking up the kills for sniper rifle kills buckle. Already back in RDR it was only surpassed by the buffalo rifle, for obvious reasons. Carcano is not my cup of tea. Never was, so I haven't bought it...yet.

If you run a tier 3 focus fire with it I'm guessing it is most times a 1 hit kill unless players been sipping them tonics and munching the minty big game. 

Clickalot

yup

I have the Roling Block

love that riffle

Chrismads

Its not a very useful weapon. Its not the best for showdowns, hunting, hideouts or defending yourself. But for a higher rank player with all the things he needs, it is a fun weapon to use.

If you like using snipers then get it, but just know that it won't improve your abillities in any of the above.

I love to use it, even when some weapons would be the better choice for that specific situation.

And it looks boss

Happy Hunter
3 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

Its not a very useful weapon. Its not the best for showdowns, hunting, hideouts or defending yourself. But for a higher rank player with all the things he needs, it is a fun weapon to use.

If you like using snipers then get it, but just know that it won't improve your abillities in any of the above.

I love to use it, even when some weapons would be the better choice for that specific situation.

And it looks boss

Oh I don't know - a lot of the showdown maps aren't very well suited to sniping, but some have a few places where you can go on for some time without being shot down.

Earlier I had a daily objective where I had to kill 10 people on horseback - I did them all in a single showdown with the sniper. It was the oilfields, hostile territory. I took a horse, rode way off into a high corner of the map - no one was spawning near there. Just picked people off constantly. No one even figured out where I was.

So many of the maps don't work like that though. I haven't been able to find any good sniping spots in hostile territory, rhodes - or a lot of other maps.

I'm hoping some of the stuff in the future is more spaced out, better suited to sniping.

Chrismads
1 minute ago, Happy Hunter said:

Oh I don't know - a lot of the showdown maps aren't very well suited to sniping, but some have a few places where you can go on for some time without being shot down.

Earlier I had a daily objective where I had to kill 10 people on horseback - I did them all in a single showdown with the sniper. It was the oilfields, hostile territory. I took a horse, rode way off into a high corner of the map - no one was spawning near there. Just picked people off constantly. No one even figured out where I was.

So many of the maps don't work like that though. I haven't been able to find any good sniping spots in hostile territory, rhodes - or a lot of other maps.

I'm hoping some of the stuff in the future is more spaced out, better suited to sniping.

I'm not saying it isn't viable, but I bet you'd get more kills on the battlefield with a lancaster in your hands. Thats my point.

Like, you could hunt a pack of 4 deers with the rolling block and down maybe 1 or 2 deer if you're really good, before they run off. With the bolt action, you could probably kill all 4 in a few seconds..

But still, I personally have more fun killing 1 deer with the RB

Happy Hunter

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

I'm not saying it isn't viable, but I bet you'd get more kills on the battlefield with a lancaster in your hands. Thats my point.

Like, you could hunt a pack of 4 deers with the rolling block and down maybe 1 or 2 deer if you're really good, before they run off. With the bolt action, you could probably kill all 4 in a few seconds..

You're probably right. For me though, all the people spawning next to you/behind you that you get playing closer up - it just frustrates me too much. Even getting a few less kills up in my sniping corners, at least the spawnkills are less annoying.

Stoakzee

The Rolling Block with express rounds is my go to weapon since the update, I just wish I could put a shorter ranged scope on it.

TheShift

My go to sniper rifle 👍

GTP_Monkey

Used a lot in SP and bought it online as soon as it unlocked, Best sniper going at moment 

Ryan5252
5 hours ago, Chrismads said:

It was my go-to for hunting. Round the Bayou you're guaranteed clean kills on Gators with the Rolly Block. I had it as my second long arm and Varmint for birds. Baby Gators and 3* White tail bucks. I didn't chase the buck, when they start running follow the trail and then pick them off when they settle down. A baby gator carcass at $6.50 and collect pelts at $3.50 each and possibly drag a white tail back was good money.

Now, they've nerfed the Varmint that you can't get a good shot on flying birds and the ones you hit disappear and you can't sell baby gator pelts at all anymore. How long did we have to wait for them to fix the butcher stealing pelts or loosing a haul after being killed but they can fix other bugs in less than a week?!?

I digress, it's an excellent hunting weapon if you take time and hunt your prey. 

Kemasus

Definitely my first choice

Semaj 2JZ♢
14 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

giphy.gif

You're probably right. For me though, all the people spawning next to you/behind you that you get playing closer up - it just frustrates me too much. Even getting a few less kills up in my sniping corners, at least the spawnkills are less annoying.

Nice shot. Although, tbf, the guy you shot could have been a level 2 with minimum health. So...😅

TCA

I never bought this one. But I did buy the Carcano. Only bad thing is they're completely situational weapons, I could only image what it would be like without the scope! both would turn into meta weapons.

wehweh01
19 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

This one just feels right to me. To be fair I don't own the Carcano - I've only used the stock versions of it during Name Your Weapon. But they didn't feel powerful enough. Not nearly enough one shot kills.

This, with express rounds - you get very good odds of a one shot kill. Add some damage cards in, and it might well be guaranteed - will need to do testing on that.

Naw, I own a Carcano, Springfield, and a Bolt action. However, I only use a Carcano. Fire rate isn't super useful unless you're feeling untouchable and want to hip fire for fun.

rusbeckia
6 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

Naw, I own a Carcano, Springfield, and a Bolt action. However, I only use a Carcano. Fire rate isn't super useful unless you're feeling untouchable and want to hip fire for fun.

I tried hipfireing once. Didn‘t go out well haha

10 hours ago, Semaj 2JZ♢ said:

Nice shot. Although, tbf, the guy you shot could have been a level 2 with minimum health. So...😅

Doesn‘t matter. I one-shot lvl 100+ players with rolling-block and express ammo.

DarksunDaFirst
Posted (edited)

I did mainly for hunting - to get perfect pelts on some large game you need a sniper rifle.  

Against other players, I enjoy that a good shot to center mass almost always is 1-shot kill vs. a Carcano rifle you need to get a headshot or a neck(highcenter mass) shot to get a 1-shot kill.  However in team games, Carcano rifle is the better "support" rifle.  If you see your teammate having a shootout with someone, if they get a shot or two in on them - your Carcano becomes the killing shot.  Or at the very least you made it very easy for your team mate to get the killing shot.

They each have their advantages and disadvantages, more appropriate for certain situations and lastly: preference & playstyle.  My playstyle against other players tends to leave me using the Rolling Block over the Carcano (because I can use my scope on my Bolt Action in place of the Carcano).

Edited by DarksunDaFirst

Ektope
3 hours ago, DarksunDaFirst said:

They each have their advantages and disadvantages, more appropriate for certain situations and lastly: preference & playstyle.  My playstyle against other players tends to leave me using the Rolling Block over the Carcano (because I can use my scope on my Bolt Action in place of the Carcano).

Bolt Action isn't one-shot bodyshot, compared to Carcano. Bolt Action has medium scope while

Carcano has long scope.

ZakeBudek

Love it, but the Carcano is superior. Fire rate, reload. Never use the Block anymore.

Ektope
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ZakeBudek said:

Love it, but the Carcano is superior. Fire rate, reload. Never use the Block anymore.

What I hate about Carcano is having to press RT to cock between each bullet shots. Imagine you wanna shoot, but the Carcano does nothing through your scope. "Why ain't my weapon, working?"

I'm not sure about the Rolling Block though, whether we have to cock with RT or something. For some reason, I had easier time with Rolling Block. But I'm going to be maxing both Snipers soon.

Edited by Ektope

Pocket Fox

I wish I could remove the scope on the Rolling Block and Carcano. Or at least toggle between iron sights and scope like on the Bolt Action.

Don't really feel inclined to get these weapons until we get a Gun Locker for our camp or something.

rusbeckia
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

I wish I could remove the scope on the Rolling Block and Carcano. Or at least toggle between iron sights and scope like on the Bolt Action.

Don't really feel inclined to get these weapons until we get a Gun Locker for our camp or something.

While I like the idea, it would be overwhelmingly op. 

Edited by rusbeckia

netnow66
On 3/7/2019 at 1:30 AM, Happy Hunter said:

It's my go to sniper when hunting. I prefer the Carcano when in missions or taking down bandit camps because it's faster. I don't really PvP so I can't comment.

Happy Hunter

CEXBE4E.png

Brave! Heroic!

Also got a little testing on the rifle.

Ektope
12 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

But our horse is already gun locker?

Foxwolfe
2 hours ago, Ektope said:

But our horse is already gun locker?

While I agree, it would also be nice to store guns we didn't want to bring on the horse in our camp, the fact that we can ride our gun locker around and fight from it means it's only acting as a locker when we aren't on it.

It would be like if every personal vehicle in GTAO was also a gun locker.

Sammionna

Picked it up today, definitely an underrated weapon. It feels so satisying to us, heroic indeed!

traksta1

It has a much improved range since the buff last week. Great for hunting and, as it turns out, skull popping a would be bushwhacker several times in a row desperately trying to get within autoaim distance. High velocity loads recommended for that little bit extra range  obviously. A very situational gun but much more useful than it was pre buff. Looks sweet too imho.

Chrismads
On 3/9/2019 at 9:36 AM, Happy Hunter said:

CEXBE4E.png

Brave! Heroic!

Also got a little testing on the rifle.

About the draw distance. It is way longer on my ps4. I can see player and horses so far away that they're just blurry dots moving around. They can't be hit that far away though.

I'll try to make a video tomorrow.

Happy Hunter
11 hours ago, Chrismads said:

About the draw distance. It is way longer on my ps4. I can see player and horses so far away that they're just blurry dots moving around. They can't be hit that far away though.

I'll try to make a video tomorrow.

If it's like GTA, they can probably be seen from any distance when in a vehicle (in this case, a horse). GTA, you have a short draw distance when they're on foot - but can see them for miles when they're in a car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the standard draw distance though, is longer depending on console. PS4 is just a little more powerful than Xbox One. Then you have PS4 Pro, Xbox One X.