3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GOT Gaming

Is rdo dead

Jedster

In fact I stoped playing two months ago, we just hoped in to see what is this update about ast it was advertised as "All New" only to find out that mostly everything is as it was, just with a few nonsense added. I never wanted this to be GTAO 2.0 but it's unfortunatelly that with much less content and more irritating mtx. I never enjoyed PvP here or in GTAO and there is very little to do besides that. In one hand it's good that you still can enjoy the game, on the other it's bad and i worry about the directiond this game is taking. This game had alot of potential to be very good online experience for mature playerbase and I hate to see it turn into a shalow milking machine to extract more money out players... 

TheShift

Again...different opinions 

I've got 250 hours online

Play everyday..every weekend 

I'm far from bored and look forward to the road ahead.

Haven't spent a dime on mtx or cheat with glitchs ...

rusbeckia
9 minutes ago, Jedster said:

This game had alot of potential to be very good online experience for mature playerbase and I hate to see it turn into a shalow milking machine to extract more money out players... 

From my experience this game attracts mostly mature players. Especially with the new blip system they went far off from the immature gtaish gameplay imo. Also i think it has even more potential to evolve in something really good due to the latest changes. 

Anyway, I hope that you regain your interest in it once they add a more substantial update and if not, may it be so!

Lonely-Martin
Posted (edited)

Dead? No. As shown on just these forums, many are enjoying what's on offer. Have at it.

Far from reaching its early potential? Absolutely. Of course it is. Microtransactions this early while leaving day one bugs unattended does leave a bad taste, IMHO. The lacking content too considering much of it is PvP just pushes me/many away for now too.

Had session choice been available, I know I'd be enjoying this game but that's not happened, same for those seeking freeaim lobbies. My real issue is just that. Give me a chance to play my/our game of it, I'm happy, it's why I stuck with GTA:O for so long, and I'm sure that freedom to choose added to how big that game grew so big too. After all, more players means more revenue, at least potentially. They can't even try to make gold appeal to those not there.

I've just got to wait is all. And that is frustrating as I love my R* games but at the present it feels like I am indeed not welcome through my playstyle, bit of a shame.

Crap like those cards means nothing to me, I don't want them. But if I play in today's game, I'll need them. Takes choice away. Well, unless I want a spanking in any PvP scenario, lol. And seeing glitches go on while hampering the game with animals being stopped from being sold, even if temporary, or nerfs in sales etc is very much the same as what they do with GTA:O so it's uninspiring to learn the game is as weak with this stuff after 5+ years of that crap in GTA.

I want this game to thrive, I want to be full of praise too. But I've been pushed out it feels and I'm concerned it will be another GTA but in the west. They are making it very easy to criticise, I feel.

Was meant to add, microtransactions in general as a way to embrace others doesn't bother me. But their impact in game does concern me when I consider how GTA:O went. I'm cautious, though don't like them being a focus during this beta/testing phase.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Autospell fail

Kemasus

We all have different play styles....

Im at level 23 and havnt played a mission (other than the introduction)

I did the grind (feathers and pelts) north of St Denis to level 21. Now I just slowly wander around enjoying the scenery etc

I no longer hunt everything but take what I can use and discovered I can make decent coin by selling both herbs and pelts

I dont mind buying the odd Gold Pack.....I picked up a 25 pack yesterday.

I am enjoying the hunting challenges (keep em coming)

Rockstar needs to continue adding content and game play....a year or two from now and this game will be rockin

yeezy203

I tried to boycott this game after the last update because I was so heartbroken. Turns out, the companies of the other games I play are also money hungry scumbags so it's pick my poison at this point. Came back on and still liking this game it beats the hell out of raging after a long day of work. Giving it another try, just waiting on some PVE stuff FFS Rockstar.

coach_wargo
Posted (edited)

I’m still playing regularly, but I’m not in love with this game the way that I was with RDR1. I feel like I’m dating someone who I like enough to go out with, but it’s only because I haven’t found someone new yet. Which sucks because I want to love this game, I really do.

The things that I loved about RDR1 seem to have been binned for RDR2. My favorite thing was the PvP. I loved the standoffs, but they’re gone in RDR2. Team deathmatches, we have 1 in RDR2. Forced weapon matches. Name Your Weapon is kind of that I guess, but you get your custom weapons if you own them. And the cards ensure that there is no level playing field in any match.

Stronghold has been replaced with Hostile Territory, which is basically Turf War from GTA IV. I like the idea, but the execution sucks. Instead of straight up 2 team matches it seems R* is obsessed with having multiple teams. It’s like management thinks more teams equals better game play. There’s a reason that head-to-head, 2 team game modes are the industry standard.

Grab the Bag and Hold Your Own? I’m holding out for whenever the captures are drip fed that they will be as good as RDR1, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m not hopeful.

Poker? Not there. Everyone says it’s because they can’t have the kiddies gambling (even though the game is rated 18+). The truth is legally they’re fine if the gambling is for in game currency and not gold, since gold can’t be converted into in game money. The real reason for leaving gambling out is to prevent people from giving their friends money. And don’t get me started on Liar’s Dice.

Gun Rush, I’ll let others judge. I’ve tried Fort Nite, Apex Legends, and Gun Rush, and concluded that battle royale just isn’t my thing.

Oh, and did I mention that I’m a free aim player? Yeah, thanks for nothing on that front too. Except for in races, when it’s hardest to aim, then they remove auto aim, SMH.

The free roam has been ok so far. It has met my expectation, but certainly isn’t anything to get excited about.  Camp is pointless, and I’m glad that mine despawned with the last update. At least I’m not being charged for that useless thing anymore. The stranger missions are meh. The gang hideouts aren’t available frequently enough IMO, and I have trouble finding them. I think they should show up on the pause menu map when they are active.  The daily challenges give me something to do, but they’re neither a plus or minus for me. We can’t own property, but that may be coming.

And I’m dying for more story missions, I can only replay the same ones so many times. This to me is one of the worst problems. I find it hard to believe that they don’t have more of these ready to go.

For now I don’t feel that RDO free roam is much different from single player except there are less animals, less NPCs, and I may get shot in the back by some 12 year old while fishing or jumped by a posse of griefers while hunting.

Edited by coach_wargo

DrKrankenstein

me and my friends play daily, for hours, wether we fish,pick herbz or get disconnected, there is fun to be had. latest update did good, love the blips, on the fence about the bounty system but a step in the right direction.

Cheesy_wotsit
6 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

Sorry dude, but you‘re the one being naive  for thinking they can fix all the bugs AND add bunch of new content for a game that big. 

It was pretty obvious from the beginning that we won‘t get much content until the final release. Therefore we only got cosmetics and content which doesn‘t f*ck up the game in the early state it‘s in now.

The only purpose for mtx in the game from the beginning is for people who don‘t have time to grind for hours each day to be able to buy a leather duster, a 3rd stable spot or even a proper horse. Nobody forces you to buy them and without them the online probably wouldn‘t even exist longer than a year.

I’d rather have the option to buy mtx over paying for every dlc they add to the game. 

Please feel free to never touch any online game from r* again. 

Making excuses for a multi billion dollar developer... pathetic. The games in Beta released by a company that has more than enough cash to support the Beta phase of the game with out MTX to put it simply their is NO EXCUSE for a game this big with the developer support it has to have MTX in Beta. Release it as a final game then stuff the game to the gills with MTXs but having them their during Beta is pathetic and utterly unexcusable... then again if GTAO is any example the game will still be in 'Beta' four years from now.

t their interest is in milking the player base as best they can

Rokushakubo
8 hours ago, Jedster said:

Thank you, I laughed my lungs out on your funboyism and naivety... please go ahead, buy goldbars and support R*/TT in their endeavour to ruin this and every future game... hmmm sorry - live service.

I'm not a fanboy, I'm someone whose life revolves around actual life and not solely on a videogame to the point that I develop negative feelings towards it or a developer. Games for me are fun and/or rewarding and when they cease to be, I move on. I think you're being a tad melodramatic, perhaps play another game for awhile if you're one of the jaded early adopters I mentioned. And thank you, I will buy gold bars because I am confident the game will be what I envisage it to be and because I have the income to do it. :)

tonko
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, coach_wargo said:

I’m still playing regularly, but I’m not in love with this game the way that I was with RDR1. I feel like I’m dating someone who I like enough to go out with, but it’s only because I haven’t found someone new yet. Which sucks because I want to love this game, I really do.

The things that I loved about RDR1 seem to have been binned for RDR2. My favorite thing was the PvP. I loved the standoffs, but they’re gone in RDR2. Team deathmatches, we have 1 in RDR2. Forced weapon matches. Name Your Weapon is kind of that I guess, but you get your custom weapons if you own them. And the cards ensure that there is no level playing field in any match.

Stronghold has been replaced with Hostile Territory, which is basically Turf War from GTA IV. I like the idea, but the execution sucks. Instead of straight up 2 team matches it seems R* is obsessed with having multiple teams. It’s like management thinks more teams equals better game play. There’s a reason that head-to-head, 2 team game modes are the industry standard.

Grab the Bag and Hold Your Own? I’m holding out for whenever the captures are drip fed that they will be as good as RDR1, but from what I’ve seen so far I’m not hopeful.

Poker? Not there. Everyone says it’s because they can’t have the kiddies gambling (even though the game is rated 18+). The truth is legally they’re fine if the gambling is for in game currency and not gold, since gold can’t be converted into in game money. The real reason for leaving gambling out is to prevent people from giving their friends money. And don’t get me started on Liar’s Dice.

Gun Rush, I’ll let others judge. I’ve tried Fort Nite, Apex Legends, and Gun Rush, and concluded that battle royale just isn’t my thing.

Oh, and did I mention that I’m a free aim player? Yeah, thanks for nothing on that front too. Except for in races, when it’s hardest to aim, then they remove auto aim, SMH.

The free roam has been ok so far. It has met my expectation, but certainly isn’t anything to get excited about.  Camp is pointless, and I’m glad that mine despawned with the last update. At least I’m not being charged for that useless thing anymore. The stranger missions are meh. The gang hideouts aren’t available frequently enough IMO, and I have trouble finding them. I think they should show up on the pause menu map when they are active.  The daily challenges give me something to do, but they’re neither a plus or minus for me. We can’t own property, but that may be coming.

And I’m dying for more story missions, I can only replay the same ones so many times. This to me is one of the worst problems. I find it hard to believe that they don’t have more of these ready to go.

For now I don’t feel that RDO free roam is much different from single player except there are less animals, less NPCs, and I may get shot in the back by some 12 year old while fishing or jumped by a posse of griefers while hunting.

Dude!! You're like in my mind and writing stuff i'm thinking about. 😂

Not gonna repeat what you wrote but i'm gonna bold my biggest wishes i enjoyed on RDR 1 multiplayer that i would likes to see in RDO and stuff which i strongly support and agree upon.

Edited by tonko

Assblaster
5 hours ago, coach_wargo said:

Poker? Not there. Everyone says it’s because they can’t have the kiddies gambling (even though the game is rated 18+). The truth is legally they’re fine if the gambling is for in game currency and not gold, since gold can’t be converted into in game money. The real reason for leaving gambling out is to prevent people from giving their friends money.

Ok then, so why can we not gamble our cash playing poker against NPCs? Give 'em elite poker intelligence and skill so that it's a realistic challenge. I really want a Maverick-style gambler character.

Pressure Drop
3 hours ago, DrKrankenstein said:

me and my friends play daily, for hours, wether we fish,pick herbz or get disconnected, there is fun to be had.

Disconnected..... Fun.....

UTcQUJ5.gif

coach_wargo
34 minutes ago, Pressure Drop said:

Disconnected..... Fun.....

It's a daily challenge, get Error Code 0x20010006 five times. 

-fsociety-

Not dead, plenty of scrubs to farm kicking about. Happy hunting.

Van_Hellsing

I played gtao to the death. I was unhappy with the direction gtao has taken. Flying cars, ray guns and pay walls. So I retired. 

The current state of RDR2O is a disappointment, but I see the potential. There's no real alternative. Only Rockstar can pull an open world this big off. It's not certain that Rockstar will actually turn this ship around. 

Everybody was screaming "I am bored" and  "I am leaving". I stayed on to level up and to unlock stuff. Part of the fun is to beat the system without microtransactions. 

I am starting to enjoy the daily objectives in a odd way. I do hate pvp challenges, like kill 5 players with a Mauser. So many smucks volunteered, so I might as well kill them in succession with the Mauser. 

RDR2 Online is far from perfect. The crashes and the push towards mtx gives me a bad taste. If Rockstar can fix the shortcomings RDR2 online can be great. 

AddamHusayin
Posted (edited)

For some posts I saw earlier regarding microtransactions:

Why do people defend microtransactions in general? I remember when games didn't have them and they were much better for it. And it wasn't even that long ago. I'm against the modern microtransactions of today in any shape or form. Wish we could get back to the days when we just had dlc packs and season passes that actually included all the dlc. Companies just got wise to the fact that they could nickel and dime people and squeeze just as much money as they can without people complaining too much to lose sales. Sometimes they go too far (EA battlefront 2 being a great example) and they have to scale back. And I just can't wrap my head around how this is acceptable in any way shape or form now but that's the reality we got to live with because so many people buy into it. I think that games in general are worse off for it.

Just think how much fun you were having playing RDR1 multiplayer and GTA IV multiplayer compared to both online successors.

That said I actually had fun playing RDR Online but everyone else I know was driven away from it. This always happens for the same reasons and it's no fun on your own. I just wish things were different when it came to how multiplayer portions of games are handled. Back to the old days.

Edited by AddamHusayin

Ektope
2 minutes ago, AddamHusayin said:

Why do people defend microtransactions in general? I remember when games didn't have them and they were much better for it. And it wasn't even that long ago. I'm against the modern microtransactions of today in any shape or form. Wish we could get back to the days when we just had dlc packs and season passes that actually included all the dlc. Companies just got wise to the fact that they could nickel and dime people and squeeze just as much money as they can without people complaining too much to lose sales. Sometimes they go too far (EA battlefront 2 being a great example) and they have to scale back. And I just can't wrap my head around how this is acceptable in any way shape or form now but that's the reality we got to live with because so many people buy into it. I think that games in general are worse off for it.

Just think how much fun you were having playing RDR1 multiplayer and GTA IV multiplayer compared to both online successors.

This doesn't make sense. How do people defend microtransaction? DLC's and season passes ARE microtransactions. Any financial payment for content online is microtransaction. We've been contributing all along, over the years. Even before you realised it.

Red Dead at the moment doesn't have DLC's or Season Pass for you to buy. Rockstar games in general don't even have both these. They give us free updates, DLC's which seems or functions like a Season Pass, all along. But we have to use currency in-game to purchase or access the newer stuff.

ghostsoap01
11 minutes ago, AddamHusayin said:

That said I actually had fun playing RDR Online but everyone else I know was driven away from it. This always happens for the same reasons and it's no fun on your own. I just wish things were different when it came to how multiplayer portions of games are handled. Back to the old days.

It says a lot about the docile nature of people when time comes to make a stand for something. People would rather not do anything about it because it means less effort, and then a few years pass and you find yourself in the state we are in now. We're in so deep at this point that most people accept it as a fact of life, bitter as it may be.

AddamHusayin
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ektope said:

This doesn't make sense. How do people defend microtransaction? DLC's and season passes ARE microtransactions. Any financial payment for content online is microtransaction. We've been contributing all along, over the years. Even before you realised it.

Red Dead at the moment doesn't have DLC's or Season Pass for you to buy. Rockstar games in general don't even have both these. They give us free updates, DLC's which seems or functions like a Season Pass, all along. But we have to use currency in-game to purchase or access the newer stuff.

This is what I'm taking about. No I realized it a long time ago. I never complained about dlcs and season passes because that's how it used to be. But those forms of microtransactions were acceptable to me and many others. People didn't rant and rave about them like they do now because it's different and worse.

When I talk about microtransactions I'm talking about how they are nickel and diming people with lootboxes, skins, guns, items, clothing, etc. That's why I said modern microstranactions. I'm specifically talking about games just being designed to get you to buy items instead of earning them because you don'thave time to grind for them. It's just designed for you to encourage to to buy your way. Doesn't anyone remember that Rockstar even rolled back the ridiculous prices on items already in this beta? If no one complained then rockstar would've just left it that way. Back then these wouldn't exist. You would actually be able to unlock guns, items, clothing through achievements and leveling up. Those days are gone. And I miss those days.

Yes, it is free in a sense. But that's exactly how they want you to justify it. I just can't believe this. Games were so much better and weren't designed around this back then. I stopped playing Red Dead Online because of it. Imagine if they didn't have those in the game? And it was basically RDR1 multiplayer 2.0? Now that would be a godsend.

25 minutes ago, ghostsoap01 said:

It says a lot about the docile nature of people when time comes to make a stand for something. People would rather not do anything about it because it means less effort, and then a few years pass and you find yourself in the state we are in now. We're in so deep at this point that most people accept it as a fact of life, bitter as it may be.

You're absolutely right and it just makes me feel like we're missing out. Looking back on what I like to call the golden age of gaming I'm grateful that I was able to experience such an amazing era.

Edited by AddamHusayin

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, AddamHusayin said:

Why do people defend microtransactions in general?

(Snipped for space)

Isn't playing a game with these microtransactions still supporting them though?

Don't mean to knock you as I agree it's getting out of hand IMHO too, but playing is helping companies do this too.

36 minutes ago, AddamHusayin said:

This is what I'm taking about. No I realized it a long time ago. I never complained about dlcs and season passes because that's how it used to be. But those forms of microtransactions were acceptable to me and many others. People didn't rant and rave about them like they do now because it's different and worse.

And some don't complain because this form of microtransactions is acceptable to them. Just because the older model of recurring spending suited you, it's wasn't for all.

And microtransactions or season passes/paid DLC isn't how it used to be. It used to be 'want more, wait for the next game' so to speak. Basically we'd buy a full game and be happy with it until another comes along that draws our attention, or unhappy and get another full title to play.

(Just playing devils advocate here mind you, not looking to come across as defending how modern gaming is looking to penny pinch as I feel they are).

AddamHusayin
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Isn't playing a game with these microtransactions still supporting them though?

Don't mean to knock you as I agree it's getting out of hand IMHO too, but playing is helping companies do this too.

And some don't complain because this form of microtransactions is acceptable to them. Just because the older model of recurring spending suited you, it's wasn't for all.

And microtransactions or season passes/paid DLC isn't how it used to be. It used to be 'want more, wait for the next game' so to speak. Basically we'd buy a full game and be happy with it until another comes along that draws our attention, or unhappy and get another full title to play.

(Just playing devils advocate here mind you, not looking to come across as defending how modern gaming is looking to penny pinch as I feel they are).

You're absolutely right. My friends all bought call of duty black ops 4 but I refused to because of microtransactions and no singleplayer campaign. There's quite a few games I've passed on but all my friends bought because they had microtransactions and I didn't want to support it. I bought red dead 2 for the single player. I was hoping they would learn a little from gta online but it's just a fool's dream.

I think the old model was reasonable because they actually gave you content that was substantial and consistent with the cost. If it wasn't acceptable for some people then, well they must not even play video games now.

No it's okay. You're post doesn't come across as defending it to me. And yeah it did use to be wait until the next game but online changed that. However, I think it was done right I mean we've gotten some great DLCs in the past. Undead Nightmare, Episodes of Liberty City. But with the Evan's Repeater not even going to single player, it just signals to me that we probably won't get any single player content in the future. Oh well at least you guys have a PC release to look forward to.

Edited by AddamHusayin

LorshZontek

Its not completely dead but its pretty close to being dead, rockstar have not been handling this online mode well at all and it seems like they thought people would buy the gold bars 

Lonely-Martin
1 minute ago, AddamHusayin said:

You're absolutely right. My friends all bought call of duty black ops 4 but I refused to because of microtransactions and no singleplayer campaign. There's quite a few games I've passed on but all my friends bought because they had microtransactions and I didn't want to support it. I bought red dead 2 for the single player. I was hoping they would learn a little from gta online but it's just a fool's dream.

I think the old model was reasonable because they actually gave you content that was substantial and consistent with the cost. If it wasn't acceptable for some people then, well they must not even play video games now.

No it's okay. You're post doesn't come across as defending it to me. And yeah it did use to be wait until the next game but online changed that. However, I think it was done right I mean we've gotten some great DLCs in the past. Undead Nightmare, Episodes of Liberty City. But with the Evan's Repeater not even going to single player, it just signals to me that we probably won't get any single player content in the future. Oh well at least we have a PC release to look forward to I hope.

Yeah, I agree with the older DLC model being more substantial and also companies were more held accountable to make things more universally appealing too. If a DLC like that wasn't of value, many just wouldn't buy it. Companies had to put the effort in to be sure it worked without error and such too.

And it's a huge shame story mode here and in GTA doesn't get the latest content added there. (Although GTA got some early on and during the re-release to current gen of course). Would love to have seen this all go offline too, even if after it's initial online release if need be.

And I was quite surprised the latest COD passed on a story mode too. They aren't my favourite games but I did enjoy what campaigns I did play. I really hope the cash made from day one/story modes for RDR and GTA help keep the stories coming from R* for sure. (I think it will, but we'll learn one day, when the next game comes around, lol).

Assblaster

Why so much negativity? The game is definitely improving and isn't going anywhere imo. PVP sessions are packed most of the time, and in freeroam I pass by lots of players both day and night. The game isn't all it can be sure but it'll continue to get better. I'm sticking with it in spite of its faults. Looking forward to the next update, should get outta beta soon. 😊

elfoam
20 hours ago, Rokushakubo said:

No. It's only dead to doom and gloomers who have not had their hopes and expectations met that RDO would release a huge influx of content without taking the time to make sure that the foundational experience is refined and reasonably bug free. For them, 'the end is nigh!', but the reality is that R* has the capacity and wealth to make RDO awesome and it's going to be a matter of patience cause as always, they'll go at their own pace. Once it's more fleshed out you'll get trailers all over youtube that will draw people in regardless of the jaded sentiments of the early adopters. 

They had YEARS to do this "beta testing", and they didn't even start working on the game.. If this game wasn't ready for release until 2021 then I didn't want to see it on the store shelves until 2021.

Rokushakubo
35 minutes ago, elfoam said:

They had YEARS to do this "beta testing", and they didn't even start working on the game.. If this game wasn't ready for release until 2021 then I didn't want to see it on the store shelves until 2021.

Glad they spent those 'YEARS' focusing more on the SP campaign. Also if you think that several hundred QA testers can provide the same data as several million players then you'd be waiting a LOT longer than 2021 for the kind of product you seem to expect. 

Winonas

I’m on a full Grind, Unlock, Level Up blitz right now. Bare minimum of spending. Races, hunting, stranger missions repeat. No glitches or cheats. I don’t care if there is an issue, players kill or disrupt me or I’m booted. I just continue on. The game will improve around me and until that happens I’m becoming rich. 

I like RD online and of course the magnificent single player game. It is going nowhere and will only improve. 

Rokushakubo
1 minute ago, Winonas said:

I’m on a full Grind, Unlock, Level Up blitz right now. Bare minimum of spending. Races, hunting, stranger missions repeat. No glitches or cheats. I don’t care if there is an issue, players kill or disrupt me or I’m booted. I just continue on. The game will improve around me and until that happens I’m becoming rich. 

I like RD online and of course the magnificent single player game. It is going nowhere and will only improve. 

100% what I'm doing and my philosophy :) 

Chrismads
2 hours ago, LorshZontek said:

Its not completely dead but its pretty close to being dead, rockstar have not been handling this online mode well at all and it seems like they thought people would buy the gold bars 

Its not pretty close being dead. Alot of people plays. And alot of ppl has bought gold bars.

But I see a picture of ppl who took the easy route and bought gold bars, being the ones bitching that there's nothing to do and swearing off RDO. 

I got plenty to do. I got gold and dollars I need to earn. That will keep me busy for a while.

Got 62 bars in the bank and spend alot on horses and clothes.

And with these newdaily challenges, there should be no reason for anyone to not earn the gold themselves.