The Half-Blood Prince

MOTW #129

MOTW #129  

5 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who should win the MOTW #129?

• "Operation: DICE", by VikingEVM
    • "Dirty Drug Deal", by RithRake24

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/14/2019 at 02:00 AM

RithRake24

Hey thanks @RyanAB for the review and the vote!

Seth
26 minutes ago, RithRake24 said:

Hey thanks @RyanAB for the review and the vote!

Congrats for your win! Do us a great theme for next MOTW!

RithRake24
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Seth said:

Congrats for your win! Do us a great theme for next MOTW!

I'll try and think of a great theme, but just saying, I haven't won yet! There's still 6.5 hours to go...

From the position he's at, Viking can still make a surprise comeback...

Still, I hope I win. A win in my first ever MOTW would be amazing.

Edited by RithRake24

RyanAB
52 minutes ago, RithRake24 said:

I'll try and think of a great theme, but just saying, I haven't won yet! There's still 6.5 hours to go...

From the position he's at, Viking can still make a surprise comeback...

Still, I hope I win. A win in my first ever MOTW would be amazing.

If you win this MOTW, then you can give us a nice theme for all.

Mocozmo

My vote goes to "Operation: DICE", by VikingEVM

The mission was fun to play, the Operation was excellent and well done on the enemies along with the cutscenes.

RithRake24
Posted (edited)

Ok now we have a tie... and there’s 7 minutes left for voting.

Also I just realised, there are 7 voters, and @Roxie‘s mission only had 5 downloads... something’s fishy.

Not everyone played ALL missions before voting. Either that, or the website is showing wrong stats (which could be possible tbh)

Edited by RithRake24

The Half-Blood Prince

One more day of voting between the two missions who were tied for the top.

You have until tomorrow at 11:00PM -3 GMT

omigawail
4 hours ago, RithRake24 said:

Ok now we have a tie... and there’s 7 minutes left for voting.

Also I just realised, there are 7 voters, and @Roxie‘s mission only had 5 downloads... something’s fishy.

Not everyone played ALL missions before voting. Either that, or the website is showing wrong stats (which could be possible tbh)

The website is bugged. I've had missions where the the downloads were double the views.

RithRake24
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, omigawail said:

The website is bugged. I've had missions where the the downloads were double the views.

Okay that makes sense...

By the way, are you going to vote?

Edited by RithRake24

omigawail

Unfortunately I was absent the last two days, but now I am free to play the missions. I liked both of them (didn't play Roxie's and Seth's), but there are still some flaws that need more polishing. Here's my opinion on the two.

RithRake's Dirty Drug Deal

Spoiler

The dialogue was great, though the little explanations between parentheses like (Chris Explaining His Plan) and (The Mob Arriving) are unnecessary, and it would be better and more immersive if you portray what's going on with conversations between the characters, and not narration breaks. For example, when the mob arrived, instead of just arriving abruptly, the cartel boss could receive a phone call from one of his goons guarding the secondary entrance to the building (Assuming they are competent enough to do that, since they left a huge opening on the other side where the police came from), hiding and warning them of the upcoming mafia thugs. Small talk between the cartel members like this, or just casual conversations helps humanize them more, so it feels like you are killing actual gangsters not clicking at an NPC's hitbox with a gun to finish an objective.

The shootout sequence was great, but the police ai was really dumb and stuck out like a sore thumb in cutscenes. Follow Player sucks for things like this. They couldn't even climb the stairs, but then they are teleported to the cover place standing there, jumping around and doing usual GTA SA ai shenanigans. It would be better if you spawned them in Hold Position behavior and gave them a crouching animation.

The explosion looked amazing and the drop to death was dramatic and fun to watch. But I got confused, at first I thought the gangster jumping to his death is now driving the van somehow? It's hard to understand, because the transition happens with no introduction, I was just told that I am played as a random unnamed cartel member with no relevance to the story. At least explain how he survived the gunfight and what he is planning to do with the van. Before the checkpoint objective, timeout objectives are a great addition and add a lot of flavor to the story and give the characters some personality. We are playing as a cartel member in this part of the mission, at least give him some dialogue.

Nothing to say about the ending, it was simple but great. The plot twist was nice, the final countdown leading to the explosion as well.

Overall: The explosion with the jump was really nice, it didn't make sense, but of course action movies don't make sense either so who cares. 9/10

Viking's Operation Dice

Spoiler

While this mission's gameplay was much better than Dirty Drug Deal, it unfortunately suffered the same flaws that the other mission suffered from, only more intensely. Despite this, he mission was very thematic. Everything from the weather, to the eerie emptiness of San Fierro, to the trashy NPC skins used helps set the creepy and unsettling mood of the entire thing. Fittingly, it felt like I am in a post-apocalyptic world where a civil war tore the country apart.

It's never really implied we are playing as the good guys fighting terrorists. The story is very confusing, and I still don't understand who's the enemy and what exactly are the goals of these antisocials. Sometimes, mystery is great for the story, but it in this case it is just ambiguity. In the end, the players could feel that none of the killing in the mission mattered, because they don't even know what they are killing. Why is there a chainsaw wielding maniac with a bunch of terrorists?

The gameplay redeems all of these issues. Killing might be meaningless, but it is surely fun as f*ck. What satisfied me with this mission is that it didn't feel like I was the only guy doing the job in the squad. Teamwork is apparent between members of the militia force. Even though the mission was easy, I let the friendly NPC's do some of the killing cause they were capable. Boxing in the terrorists to kill them off, and combat on all fronts with large-scale firefights is what makes an action mission. The tight corridors of the terrorist hideout were ok, but the mission shines in the alley fights. It felt like I was fighting the enemy in his home. Terrorists attacked from all sides, using the geography of San Fierro on their side. This really made the shootout a lot more fun, though more places to take cover and higher accuracy on enemies would be great too.

Overall: I don't know who to side with on this one. Give me dislikable antagonists like uhh... shuffles deck, draws a card  angry hippies and homeless people with guns. 9/10

I really don't know who to vote for on this one, both missions were great and picking something over another would be an injustice because they are to me equally as good. Good luck to both of you, and to whoever wins: give us a good theme!

RithRake24
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, omigawail said:

Unfortunately I was absent the last two days, but now I am free to play the missions. I liked both of them (didn't play Roxie's and Seth's), but there are still some flaws that need more polishing. Here's my opinion on the two.

RithRake's Dirty Drug Deal

Reveal hidden contents

The dialogue was great, though the little explanations between parentheses like (Chris Explaining His Plan) and (The Mob Arriving) are unnecessary, and it would be better and more immersive if you portray what's going on with conversations between the characters, and not narration breaks. For example, when the mob arrived, instead of just arriving abruptly, the cartel boss could receive a phone call from one of his goons guarding the secondary entrance to the building (Assuming they are competent enough to do that, since they left a huge opening on the other side where the police came from), hiding and warning them of the upcoming mafia thugs. Small talk between the cartel members like this, or just casual conversations helps humanize them more, so it feels like you are killing actual gangsters not clicking at an NPC's hitbox with a gun to finish an objective.

The shootout sequence was great, but the police ai was really dumb and stuck out like a sore thumb in cutscenes. Follow Player sucks for things like this. They couldn't even climb the stairs, but then they are teleported to the cover place standing there, jumping around and doing usual GTA SA ai shenanigans. It would be better if you spawned them in Hold Position behavior and gave them a crouching animation.

The explosion looked amazing and the drop to death was dramatic and fun to watch. But I got confused, at first I thought the gangster jumping to his death is now driving the van somehow? It's hard to understand, because the transition happens with no introduction, I was just told that I am played as a random unnamed cartel member with no relevance to the story. At least explain how he survived the gunfight and what he is planning to do with the van. Before the checkpoint objective, timeout objectives are a great addition and add a lot of flavor to the story and give the characters some personality. We are playing as a cartel member in this part of the mission, at least give him some dialogue.

Nothing to say about the ending, it was simple but great. The plot twist was nice, the final countdown leading to the explosion as well.

Overall: The explosion with the jump was really nice, it didn't make sense, but of course action movies don't make sense either so who cares. 9/10

Viking's Operation Dice

Reveal hidden contents

While this mission's gameplay was much better than Dirty Drug Deal, it unfortunately suffered the same flaws that the other mission suffered from, only more intensely. Despite this, he mission was very thematic. Everything from the weather, to the eerie emptiness of San Fierro, to the trashy NPC skins used helps set the creepy and unsettling mood of the entire thing. Fittingly, it felt like I am in a post-apocalyptic world where a civil war tore the country apart.

It's never really implied we are playing as the good guys fighting terrorists. The story is very confusing, and I still don't understand who's the enemy and what exactly are the goals of these antisocials. Sometimes, mystery is great for the story, but it in this case it is just ambiguity. In the end, the players could feel that none of the killing in the mission mattered, because they don't even know what they are killing. Why is there a chainsaw wielding maniac with a bunch of terrorists?

The gameplay redeems all of these issues. Killing might be meaningless, but it is surely fun as f*ck. What satisfied me with this mission is that it didn't feel like I was the only guy doing the job in the squad. Teamwork is apparent between members of the militia force. Even though the mission was easy, I let the friendly NPC's do some of the killing cause they were capable. Boxing in the terrorists to kill them off, and combat on all fronts with large-scale firefights is what makes an action mission. The tight corridors of the terrorist hideout were ok, but the mission shines in the alley fights. It felt like I was fighting the enemy in his home. Terrorists attacked from all sides, using the geography of San Fierro on their side. This really made the shootout a lot more fun, though more places to take cover and higher accuracy on enemies would be great too.

Overall: I don't know who to side with on this one. Give me dislikable antagonists like uhh... shuffles deck, draws a card  angry hippies and homeless people with guns. 9/10

I really don't know who to vote for on this one, both missions were great and picking something over another would be an injustice because they are to me equally as good. Good luck to both of you, and to whoever wins: give us a good theme!

Thank you so so much for the reviews! When I first saw the 'Action' theme, my first reaction was, "hey, let's throw logic out the window and create a visual spectacle!" And that's what I did. I was completely aware that the ramp explosion made no sense, but it did look beautiful as hell, so I told myself, "why not?" 

Another thing; the cartel member you play as is the same guy who jumped off the roof. I should have made this clearer with some extra cutscenes showing him getting up and running to the vehicle, but hey, this mission was already giving me a thousand issues and I felt that I didn't want to make it any longer than it already was. I once again threw logic out of the window for this one; no one in real life would survive that jump, but hey, Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone would have no problem nailing it in movies. I just wanted it to look good; to have cool effects and a cool gunfight.

But hey, thanks for your advice on the timeout objectives. It's definitely something I'd look into in the (near) future. The point you made about the "follow player" is also 100% true, and I'll be more careful with things like that from now on.

Anyway, thanks for the review, man! You're great!

(Still sad you couldn't choose between either of us...)

EDIT: I did find the homeless models in Viking's mission quite weird as well.

Edited by RithRake24

xXPinguXx

I have played both missions I would like to review both of them.

Dirty Drug Deal by @RithRake24: Not bad for a newbie. The dialogue was top notch, but what Omigawail said, I wouldn't really put text in parentheses like (CHRIS EXPLAINING HIS PLAN) or (THE MOB ARRIVES). I understand why you put "the mob arrives" to make it clear that it's the mob coming, but I would have loved it if you Chris actually explained his plan, though it would have took more objectives. On to the gameplay, I liked it how you made the cops follow the player, but they kept ramming into the back of my car for some odd reason. This is probably not your fault, but worth mentioning. We get to the deal, and then we sneak up on to the people who are doing the deal and then the mob arrives and then they fight. I really like how you used the "enemy1" and "enemy2" method, which made it awesome.

The one thing I really liked is how you made the player set the explosives without triggering a cutscene. To be honest with you, I don't know how you did that, lol. One thing though, it would have been better if the deal took place at nighttime because I wouldn't do a drug deal at broad daylight and on a roof. 

So we get to the part you drive the black van rigged with explosives, love how you transition characters. I almost died on this part though because the van caught on fire due to the cops shooting at me. It might be because I suck, but it would have been nice if you added more health to the van. I get to the red marker, and we get to the explosion countdown, was pretty nice and it didn't seem like you changed cutscenes during the countdown. Overrall, I would give it an 8.5/10, again, pretty good for a newbie.

Operation DICE by @VikingEVMThough this mission had more action/gameplay, it was a bit weird in my honest opinion. The atmosphere is fine with the whole rainy setting, but the terrorists that the player fights, doesn't look like terrorists. It seems like you just dumped some random actors and made them enemies. 

I did like the cutscene transitions and the animations to it too, the part where the SWAT team slid to the door was awesome. Had no difficulty issues with this mission.

So I will give this a whopping 8/10. I wish I can vote for both missions, but I'm gonna have to go for RithRake's mission.

P.S: Not that you guys would care or anything, but I'm writing ALL of this on my phone. For some reason, the typing is bugged on my PC, (I think it's a forum bug as it only happened when I typed on here), whenever I pressed BACKSPACE, it would go back to the beginning of the word I'm trying to backspace and then freeze up the page, which really frustrated me and that's why it took me a while to post this review.

RithRake24

@xXPinguXx

Thanks so much for the review! Your point about the fact that the deal should have happened at night is actually so true that I feel stupid now; it’s such an obvious thing that I overlooked. Thanks for all the nice things you said about the mission, this mission had been very problematic in the designing stage and all these votes make my troubles worthwhile. 

Just a few notes:

- The van was set to maximum health. I noticed that when the van was set to normal health (1000) it made the mission close to impossible even for me, the designer.  So I actually set it to 2500 which is the maximum possible. I found it highly possible to complete the mission afterward.

- I did have one second cutscenes when Chris places the explosives, however I used some tricks so that they appeared to not be cutscenes. I turned skip fading and skip widescreen on, and selected “3rd person Player” view. This meant that the cutscene didn’t have the traditional fading effect before it and also didn’t have the traditional widescreen form. And the camera stayed behind the player like it would during normal gameplay.

You can use these above notes in your future missions! 😀

P.S. I have that problem when typing on a pc too, but only when typing within spoiler tags. So if I want to put spoilers, I type it in another software and copy paste it into the spoiler tag...

xXPinguXx
3 minutes ago, RithRake24 said:

P.S. I have that problem when typing on a pc too, but only when typing within spoiler tags. So if I want to put spoilers, I type it in another software and copy paste it into the spoiler tag...

I was actually typing in spoiler tag too because I didn't want my text cluttering up the thread, but it is what it is....

The Half-Blood Prince

WINNER OF THIS WEEK:

DIRTY DRUG DEAL, by @RithRake24

* Remember you have two days to post the topic of the next MOTW.

RithRake24
Posted (edited)

So I can just go ahead and open the thread? @The Half-Blood Prince @AnDReJ98

I'm gonna open the new thread very soon, please PM me on GTAForums or Discord if there's anything about the new thread that needs to be rectified or corrected.

Edited by RithRake24

GKHEAT

Congrats! RithRake

RithRake24
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GKHEAT said:

Congrats! RithRake

Thanks a lot GKHEAT!

Edited by RithRake24