4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Parik

DragonFF - Blender GTA I/O

Estet
21 hours ago, Maxwell_Edison said:

Hello from the Spongebob: Battle For Bikini Bottom modding community!  We've been looking for a .DFF converter for blender for quite some time now as well, and are glad to see one in development. 
That being said, we're having some problems with it.  A few of us have tested it, and while it could be because our game's .DFF are on a different version or something, we thought we might as well post the errors we're getting here to see if we can get some support.

This happens when importing, in both the 2.8 and 2.7 blender builds.

d2b6ee6955c590a62ff7995f4c99cf7d.png

Have you imported a character?

Maxwell_Edison
7 hours ago, Estet said:

Have you imported a character?

I don't actually remember which model i tried importing, though some models did seem to work, so it could be that I did.  Do characters not import?  

(I don't think it was a character, actually, though maybe it had bones of some sort, which explains why "armature" appears in the error)

Estet
11 hours ago, Maxwell_Edison said:

I don't actually remember which model i tried importing, though some models did seem to work, so it could be that I did.  Do characters not import?  

(I don't think it was a character, actually, though maybe it had bones of some sort, which explains why "armature" appears in the error)

Most likely the problem was in the model.

Maxwell_Edison
14 hours ago, Estet said:

Most likely the problem was in the model.

What exactly could the problem be, though, and might compatibility come for it in the future?  I understand this is a GTA Forum, but it'd be very nice if there was an importer/exporter that could universally work more Renderware games 

Parik
2 hours ago, Maxwell_Edison said:

What exactly could the problem be, though, and might compatibility come for it in the future?  I understand this is a GTA Forum, but it'd be very nice if there was an importer/exporter that could universally work more Renderware games 

You can send me the model, and I'll have a look at it if you want. I have tried some non-GTA Renderware games with it, seems to work fine with them, although it'd probably need updates to widen the support for more of them.

Maxwell_Edison
On 3/18/2019 at 11:55 PM, Parik said:

You can send me the model, and I'll have a look at it if you want. I have tried some non-GTA Renderware games with it, seems to work fine with them, although it'd probably need updates to widen the support for more of them.

Alright.  Here's 3 models that don't work, incase they don't work for different reasons.  I do believe it's only rigged models such as characters that suffer this fate. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HM0eWxkw7-z8pnT-aiOVYRrMVmix0ZP4

Estet

When is it expected to support the import and export of .col files?

Parik
Posted (edited)

Alright.  Here's 3 models that don't work, incase they don't work for different reasons.  I do believe it's only rigged models such as characters that suffer this fate. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HM0eWxkw7-z8pnT-aiOVYRrMVmix0ZP4

I have fixed all of them except "[C30506F9] gary_bind.dff". That will need some more work to do.

When is it expected to support the import and export of .col files?

There isn't any strict date that I want to set, and I don't want to bind myself to a deadline. About the import, you can already import them. The export has been completed in the col.py module, but needs a Blender frontend.

Edited by Parik

Estet

I have fixed all of them except "[C30506F9] gary_bind.dff". That will need some more work to do.

There isn't any strict date that I want to set, and I don't want to bind myself to a deadline. About the import, you can already import them. The export has been completed in the col.py module, but needs a Blender frontend.

I understood you. Just at the moment, exporting .col is very important, because without a collision I cannot insert a model into the game.😰

Maxwell_Edison
On 3/21/2019 at 5:58 AM, Parik said:

Excellent! I wasn't really expecting any improvements let alone any done fast.  Would you like me to try and get more example models that do not work?  The modding community for BFBB is going to be so happy with this news.

Parik
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Maxwell_Edison said:

Excellent! I wasn't really expecting any improvements let alone any done fast.  Would you like me to try and get more example models that do not work?  The modding community for BFBB is going to be so happy with this news.

Absolutely. That would help to reduce the compatibility issues. Also, ascertain that all parts of a DFF are imported completely. I have noticed in the file, ([C30506F9] gary_bind.dff), there were multiple atomics referring to the same geometry. I don't know how common that is, or if it is valid in a Renderware model files.

Edited by Parik

Maxwell_Edison
On 3/23/2019 at 2:09 PM, Parik said:

Absolutely. That would help to reduce the compatibility issues. Also, ascertain that all parts of a DFF are imported completely. I have noticed in the file, ([C30506F9] gary_bind.dff), there were multiple atomics referring to the same geometry. I don't know how common that is, or if it is valid in a Renderware model files.

I'm not the most savvy in 3D modelling lingo so I'm not sure what that means, but I will send this over to Igor, the guy who develops the modding tool (and thus, what I'm using to extract the DFF files to begin with) to see what he thinks.

Here are some more files that don't work.  One of them seemingly imports correctly but throws an error, and the rest don't fully load in, or don't make an error but simply don't actually import.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t0dqMsxWcBwYjL5leLaUCDV_QM9tKHvg

shota

Are you planning to add ability to import full map+collision for each map' object? 🙂

cj2000
On 3/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, Estet said:

I understood you. Just at the moment, exporting .col is very important, because without a collision I cannot insert a model into the game.😰

Which model? Only vehicles need to have the collision in the same file as the model itself. Even in this case you cane create the col separatlly and apend it later to your model.

Parik
8 hours ago, shota said:

Are you planning to add ability to import full map+collision for each map' object? 🙂

Yes, I will work on it after I finish the TXD import/export.

Just wanted to show some of the progress since the initial release,

1. Edge Splits - The tool now automatically adds Edge Splits to vertices doubles before removing them. This makes editing the model easier as there are no doubles to come in the way. This is the better version of the older functionality provided as it now properly controls the normals as well. (Thanks to Colby for the suggestion)

49nJQHLs.png

2. Grouping Multiple Materials - As of the latest version, materials which are equal are now grouped together. This helps in editing car parts, the materials of which are duplicated in each part. (again thanks to Colby for this suggestion)

3. Better Compatibility - Thanks to several members who reported importing and exporting issues, the newer version is compatible with more types of DFFs. There is still work to do to support the console models however.

I have planned to support more features of the SA engine, such as 2dfx or breakables, and the work on the former has already begun.

Release 0.0.2

lemurboy123

Renderware 3.0.0.0 models import, but with no skinning. Can you take a look at these?

https://puu.sh/D7mmy.zip

Maxwell_Edison

Will this continue to support Blender 2.7 for the foreseeable future?  I really dislike Blender 2.8

Also I appear to be getting this when I'm trying to install it now

09f3e43de415c3f8970c3be3539121f1.png

EDIT: Nevermind, it said that, but installed it anyways despite the error?  Blender is weird.

Maxwell_Edison

(I wish I could find an actual way to edit posts, lol)

Parik
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Maxwell_Edison said:

Will this continue to support Blender 2.7 for the foreseeable future?  I really dislike Blender 2.8

Yes, as long as it doesn't conflict with the Blender 2.8 support

(I wish I could find an actual way to edit posts, lol)

You will be able to once you reach 20 or so posts ;)

On 3/30/2019 at 9:16 AM, lemurboy123 said:

Renderware 3.0.0.0 models import, but with no skinning. Can you take a look at these?

They do work fine, but it doesn't seem they have bones. Are you sure they do?

Edited by Parik

Estet
Posted (edited)

Also I appear to be getting this when I'm trying to install it now

09f3e43de415c3f8970c3be3539121f1.png

EDIT: Nevermind, it said that, but installed it anyways despite the error?  Blender is weird.

I do not understand you, Blender 2.8 is very comfortable in new clothes, it looks fresh. Yes, there are bugs but not all at once.

Edited by Estet

Estet
Posted (edited)

When exporting from a program to a game with a model, strange things happen, it does not look like it should, its polygons look "wrinkled". I can not understand, because of what is it?

g2TFI0C.png

NOTE: This is a converted model, it has no roof, I did it.

Edited by Estet

Parik
14 hours ago, Estet said:

When exporting from a program to a game with a model, strange things happen, it does not look like it should, its polygons look "wrinkled". I can not understand, because of what is it?

Does this also happen if you uncheck "Use Edge Split" before importing?

ZekeyDevine

Plain and simple, how do I do this? My goal has been to give the game a slightly bumped up facelift. But I can't get anything to work. I have my back-up files, but no matter what I do, the edited models crash the game. I started with Tommy, but that proved to be a bit much of a challenge. I've been told that the complexity of the model shouldn't matter so long as it fits the armature properly. At first I just made sure the new model was in the same place and position as the old one. That exported just fine but would crash the game. Then I decided To actually apply the old Model's armature to the new one. Being relatively new to this type of thing, I just went with automatic weights, which provided a somewhat similar feel to the original. I couldn't export this one, for whatever reason. So I said screw it and restored the models to normal. Just tonight, I decided to try something simpler. I took the Baseball Bat model, gave it a makeover, positioned it properly to match the original model, made sure to even put the Origin at the center of the 3D space just like the original. I loaded it into the game and was elated to find that I finally got through the loading screen without a crash, only to find that the game had crashed seconds later on the "Please wait..." screen.

Please, if anyone has any insight on this. Do I need to apply textures to the models before doing anything. I attempted to do that before to Tommy's normal character model, but THAT causes a crash as well. I don't know why, because me and my friend managed to replace the Radar Map and Pause Map with HD Vector versions without a crash (and they look gorgeous if I do say so myself). I even tried something as simple as swapping Tommy's In-Game Model and Texture with his Cutscene variants. Once again, crash. I swapped back to the in-game model, forgot to change the texture, 'nother crash.

I want nothing more than to make this game just that tiny bit prettier for me and my friend to enjoy. I know there are mods out there that do it already, but man, as an artist myself, doing that just takes the fun out of it. Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Estet
On 4/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, Parik said:

Does this also happen if you uncheck "Use Edge Split" before importing?

No, but you can not make that the script automatically included it?

Parik
On 4/7/2019 at 9:41 AM, ZekeyDevine said:

-snip- 

I think the issue might be with your game. Does installing other mods also cause a crash? Also, it would be better if you used "Mod Loader" (which also works with Vice City, by the way, and isn't limited to just San Andreas), which would allow you to replace in-game models without having to edit original IMG files.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, Estet said:

No, but you can not make that the script automatically included it?

I can, but I won't, it's enabled by default for a reason. If you send me your model, I'll look at it and see why it doesn't work with Edge Split.

ZekeyDevine
1 hour ago, Parik said:

I think the issue might be with your game. Does installing other mods also cause a crash? Also, it would be better if you used "Mod Loader" (which also works with Vice City, by the way, and isn't limited to just San Andreas), which would allow you to replace in-game models without having to edit original IMG files.

The only mods I've attempted to install were the DInput script and the Classic Axis camera mod. Only the first one worked, the second didn't seem to do anything. It is the steam version of the game, which I've heard isn't as bad as the steam versions of III or San Andreas.

Estet
22 hours ago, Parik said:

I can, but I won't, it's enabled by default for a reason. If you send me your model, I'll look at it and see why it doesn't work with Edge Split.

Probably this is my mistake, I will give the model a new one. If there is such a problem again, then I will appeal to you.

lemurboy123

Here's a bunch of Renderware files from Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies.

https://puu.sh/Ddt6A.zip

Maxwell_Edison

This plugin is really good.  I don't think it still properly supports every rigged model for 'BFBB but it works surprisingly well on most other models