3. Site Suggestions

dutch PLAN der linde

Gta 4 vs Gta San Andreas Gameplay

Which game has better gameplay?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which game has better gameplay?

perennial
1 hour ago, LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy said:

My only observation is, yes - if you do continuously ram into a vehicle that’s been wrecked, eventually you might get 1 star and on the police radio the dispatch describes it as “criminal damage to a car/property” IIRC.

I launched GTA IV and I can confirm this does happen, actually the first time I knowingly experienced this. I earned 1 star and the police dispatch described it as an "attack on a vehicle". In my defense though, I tried hard to make it happen totalling many cars in the process. I love small details like this.

yo boi ryobo

I love GTA 4.  The atmosphere, though gray and many times depressing, I thought was great, it's an amazing game, the vehicle controls were never really a problem for me either.  But, I do believe GTA SA is the better game all around.  The impact, the gameplay, the music, the setting, everything was incredible.  Gameplay wise, it was never boring, you always had something to do that was fun.  GTA 4 is arguably the most linear game in the series.  Don't get me wrong though, I love both games.

billiejoearmstrong8
8 hours ago, perennial said:

I launched GTA IV and I can confirm this does happen, actually the first time I knowingly experienced this. I earned 1 star and the police dispatch described it as an "attack on a vehicle". In my defense though, I tried hard to make it happen totalling many cars in the process. I love small details like this.

Wow never knew this! I guess you really have to purposely want it to happen (since it's literally never happened to me) so it's not really an annoyance. Also losing one star in IV is very quick and easy.

I've been getting into the gameplay just in freeroam in IV more and more lately. If you take your time you can have loads of fun starting fights between yourself, other peds and/or police. Whether it's getting rival gangs fighting, or a gangs vs police and/or me situation, or just a fist/melee fight or getting peds arrested, or full on gang shootout or police shootout I seem to be able to create endless different combat situations. It's so much fun, I haven't found opportunities to create situations anywhere near as detailed or varied as this in other GTA games. Great and hilarious dialogue, complex and varied responses to what you do from peds, detailed and satisfying combat and shooting, and awesome detailed driving for the getaway. I can't get enough of IV's gameplay.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Lioshenka
On 6/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, LeslieFromTheShoIntimacy said:

if you do continuously ram into a vehicle that’s been wrecked,

There we go, that's what I said. GTA 4 had a lot of features that annoyed me, so believe me, if getting a star for ramming vehicles wasn't driving me crazy I wouldn't have remembered it.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:32 PM, perennial said:
On 6/11/2019 at 8:53 PM, Lioshenka said:

Every time I tried to ram a vehicle (especially on that small second island with a street preacher) I'd get a star after about 5 bumps.

Weird since it has never happened to me. Ramming another vehicle has not given me a wanted level unless it is a police car, just like in Renderware GTAs.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:53 PM, Lioshenka said:

I would be desperately mashing my keyboard in an attempt to skip these scenes, but to no avail. Maybe it's a console only feature.

Works on my PC though there might be a small delay. I am certain there is no difference with console and PC versions in that aspect.

I bought the game when it first came out, and we all remember how bad the original PC port was. It was a legitimate copy, but I wonder if I was unlucky enough to get some sort of buggy version...

Ramming definitely got me stars if it was more than a few times, and I think it was only a couple of times I managed to evade the arrest after Niko was stopped by the police by the driver's door.

But yeah, thanks! Playing SA on PS2 is a completely different experience from PC.

Edited by Lioshenka

perennial
1 hour ago, Lioshenka said:

Ramming definitely got me stars if it was more than a few times

I tested this in GTA IV and its both DLCs and found it difficult to pull off, even with the Infernus, a rear-engine car that wouldn't break too easily. It would take me like a dozen continuous crashes on a same car on average and even then it wouldn't consistently result in a wanted level. No wonder I hadn't encountered this before and I wasn't the only one in this thread.

I think it was only a couple of times I managed to evade the arrest after Niko was stopped by the police by the driver's door

I tap the sprint button while on foot ("Shift" on default) and evading an arrest works 100% of the time. If getting busted in a car it works much like in Renderware GTAs.

But yeah, thanks! Playing SA on PS2 is a completely different experience from PC.

You're welcome! In the meantime I'll make sure to enjoy playing both SA and IV. Both are excellent games in their own ways.

Edited by perennial