Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Summer Special
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA 6

      1. St Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

    6. GTA Vice City Stories

    7. GTA Liberty City Stories

    8. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    9. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    10. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    11. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Len Lfc

Analyzing The Past to Predict the Future - Everything We Should Consider on the Road to GTA VI

Recommended Posts

MrQuiche

They used some motion capture tools from Dynamixyz which is based in France,kinda funny when you're french and that the street name of the company matches the one where you live...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Holy sh*t guyS, Tim Neff IS Credited in RDR2!!!

 

 

TIMOTHY NEFF

Edited by Len Lfc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DisCrafted
1 hour ago, Len Lfc said:

Holy sh*t guyS, Tim Neff IS Credited in RDR2!!!

 

TIMOTHY NEFF

Yeah. I figured he's gonna be there. The timing is interesting though. I don't think R* would be doing mo cap for VI that early.

Edited by DisCrafted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Key thing to remember is he's just a stunt actor, and doesn't play a character role. So he could just have been working on some stuff pretty early on. Or just Online stuff. OR, someone saw his instagram and faked it all, and it's just coincidence they were half right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Minor update. After discovering the Tim Neff leak turned out to be legit (even if it was possibly only coincidentally legit) It altered how I thought about things. Initially, my thought was that they were all in on RDR2, as Rockstar Studios. And I originally did speculate this, but no more than it being a possibility. I think it could be more likely that they have been working on GTA VI more than we (I) believed. It's possible my predictions could be off by a year or so, and we may see GTA 6 sooner. However, just as likely with their ever growing ambition to make their next game even bigger and better, that might just lead to their next game taking even longer. Effectively meaning it won't release sooner than I thought. 

 

 

"Bite off more than we can chew. If you don't do that, you're going to do what you did last time"

"Always being more ambitious than ever seemed sensible"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

Great thread! I do think that GTA VI has been in development for a very long time, and I believe that they know already where it's going to be set. I wouldn't be surprised if they began the really early pre-production work around 2014, but with GTA Online taking off, RDR2's development, and the whole mess with Benzies & Friends all leaving Rockstar and the lawsuit surrounding that, this is why things have been taking a lot longer. I think that this is also why RDR2 took a long time to come out. I feel like if the boat wasn't rocked for them in 2015 with Benzies and if things turned out different (and depending on RDR2's development overall, since I heard that there were still issues surrounding its development), they could have definitely made their initial Fall 2017 release date, if not getting it out a little sooner (May 2017 would be it).

 

Interesting point you bring up regarding leaks, too. I had a discussion with a friend about this the other day, and we both figured that with the significant staff changes, Rockstar simply got sloppy since this sort of thing usually never happened. Same with the exact details about the Epilogue being known over a year before the game came out, how the f*ck does that happen? The only game/story leaks we've seen before that were when the games finally go gold and get shipped to stores and copies basically get stolen and people were uploading videos and information to the web, and in V's case, audio was leaked (radio stations and a lot of the cutscene dialogue was out in August 2013). But this is also usually about a month or so before release, not years before.

 

Also, you might not have known this, and I don't know how much this can be believed, but in March 2012, a user here made a thread claiming to be a former Rockstar employee who quit in October 2011, around the time V was announced. First, he starts off describing what he says was the initial release schedule for GTA V. Summer 2012 was the first goal, but he speculated that October/November 2012 would be more likely. Given how early GTA V's announcement and trailer release were compared to the next set of info we got as well as when it finally came out, I always thought that they intended on releasing V WAY sooner than September 2013, and even sooner than Spring 2013 (the initial announced release date). I think they just ran into some serious development issues that took longer to figure out than anticipated (the build log cites a lot of issues surrounding things like the yoga minigame and the initial concept for GTA Online).

 

But then this guy drops the fact that the game would have three protagonists and gives their names. He got two out of the three right. Michael, Trevor, and Albert. I know Michael is already a common name, but that added onto Trevor and the fact that he knew the game would have 3 protagonists back when everybody thought it was just Michael makes me think that he might have actually known this as a fact (of course, this would mean that Franklin's name was initially Albert during development, and that it was changed to Franklin around 2011 when they probably started recording dialogue).

 

I can totally see disgruntled ex-employees of Rockstar leaking stuff on RDR2 out of spite. Between that one GTA V leak being very close to being right and RDR2's leaks being spot-on, if anybody left around the time of the Benzies scandal or after, if they knew anything about GTA 6, then I wouldn't be surprised if some of the stuff later turns out to be correct. Whether it's in Vice City, or one of the areas circulated in those apparent production notes from the NeoGAF user. By the way, regarding Dan Houser's statement on being thankful VI isn't out in this political climate, keep in mind that these guys are known to say one thing and can go back on it in an instant. When asked about GTA V having returning characters from IV, the first thing they said was that Packie WOULDN'T return. Also, I feel like if the modern political climate is simply too difficult to work with, this could be the perfect excuse for another GTA set in a past time period.

 

By the way, I dunno why, but I feel like if Bully 2 isn't next, it's at least being worked on. Personally, I'd rather see Bully 2 before another GTA. Another entry in that franchise is long overdue. I think the casting calls out of Pinewood Studios for an untitled video game that appears to be set at a school looks promising. I get that Rockstar tend to do mocap at their building in New York, but using Pinewood would indicate that this school-based game is set in Britain (and I'd love to see them take the piss out of their own culture for once, so I hope it's true). I also wouldn't be surprised if the Timothy Neff pictures turned out to be early work for GTA VI, either (and I hope that's true, too, since he was kneeling with a rocket launcher in a pic and it'd mean that crouching is back instead of your character just hunching over like an old man with a bad back, a.k.a. "stealth mode").

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Yeah, we know it's the very first thing they do, set the location and build the map.

 

Quote

I remember sitting down and chatting about what the [next] game was going to be with Aaron [Garbut], Sam [Houser], and Dan [Houser]. That's kind of when the whole idea of heists came about, opening up the missions and making them much larger. We also decided where it was going to be based, so some people got started on making the map because the map takes forever to make. But besides that, we didn't really do anything early on because we were working on Red Dead Redemption and then L.A. Noire. So it wouldn't have been until a year or so later that we could really get into the nuts and bolts of what the game was going to be.

 

At this point it's almost certain they've build something. Considering how different RDR2 looks from trailer 1 to final release, I'm not sure if the whole Leslie Benzies thing delayed it by a year. They mentioned in an interview that one day they decided to add cinematic black bars for the cutscenes, make it more movie like, letterbox. That added a lot of time, as they had to re record all the cutscenes as the framing was then off. I'm sure it had an effect, but I feel like Rockstar set a release window, but constantly think of new things or tweak or change things and it just slows them down. That or it's just their marketing strategy lol

 

I didn't know about that 2012 leak, no. I'm not sure what to think about it. guessing those names is big. But Albert was Michael's name in the casting call from February 2011. So it could be a well thought out hoax, or legit, but not his department so he didn't know, etc... I don't know tbh. EDIT: Franklin was reference in the GTA V build log on June 10th 2011. I'm almost certain he was always called Franklin. Besides, Albert doesn't feel like a name that would fit a person like him lol

 

Actually, they probably started recording dialogue in 2010. Or more accurately, started acting (Performance Capture)

 

 

Solo details how he would go to NY from LA for 3 straight weeks, then go back home for a month, and repeat. They did this for 3 years. And yeah, people lie. The latest and best example is Avenger 4, and the Russos confirming it would not be called Endgame... and then it was. And then Feige confirms the reason why Doctor Strange says the line about being in the endgame was because the next movie was called Endgame. People lie all the time. But I think the Housers quotes are more to do with GTA VI not releasing in 2018, rather than actually making it now.

 

Personally, I just want GTA VI next, I like Bully, but I can happily wait. However, it would be nice to have another Rockstar game to play while waiting for VI, I'd just wish it were similar to Max Payne 3, in that they announce the next GTA  before their upcoming game releases. Makes me happier to play the next game and takes the 'stress' off, or relief of knowing what you really want is coming, if that makes sense.

 

I do like the theory or idea of the next Bully being in the UK, though. I could genuinely see that happening.

Edited by Len Lfc
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous

One thing can be predicted about the setting is that it'll likely be huge again, at least not smaller than V's. Online is now a priority in the series and it'd not efficiently work if the map isn't big and diverse enough. A single-city map, like Liberty City, is likely not happening. With planes and fast vehicles, more playable area is required to fuel the player's enjoyment, creating many hot spots around the map. Countryside and rural towns are apparently now integral to the Grand Theft Auto experience. I personally expect VI's map to be larger than V's by 1.5× at least. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
1 hour ago, Jabalous said:

One thing can be predicted about the setting is that it'll likely be huge again, at least not smaller than V's. Online is now a priority in the series and it'd not efficiently work if the map isn't big and diverse enough. A single-city map, like Liberty City, is likely not happening. With planes and fast vehicles, more playable area is required to fuel the player's enjoyment, creating many hot spots around the map. Countryside and rural towns are apparently now integral to the Grand Theft Auto experience. I personally expect VI's map to be larger than V's by 1.5× at least. 

 

Exactly my thinking. Sure, you could sell tonnes of super cars and guns in Liberty City. But without decent space or multiple airfields for aircraft or decent terrain for off road vehicles or anything exotic and exciting, you'll struggle to have a diverse range of toys to 'sell' to online players. My only problem is we ultimately know it's up to the Housers where they set their games, and they care more for the characters and story. But I just struggle to see them going small after how big Online became...

 

BTW, aren't you the one who discovered the casting call for GTA V, back in February 2011?

Edited by Len Lfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6fangedcutthroatTV
On 3/2/2019 at 12:25 PM, Len Lfc said:

Key thing to remember is he's just a stunt actor, and doesn't play a character role. So he could just have been working on some stuff pretty early on. Or just Online stuff. OR, someone saw his instagram and faked it all, and it's just coincidence they were half right...

 

Or it's old animations reused and much of their stuff is like that, so he's credited, because he is used in it. I'm not saying he didn't do work for RDR2, just that it's possible that these are leftovers, cuts, or reuse from previous games, requiring the same credit to be given.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
4 minutes ago, HelloMyNameIsHuman said:

 

Or it's old animations reused and much of their stuff is like that, so he's credited, because he is used in it. I'm not saying he didn't do work for RDR2, just that it's possible that these are leftovers, cuts, or reuse from previous games, requiring the same credit to be given.

Certainly possible, but photographic evidence places him personally at Rockstar San Diego on February 22nd, 2017. "Here we go again! To another good couple of days" This would suggest an active part, rather than old stuff being repurposed. Unless you mean what he did for RDR2 is being reused in GTA VI, as that is definitely a possibility.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6fangedcutthroatTV

Nice! I would accept that as "fresh animations" then, for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
2 hours ago, Len Lfc said:

Exactly my thinking. Sure, you could sell tonnes of super cars and guns in Liberty City. But without decent space or multiple airfields for aircraft or decent terrain for off road vehicles or anything exotic and exciting, you'll struggle to have a diverse range of toys to 'sell' to online players. My only problem is we ultimately know it's up to the Housers where they set their games, and they care more for the characters and story. But I just struggle to see them going small after how big Online became...

You're definitely right about that. It's going to be a map that includes city and countryside. It'd be nice if there's at least one other city, this is something that I believe V was missing. While Online seems to be the main focus for GTA now, I hope they don't forget that a brilliant single player campaign will still sell and it's something that a ton of people still appreciate.

 

If they were to bring back Liberty City, I think they should pull an RDR2 with the map and expand on it. Have an updated city, but also include countryside and make it a state. IV's original map concept was based on entire the state of New York before they decided to just focus on LC. They never released this concept, but it was mentioned in a magazine article. I drew up my own interpretation of what Liberty as a state would look like a long time ago, and I still think that if they brought back LC, this would be a good way of reintroducing it to the series.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

I was fine with GTA V being only one city. Sure, it felt like the highways didn't really go anywhere, they just passed through some small places on a loop back to LS. And they made the world so dense that the large map felt crowded and ultimately made it feel small (for me, personally)

 

RDR2 is proof that Rockstar won't, and can't release their next big game without a single player. It's just not what they do, so I think those fears are, while understandable, a bit silly.

 

I'd love them to expand on both LC and southern SA. I remember them talking about GTA IV's original map, so it's nice to see someone visualize it. Nice work! Really can't wait for the mapping GTA VI thread! 😆

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
On 3/9/2019 at 6:30 AM, Len Lfc said:

And they made the world so dense that the large map felt crowded and ultimately made it feel small (for me, personally)

 

RDR2 is proof that Rockstar won't, and can't release their next big game without a single player. It's just not what they do, so I think those fears are, while understandable, a bit silly.

 

I'd love them to expand on both LC and southern SA. I remember them talking about GTA IV's original map, so it's nice to see someone visualize it. Nice work! Really can't wait for the mapping GTA VI thread! 😆 

The first point you made is actually part of the problem I had with V's map. It was huge, but nowhere really felt isolated. In the countryside, you were always close to civilization and roads, and the desert was small as f*ck. The city itself was also WAY too densely packed for something that's supposed to be based on Los Angeles. They basically just took almost every densely populated part of the city and stuck them together.

 

And it's not that their next game won't have a single player, my fear was just that single player would be short and lackluster because GTA Online will be their top priority since that know that it's what will make them most of their money. I can only hope that the fact that Red Dead Online is flopping is making them realize that you need a much more engaging single player experience than what V provided.

 

Thanks, too! I think going back on whatever their old map concept was for LC and expanding the IV map to include it would be the best way of bringing back Liberty City. Considering how "Upstate," "East Island," and "The Carraways" are all prominently mentioned in some way, it's obvious that more exists outside of just LC, we simply can't see it and Niko's story never took him to any of those places. I think it was originally a case of Rockstar biting off more than they could chew and realizing early on (way early, during pre-production since nothing in the files exists indicating anything about the game's map being a state) that they had to scale back, but on the next-gen consoles, I'll bet it could be done.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc

Yeah, like I said. I get the fear of a lackluster single player. But everything we hear about Rockstars ambitions, and specifically Dan Houser and wanting to simulate the world as realistically as possible. I just don't fear the single player being lackluster, or overshadowed by Online. I think that will happen post launch though.

 

You say how Upstate, East Island and the Carraways are mentioned. Do you mean in game, or what we've heard online? Rockstar Biting off more than they can chew sums them up perfectly. I have no doubt they could do their initial vision of Liberty City. The problem is things scale. As in, sure they now have the hardware to do it, but all the new things they want, want to do, etc, all take up more power. I don't think we'll ever see it. But I also can't see them ever redoing those cities, like they did for the HD era. Having said that, eventually they'd like to have them all in one big online world, and.... well who knows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

Simulating the world as realistically as possible is only possible in single player for now, too. With both GTA Online and Red Dead Online, both multiplayer modes have very clear downgrades in details from single player (no animals in GTA, stiff clothing in both, and less NPCs in both). Still sucks that single player basically gets ignored post-launch, since story DLC would be appreciated. I would have been curious to see the single player DLCs they had in mind for V, even though I can't say I'm crazy about them using aliens and zombies as fodder for the story. It reminds me a bit too much of Saints Row IV for my liking.

 

I mean they're mentioned in-game, btw. I forget the reference in IV, but the Carraways are prominently mentioned in TLAD and BOGT in dialogue, and it's clear that they're supposed to be a parody of the Hamptons in Long Island. Long Island itself is referenced through East Island City (based on Long Island City), and I could have sworn that "East Island" was mentioned somewhere in the game, as well. And Upstate is referred to numerous times by NPCs and in the in-game media. I don't think LC and LS will be redone, either. A friend suggested that they could be, but unlike LC from III, I think they're a bit more satisfied with the map this time around. Adding on their initial vision for it being attached to a state is possible, and it's something I'd still like to see them do one day, but you're right about how they'd probably still try to go too far.

 

Speaking of a big online world, do you think Liberty City was going to be imported into GTA Online at some point? This image of Middle Park was posted by a former Rockstar employee on their portfolio before they removed it, and it's clearly been upgraded with V's water and trees, the ground textures are different, and the rocks have been remodeled.

3Uq51Tn.png

 

Here's how this exact spot looks in IV.

RziEqqQ.png

 

I don't think they would have been working on something like this for no reason. The only three explanations for this are either it was going to be used in the canceled single player DLC (which I doubt, since the leaks don't seem to indicate anything about a location change), it was a remaster of IV that ended up getting put on hold or canceled, or it was gonna be an add-on to GTA Online that got canceled, but it would have been the start of them building their online "world."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
el carlitos

When trying to predict the future (next GTA) we should take in account that it is is quite safe to say that the next GTA will run 60hz and 4k on next gen. This should be considered performance wise when speaking about Map size, details and graphics. The frame rate and resolution requires a lot of processing power that will limit the volume of the next game.

Still using 30Hz and Full HD with higher performance of the next gen would give the possibility of details at total new level. This won´t be the case as the frame rate and resolution increases, the jump could be smaller than we hope. It will depend on the power of next gen. 

 

Honestly I don´t know the performance power of current gaming PCs and I don´t know what is possible nowadays. I guess the next generation of consoles will be close to a good gaming PC of today.

Edited by el carlitos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
18 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

I mean they're mentioned in-game, btw. I forget the reference in IV, but the Carraways are prominently mentioned in TLAD and BOGT in dialogue, and it's clear that they're supposed to be a parody of the Hamptons in Long Island. Long Island itself is referenced through East Island City (based on Long Island City), and I could have sworn that "East Island" was mentioned somewhere in the game, as well. And Upstate is referred to numerous times by NPCs and in the in-game media.

I was under the impression that EIC was a part of Dukes, https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/East_Island_City I plan on playing through GTA 4 again, but I really want to wait until the next GTA is announced before replaying them, story wise. 

 

18 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

do you think Liberty City was going to be imported into GTA Online at some point? This image of Middle Park was posted by a former Rockstar employee on their portfolio before they removed it, and it's clearly been upgraded with V's water and trees, the ground textures are different, and the rocks have been remodeled.

I remember that. And Yeah, I think they may have planned to put it into GTA Online. We know they have a lot of projects, but it's all about timing and bandwidth. The Leslie Benzies situation, GTA V on Next gen and PC, heists, then RDR2 may have killed it. Plus it's not like Online needed it.  However, It may have just been a case of them touching it up for GTA V related things, as Liberty City is used in some TV ads, and the in game movies at the cinema. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just for that.

 

3 hours ago, el carlitos said:

When trying to predict the future (next GTA) we should take in account that it is is quite safe to say that the next GTA will run 60hz and 4k on next gen. This should be considered performance wise when speaking about Map size, details and graphics. The frame rate and resolution requires a lot of processing power that will limit the volume of the next game.

Still using 30Hz and Full HD with higher performance of the next gen would give the possibility of details at total new level. This won´t be the case as the frame rate and resolution increases, the jump could be smaller than we hope. It will depend on the power of next gen. 

It's a good point yeah. RDR2 on Xbox One X is at native 4K, and it looks incredible! Phil Spencer said last year he still thinks they can do more with frame rates. I'm really hoping next gen can mark 60fps as the standard. But all too often developers would rather use that power to make their games look better, than play at 60. Besides, (and I'm no expert) fps is more of a CPU limitation. Sure, it's relevant, but I wouldn't think it has too much of an impact. I do expect rockstar to focus on their world, size and scope and detail over FPS. The only guaranteed thing is that GTA VI will be running in 4K. (If you have a 4K TV)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike
5 hours ago, Len Lfc said:

I was under the impression that EIC was a part of Dukes, https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/East_Island_City I plan on playing through GTA 4 again, but I really want to wait until the next GTA is announced before replaying them, story wise. 

It is a part of Dukes, just like how the real life Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens. It's the naming that pretty much gives away the fact that East Island is a place, just like Long Island. What wasn't made clear with IV's map was that Alderney is NOT part of LC, it's a separate state and the "neighborhoods" are actually their own towns.

 

Regarding the LC image with V's engine, while it's possible that it was touched up just for V's in-game media, I don't think it was touched up to the extent that the screenshot shows. I remember when they showed a shot of Middle Park in Meltdown and it appeared relatively the same as in IV, just with a slightly more crisp look, heavily saturated, and the trees were all green (which could have been color correction or another quick change). Didn't look as detailed as that screenshot by a long shot, and by the time it cuts to the film's characters walking around, "Middle Park" becomes GTA V's countryside, so there would have been no need to redo Middle Park that closely. This is why I think it was intended for the player to visit at some point, but clearly, it never came to fruition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
1 hour ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

It is a part of Dukes, just like how the real life Long Island City is a neighborhood in Queens. It's the naming that pretty much gives away the fact that East Island is a place, just like Long Island. What wasn't made clear with IV's map was that Alderney is NOT part of LC, it's a separate state and the "neighborhoods" are actually their own towns.

Right, I get you now. I actually emailed Rockstar, back in 2013, regarding Alderney. They actually replied and I posted their response in a thread here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
burger_mike
On 3/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, Jabalous said:

One thing can be predicted about the setting is that it'll likely be huge again, at least not smaller than V's. Online is now a priority in the series and it'd not efficiently work if the map isn't big and diverse enough. A single-city map, like Liberty City, is likely not happening. With planes and fast vehicles, more playable area is required to fuel the player's enjoyment, creating many hot spots around the map. Countryside and rural towns are apparently now integral to the Grand Theft Auto experience. I personally expect VI's map to be larger than V's by 1.5× at least. 

I just hope they don’t pull another GTAV and squash it onto this gen while removing everything in the process. I mean the PS4 isn’t really weak and WAAY more powerful than the PS3 (500mb vs 8gb ram) and RDR2 is still amazing but then again, Rockstar is very ambitious, had to remove content for RDR2 as well. It’s also the only 100GB game I know that isn’t full of wasted space like CoD. 

Edited by Equatecurl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
6 hours ago, Equatecurl said:

had to remove content for RDR2 as well

Really? What did they have to remove? I'm almost certain it'll be next gen exclusive. By the time it releases, their install base will be big enough. Plus Online will be a selling factor for 5+ years lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eternal Moonshine

It's sad to think that we might have to wait another couple of years for GTA VI but I'd rather wait than see GTA become another CoD or Battlefield

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
On 3/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, Eternal Moonshine said:

It's sad to think that we might have to wait another couple of years for GTA VI but I'd rather wait than see GTA become another CoD or Battlefield

I don't think it's that sad. As you get older, you realize that the longer you wait, it makes the excitement for a new release in that series better. Waiting 5 years or more brings a greater excitement when it is finally announced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Secura

While I do think we're some way off the next Rockstar title, there's a very important element at play that extended the life cycle of GTA V, that being Benzies' departure and of course GTA Online's initial success, but Red Dead Redemption 2 has proven that the Online element of the games has lost a lot of interest, people still love Rockstar's titles but the way they make Online these days is appealing to very, very few in direct comparison and as a result of the dwindling interest in the Online mode it is quite likely they will try and release their next project somewhat soon after the next generation machines launch, circa 2022 would be a good estimate.

Edited by Finite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
10 hours ago, Finite said:

While I do think we're some way off the next Rockstar title, there's a very important element at play that extended the life cycle of GTA V, that being Benzies' departure and of course GTA Online's initial success, but Red Dead Redemption 2 has proven that the Online element of the games has lost a lot of interest, people still love Rockstar's titles but the way they make Online these days is appealing to very, very few in direct comparison and as a result of the dwindling interest in the Online mode it is quite likely they will try and release their next project somewhat soon after the next generation machines launch, circa 2022 would be a good estimate.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. Benzies situation has absolutely had an effect, but I think that would likely affect RDR2 more. Although still that effects every game, long term. If RDR2 was delayed, then so too the game after it, and after that, and so on... As for Online, well, GTA Online is still going strong. It's RD Online that isn't as popular. Which was a given, we could all see that one coming. Ultimately I don't think Onlines popularity has anything to do with it. Rockstar and Take Two know that in order to make the most money, they need to release a solid game, rather than a rushed one. That's one of the thing I still respect about Rockstar.

 

2022 isn't a bad shout though, definitely around that time frame. Although I'm still sticking with my initial estimates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Secura

Apologies, I meant only to infer that Benzies departure really only afflicted Red Dead Redemption 2. 

17 minutes ago, Len Lfc said:

As for Online, well, GTA Online is still going strong. It's RD Online that isn't as popular. Which was a given, we could all see that one coming. Ultimately I don't think Onlines popularity has anything to do with it. Rockstar and Take Two know that in order to make the most money, they need to release a solid game, rather than a rushed one. That's one of the thing I still respect about Rockstar.

 

2022 isn't a bad shout though, definitely around that time frame. Although I'm still sticking with my initial estimates.

While true, the likelihood is development as already begun and has been ongoing for a while now, Rockstar's record of producing content for new consoles is relatively consistent, they rarely wait a year or longer to announce the porting of an old title or the release of a new one on the new hardware and it is quite likely that we are already within the final 12 months of the current generation.

 

With that in mind I do not see them being able to stretch out the inbetween period via the usage of Online titles as they did with GTA Online,, I think we'll get our first look at the game sometime late next year, but with no solid release date, but there will almost certainly be a Rockstar title shown off within the next 20 months, whether it is GTA VI or another IP though is unknown.

Edited by Finite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Len Lfc
32 minutes ago, Finite said:

they rarely wait a year or longer to announce the porting of an old title or the release of a new one on the new hardware and it is quite likely that we are already within the final 12 months of the current generation.

That's not really set in stone though. It's a question of timing on Rockstars part. They will announce when they feel they are ready. It would be wrong to assume in the future that we'd get an announcement soon because new consoles have been revealed or released a year ago. The main contributing factor is install base. They could wait until more consoles have been sold, then announce GTA VI which would effectively be them saying"Get ready, buy a new console because we're coming!" Unless it were to be a cross gen game. Which I can't see happening. 

 

Keep in mind that their past few games have had long waits between announcement and release. a month short of 2 years for GTA V & RDR2, which was almost 2 years to the day. I still think next year might be a little soon for a reveal, but anything's possible. I'd imagine both Sony & Microsoft would be waging a war to get Rockstar on their side, and be involved in revealing it on their stage once more.

 

But yeah, PS5 and Xbox 'Scarlett' are absolutely coming next year. Just a question of when. Most likely November, but someone could pull a Nintendo and release earlier.

 

It's interesting to also consider that Rockstar sometimes like stealing the thunder. I don't think they'd announce GTA VI during new consoles announcement or release, they might be drowned out, and they like having the spotlight. But they could also try to join in and say "hey look at GTA VI, though" But I do think that is unlikely this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silly_nate

This is an amazing thread. Great input from all of you, especially @Len Lfc. That first post is killer. Such nostalgia reading about V pre announcement. 👌🏼👍🏼

 

I strongly believe that the next game from R*, whether it’s Bully II, GTA VI, or something else, will be announced in October. Not necessarily this year though, although anything is possible. I also believe it will be released two years after it’s announcement. 

 

I’m sort of 50/50 on the “Project Americas” leak. Pairing it with Houser’s statements about Trump and the political climate and Miami in the 80’s being iconic, I can definitely see it being true and taking place in the 80’s. I guess like we all said in 2012 & 2017 (or should I say 2010 and 2015, pre announcements) only time will tell. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.