3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

We Are Ninja

Reduced Player Visibility

We Are Ninja

"Firstly, we’re reducing the visibility of blips over long distances – your map position won’t display to other players unless you are nearby (within 150 meters) and if you are slightly further away you will only appear when firing your weapon.  Players in other towns or regions, for example, won’t be visible. This prevents players from being repeatedly targeted across the map at long distances."

It's not the blip-less map that the masochists were clamoring for, but it's going to have largely the same effect. I am very much on the fence about this. I kinda dug it when I knew where players were, and I had time to get my sh*t together and get gone if need be. Now, you aren't going to know it's go time until they're right on top of you... I mean, it's great that trolls and griefers can't make a beeline across the map for you. BUT, now that griefers no longer know where players are, they're going to congregate where they know that players will be: stores, popular hunting spots, and most  importantly, butcher's stands. I foresee the major cities becoming cesspools as players lie in wait. Especially if sniper range is greater than blip visibility distance. It's just a matter of time before these gaping assholes determine the exact radius of the butcher's shops that they need to stay outside of in order to not be seen. One guy perched up on a rooftop or hillside with his scope resting on the butcher's stand, with 3 or 4 pig f*ckers just outta visibility range waiting to converge to kill you and/or take your haul. They'll prolly cycle between roles to keep their blips from getting too red too fast. I'm going to coming into every butcher's shop hot, and hella outta control in an effort to decrease my chances of getting my head blown off before a sale...

I applaud R* for actually addressing issues, but while they're making it harder for griefers to grief all willy-nilly, they're going to concentrate them where players interested in hunting and making money and doing constructive things in-game are gonna be. I foresee it getting increasingly difficult to make money. I'm genuinely glad that I got most of my leveling and deck-building out of the way before these changes go into effect. :/

4eyedcoupe

I agree.  Players should show on the menu map.  I don;t see this as an improvement or as something to counter griefers.   I always try to be aware of my surroundings.  I wonder if the companion app will show players on the map...would makes sense for Rockstar to do this if they want people to download the app.  Sadly, I personally would go get a cheap tablet just for the app if that is the case.  

rusbeckia

As long as we don‘t know any specifics, this sounds like paranoia.... and should be moved to bitch&moan imo.

Ghoffman9
38 minutes ago, We Are Ninja said:

Now, you aren't going to know it's go time until they're right on top of you... I mean, it's great that trolls and griefers can't make a beeline across the map for you. BUT, now that griefers no longer know where players are, they're going to congregate where they know that players will be: stores, popular hunting spots, and most  importantly, butcher's stands. I foresee the major cities becoming cesspools as players lie in wait. 

Which is why I been calling to make towns safe zones in of themselves where players cannot attack each other. Players can still attack NPCs but cannot attack each other. Towns are the only place players can go for bartering and other needs, there are few of them and large distances between them. Many of them might not even have the NPC vendors you need. For example there only being three towns that have doctors on the whole map. To counter abuse simply set it to where a minute has to pass before you can attack players once you have left a town's safe zone.

Simply adding a small safe zone in the buildings of some of the shops isn't enough, as you are very likely gonna get popped before even reaching the door.

lennymuhboi

Moral of the story is assholes be assholes no matter what.

DarksunDaFirst
3 hours ago, We Are Ninja said:

"Firstly, we’re reducing the visibility of blips over long distances – your map position won’t display to other players unless you are nearby (within 150 meters) and if you are slightly further away you will only appear when firing your weapon.  Players in other towns or regions, for example, won’t be visible. This prevents players from being repeatedly targeted across the map at long distances."

It's not the blip-less map that the masochists were clamoring for, but it's going to have largely the same effect. I am very much on the fence about this. I kinda dug it when I knew where players were, and I had time to get my sh*t together and get gone if need be. Now, you aren't going to know it's go time until they're right on top of you... I mean, it's great that trolls and griefers can't make a beeline across the map for you. BUT, now that griefers no longer know where players are, they're going to congregate where they know that players will be: stores, popular hunting spots, and most  importantly, butcher's stands. I foresee the major cities becoming cesspools as players lie in wait. Especially if sniper range is greater than blip visibility distance. It's just a matter of time before these gaping assholes determine the exact radius of the butcher's shops that they need to stay outside of in order to not be seen.

A dedicated sniper would have hijacked a boat in St. Denis and driven it to Blackwater with their scope fixated on the Butcher, pretty much out of visual range...but if a player enters the reticle...boom.

Edited by DarksunDaFirst

Ektope
2 minutes ago, DarksunDaFirst said:

A dedicated sniper would have hijacked a boat in St. Denis and driven it to Blackwater with their scope fixated on the Butcher, pretty much out of visual range...but if a player enters the reticle...boom.

Now I want to do this.

DarksunDaFirst
1 minute ago, Ektope said:

Now I want to do this.

Get a snack.  It takes while.  Those boats are slower than the Benz Motorwagen.

Ektope
2 minutes ago, DarksunDaFirst said:

Get a snack.  It takes while.  Those boats are slower than the Benz Motorwagen.

It was a joke. But I'm amazed, people are thinking about this already.

ThaBirdCoot

Had a little giggle at "the 3 or 4 pig f*ckers" part 😄

But I hear ya, I can see this becoming a trend. But let's not paint the devil on the wall just yet. 

TheSadisticOwl

I'm excited for this change still. It's not like every town on the map will immediatelly be flocked with griefers the moment the update hits. You can easily scope out any mass number of people surrounding a butcher stand or a store with a sniper rifle or binoculars, then you can just make your way to the next town where there'll be likely next people.

The only massively populated towns I've seen are Blackwater, Saint Denis and Rhodes because a lot of people tend to spawn there after quitting Showdown. Valentine, despite what a lot of people say, has never seen that populated in the sessions I end up in, neither Strawberry.

Not being able to see blips and having limited voice chat range (proximity chat) are how I envisioned RDO from day one. Being more akin to survival games such as Rust and DayZ just fit much better for a game set in massive, wild landscape in an era far away from modern technology that aims to be atmospheric and enjoyable just like the singleplayer. I just hope they keep going down this path and not transform RDO into what GTAO has become.

trudypoo2
4 hours ago, Ektope said:

Now I want to do this.

It works pretty well now-even when they CAN see you. 😉 

IamCourtney

Enh, I don't see the traditional chaos-craving griefer going to the time and trouble of camping a butcher for who knows how long at a time just hoping somebody comes along eventually. I'm sure it'll happen from time to time but you should be fine if you come in fast with Never without One and Slow & Steady or Slippery Bastard equipped and active.

We're gonna see far, far more abuse of the new Parley system, I guarantee it. 

Foxwolfe

I don't really get the complaints about towns becoming war zones, in my experience they already are lol.

Happy Hunter

It's not perfect, and you can find a problem with anything - but I think it's a big step up.

People always miss out the part of the newswire where it says that killing people makes you visible from further away. Any butcher camper is quickly going to become visible from further away than he can see other players.

Plus people can just scope out their butcher first, pick more unusual places, etc.

DonnieVega

I'm just hoping we'll still spawn in large groups in the same area, so the eternal deathmatch peeps keep themselves busy while I sneak away off the radar. 

Other than them, I hardly ever run into pvp situations anyway. And griefers want action, they'll get bored immediately when nobody shows up at the butcher stand.

rusbeckia
9 hours ago, TheSadisticOwl said:

I'm excited for this change still. It's not like every town on the map will immediatelly be flocked with griefers the moment the update hits. You can easily scope out any mass number of people surrounding a butcher stand or a store with a sniper rifle or binoculars, then you can just make your way to the next town where there'll be likely next people.

The only massively populated towns I've seen are Blackwater, Saint Denis and Rhodes because a lot of people tend to spawn there after quitting Showdown. Valentine, despite what a lot of people say, has never seen that populated in the sessions I end up in, neither Strawberry.

Not being able to see blips and having limited voice chat range (proximity chat) are how I envisioned RDO from day one. Being more akin to survival games such as Rust and DayZ just fit much better for a game set in massive, wild landscape in an era far away from modern technology that aims to be atmospheric and enjoyable just like the singleplayer. I just hope they keep going down this path and not transform RDO into what GTAO has become.

Exactly my opinion! If you want to play like a gta-psycho-killer, deal with the consequences that everybody on the map can see you - only you. 

Edit: would also be nice if they added the slight vibration if you‘re near another player, like we know from make it count!

Edited by rusbeckia

Dr.Rosenthal

If someone claiming to be a griefer is camping a random butcher spot in order to get one kill (because after that, his blip will become visible), not knowing when another player might show up at that particular butcher, then the only person they’re griefing is themselves.

I don’t see it becoming too much of a problem, especially - as has been mentioned -, they’ll appear on the map when they start killing people so you won’t just unknowingly ride into XxxGrieferKingxxX with 50 fresh kills to his name.

I’m also more concerned about the parley. People already attack me for no reason and when I destroy them back they parley straight away. We all know how it is on GTAO too. If people have an easy way to cheat themselves out of trouble, in most cases they’ll use it.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

rusbeckia
2 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

If someone claiming to be a griefer is camping a random butcher spot in order to get one kill (because after that, his blip will become visible), not knowing when another player might show up at that particular butcher, then the only person they’re griefing is themselves.

I don’t see it becoming too much of a problem, especially - as has been mentioned -, they’ll appear on the map when they start killing people so you won’t just unknowingly ride into XxxGrieferKingxxX with 50 fresh kills to his name.

Finally someone who understands what the changes are aiming to do. 

Most forum members seem to be heavily griefing paranoid

We Are Ninja
27 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

Finally someone who understands what the changes are aiming to do. 

Most forum members seem to be heavily griefing paranoid

I fully understand what the changes are aiming to do. The thing is, I also understand the depths that assholes will go to asshole. From the early days of reversing Zentornos and Jesters, to passive mode abuse, to teleporting to their apartments by exploiting heist invites. Those same griefing posses that are accustomed to roaming the map looking for defenseless players will most likely focus on spots where they know defenseless players will come fairly regularly. That's not paranoia, that's R* sandbox logic 101.

Edited by We Are Ninja

DarksunDaFirst
13 hours ago, TheSadisticOwl said:

Strawberry is typically my end destination after a long hunting trip, because wherever I start at...whether it be in the swamps outside St. Denis or the deserts west of Tumbleweed...Strawberry is kind of that furthest out and also takes you through some of the best large and big game hunting grounds in the game no matter where you start.

I'll do Blackwater if I can quickly run up the coast and get to the butcher before anyone notices, but it is a quick scout and you need to stop your horse just right so you can get all the pelts and carcasses off.  Doing that quickly can be a bit tricky.

rusbeckia
1 hour ago, We Are Ninja said:

I fully understand what the changes are aiming to do. The thing is, I also understand the depths that assholes will go to asshole. From the early days of reversing Zentornos and Jesters, to passive mode abuse, to teleporting to their apartments by exploiting heist invites. Those same griefing posses that are accustomed to roaming the map looking for defenseless players will most likely focus on spots where they know defenseless players will come fairly regularly. That's not paranoia, that's R* sandbox logic 101.

You‘re right and I understand your concern, but as someone mentioned elsewhere. Assholes will be assholes. The only way to hinder them in what they‘re doing is seperate them by pvp/pve lobbies, which is not good imo, cause then you only can chose between friendly and total chaos sessions. Players that like the risk of pvp situations, but are friendly generally won‘t have a place to go.

Ghoffman9
13 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Enh, I don't see the traditional chaos-craving griefer going to the time and trouble of camping a butcher for who knows how long at a time just hoping somebody comes along eventually. I'm sure it'll happen from time to time but you should be fine if you come in fast with Never without One and Slow & Steady or Slippery Bastard equipped and active.

We're gonna see far, far more abuse of the new Parley system, I guarantee it. 

I don't see how, from what I heard they are just making it easy to trigger. When turned on, that means players cannot interact with each other for a whole of ten minutes. Its similar in Gta Online's passive in that it can be turned on when a player wants, but they can no longer turn it off when they want to. The game is in complete control of that, and won't shut off Parley until ten minutes pass. I seriously doubt most of those in this community who abuse passive in Gta Online would have the patience to wait that long. Kinda hard to abuse systems such as Passive or Parley if you no longer have access to the off switch.

2 hours ago, We Are Ninja said:

I think a lot of that is motivated from the accursed K/D stat. Lots of things players do in Gta Online is motivated by that stat. When I was on a few days ago all I heard was two K/D warriors arguing with one another. One saying they were better than the other cause their K/D stat was higher. What they didn't say but I noticed was that few minutes before both of them were picking on two low ranks prior to running into one another. Clearly farming K/D. The thing is Rockstar learned just how shallow many in this community is and completely done away with K/D in red dead online, that is one huge motivator in being an asshole completely removed.

In Red Dead Online I ran into the occasional asshole, but things never gone to the point that they often do in Gta Online. The worst I ever had in RDO was in the early days when two players killed me and took a wagon whilst I was fishing up in the icy mountains of Ambarino. I took it as a "challenge accepted" kind of situation, and suffice to say I wasn't the one turning Parley on that day.

Edited by Ghoffman9

IamCourtney
54 minutes ago, Ghoffman9 said:

I don't see how, from what I heard they are just making it easy to trigger. When turned on, that means players cannot interact with each other for a whole of ten minutes. Its similar in Gta Online's passive in that it can be turned on when a player wants, but they can no longer turn it off when they want to. The game is in complete control of that, and won't shut off Parley until ten minutes pass. I seriously doubt most of those in this community who abuse passive in Gta Online would have the patience to wait that long. Kinda hard to abuse systems such as Passive or Parley if you no longer have access to the off switch.

True, it can't be abused in precisely the same way as GTAO passive mode, but there are new ways to abuse it in RDO. I've already encountered a few. For example, I was just starting to loot a finished Hideout when a posse of two showed up and started trying to loot some bodies. I fought them off but after three kills each, they just hit Parley and helped themselves. Best I could do was quickly loot as many bodies as possible before they got to them. Or there've been similar situations where one guy who's Parley'd with me tries to stand in front of me, scare my horse, just be a general nuisance while I try to hunt or fight his friend or what not. From the sound of things, the coming changes are just gonna make this sort of thing a little quicker to get to.

And on the flip side, starting a Stranger mission cancels Parley so if somebody really wants to f*ck with someone else they just need to find the nearest mission giver and ignore the objective.

Passive, Parley, whatever you wanna call it or however you try to make it work is a straight up bad idea that needs to be acknowledged for the failed experiment it is and discarded. PvE sessions and PvP sessions are the answer. Everybody gets what they want.

jamsroob
12 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

[..]

People always miss out the part of the newswire where it says that killing people makes you visible from further away.

[..]

And then there's also the new Law and Order part of the newswire. If it's similar to SP, any killing in a town will spawn in lawmen or bounty hunters, resulting in more killing and a big red dot...

rusbeckia
14 hours ago, Ghoffman9 said:

I think a lot of that is motivated from the accursed K/D stat. Lots of things players do in Gta Online is motivated by that stat. When I was on a few days ago all I heard was two K/D warriors arguing with one another. One saying they were better than the other cause their K/D stat was higher. What they didn't say but I noticed was that few minutes before both of them were picking on two low ranks prior to running into one another. Clearly farming K/D. The thing is Rockstar learned just how shallow many in this community is and completely done away with K/D in red dead online, that is one huge motivator in being an asshole completely removed.

true. yesterday two low-life... uhhhm low-level I mean, killed me out of nothing and tried to grief me. They managed to kill me 3 times all in all because it was late and half a sleep. After the 3rd death I kind of got more concentrated and started to kill them back. one of them just fled and the other one got killed 5 -6 times or so.  after that I got sick of him approaching me pretty quick and actually would have let him be, if he didn't try to shoot John Brown. That's when I got emotional about it looool. I loaded express explosives and dynamite arrow and eradicated him another 3-4 times right after he spawned. All of a sudden he just left the session, because he felt strong first and then noticed that he won't come even with me kill-wise. I mean, he didn't even try to get away with it, they just change to another server, where they'll most likely do the same. This is just pure toxic gameplay.. starting a fight you can't win and then just leave the session and not trying to get away with it. - Like flee out of town or sth. But I guess these kind are the same players that never had a varmint rifle in their hands to actually hunt. 

But tbf I have to say that this was only the second or third encounter like this, since I started playing. (day 3 I think)

That being said, PLEASE R* don't let us lose our bounty when changing sessions. This would be THE griefing motor - just kill as long as you want, and when sh*t gets too hot change session. If it wasn't for the server errors, I'd suggest making it not possible to spawn in the same area twice after each other. Like if you're in Lemoyne and just wanna flee to a new server because of varmint-noob-griefer-reasons, only let them choose New Hanover, Ambarino, or Great plains.

Edited by rusbeckia

Dr.Rosenthal

@rusbeckia I hear ya. I too have a little story here:

Last night just when I was going to get off I went to the butcher in St Denis for one last sale. There was a posse of four there but I was quick. When I backed out, I saw a player just across the butcher’s table, who - of course - started aiming at me. So I accessed the butcher menu again as quick as I could. Then waited 30 secs - 1 min, and backed out ready to pull Slippery Bastard. I did and blasted him away as I saw him trying to hide behind a couple crates. Idiot.

After that he kept coming at me, but because I’d killed him now his whole posse got involved. So my friend came down to aid me. Thing is, his dad plays with us (which I find really cool), but he’s NOT a PvP player so he was just fishing by himself up by the Kamassa river. We’re all in the same posse. Long story short, me and my friend SHREDDED the four of them completely. And then what happens? In the turmoil we lose one of them, the guy that killed me. And suddenly we hear on mic, my mates dad just got killed while he was stood fishing. By who? The same guy who started it all with me, of course.

Needless to say these losers had no qualms about killing my horse either. I usually don’t do that to other people but because they did, I did too. You know they’re the lowest of the lowest scum when they a) start sh*t b) kill your horse, and c) attack someone who’s just fishing by himself.

Anyway. We continued to destroy them for maybe 10 mins and then they left. My last kill was on the guy who started it all (he was last to leave) by lobbing dynamite on his head when he was hiding in a backyard. Loser.

People like this must be punished like this, and the game should facilitate that.. not encourage these losers. I don’t know what parley or bounties will become but I will always disagree with those who claim that ”that’s what this game is about yooo”. If you’re like the idiot above, you’re a dick. Plain and simple.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

rusbeckia
48 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@rusbeckia I hear ya. I too have a little story here:

Last night just when I was going to get off I went to the butcher in St Denis for one last sale. There was a posse of four there but I was quick. When I backed out, I saw a player just across the butcher’s table, who - of course - started aiming at me. So I accessed the butcher menu again as quick as I could. Then waited 30 secs - 1 min, and backed out ready to pull Slippery Bastard. I did and blasted him away as I saw him trying to hide behind a couple crates. Idiot.

After that he kept coming at me, but because I’d killed him now his whole posse got involved. So my friend came down to aid me. Thing is, his dad plays with us (which I find really cool), but he’s NOT a PvP player so he was just fishing by himself up by the Kamassa river. We’re all in the same posse. Long story short, me and my friend SHREDDED the four of them completely. And then what happens? In the turmoil we lose one of them, the guy that killed me. And suddenly we hear on mic, my mates dad just got killed while he was stood fishing. By who? The same guy who started it all with me, of course.

Needless to say these losers had no qualms about killing my horse either. I usually don’t do that to other people but because they did, I did too. You know they’re the lowest of the lowest scum when they a) start sh*t b) kill your horse, and c) attack someone who’s just fishing by himself.

Anyway. We continued to destroy them for maybe 10 mins and then they left. My last kill was on the guy who started it all (he was last to leave) by lobbing dynamite on his head when he was hiding in a backyard. Loser.

People like this must be punished like this, and the game should facilitate that.. not encourage these losers. I don’t know what parley or bounties will become but I will always disagree with those who claim that ”that’s what this game is about yooo”. If you’re like the idiot above, you’re a dick. Plain and simple.

Your last to sentences pretty much describe the overall griefing problem. 

Concerning horse killings.... yea I don‘t shoot at horses either, it‘s like the biggest no-go in this game (unless they add dogs as companions :p).

however if I see someone shooting at players horses on purpose, I bomb them AND their horse away until they only got the scrawny nag left. I also pay the insurance costs with delight then. But most players will leave the session by then anyway, if they get killed with their horse two times, cause they can‘t equip their hats any second anymore. 

Side-note: I don‘t even use Never Without One that often anymore, since most players are noobs anyway and only equip it on tough enemies. 

The more I play, the more it seems like noob-protection lol

EDIT: I really hope that it will be possible to grief griefers back without being labeled as griefer yourself. Parley is not a big thing imo, cause players rarely use it now and it might be that usage of it won‘t increase just because you can parley after the first kill. 

EDIT2: horse nutrition seems to help a bit, when low-lifes try to kill your horse. Golden cores are.... well, golden!

This is just another thing why I don‘t understand all the hate about the reduced player visibility. 

See, that’s another reason why I can’t understand the all the hate about reduced player visibility. It should have been in game all along imo. 

If you‘re just a lonewolf fishing somewhere in an remote area, people will only find you by chance and can‘t go after you, because they‘re butthurt that they get killed - justified imo -by your posse members.

Edited by rusbeckia

We Are Ninja
2 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

...If you‘re just a lonewolf fishing somewhere in an remote area, people will only find you by chance and can‘t go after you, because they‘re butthurt that they get killed - justified imo -by your posse members.

That's my point in a nutshell. If you're lone wolfing it at a remote lake, you're probably fine. But everyone, and I mean literally everyone, that hunts winds up at 1 of, like, 5 butchers. Griefers won't find players by chance, they'll KNOW that everyone will come by there at one point or another. IamCourtney had the best solution I've seen with activating Slippery Bastard before heading into town. It won't save you from the sniper perched on the rooftop/hillside, but it'll throw off the pack of trolls waiting to converge when you get near a butcher's stand.

-fsociety-

Hunting spots, butchers and glitch areas will be my goto to murder people now, something I don't do. It will make things worse for people who can't handle getting killed in a open world pvp game.