2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

We Are Ninja

A Time To Kill...

Do you get a prompt to finish off the animal after you've wounded it?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get a prompt to finish off the animal after you've wounded it?

• Yes, I always get the prompt to finish off the animal I wounded.
    • No, I never get the prompt to finish off the animal I wounded.
    • I used to get the option to finish off the animal, but I don't anymore.
    • I didn't used to get the option to finish off the animal, but I have been recently.
    • It's intermittent; sometimes I get the option, sometimes I don't.
    • Other

We Are Ninja

I was playing with friends the other day and flubbed a kill while hunting. The buck bounded a few yards, then fell over, mortally wounded. I complained that I hated listening to it's death knell while waiting for it to die, and that I hated the fact that it was either that, or shoot the animal again and ruin the pelt. One of my friends (out of 4) stated that he always got a prompt ( I think it was the square button) to finish off animals that he had wounded with a melee kill to avoid damaging the pelt. I didn't believe him because I had never seen it. None of the other people were playing with did either. He actually screenshotted it and, sure enough, he actually had a prompt to kill a deer that he had wounded.

I have NEVER gotten this prompt. I've stood different distances from my kill, equipped various weapons (including my knife), and approached it barehanded, and I've never, ever gotten a prompt to put my kill out of it's misery. Does anyone get/not get this prompt?

Edited by We Are Ninja

ALifeOfMisery

I never get the option, if it is a bug and some players do have the mercy kill prompt, hopefully it will be fixed in the upcoming update on the 26th.

IamCourtney

Never had the prompt at any point afaik, though I stopped even approaching dying animals once I realized I couldn't end their misery as in singleplayer because their death cries get my dogs all agitated and barking irl. Not especially pleasant for myself or my wife to listen to either... our cat doesn't seem to care though. Maybe it started working sometime and I just don't know?

So kudos to the sound design department for nailing it, boodos to the Online department for upsetting most of our household :P

Jason

Nope, never had it.

Ektope

"It's intermittent; sometimes I get the option, sometimes I don't."

Only once, when OL was first released.

wehweh01

Anyone notice you get this prompt when you down another player and they just lay there rather than choose to die? >:)

Chrismads

Never got the option to kill the suffering animal online. I always get it in SP.

Ryan5252

Used to get it a lot but recently not so much which I had thought was weird. 

I take down bigger prey with a poison arrow sometimes and that sets them off on a doomed sprint before lying down and accepting their fate. It used to let me knife them in the throat to put them out of their misery but more often than not now I just have to stand and watch. 

PS. My sissy horse does not like watching them die and will wait until they've breathed their last before approaching. Wimp. 

Ghoffman9

I never gotten the prompt, I had to let it sit there and slowly bleed out to preserve the quality, otherwise it would have went straight to a one star.

ThaBirdCoot
2 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

Anyone notice you get this prompt when you down another player and they just lay there rather than choose to die? >:)

Yeah, I had something like this happen earlier for the first time, downed a dude who shot my horse and when he was bleeding out I approached him, I had a revive or execute choice. Since he shot my horse there was only one option left...

On topic, I've never seen in while hunting.

Edited by ThaBirdCoot

4eyedcoupe

The opening couple days of online I would get the prompt, but not since then.  

GenericGTAO

You can kick the down animal and it will die, but you lose the pelt rating.  Sometimes a downed animal will remain perfect or good.  I swear I have seen the option online and my character use a knife to clean kill.  But I have not seen it in quite a while.  I think you can aim at the animal to determine its pelt grade to see if waiting is worth it.

Need drugs

Never seen this prompt.

SumSkittles

All I could think of when I saw this thread title was Samuel Jackson screaming that "yes they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell!"

Dr.Rosenthal

I’ve had the prompt, but it’s inconsistent so I’ve stopped checking for it.

Coleco

I've never seen this prompt.

I'd put that down to my tendency to mimic a hyperactive Maxim gun upon discovering a wandering Bison when a bit of planning and a single well-placed arrow would easily do the job, but I've wounded a few animals and had no option to avoid further damage.

So I just put another round in it's head and continue to peddle my "unique" brand of low-quality swiss-cheese pelts for folks who like to to stay warm, but also well ventilated

ShayD

I didn't even know this was a thing. Ive never gotten it but I'll start testing it out to see if it does actually work.

ghostsoap01

I've been getting it pretty consistently.

4eyedcoupe

Sort of off topic, but somewhat related in the sense it's a message some see and some don't....People always told me they get a message during stranger missions telling them they are in the delivery area and nobody can hurt them but I had never seen that message.  I play on a PS4 Pro.  This weekend I fired up my PS4 Slim and started a new account and saw that message during a stranger mission..Weird.  So I'll have to sign each account in to the opposite PS4 and see what happens(i'm sure it is an account thing)

Ghoffman9

This is a bug that hurts players instead of benefiting them so don't count on it getting fixed any time soon. Some bugs in Gta Online have been around since launch day that were never fixed. They only go after bugs the players can use to their advantage to get ahead, especially if that entails money. They will even undo legitimate features they had planned like putting vehicles in the cargo hold of the Bombushka. Rockstar noticed players were putting product delivery vehicles in its hold so they removed a feature that was one of the Bombushka's main selling points to keep people from doing it. Its all about the bottom line, anything that gets in the way of that gets patched and anything that doesn't gets ignored.

TheShift

Never had the prompt online

Only single player 

Foxwolfe

Never got the prompt in single player or online (granted in story mode I might have just missed it), glad it's in though as I've stood there plenty of times wishing there was an option for that, now if it just worked for everyone all the time.

areyouchappin

I've looked for the prompt since Day 1 and I have never seen a "Mercy kill" prompt in Online, only during Single Player.

I had no idea other people could do this lol, just another bug to add to the list I guess.

Edited by areyouchappin

GTP_Monkey
19 hours ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

Sort of off topic, but somewhat related in the sense it's a message some see and some don't....People always told me they get a message during stranger missions telling them they are in the delivery area and nobody can hurt them but I had never seen that message.  I play on a PS4 Pro.  This weekend I fired up my PS4 Slim and started a new account and saw that message during a stranger mission..Weird.  So I'll have to sign each account in to the opposite PS4 and see what happens(i'm sure it is an account thing)

PS4 Pro here i get the message top left hand corner 

Dont think its anything to do with PS4 im sure its one of the many little bugs 

Edited by GTP_Monkey

4eyedcoupe
31 minutes ago, GTP_Monkey said:

PS4 Pro here i get the message top left hand corner 

Dont think its anything to do with PS4 im sure its one of the many little bugs 

I'm thinking if anything it maybe is account related?