3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

GTAFanLuca

GTA VCS on PSP emulator

GTAFanLuca

I've recently got a hold of GTA VCS on a PSP emulator. The game seems to be running perfectly, but my problem is that I really can't figure out how to configure the controls so that they are easy to use. I've never touched a PSP console, so things in the Controls menu like D-pad and Analog Stick are completely confusing me. Perhaps someone could show me a picture with the console and all the buttons, so I can associate it with the Controls menu of the game. Also, no matter how I configure X, it seems that when I want to accelerate, I can very hardly move the car, it seems like the rear wheels are always locked in place. I have no idea why this happens. Any help would be appreciated.

HotlineVice19603

Pretty sure you can easily find the appearance of an original PSP on Google, but here's a link anyways.

Most games on the PSP use the D-Pad for menu movement and such. 

As for the acceleration problem, make sure that you don't have any conflicting controls binded in PPSSPP settings like X (acceleration) and Square (brakes) being bound to a single controller button.

Finally, I suggest you to use this fix by darkdraggy to enable the right analog stick and give yourself more comfort. 

GTAFanLuca

Thanks for the help. I've mostly got over the controls issue, but I will return to your advice if I shall have problems in the future. Cheers.

GTAFanLuca
On 2/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, HotlineVice19603 said:

Pretty sure you can easily find the appearance of an original PSP on Google, but here's a link anyways.

Most games on the PSP use the D-Pad for menu movement and such. 

As for the acceleration problem, make sure that you don't have any conflicting controls binded in PPSSPP settings like X (acceleration) and Square (brakes) being bound to a single controller button.

Finally, I suggest you to use this fix by darkdraggy to enable the right analog stick and give yourself more comfort. 

Speaking of which, I've just started to have a relatively annoying problem. Drive-by quests are a pain. Wheneiver I press both X and O, the game just closes itself. Is this a PSP-specific thing, or something related to bad configuration of controls?

perennial

Do you by any chance happen to press Ctrl+W? In the PPSSPP emulator it is a shortcut to "Emulation->Stop", I remember having to reconfigure my keyboard controls because of that.

HotlineVice19603
8 hours ago, GTAFanLuca said:

Speaking of which, I've just started to have a relatively annoying problem. Drive-by quests are a pain. Wheneiver I press both X and O, the game just closes itself. Is this a PSP-specific thing, or something related to bad configuration of controls?

I've never experienced this when playing on an original PSP, so I assume it's an issue of bad configuration.

Wolver_321
14 hours ago, GTAFanLuca said:

I've never experienced that issue while using PPSSPP, probably the "X+O" combo is set as a shortcut for closing the emulator. On the original PSP the only way you could exit from a game was by pressing the PS button, it'd have been ilarious that the X+O combo (which is used in many many games) closed the application.

IMO PCSX2 offers a better overall experience, stable framerate and the possibility of using every single controller's button with no worries. PPSSPP (in theory) should run both GTA LCS and VCS at 60 FPS but I remember to have had a ton of dips and stuttering that made both games unplayable. Plus, when you accidentally press triggers/bumpers, you activate PPSSPP menù which is very annoying if you're doing a mission... Or is it changed a bit during the last years? I gave PPSSPP a try 2-3 years ago, actually I just discovered thanks to @HotlineVice19603 that it's possible to activate the right stick too! And what about triggers/bumpers? Can they be both activated?

HotlineVice19603

Not sure about bumper buttons, but I assume that if the right stick can be enabled through mods, then the bumper buttons should be possible to enable as well. 

PPSSPP has made a lot of progress through the years and I can certainly say that if you have no trouble running VCS / LCS on PCSX2, then you'll have even less trouble running VCS / LCS on PPSSPP.

Wolver_321
1 hour ago, HotlineVice19603 said:

Not sure about bumper buttons, but I assume that if the right stick can be enabled through mods, then the bumper buttons should be possible to enable as well. 

PPSSPP has made a lot of progress through the years and I can certainly say that if you have no trouble running VCS / LCS on PCSX2, then you'll have even less trouble running VCS / LCS on PPSSPP.

Interesting... I tried PPSSPP when I had an i5 4440 and a GTX 970, now that I have an i5 8600K and a RTX 2060 I could obtain less drops. I never played properly VCS, I might give PPSSPP a try again! Now I'm curious to see if there's some mods that enable the bumpers.

HotlineVice19603
17 minutes ago, Wolver_321 said:

Interesting... I tried PPSSPP when I had an i5 4440 and a GTX 970, now that I have an i5 8600K and a RTX 2060 I could obtain less drops. I never played properly VCS, I might give PPSSPP a try again! Now I'm curious to see if there's some mods that enable the bumpers.

As a person with a fairly low-spec PC, I can run VCS / LCS without any problems. Like I said before, I think you'd do just fine.

Wolver_321
4 minutes ago, HotlineVice19603 said:

As a person with a fairly low-spec PC, I can run VCS / LCS without any problems. Like I said before, I think you'd do just fine.

At what resolution/FPS do you run it? I'd like to run it at 1440p and at least at 60 FPS.

HotlineVice19603

1680x1050, depending on whether you ask the emulator or FRAPS, I run it at either capped 30fps or constant 60fps.

GTAFanLuca

Yeah, that seems a bit irrelevant, considering that I am now unable to pass "The Exchange". No matter how quick I am, the bloody Time is always completely depleted when I have one sniper left to kill, so I always fail.

perennial
2 hours ago, GTAFanLuca said:

Yeah, that seems a bit irrelevant, considering that I am now unable to pass "The Exchange". No matter how quick I am, the bloody Time is always completely depleted when I have one sniper left to kill, so I always fail.

I used the rocket launcher to pass that mission. 😛

GTAFanLuca
1 hour ago, perennial said:

I used the rocket launcher to pass that mission. 😛

How did you? And by the way, yes, I press both W and RCTRL. 

perennial
4 minutes ago, GTAFanLuca said:

How did you?

I killed the guys using a rocket launcher rather than the sniper. The explosion splash damage means your aim doesn't need to be perfect.

4 minutes ago, GTAFanLuca said:

And by the way, yes, I press both W and RCTRL.

That is the issue then. I use WASD for driving but reassigned the attack button to avoid the CTRL+W combination.

GTAFanLuca
11 hours ago, perennial said:

I killed the guys using a rocket launcher rather than the sniper. The explosion splash damage means your aim doesn't need to be perfect.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are 2 guys behind walls that no matter how I shoot the rockets, they never die. Taking out the sniper just for them wastes enough time.

GKZ
1 hour ago, GTAFanLuca said:

Yeah, but unfortunately there are 2 guys behind walls that no matter how I shoot the rockets, they never die. Taking out the sniper just for them wastes enough time.

I threw a grenade at one of them and it worked.

GTAFanLuca

Thanks for all the support. I finally succeeded. If I have further problems with the game, I'll keep on replying here.

GTAFanLuca

Ever since I got extra health, whenever I re-load my save, like half of the health bar is gone, and I don't really understand why...