1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ALifeOfMisery

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA UPDATE (February 12, 2019)

ALifeOfMisery
9 minutes ago, Rokushakubo said:

The 2 highest rated PS4 games of all time are GTA 5 and RDR2. Very prolific indeed!

Having the two highest rated games on PS4 might make R* proficient, releasing two games in five years is hardly prolific though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, somewhat back on topic, does anyone with any knowledge regarding the scale of the map have any idea of what a 150m radius around a butcher might look like on the map?

I'm trying to get an idea of just how far away other players blips will appear in practice.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

BUT THE BENZ

also, ratings...who cares about that sh*t?!

been patient since the start...when am I gonna get "my" stubble, in 2020? when the "beta" is over?!

R* just doesn't know how to fix the stubble, fact!

Golgotha666

You folks bitching about private/invite only lobbies are in for a world of hurt. THEY ARE NEVER COMING. It goes against the business model of RDO/Rockstar/T2. It was the same in GTAO: you could join an invite/private lobby, but you couldnt do any of the CEO/MMC/Hanger stuff. That whould basically be Rockstar handing out money all day, every day. Same can be said for RDO. 

They want you in a public lobby, constantly getting killed & chewing through commodities & ammo, so you spend more money. Spending more money makes you more likely to drop REAL money on gold. The fact that this update on the Newswire doesnt mention any new games modes, just sh*t for freedom, proves my point. They want you in Freemode as mush as possible and for as long as possible. It's where their bread and butter is. 

Edited by Golgotha666
Grammatical errors

BUT THE BENZ
5 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Having the two highest rated games on PS4 might make R* proficient, releasing two games in five years is hardly prolific though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, somewhat back on topic, does anyone with any knowledge regarding the scale of the map have any idea of what a 150m radius around a butcher might look like on the map?

no knowledge of scale at all, but I'd say in blackwater from the BUTCHER to the POST OFFICE is your 150m radius

Dr.Rosenthal
58 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

1) it stops/distracts them from killing any other person in the lobby.

2) if it happened everytime they killed someone they'd soon stop doing it.

Am I missing something?

55 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Yes - simple logic...

1) That's not why you do it... you do it for revenge and because you are butthurt

2) Do you have any facts that support this assumption? 

@Smokewood It’s not being butthurt, lol, and the example of killing others repeatedly mostly got to do with those players who keep trying to come back or who go around lobbies just shooting people. Yes, I enjoy making them rage-quit if I can. I don’t see what’s wrong with that but it really is a discussion for another topic, I feel, and honestly I think we’ve already had it before in the GTAO section. 😄

About (2), nah, they might keep doing what they’re doing, I wouldn’t if I was them (but, I already don’t) - and, at the very least maybe they’ll stop doing it in the session that I’M currently in, which is plenty enough.

But I feel this topic has run its course, at least for me, as this thread is not all about it. I always appreciate your thoughts and I totally respect your varying opinions, even if I might not share them!

OnT: I thought we’d get 2x XP doing free roam missions, starting today? Why am I still getting ~466XP? Did I miss something?

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Rokushakubo
1 minute ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Subjective really. All their IPs bust records and sell billions. RDR2 is the biggest launch in entertainment history. I'm not really going to further debate this fact, the IPs, sales and the way R* doesn't need to bother with developer interviews or demo plays, just drops a game and breaks records. People being salty over a slow beta rollout doesn't change that. 

Shane_Dbns

Free aim isn't coming anytime soon, is it? 

I tried to like the online but I just can't. I do hope Rockstar turn it around someday but for now I have to write RDO off as a dud. 

Ryan5252
36 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Yes - simple logic...

1) That's not why you do it... you do it for revenge and because you are butthurt

2) Do you have any facts that support this assumption? 

To answer number one,

If someone is hunting me, by matter of fact they are not hunting others. Do you have any 'facts' to my mindset? Can you say I'm "butthurt"? Or is there something special about you I didn't get in the GTAForum starter pack that you know the intent of all users behaviour? Thought not.

At a risk of feeding the troll, I'd wager you haven't read my initial post on this matter whereby after I killed in return for being killed I went back about my business before being chased by the poor, now multiply deceased, character.

To answer number two, it stands to reason that if someone cannot complete their main objective they desist. I understand reason is lost on some of the player base which we are unfortunate enough to share the game with. Perhaps you also fit into that category. 

Edited by Ryan5252

ZakeBudek

ALSO ... are any of these clothes represented available?!

I don't use posse outfits, otherwise these are new to me.

mNpr78p.png

ALifeOfMisery
19 minutes ago, ZakeBudek said:

ALSO ... are any of these clothes represented available?!

I don't use posse outfits, otherwise these are new to me.

mNpr78p.png

The character at the back looks to have a snakes head on his hat and the guy in the middle, is that alligator skin on his vest?

Dare I wish for the return of Trappers?

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Smokewood
10 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

To answer number one,

If someone is hunting me, by matter of fact they are not hunting others. Do you have any 'facts' to my mindset? Can you say I'm "butthurt"? Or is there something special about you I didn't get in the GTAForum starter pack that you know the intent of all users behaviour? Thought not.

At a risk of feeding the troll, I'd wager you haven't read my initial post on this matter whereby after I killed in return for being killed I went back about my business before being chased by the poor, now multiply deceased, character.

To answer number two, it stands to reason that if someone cannot complete their main objective they desist. I understand reason is lost on some of the player base which we are unfortunate enough to share the game with. Perhaps you also fit into that category. 

except the facts don't agree with you.

In my mind if I can make you chase me all over the map then I have already won.

Ryan5252
Just now, Smokewood said:

"Facts... in my mind"

So not facts then? 🤔

Ryan5252

----------------------

To go back on topic,

I wonder why they can't implement the bug fixes immediately? Weapon balancing, lost pelts after dying etc.

If they've announced it for 26th Feb they know it's an issue and they can also fix it. So why not now?

We know they can discount tonics on a whim, and they can double XP. 

Why not an interim update?

Rokushakubo
2 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

----------------------

To go back on topic,

I wonder why they can't implement the bug fixes immediately? Weapon balancing, lost pelts after dying etc.

If they've announced it for 26th Feb they know it's an issue and they can also fix it. So why not now?

I was wondering this. I guess it depends on whether the fixes are server or client side. The latter have to go through Sony's QA cert which is costly AFAIK. 

Smokewood
21 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

"Facts... in my mind"

So not facts then? 🤔

lol, they were supposed to be 2 seperate comments.

Fluffy Sock

Red Dead More 2 Come.

Smokewood
7 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

----------------------

To go back on topic,

Because they haven't fixed them yet?

They just mean that they decided to fix hem and the next release in on the 26th.

Assblaster

About the only thing I take consolation in, is the fact that high level players tend to be kind to low level players in this game (unless the low levels are dumb enough to try to grief them lol). My highest level character is only around 20th level, my favorite character is only 10th level; and I tend to get griefed only on weekends by other low level players, but I do well against those. I die if a high level psycho, armed with tier 3 ability cards, crosses my path.

I'm very disappointed that players can't collect bounties though. I thought they would find a workaround to avoid the GTAO bounty problem (where friends collect the bounties on other friends), but as usual R*'s solution is the lazy one. I don't think NPC lawmen will bother high level psychopaths one bit. They'll just be xp earners for them lol.

Glad to see daily objectives in freeroam, but I hope they're better than the ones in GTAO. Hopefully we'll see more ingenuity out of the devs this time, but I really doubt it.

What I really wish for is what I see all the time in westerns: the handgun duel. But to do it right there would have to be dexterity mechanics built into the characters, and that aint gonna happen ever. It's like in Madden, you've got the simulation crowd that favors having the players on the field with stats that impact gameplay, then there's the online competitive crowd that wants only stick skills to impact the game. R* games utilize mostly stick skills. Nobody in this game uses handguns at all, because of their limited range. If we had dexterity ability scores in the game, impacting how fast our characters draw, with additional bonuses to shooting-speed, then gun duels would be cool, and the additional velocity over rifles would make revolvers more useful in short to medium range, because you'd get more shots off (e.g. as in the Eastwood/Leone movies, where he guns down several gunmen almost in an instant).

All in all, it looks good -- possibly. And it's coming sooner than I thought. But we'll never get separate lobbies unfortunately. I just hope we don't wait months before getting a substantial content drop, and properties.

Edited by Assblaster

Ryan5252
12 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

lol, they were supposed to be 2 seperate comments.

Ok, perhaps if I quote them together it might help you.

36 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

You determine the 'facts' make me wrong and your proof is to rely on your 'mind'. 

What makes your mind 'fact' and not mine?

Hardly fact. We're both speculating, aren't we?

11 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Because they haven't fixed them yet?

They just mean that they decided to fix hem and the next release in on the 26th.

You are quite tedious @Smokewood, being both a player of the game and a member of the forum, I am aware they haven't fixed them yet. Though you ended that in a question mark so I can only surmise you're not entirely sure. I can help, no they haven't fixed them. I am also aware (by way of their own Newsletter post) that they intend to fix "hem" and have "hem" fixed by 26th. My question was why not now? 

I believe @Rokushakubo answered below. 

16 minutes ago, Rokushakubo said:

I was wondering this. I guess it depends on whether the fixes are server or client side. The latter have to go through Sony's QA cert which is costly AFAIK. 

Edited by Ryan5252

Smokewood
7 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

Ok, perhaps if I quote them together it might help you.

You determine the 'facts' make me wrong and your proof is to rely on your 'mind'. 

What makes your mind 'fact' and not mine?

Hardly fact. We're both speculating, aren't we?

You are quite tedious @Smokewood, being both a player of the game and a member of the forum, I am aware they haven't fixed them yet. Though you ended that in a question mark so I can only surmise you're not entirely sure. I can help, no they haven't fixed them. I am also aware (by way of their own Newsletter post) that they intend to fix "hem" and have "hem" fixed by 26th. My question was why not now? 

I believe @Rokushakubo answered below. 

Again, the second statement was not suppose to support the first.

I don't know how else to tell you this.

I made 2 random, unrelated statements.

Edit:

The T button on my keyboard seems to not work everytime I hit it.

Edited by Smokewood

Ryan5252
5 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Again, the second statement was not suppose to support the first.

I don't know how else to tell you this.

I made 2 random, unrelated statements

Ok, so pray tell. What 'facts' you referred to?

47 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Which facts??? Please show me the error of my ways...

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Golgotha666 said:

You folks bitching about private/invite only lobbies are in for a world of hurt. THEY ARE NEVER COMING. It goes against the business model of RDO/Rockstar/T2. It was the same in GTAO: you could join an invite/private lobby, but you couldnt do any of the CEO/MMC/Hanger stuff. That whould basically be Rockstar handing out money all day, every day. Same can be said for RDO. 

They want you in a public lobby, constantly getting killed & chewing through commodities & ammo, so you spend more money. Spending more money makes you more likely to drop REAL money on gold. The fact that this update on the Newswire doesnt mention any new games modes, just sh*t for freedom, proves my point. They want you in Freemode as mush as possible and for as long as possible. It's where their bread and butter is. 

Don't get me wrong, I know R*/T2 are out to screw folk out of their cash of course. But in my experience of GTA:O, PvE players bought shark cards too, for R* to only attract one playstyle does limit potential recurring consumers they spoke of in the other thread's posts (can't link, but it was a shareholders meeting/announcement or something).

GTA:O has only seen crew kicking and solo public grow, all while card sales and player numbers were often touted as 'the best ever' with each DLC at least until the nightclub DLC. Also, according to a source that's proven to be spot on over the years, Fun2, friendly/PvE sessions are there ready to be unlocked someday so while R*/T2 are desperate for all the pocket money they can squeeze, if those sessions aren't unlocked, they limit their potential by excluding potential consumers they're keen to attract. Just need the greedy suits to realise they could squeeze more is all, not that I'd waste my money on gold, naturally. :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin

TheShift

Seems like things are moving ahead...like they said a couple months..and a month ago.

We are getting improvements and they seem to be taking all discussion into consideration 

Honestly you can't ask more than that at this point in time 

Most excited for the future of this game 

Smokewood
50 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

Ok, so pray tell. What 'facts' you referred to?

Which facts??? Please show me the error of my ways...

It only makes it worse.

Someone kills you, you get butthurt and track them down, they call a friend now it's 2 on 1, you get killed over and over, someone helps you and it goes on from there.

A more simple solution is just to release friendly lobbies.

MXVC

So 'Free Roam' is becoming 'Controlled Roam.' Sounds like the whole game is just becoming a digital safe space. 

tonko
2 hours ago, Golgotha666 said:

Depressing but true.

Jason

It's not that I don't understand where the "they want you getting rekt so you spend money" argument comes from but idk, I don't buy it 100%. There's a group of players who don't play the game because of the forced PvP stuff, if they catered to everyone with private/PvE lobbies then you'd get their money too.

Not that the argument applies to RDO in any shape or form as you can't buy anything with gold bars that puts you at any sort of advantage over another player.

I truly think the reason they insist on this PvPvE lobby system is because they think it makes for good emergent gameplay. The reality of the situation though is that if techniques to get players into private lobbies are as popular as they are for both GTAO and RDO then you've f*cked up. The players, generally, are always right. Something is deeply flawed with your game design if so many players are going out of their way to circumvent it.

Assblaster

Invite-Only lobbies are different in GTAO than they were originally. You can do VIP work, go on treasure hunts, collect bounties, sell cars -- you can get lots more cash in them now that you couldn't get before. I think the reason they don't give them to us in RDO is possibly because there are far fewer players in RDO sessions than there are in GTAO sessions. So players in PVP lobbies would have virtually no one to fight if there were solo or PVE sessions. Who knows what their logic is; but if we were getting them I think they'd have mentioned it by now. 

Edited by Assblaster

IamCourtney
4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I truly think the reason they insist on this PvPvE lobby system is because they think it makes for good emergent gameplay. The reality of the situation though is that if techniques to get players into private lobbies are as popular as they are for both GTAO and RDO then you've f*cked up. The players, generally, are always right. Something is deeply flawed with your game design if so many players are going out of their way to circumvent it.

Yep. GTAO succeeds despite a long list of years-old issues and questionable design choices, and R* either doesn't realize it or, like the majority of the playerbase, doesn't notice and/or doesn't care.

Jason
1 minute ago, Assblaster said:

I think the reason they don't give them to us in RDO is possibly because there are far fewer players in RDO sessions than there are in GTAO sessions.

It's a reasonable thought and it's definitely been the case for other games, over the past few years in particular developers have been terrified of splitting the playerbase. It's the reason why DLC content has become free in most AAA games this console generation, I mean Rockstar admitted it for GTAO too.

That all being said while I can understand the concern from a developer point of view, the game has sold something like 23 million copies. It does not lack players, so it's not a reason that's really acceptable for RDO IMO.