1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ALifeOfMisery

RED DEAD ONLINE BETA UPDATE (February 12, 2019)

ALifeOfMisery
2 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

No comments on daily objectives in this thread? 

Here‘s to no new content... lol

It's Daily Objectives from GTAO all over again isn't it. I'll do the easy ones. I don't get to play on a daily basis so I'll never get any streak bonuses, that kind of limits my interest.

Dr.Rosenthal

@rusbeckia Daily Objectives sound fine, in my opinion but it's too early to be excited about it really. Could present us with a plethora of stuff to do, or at the very least it could be a fun way to spend time between other tasks.

But, look at how it is in GTAO, you got one "Parachute from 5000 ft", one "Sell a car to Simeon", and then, without fault "Win a Last Team Standing" (which no one plays). That's why I never bother with Daily Objectives on GTAO.

RDO could similarly have "Pick 10 Wild Feverfew", "Kill 5 players", and then "Win 10 horse races".

... or just, what @ALifeOfMisery said above, lol ^

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Talisman_83

I'm looking forward to the endless invites to do freeroam events.

Which reminds me - anyone know how to disable these without disabling invites to posse? I'm talking about for instance, King of the castle, longarm challenge etc.

Rammer2k

Still no private invite lobbies, or being able to setup, and host your own races?

ALifeOfMisery
1 minute ago, Talisman_83 said:

I'm looking forward to the endless invites to do freeroam events.

Which reminds me - anyone know how to disable these without disabling invites to posse? I'm talking about for instance, King of the castle, longarm challenge etc.

On top of this if anyone knows how to disable posse invites (I can't stand random invite spam), it would be very much appreciated.

E•MO•TION

Excellent news, just enough to get me back into the game (even if the content is still a bit lacking).

Lonely-Martin
32 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Sounds alright, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.. Griefing hasn't been a huge problem for me lately, so I feel that there could be issues with blips disappearing over distance and easier ways to Parley.

In a way I prefer that if someone fires at me for no reason, I should be able to follow them and harass them to the edge of the world if I please, and they shouldn't be allowed no parley.

I also don't want my blip going dark red because I kill someone 10 times who've killed me only once. Also, getting bounties for attacking NPC's is a bit worrying, I mean, will we get NPC Bounty Hunters chasing after us just because we feel like stirring up St Denis for a bit (without attacking players, even)?

Lots of questions, like I said - I guess we'll see. I also hope R* is willing to adjust some of these changes if they don't really work out. Judging by how they've refused to do so previously on GTAO has me a bit worried as well.

Reading this comment fills me with some hope. I really hope it does everything promised and more to stop that childish nonsense. To want to harass players to the end of the world at will is just the behaviour that should be discouraged. So they killed ya, get one back and move on. Easy. This game needs to shake that GTA-like butthurt. Who cares, lol.

And to do illegal activities should have the law called in. By all means choose to be a bandit, but doing so comes with consequence. If you want to fued, the option will be there, but now you'll only be battling with those willing rather than just harassing folk, and that's to be allowed and not punished. It's a western game and killing a man/woman is frequently portrayed to be something that warrants being hunted down, lol. (Can't believe I wrote something that obvious).

-------------

Anyway, it's not enough to draw me back properly I feel, I might give it a shot, especially if I read here it's working for the better and gaming thrives with consequences for the daft stuff, though I anticipate exploits like a player getting a big bounty and just switching session or something. Hopefully that bounty follows them and they're pestered or fined good.

For me, it really is session choice or bust and very disappointing to not see them mentioned at all still. But I'll give it another shot to get that rank 50 trophy at least with the bonus Xp before I move on from what's been a bit of a farce so far.

Thanks for the thread again @ALifeOfMisery. Always appreciated regardless of good news or not. :)

Ryan5252
48 minutes ago, jdv95 said:

So would it be wise to go back to online after having been gone for a couple months?

i have this red dead online urge again but I don't know if it will Be worth staying again with the lack of content and the increasing money gap between me and other players.

Especially all the gold I missed out on.

tnx for the help in advance !

I wouldn't worry too much about a money gap as it will come naturally when playing and there is nothing to spend it on. If you have weapon loadouts your happy with that is (Hunting and PvP).

Level gap is the main thing to be concerned about. I'm level 110 which is decent enough but it's not uncommon in show down series to see players 200-300+ and that will hold you back. 

Use this 'down time' to get your weapons and cards in order. By the time they drop DLC content you should have saved a fair bit of money and be well placed to deal with most hostile players you encounter. Other than weapons, ammo and ability cards (few pamphlets maybe) there is very little worthy of your money at this stage. 

TL;DR level up!

Dr.Rosenthal

@Lonely-Martin I'm actually most often a very peaceful player and I never attack others for no reason. 9/10 I don't even bother those running Stranger Missions. And I might have exaggerated about following them to the end of the world if they kill me once, lol, but I just feel like those who start the trouble should pay for it if they cross the wrong people, as I never start anything with them. It's common sense to me.

And I don't want them to flick on "passive mode" when they realize they've made a mistake.

You don't want to risk being killed, you don't kill anyone. Easy and how it should be. Which is also why I agree that R* are missing a huge opportunity to make Bounty Hunting a player-activity as it would present the PvP'ers with fun, rewarding and challenging PvP gameplay as well as deter people from starting trouble unnecessarily. But giving me a Bounty for killing NPC's? That's just silly. Wanted level, sure, but not bounties.

Cyoctane

All of this sounds terrible the more you think about it

Proximity player blips? When has anyone ever brought up the map while in Lemoyne and said "oh man theres someone all the way in Armadillo, Im gonna go grief them"? What problem does this solve? It's only going to waste me and my posse's time, imagine hunting for a while and then saying "alright looks like Valentine is the closest butcher, and nobody is there so it's safe" and then you travel there only to discover a posse hanging out that kills you on sight

Bounties? Oh great so I can't kill that asshole NPC that randomly turned 90 degrees on the trail to cause me to wipe out because if I do bounty hunters are going to come for me and my friends. Also I enjoy the occasional fist fight with the locals that I guess I'll get punished for now

Daily Challenges? They are going to be just like GTA, 2 easy freeroam challenges, then one PVP based challenge that I don't want to do, so basically I won't bother.

...and no mention of fixing Horse Bonding or Stranger Missions not starting

Ryan5252
14 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Reading this comment fills me with some hope. I really hope it does everything promised and more to stop that childish nonsense. To want to harass players to the end of the world at will is just the behaviour that should be discouraged. So they killed ya, get one back and move on. Easy. This game needs to shake that GTA-like butthurt. Who cares, lol.

Just this very afternoon this happened me and tbf it's not too often that it does.

Riding through Rhodes and someone thought he'd pop a shot off at me. Stopped the horse in its tracks and ended him then and there. I continued my way to Saint Denis but he chased me. Stopped the horse again and ended him. Could have left it there, but as you say it's the wild west. I proceeded to kill him every single time he respawned. I shot gun the horse and as it lay dying threw dynamite at the foul beast. Rinse and repeat probably at least 10 times. He just kept coming, calling me pussy on voice chat (strange logic I admit).

My point, he decided to engage me to begin with. He could have engaged Parley. Why shouldn't I hunt him to the end of the earth?

Do you think in the "Wild West" that behaviour would be left unchecked? I doubt it. Difference is back then it was ended, one way or another quick sticks, in this case we respawn. Back in the day, had the guy have came back after loosing half his skull, I'd bet all the money in my pockets he'd have been shot again.

He eventually left the session and continued on my merry way. 

Edited by Ryan5252
Whoever heard of "Start Denis"??

Lonely-Martin
3 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@Lonely-Martin I'm actually most often a very peaceful player and I never attack others for no reason. 9/10 I don't even bother those running Stranger Missions. And I might have exaggerated about following them to the end of the world if they kill me once, lol, but I just feel like those who start the trouble should pay for it if they cross the wrong people, as I never start anything with them. It's common sense to me.

And I don't want them to flick on "passive mode" when they realize they've made a mistake.

You don't want to risk being killed, you don't kill anyone. Easy and how it should be. Which is also why I agree that R* are missing a huge opportunity to make Bounty Hunting a player-activity as it would present the PvP'ers with fun, rewarding and challenging PvP gameplay as well as deter people from starting trouble unnecessarily. But giving me a Bounty for killing NPC's? That's just silly. Wanted level, sure, but not bounties.

If they kill you, they can't parley until you kill back. 1 for 1, if they then do parley, bounty hunters should still chase them. They paid for it by you getting one back. Just I've never understood that need to go after someone persistently because of a cheap shot and feel that aspect does need to be hampered to the point it's gone as it just breeds more and more and poisons games like this where it's more than a PvP game I believe.

Though I do agree a bounty for NPC's as opposed to wanted levels could prove a bit strong. Will have to see how that plays out for sure.

8 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

Just this very afternoon this happened me and tbf it's not too often that it does.

Riding through Rhodes and someone thought he'd pop a shot off at me. Stopped the horse in its tracks and ended him then and there. I continued my way to Saint Denis but he chased me. Stopped the horse again and ended him. Could have left it there, but as you say it's the wild west. I proceeded to kill him every single time he respawned. I shot gun the horse and as it lay dying threw dynamite at the foul beast. Rinse and repeat probably at least 10 times. He just kept coming, calling me pussy on voice chat (strange logic I admit).

My point, he decided to engage me to begin with. He could have engaged Parley. Why shouldn't I hunt him to the end of the earth?

Do you think in the "Wild West" that behaviour would be left unchecked? I doubt it. Difference is back then it was ended, one way or another quick sticks, in this case we respawn. Back in the day, had the guy have came back after loosing half his skull, I'd bet all the money in my pockets he'd have been shot again.

He eventually left the session and continued on my merry way. 

With the new fixes we'll be able to parley or fued after that one cheap shot. If they don't accept the fued, which stops the bounties and allows you guys to go nuts without consequences, then trigger the parley and move on to what you were doing as they're clearly just a pansy looking to play a childish game.

Ryan5252
6 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

With the new fixes we'll be able to parley or fued after that one cheap shot.

Agree 100% and that plus the not loosing haul after death makes their first attempt even more pointless. But if a player is so minded to take pointless shots they can expect to be hunted out of the lobby if the mood permits.

Hopefully, immediate parley and not loosing goods will cause these players to go back Fortnite where they belong. 

ZakeBudek

Instant parley should make it a "F* OFF" to any griefers and hopefully long term make them disinterested in the game. Kill me once, who cares if I'm not interested in fighting, we're done. That's largely my problem, if I don't want an endless gun battle at the moment, I shouldn't be forced into it, or forced to abandon the session, or fast travel, or run, etc. This plus feuds sounds good, we'll see I guess.

Proximity blips however will make it easier for griefers to camp in a town or near a butcher and have easier fodder. So that's annoying. Comes back to the actual solution, PvE or invite only sessions. But it might be cool as maybe friendlier players will be able to hang out near each other longer, or ignore each other and go about their business. Or griefers may learn you can't always bet on people showing up in a particular town... but once the find an active area, they will camp, no doubt.

Red blips, sounds good, but needs to persist for a good couple hours in game, also session to session and over game time not real time. Otherwise griefers will just have a the old method, act like a good blip and blow you away.

Bounties, can players claim them? That would be awesome if your posse could actually be a posse, and go collect a $50 from some red blip player. Otherwise the NPC law could be annoying, as it can be in story and even online. WITNESS, kill, WITNESS, kill... WITNESS, kill, okay, I've just slaughtered the entire population of Rhodes because some idiot walked in front of my horse. And acquired an insta-deadly NPC sniper, and a bounty.

Challenges, cool to have another way to earn G/$, but it's not new content.

We need MISSIONS, STRANGERS, and probably random events or townsfolk requests, also NPC bounty hunts, and NPCs at the farms/houses around the map, who maybe reliably act the same way based on your honor and give you new stranger missions unique to their farm/needs.

Dr.Rosenthal

@Lonely-Martin I understand what you’re saying but my experience tells me a 1-1 is not enough to deter most players. Only a couple nights ago I was chased during a Posse Assassination. We outsmarted them (didn’t even have to kill them), afterwards they came at us, we killed them a couple times each and then we left to continue hunting. Who do you think showed up after 5 minutes? We had to go hard on them until they left the session.

But well, yeah, I’ll admit - I’m a competitive player and I don’t like to lose, I could stand around doing nothing letting myself get killed three times and then parley if I’d just wanted to be left alone. But often I feel like there’s a lesson some people should learn so that maybe next time they’ll think twice about opening fire on strangers for no reason. Maybe that’s naive of me, or maybe I’m just sadistic, lol. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

GenericGTAO

Skeptical, of the law system.  Its difficult to implement a system that accounts for who actually deserves the law. So, firing a gun, committing a "crime," wrecking your horse, is going to bring full force bounty hunters.  Still better than passive mode whatever it is.

The 1v1 in GTAO were always so dumb as other players could still see you.  Yet you couldnt see other players which led to being killed by your oppenents friend. So, maybe this can be reworked.  Seems like its still ripe for abuse no matter how it done.  

All the people complaining about lobbies, if you want to PVP with free aim, there is a way, but you have to work for it.   I like that idea.  Who wants to be constantly aiming at flying birds?  Really, the price for a an owl, eagle, hawk, or spoonbill should be quadruple for a pure free aim lobby.  On the brightside no badsport.

Edited by GenericGTAO

Lonely-Martin
2 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

Agree 100% and that plus the not loosing haul after death makes their first attempt even more pointless. But if a player is so minded to take pointless shots they can expect to be hunted out of the lobby if the mood permits.

Hopefully, immediate parley and not loosing goods will cause these players to go back Fortnite where they belong. 

Yeah, it's key they fix the despawning hunting loot for sure. I just feel that whole hunting them out the lobby is playing right into a knobs hands. They want to ruin and distract folk from gaming and see their poison grow with no care for the game I feel.

But each their own as I'm not looking to knock you or @Dr.Rosenthal personally, it's just me wanting to play more as while that GTA:O-like stuff continues here, I'm just not keen to get caught up in that stuff and it's that what keeps me from playing really.

@Dr.Rosenthal. I get ya. Though I don't feel anyone learns that lesson, lol.

If GTA:O is any yardstick, they relish the attention. But again, just my 2 cents. I didn't mean to come across so strongly. I just want more incentive to play, lol.

P.T.

This is just kinda a joke . First they announcing the update two weeks out. So just "keep on waiting " . Then it does not really add that much. Sure the player bips things sounds ok . But griefers will find a way around it  , just give em time. Meanwhile not much of anything of actual substance.

And yet again not a word about free aim lobbys or private lobbies. Also id point out, because i know some Rock* d riders will reply . The player bip thing , while it may slow the griefers some in free roam, it does nothing about the auto head shot bs that goes on in the deathmatches. Thus its still not addressing issues many have raised and asked for to be fixed.So at the rate they are going , looks like maybe we get another update around end of march or middle of april, and still not a word about free aim lobbies.... well gg Rockstar....

Ryan5252

7 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Yeah, it's key they fix the despawning hunting loot for sure. I just feel that whole hunting them out the lobby is playing right into a knobs hands. They want to ruin and distract folk from gaming and see their poison grow with no care for the game I feel.

But each their own as I'm not looking to knock you or @Dr.Rosenthal personally, it's just me wanting to play more as while that GTA:O-like stuff continues here, I'm just not keen to get caught up in that stuff and it's that what keeps me from playing really.

@Dr.Rosenthal. I get ya. Though I don't feel anyone learns that lesson, lol.

If GTA:O is any yardstick, they relish the attention. But again, just my 2 cents. I didn't mean to come across so strongly. I just want more incentive to play, lol.

@Lonely-Martin I agree with you, there is a mode for everyone. Someone hunting or riding through a town doesn't need shot at and I turned a blind eye at first but if they chase you down a road I'll chase them from a lobby. What's the alternative? Wait and get shot in the back skinning a buck? Immediate Parley and not loosing goods addresses the issue mostly in my view. I can keep my pelts and ignore them. They'll still chat sh*t over voice, until I'm out of range that is 😃

It is a (rare) good move by R* to make these tools move on to other games. 

Incidentally, I ended a showdown series in Tall Trees earlier and when I arrived in free roam a 3* Elk was sitting pretty. Killed it, skinned it and loaded it. Rode to the butcher in Blackwater and sold it. I had to go for Ammo with the post man anyway. Guy standing fishing at the jetty, joined him for a few minutes, got bored so waved goodbye. Another player landed at the butcher, drew her weapon I gave a wave and she waved back. Then led my horse (for sh*ts and giggles) to the saloon ordered a whiskey and was soon joined by the same two players. Spent a few minutes then back to showdown series.

Contrary to most posts here, these dickhead players are actually few and far between in RDO. Thankfully.

Lonely-Martin
10 minutes ago, GenericGTAO said:

All the people complaining about lobbies, if you want to PVP with free aim, there is a way, but you have to work for it.   I like that idea.  Who wants to be constantly aiming at flying birds?  Really, the price for a an owl, eagle, hawk, or spoonbill should be quadruple for a pure free aim lobby.  On the brightside no badsport.

We really shouldn't have to pay to force others to play a way we/they might not choose from their options menu. I dislike freeaim myself, so to have another paying to manipulate my game is a joke. Those cards are genuinely pathetic and about as far from the immersive open world I was hoping for pre-release. 

But if session choice does come, I can avoid that pay to live/force bollocks. I don't do PvP as is so I'll be avoiding those modes anyway, but still don't want the potential forced on me in freemode. :)

Ryan5252
11 minutes ago, P.T. said:

This is just kinda a joke . First they announcing the update two weeks out. So just "keep on waiting " . Then it does not really add that much. Sure the player bips things sounds ok . But griefers will find a way around it  , just give em time. Meanwhile not much of anything of actual substance.

I'm kind of in two minds here. Dammed if do dammed if don't. People have been complaining that silence from R* was worse than even saying what they planned. Now they have, they're still dammed.

I actually believe R* make quality games, regardless of how long it takes. I also believe Take 2 ultimately call the shots and tell R* what to do, and when, to appease the shareholders.

"You will release the game when we say"

"But, it's nowhere near ready yet"

"Release it!!!"

"Ok fine, we'll release a Beta"

"Don't care what you call it, just open up microtransactions"

"But, but, but, it's not ready"

"Do it!!"

And that's why we have an amazing SP game and a balls of multiplayer. The vision is right, just give it time

Lonely-Martin

@Ryan5252. To be fair, that's why I just want session choice. As much as I hope R* are taking positive steps to stop the petty side to gaming, I'm all but convinced it just can't be done. Not with websites dedicated to glitches R* seemingly don't pay enough attention too.

In my mind, there's only one way a peaceful player can trust a lobby. Invite only/posse/friendly sessions. I really am hoping that they are in the coding and unlocked as that'll see me play this with much enthusiasm. As it is now, I'm just not interested in looking over my shoulder or being on guard all the time. I'm not against proper PvP, fully respect it has a place here, but there's room for so much more I feel. :)

jamsroob

I hope with the blimp-changes they also add an option to make the mini-map persistent, because now it's kind of dynamic, it disappears when I'm skinning or fishing or even when I'm resting at the camp fire and without the mini-map you don 't see anybody coming towards you...

Smokewood
1 hour ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I was about to respond to their post too. 

Chase them down and kill them over and over because they killed you once???

lol, and they call me a griefer???

Lonely-Martin
5 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Yeah, it soon becomes a big ol' mess to me. I see many in the GTA:O section saying they enjoy making people rage quit like this and really hoping these changes discourage that side of the game. :)

Ryan5252
18 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

1) it stops/distracts them from killing any other person in the lobby.

2) if it happened everytime they killed someone they'd soon stop doing it.

Am I missing something?

Smokewood
1 minute ago, Ryan5252 said:

1) it stops/distracts them from killing any other person in the lobby.

2) if it happened everytime they killed someone they'd soon stop doing it.

Am I missing something?

Yes - simple logic...

1) That's not why you do it... you do it for revenge and because you are butthurt

2) Do you have any facts that support this assumption? 

Rokushakubo

This is a patience game. R* is the biggest and most prolific developer and I know that RDO is going to be huge. I don't need it to be right now, I'm in it for the long run and I'm happy enough with this content drop for now. 

BUT THE BENZ

FIX, THAT, STUBBLE!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Rokushakubo said:

This is a patience game. R* is the biggest and most prolific developer

R* cannot even fix the stubble, since launch, very prolific indeed!

Rokushakubo
3 minutes ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

FIX, THAT, STUBBLE!!!!!!

R* cannot even fix the stubble, since launch, very prolific indeed!

The 2 highest rated PS4 games of all time are GTA 5 and RDR2. Very prolific indeed! Game's still in beta, you'll get your stubble. ;)