4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
alz

CUT: Guarma as a town

alz

How much evidence can be found to suggest Guarma and Chapter 5 was meant to be more playable in the game?  A lot of time was spent on making this unique ecosystem to only be used by a string of missions that lock prevent you from really exploring the space.

vLwemcN.png

Where's the road go directly west beyond "La Capilla" ?   

Also, why model a boss character for Guarma you never see in Guarma?  He's literally only seen for two seconds in a cut scene in Saint Denis.

p8pSZQV.jpg

Share any screenshots to talk about your theories!

B_E_N_1992

DLC?. Like with GTA IV, all the clues from the base game 

Edited by B_E_N_1992

Darealbandicoot

Well, Guarma has a hidden bounty system so yeah, it was meant to be bigger. 

Fluffy Sock

Don't you kill Fussar in Cinco Torres at the end? There's another 2 seconds of screen for him.😁

jje1000

Wasn't the guy at the party the same guy you blow out of a tower at the end of the Guarma section?

But yes, Guarma might have not had a town, but I think more of the map was initially planned as a free roam area (many villagers have responses to positive and negative interactions).

Again, likely more evidence of development turmoil and rushed production of RDRII, as they probably were not able to finish Guarma or make it work, so they transformed it into an Uncharted-Lite level segment. 

IMO it should have been an open-level anti-Robin-Hood perversion of the camp system where you had to pillage the local populace in order to get enough money to get off Guarma before the authorities arrived from Cuba, or an open-level Lord of the Flies survival scenario with just the gang on a desert island and no other side characters.

As is, it's largely forgettable (the little character development that occurred there could have happened elsewhere), same with the side characters.

Edited by jje1000

alz

I don't remember seeing this guy on screen.  I remember the guy that jumps out the window at the Mexican Standoff when you resuce the captain.  I thought that was the guy you blew out of the tower.

A survival series would have been exciting in the game!  Hunt, shelter, craft protection.

Dark Rosewood Varnish
24 minutes ago, alz said:

I don't remember seeing this guy on screen.  I remember the guy that jumps out the window at the Mexican Standoff when you resuce the captain.  I thought that was the guy you blew out of the tower.

A survival series would have been exciting in the game!  Hunt, shelter, craft protection.

The guy in the stand off and who you blow out of the tower is the same same guy at the Mayors party you posted in the OP, Fussar. 

jje1000
1 hour ago, alz said:

It speaks to how poorly developed and forgettable all the Guarma characters are. Who was there? There was Hercules (Haitian?) and Fussar? What did they stand for? What relevance did they have to the main plot beyond freedom vs slavery? 

But definitely, something that subverted Dutch's ideas of liberty or took the concept of survival and pushed it to the extreme would have better fit into the game's overarching theme than what we ended up with.

Edited by jje1000

UncleTacitus

Agreed. The Guarma lite we got mainly serves as a vehicle of accelerating Arthur's TB, and to a lesser degree Dutch's degeneration. It could've been so much more.

PapasHota
1 hour ago, jje1000 said:

It speaks to how poorly developed and forgettable all the Guarma characters are. Who was there? There was Hercules (Haitian?) and Fussar? What did they stand for? What relevance did they have to the main plot beyond freedom vs slavery? 

But definitely, something that subverted Dutch's ideas of liberty or took the concept of survival and pushed it to the extreme would have better fit into the game's overarching theme than what we ended up with.

I only remembered that old bitch Dutch chokes to death.

silly_nate

I really hope we get this game for PC. Mods to freely roam here, activate the bounty system, and if there’s voice work in the files for shop owners, add a general store and a hut to sleep in. Fingers crossed

Edited by silly_nate

Cutter De Blanc

I meant to follow some random Guarman to see if they had a whole day schedule, preferably one of the dudes WAY out in the fields,  but I never did get around to it

Lonely-Martin

Just like North Yankton in GTA V, could have been nice to freeroam there. Hopefully this game does something more than GTA did there. 

Shadowfennekin

Well hopefully they at least add it to Online later on. Would definitely stop us glitching to get there

lol232

I f*cking loved Guarma. You literally only have one opportunity to play there. Once you proceed with Dutch's mission, you can't get out of any other mission until you're gone from the island.

jje1000
11 hours ago, PapasHota said:

I only remembered that old bitch Dutch chokes to death.

Me too, and I remember it more because of the fact that Dutch never picks up the bar of gold he leaves her.

Oldsport
44 minutes ago, jje1000 said:

Me too, and I remember it more because of the fact that Dutch never picks up the bar of gold he leaves her.

yeah and they dont even let you pick it up and sell it when you get back to the states. but isnt there a town in the playable area of guarma? i know i seen a bunch of buildings but everytime i tried to enter the town i got sniped

McAgent

Multiple pieces of evidence that Guarma was supposed to be a free roam open area...

1. As the OP said, there is an oddly high amount of detail in an area that doesn't even get a full chapter. Could be chalked up to Rockstar's focus on detail, but personally, I think that's over crediting Rockstar.

2. Guarma is on the leaked 2016 map, with it appearing to be much larger than it is in the full game.

3. People who have been able to get out of the map boundaries and into Guarma, and then outside of Guarma's normal boundaries, have discovered that the island has an entire coastline that extends out far further than what the normal game allows. The island mostly lacks detail but is solid, which points to more evidence of free roam in Guarma being abruptly cut in development.

As time goes on, people will discover more incomplete elements of Guarma that seemed to have been present at some earlier stage in RDR2's production. Someone in this forum has already brought up the fact that Guarma has a bounty system that is disabled by default. 

Anyone have any ideas as to how New Austin fits into all of this? It seems to have been rushed into the game as well.

ThroatSlasher2

Perhaps Guarma is part of the five hours Rockstar cut from the game.

To be honest, I wish they had gone to Mexico instead. For one, we'd be able to go back, unlike Guarma, and second of all, it would have been less out of place. At first I loved Guarma because I was like: "Holy f*ck, where is this game gonna take me next?!" but in retrospect, it was quite jarring. 

The only problem if they had made us stay there for a prolonged period of time is that you'd almost forget about the gang back on mainland. This could have been fixed if more likeable characters were in Guarma as well instead of just the adorable quartet of Dutch, Bill, Javier and f*ckface.

Missed opportunity.