3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RyuNova

When is the best time to make the perfect save? *spoilers*

RyuNova

Bad choice of words but I did not want to post spoilers.

I have completed the game and I want to play as Arthur again to do the hunting and collectables and such, I miss him. Anyway, when is the best time to save? Complete all missions apart from he debt collections in chapter 2? I dont want TB at all even if its not noticeable. Can you finish every mission in Chapter 2 without getting TB or does it need to be Chapter 3? Not bothered about the location of the camp.

I am thinking about getting the fishing rod (I know you can steal one with abit of luck) and unlocking the Stables.

darkbart

I made a save on my second play through at a point when I could go no further with Arthur in the main story mode without him getting infected (this is in Chapter 2) and yes you can get the fishing rod before this point.

I made this save just after a mission called "An American Pastoral Scene", but if you just keep working your way through Chapter 2 until there is just one yellow mission dot left on the map screen for "Money Lending And Other Sins - III" this is the point where he gets infected. As long as you DO NOT play this mission Arthur will be ok. Just keep progressing all the other missions in Chapter 2 including "A Fisher Of Men" where you get the fishing rod and you will be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Edited by darkbart

RyuNova
3 minutes ago, darkbart said:

I made a save on my second play through at a point when I could go no further with Arthur in the main story mode without him getting infected, and yes you can get the fishing rod before this point.

I made this save just after a mission called "An American Pastoral Scene". There was just one yellow mission dot left on the screen and this was for the one where he gets infected, this is called "Money Lending And Other Sins - III". As long as you don't play this mission Arthur will be ok. Just keep progressing all the other missions including "A Fisher Of Men" where you get the fishing rod and you will be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Exactly what I wanted to hear, thats the perfect place. Thank you.

Jimbatron

There’s an argument to progress to chapter 3 where you will unlock things like Jeremy Gill, and the Horse Ruslters (if you want to do bandit challenges for example).

re the fishing rod I’m just playing through chapter 6 and I noticed one in Annesburg on the crates where you take cover to eavesdrop on Cornwall and Milton in “Just a Social Call” - but I’m not sure if you can pick it up.

Darealbandicoot
42 minutes ago, Jimbatron said:

There’s an argument to progress to chapter 3 where you will unlock things like Jeremy Gill, and the Horse Ruslters (if you want to do bandit challenges for example).

re the fishing rod I’m just playing through chapter 6 and I noticed one in Annesburg on the crates where you take cover to eavesdrop on Cornwall and Milton in “Just a Social Call” - but I’m not sure if you can pick it up.

Jeremy Gill unlocked right after the fishing mission in Chapter 2 for me. 

Jimbatron
4 minutes ago, Darealbandicoot said:

Jeremy Gill unlocked right after the fishing mission in Chapter 2 for me. 

I swear I checked for him and he wasn’t there. But whatever, the point about the horse fence still stands, you’ve got to complete Horse Flesh for Dinner I think to unlock it and carry on the Bandit Challenge?

PS Re the above - Money Lending and other sins III  can auto trigger later on. I think it happened to me when I read the Mary Linton letter - Strauss walker over and the mission started.

Edited by Jimbatron

Kemasus

Created saves x 2....

• Eastward Bound - A chance for a new start (Ch. 2)
  • A Fisher of Men - For when I want to hang out at Horseshoe Overlook with fishing options
  • American Distillation - My starting point for Clemens Point (Ch. 3)
  • Help a Brother out - Happier times at Shady Belle (Ch. 4)
  • That,s Murfree Country - A Ch. 5 save that I use as a lead into chapter 6
  • My Last Boy - (We all know what comes next) ...Sad times indeed. "My" Arthur is going it alone !

These saves give me a variety of places to jump in and replay in different ways. Im currently taking my time in The American Distillation save at Clemens point. I created duplicate save points to ensure these starting saves.

cp1dell

Chapter 4. Finish the story until the only mission available is American Fathers II(?). That should be the Rains Falls mission that is placed just outside the oil refinery. You are past all the tutorials, everyone should be at camp, no mission in camp that you have to avoid, and there are no effects on your core due to TB.

Darealbandicoot
5 hours ago, Jimbatron said:

I swear I checked for him and he wasn’t there. But whatever, the point about the horse fence still stands, you’ve got to complete Horse Flesh for Dinner I think to unlock it and carry on the Bandit Challenge?

PS Re the above - Money Lending and other sins III  can auto trigger later on. I think it happened to me when I read the Mary Linton letter - Strauss walker over and the mission started.

Yep

alz

I don't understand the Chapter 2 bit... there's not technical gameplay sickness to Arthur yet, right?  It's only after he comes back from Guarma he starts coughing periodically.  Then after the Doctor's office, he gets the official attribute tweak preventing him from eating lots of food, messing with energy levels and body weight.

I made saves right before the story advances to the next Camp and Chapter.  Also one just before the Doctor's office.  Then kept the last one possible in the freeroam world before Arthur's final missions.

The best one for me was just before Guarma in Chapter 4.  Arthur's "healthy" and the game's about as 100% as possible.  The Legendary Gator doesn't show up until after Guarma.  The Owl Trinket isn't possible until Chapter 6.  Other than that, all Challenges, satchels, outfits, weapons, trapper outfits, and such complete for options.

Jimbatron
12 hours ago, alz said:

I don't understand the Chapter 2 bit... there's not technical gameplay sickness to Arthur yet, right?  It's only after he comes back from Guarma he starts coughing periodically.  Then after the Doctor's office, he gets the official attribute tweak preventing him from eating lots of food, messing with energy levels and body weight.

Having done my second play through he does start coughing, albeit infrequently, well before this, I didn't note down the exact cut-scenes but definitely in Chapter 3 and possibly late in Chapter 2.

Now I'm speculating here, but a real life symptom of Tuberculosis is weight loss (hence it was sometimes referred to as Consumption). It could be the case that it becomes harder to maintain Arthurs weight after "Money Lending and Other Sins III". And actually, it feels that way, certainly compared to early in the story or versus the Epilogue - but it could be placebo. Granted, nothing shows up in the well-being stat until you get back from Gaurma, but that doesn't mean that some characteristics haven't already been changed in the background. I'm not sure if anyone can confirm with evidence whether this is, or isn't the case?

I guess there isn't an unambiguous "perfect" time to make a save. To throw in another you can't possibly complete Mrs Hobb's final request until the Epilogue even if you do somehow glitch into the locked areas of the map to do other tasks there. Like you say there's other stuff you can't do until Chapters 4 and 6, as I mentioned above, Bandit Six is locked until "Horseflesh for Dinner" in Chapter 3. The counter problem you have is that later in the story gang members start dying.

Edited by Jimbatron

JC Hammer
5 hours ago, alz said:

You need to complete Money Lending 3 to unlock Camp upgrades and fast travel

You can't hunt the legendary Gator until you complete Chapter 4's Country Pursuits. No Gator Saddle....

Right after that mission is my perfect save point. 

Edited by JC Hammer

RyuNova

Because I dont want the illness at all. I know where you get it and I know its weird but its not just me but once you know you have it whatever you do feels meaningless. I have seen alot of people say the same thing when they were told in their first play through.

And at that point is when the gang was at its happiest and the game was at its brightest. Perfect time to leave.

Jimbatron
35 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

Because I dont want the illness at all. I know where you get it and I know its weird but its not just me but once you know you have it whatever you do feels meaningless. I have seen alot of people say the same thing when they were told in their first play through.

And at that point is when the gang was at its happiest and the game was at its brightest. Perfect time to leave.

Then you need to be aware Money Lending and Other Sins III can be auto-triggered.

On my last play through I put it off as much as possible. But then when I read the first Letter from Mary Linton Strauss walked over and ambushed me causing the mission with Thomas Downes to start.

The difficulty is you’ll probably want to do the first 2 Strauss missions to unlock the ledger, ability to buy camp stuff, get fast travel etc. You can avoid the Mary Linton letter arriving by not completing “The First Shall be the Last” if you don’t mind not having Shaun back. Or create an additional save before that just incase - but don’t read that letter.

Edited by Jimbatron

SneakyDeaky

Just to let you guys know, just in case, if you trigger Money Lending and other sins III, by reading Mary's letter, the game autosaves at the start of the mission, so when you reload that auto save you are locked into it.

Of course most of us are smart and have our hard save, if not many. But anyway that's what happened to dumb me in my second playthrough; I did a bunch of stuff, forgot to hard save, read that letter, and I was locked into that mission.

Edited by SneakyDeaky

BoulderFaceplant

For free roam as Arthur, the best time to save is in Chapter 4. 

Really though you should just free roam as John postgame. That way you’re always improving your cores etc. 

RyuNova
1 hour ago, Jimbatron said:

Then you need to be aware Money Lending and Other Sins III can be auto-triggered.

On my last play through I put it off as much as possible. But then when I read the first Letter from Mary Linton Strauss walked over and ambushed me causing the mission with Thomas Downes to start.

The difficulty is you’ll probably want to do the first 2 Strauss missions to unlock the ledger, ability to buy camp stuff, get fast travel etc. You can avoid the Mary Linton letter arriving by not completing “The First Shall be the Last” if you don’t mind not having Shaun back. Or create an additional save before that just incase - but don’t read that letter.

Can you not just throw yourself off the cliff and "Cancel Mission"?

Cutter De Blanc

There are certain missions in which the option to cancel does not appear 

LeonVegaSuarez

I've been playing on a save in chapter 4. Complete every mission EXCEPT American Fathers II. This way you have everyone at camp and no mission starting there. The only mission is American Fathers II which starts slightly east of Valentine.

I really like playing as Arthur so chapter 4 seems perfect for me. Shady Belle is a nice camp and most things are unlocked. I even finished all exotics and challenges as Arthur as well (have to do the Bronte mission glitch to get to New Austin)

Jimbatron
41 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

Can you not just throw yourself off the cliff and "Cancel Mission"?

I didn’t try but if you look at what @SneakyDeaky has posted you’d need to have auto save turned off prior with no progress to lose as the very act of the mission auto triggereing will overwrite it.

Gray-Hand
11 hours ago, JC Hammer said:

You need to complete Money Lending 3 to unlock Camp upgrades and fast travel

You can't hunt the legendary Gator until you complete Chapter 4's Country Pursuits. No Gator Saddle....

Right after that mission is my perfect save point. 

The gator saddle only requires a perfect gator hide.  Doesn’t have to be legendary.

ShayD
15 hours ago, LeonVegaSuarez said:

I even finished all exotics and challenges as Arthur as well (have to do the Bronte mission glitch to get to New Austin)

Could anyone tell me what this glitch is ?

LeonVegaSuarez
1 hour ago, ShayD said:

Could anyone tell me what this glitch is ?

go on youtube and look for "Arthur New Austin glitch"