3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Typhus

Unpopular Opinions about RDR2

BoulderFaceplant

I really wish there was an option not to go after Micah. It’s really weird that Sadie and Charles beckoning John to come with them, doesn’t prompt a player choice. You could then work towards paying off the debt, at which point you get the alternate ending. I have to think this was an idea at some point during development, especially since it’s never explicitly stated John would be resigning from Pronghorn Ranch. 

KingAJ032304

The gang has practically no use outside of missions for some reason...

edit:this ISN'T unpopular really but still it's DISAPPOINTING!

Edited by KingAJ032304

RyuNova
11 hours ago, KingAJ032304 said:

The gang has practically no use outside of missions for some reason...

I would have liked the ability to have one follow you for a while.

Another missed opportunity was that the Gang Members never leave the camp unless its the set up for a mission, I would have liked to see them free roam and get into adventures of their own. Imagine seeing a cabin and finding Lenny inside robbing the place or Micah holding up a Stagecoach.

Or you finding out they are in jail and having to bust them out.

happygrowls
4 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

I would have liked the ability to have one follow you for a while.

Another missed opportunity was that the Gang Members never leave the camp unless its the set up for a mission, I would have liked to see them free roam and get into adventures of their own. Imagine seeing a cabin and finding Lenny inside robbing the place or Micah holding up a Stagecoach.

Or you finding out they are in jail and having to bust them out.

Uncle can be found getting thrown out of bars, Javier asks you to help free Bill from Bounty Hunters, there's probably more that aren't discovered yet

KingAJ032304
3 hours ago, happygrowls said:

Uncle can be found getting thrown out of bars, Javier asks you to help free Bill from Bounty Hunters, there's probably more that aren't discovered yet

Uncle has that damn lumbago... he ain't going nowhere.

on topic:

Negative: 

I think we don't have enough levelable skills. We can't increase our strength, increase our ability to stay on a horse, a PROPER working stealth stat, etc.

I also don't like how you can carry multiple different food that varies very little from each other and only give you a few health back in a game that has health regeneration

This game does not have enough melee weapons

You can't buy fishing rods... you MUST get it in the missions which is weird you can't even git fishing rods from npcs

I think there should have been different fishing rods, bows, and more arrows

I don't like how you can carry more than one type of ammo just kinda ruins the purpose of an ammo limit

I don't like how crouch uses the same functions as stealth I think there should be a press to stealth hold to crouch thing I REALLY like the stealth animation

Sadie and Charles were WAYYY underdeveloped and deserve MUCH better than what they got.

I never really got why everybody liked Sadie so much. She felt a little... generic to me. Just a Catalina 2.0 but this time she's EXTREMELY loyal and respects and love her gang and family

Water has no use in terms of if you jump in it you can only swim for a while and it doesn't really decrease your fall damage

The epilogue should have featured multiple different characters instead of just John

John prior th RDR2 was kinda bland with no reaction to anything even if his family got turned into zombies! His reactions were worse than even Tommy Vercetti despite being a MUCH better protagonists.

Positive:

Looting, eating, hunting, fishing, etc isn't the hassle people make it.

John not being able to swim isn't really an issue.

Lightning being able to strike you is REALLY cool even if it's unrealistically probable.

Overall: The best Rockstar made game to date!

Cutter De Blanc

I liked epilogue 1 more than epilogue 2, although I didn't really care for either.

Epilouge 2 is probably my least favorite chapter in the game. 

El mercenario

I like the cattleman revolver.

BoulderFaceplant

Here’s an unpopular opinion: When Arthur’s VA revealed he was recording new lines, it was a bittersweet moment. Yes, I look forward to new SP content, but the last thing I want is another prequel. 

RyuNova
12 minutes ago, BoulderFaceplant said:

Here’s an unpopular opinion: When Arthur’s VA revealed he was recording new lines, it was a bittersweet moment. Yes, I look forward to new SP content, but the last thing I want is another prequel. 

Undead Nightmare II?

O.Z
On 2/25/2019 at 8:23 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

I liked epilogue 1 more than epilogue 2, although I didn't really care for either.

Epilouge 2 is probably my least favorite chapter in the game. 

Epilogue 1 & 2 are better than Chapter 5 & 6

Edited by O.Z

Rafae S

Chapter 6 - The ending of Epilogue 2 is a f*cking slog to get through.

Edited by Rafae S

Implicitly

- The coin toss bait missions are absolutely stupid. Like when you go up to a character e.g you see Molly on your map, and then turns out it's a mission for Uncle. Don't understand the point of those and it took away character development.

- I hate how the story doesn't really utilize most of the map's full potential.

-  Guarma sucked.

- Some of the story is contradictory, and I found it silly.... Pretty pointless.

- I think Arthur's ending was cheesy, and they should've gave him a temporarily happy ending just like John got which would've given us RD3 (and I wish they made him slightly younger than 36.)

- The lack of love interest was stupid (Mary was a poorly written character.) Just so they could cater to this T.B narrative was beyond stupid and way too forced.

- Blackwater and New Austin should've been the start, or, they should've made their way from The Grizzlies to NA....

- More gang members should've been included in majority of the missions, rather than be camp fillers.

Lowkey wish they also had split the game into part I & II. Like given us a full Chapter 6 game, and then ended it on a cliff-hanger of them, IDK (entire gang), getting stuck in Guarma, or whatever tf, Australia, god knows where, and a whole new journey. I think if they had a part II with another 6 chapters, Arthur's death would've felt justified. 

Leviath4n

- Arthur death, it was very obvious that he was going to die. (I would have preferred gta v mechanics so that it does not affect the game with John)

Please do not tell me. That he did not die would affect the plot of RDR1, if this one already has several agumentales holes, it would give the same other.

- NA inaccessible

- I need to finish the game to have good things, what the point if the game is over?

~INDIO~

I wish there were bigger consequences to your honor level and that it changed the story more from Chapter 6 on.

With low honor, Arthur could lose his mind after finding out he has TB and become the real bad guy in the gang, leading to a dramatic duel. 

Maybe find him hiding in New Austin when you're playing as Javier or Dutch.

With Good honor he would kill Micah and get away from the gang with Mary or another love interest, maybe down to Mexico or New Austin. (THIS AREA NEEDED TO BE USED IN THE STORY WITH ARTHUR!)

That could be the last section of the game, letting you explore further south with new stranger missions and random events/hideouts/mini games.

Maybe find the Colt 1861 revolver down there too.

TheSantader25

I don't understand all the fuss about about removing the second holster. I don't care about removing it. 

mde2

- Shooting is trying way to hard to be realistic and you end up wasting more ammo then you should need to use because the reticle decides its going to move all around the place even though Arthur is said to be this badass accurate gunslinger.

- Deadeye feels useless because it runs out far too quickly and requires a lot of effort just to refill it and then you have to worry about stupid sh*t like certain tonics draining your "core".

- The whole core system is stupid and the system should have been that there should have been bars, and if you don't eat or sleep it caps your health/stamina/deadeye instead of draining your "cores",

- The epilogue is really unnecessary and is just 5 hours of explaining something that didn't need to be explained and it actually just contributes more to making the Marstons look incredibly stupid than anything else.

Contrarians like to circle jerk about how this game is "the ultimate triple A pleb filter" but there's a difference between an enjoyable challenge and an arbitrary challenge that is there just to be a pain in the ass. Half of RDR2 is the latter.

IG_
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Implicitly said:

Lowkey wish they also had split the game into part I & II. Like given us a full Chapter 6 game, and then ended it on a cliff-hanger of them, IDK (entire gang), getting stuck in Guarma, or whatever tf, Australia, god knows where, and a whole new journey. I think if they had a part II with another 6 chapters, Arthur's death would've felt justified. 

Sounds like a nightmare because imagine waiting 10 years to find out what happens after getting stuck in Guarma lol...

Half Life players can imagine it I guess.

Edited by IG_

Emmi
On 2/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, DoctorMike said:

The game doesn't even feel like a western, AT ALL, unlike its predecessor, the whole game had that old west atmosphere to it, despite the fact that the game was set in 1911

This. Unlike RDR1, this game feels nothing like a western to me.

- I did not enjoy the setting!

dognuts

Epilogue Part I is my second favorite chapter behind Chapter VI.

I didn’t find the ending sad at all, if anything it was relieving for Arthur’s suffering to end.

TheSantader25

The Random Encounters in RDR2 are just like the ones in GTA V. Just that there's more of them. 

happygrowls
4 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

The Random Encounters in RDR2 are just like the ones in GTA V. Just that there's more of them. 

Eh, there's alot more randomness to them than GTA V, which was 100% scripted to always be there. RDR2 has actual random ones which is a nice change from GTA V's disappointing ones.

Even if some are in specific location, atleast they repeat and aren't a one-off and missable like GTA V

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, happygrowls said:

Eh, there's alot more randomness to them than GTA V, which was 100% scripted to always be there. RDR2 has actual random ones which is a nice change from GTA V's disappointing ones.

Even if some are in specific location, atleast they repeat and aren't a one-off and missable like GTA V

The Structure is basically the same. They seemed organic to me the first time but on second thought they are actually THE SAME to me just like V. It's just an illusion that they are different. There's just more of them. They are the same as V and also RDR1. I really don't see how the "randomness" is different. V had random ambushes and events as well. Only there were far less of them. Which is why everyone just suddenly remember the ATM robberies that were repeating all the time. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Smokewood
On 2/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, O.Z said:

Epilogue 1 & 2 are better than Chapter 5 & 6

What? Chapter 6 is epic!

RyuNova

The Bow makes all long weapons obsolete unless it's got a scope. It's too powerful.

In real life unless the arrow hits the heart or brain the victim will die a slow and painful death from blood loss with much screaming.

It should have been a high skill but silent kill weapon.

Smokewood

Here's one:

Wobbleman (or whatever his name was) was right. 

Might want to un-ban his account now...

:)

O.Z
13 hours ago, Smokewood said:

What? Chapter 6 is epic!

Chapter 6 is meh... boring Indians, I couldn’t care less about any of their missions. Arthur dying like a pussy in the hands of a rat Micah was lame as well. I didn’t really feel any emotion, seeing my horse or Arthur die. Just disappointed about the lame writing on Rockstar’s behalf.

The only time I got emotional was when John took Abigail out for a date and I’m not even a romantic.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Chapter 6 is meh... boring Indians, I couldn’t care less about any of their missions. Arthur dying like a pussy in the hands of a rat Micah was lame as well. I didn’t really feel any emotion, seeing my horse or Arthur die. Just disappointed about the lame writing on Rockstar’s behalf.

The only time I got emotional was when John took Abigail out for a date and I’m not even a romantic.

For the next game it would be good if they remove Redemption from the title.

Edited by 0223998743

O.Z
1 minute ago, 0223998743 said:

For the next game it would be good if they remove Redemption from the title.

Definitely, Redemption is done and dusted, new story, characters etc

U-N-I-T-Y
Posted (edited)

Arthur's blue shotgun coat is the best coat in the game.

Edited by Usufructuarius

Smokewood
8 hours ago, O.Z said:

Well I can understand your view then. I played as a "good guy" and died of TB - was not killed by Micha (who btw is the best character in game).

The horse dying was unexpected and it did hit me hard. I only used 1 horse the entire game (once I was sent to the stables to get her) the pre-order war horse.

The indian story line is more about Dutch than the indians....it shows how Dutch uses people, especially young impressionable people. It opened Arthur's eyes... That's how I saw it anyway.