3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Typhus

Unpopular Opinions about RDR2

Jason

If you want to continue to discuss who the better gunslinger was or who was the most badass then create a thread for it, as has been said previously this is not the thread for it.

Typhus

Here's another unpopular opinion: I was really disappointed by the Wapiti.

Whilst, from a narrative perspective, I understand Rockstar's reasons for showing them as a defeated, depressed people, I still think setting the game earlier would have given us the chance to see the Natives as a real power, with far more land, and far more ability to defend themselves. When reading about history, like the Black Hawk War, I was really hoping in RDR they'd be a force to be reckoned with, but that's sadly not the way things panned out.

I also wish they were a bit more visually distinctive. So maybe Rockstar could have really tried to create their own culture, to give them a sense of individuality, but maybe they didn't want to offend anyone? And that's not me taking a shot at them, I'm just saying it's a raw subject and there's clearly a lot of open wounds for the various Native nations, so I can certainly understand them being cautious.

Edited by Typhus

Cutter De Blanc
4 minutes ago, Typhus said:

Whilst, from a narrative perspective, I understand Rockstar's reasons for showing them as a defeated, depressed people, I still think setting the game earlier would have given us the chance to see the Natives as a real power, with far more land, and far more ability to defend themselves. When reading about history, like the Black Hawk War, I was really hoping in RDR they'd be a force to be reckoned with, but that's sadly not the way things panned out.

I also wish they were a bit more visually distinctive. So maybe Rockstar could have really tried to create their own culture, to give them a sense of individuality, but maybe they didn't want to offend anyone? And that's not me taking a shot at them, I'm just saying it's a raw subject and there's clearly a lot of open wounds for the Native community, so I can certainly understand them being cautious.

Seems pretty obvious they didn't want to offend,  you can't even shoot up the place. Not for lack of their defensive capabilities either, was jumping my horse into people there, and pissed off one of the guys, he stopped, took aim, and put an arrow right through my f*cking head killing me instantly 

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

Gray-Hand
On 2/13/2019 at 1:43 AM, ShayD said:

the only duel we needed was the one where the drunk guy collapses in the street according to R*

There is a random event in Valentine where two guys have a duel, and then the winner challenges you.  It uses dead eye and everything.  The police don’t come after you either.

coach_wargo
1 hour ago, Typhus said:

I also wish they were a bit more visually distinctive. So maybe Rockstar could have really tried to create their own culture, to give them a sense of individuality, but maybe they didn't want to offend anyone? And that's not me taking a shot at them, I'm just saying it's a raw subject and there's clearly a lot of open wounds for the various Native nations, so I can certainly understand them being cautious.

There needed to be something there, a trading post, a fence, some reason to be there outside of the story missions. Of course the same could be said of whole state of Ambarino. 

O.Z

The only time I got emotional was when John took Abigail out for a date. I thought that was really well done.

ShayD
11 hours ago, Gray-Hand said:

There is a random event in Valentine where two guys have a duel, and then the winner challenges you.  It uses dead eye and everything.  The police don’t come after you either.

I know theres duels in the game, it was a joke :^)

Gummy 

I think Kieran should've lived at least until Chapter 6, develop his character even more to the point where Arthur respects and likes him in some way by proving himself in even more jobs with Arthur.

RyuNova
35 minutes ago, Gummy  said:

I think Kieran should've lived at least until Chapter 6, develop his character even more to the point where Arthur respects and likes him in some way by proving himself in even more jobs with Arthur.

Colm should have killed him personally in front of Arthur after Arthur develops a friendship with him, both him and Kieran should have been caught and tortured with Colm killing him and Arthur is forced to leave his body, we could have still gotten the scene where he "rides back into camp" 

ShayD
44 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

Colm should have killed him personally in front of Arthur after Arthur develops a friendship with him, both him and Kieran should have been caught and tortured with Colm killing him and Arthur is forced to leave his body, we could have still gotten the scene where he "rides back into camp" 

This 100%. This would have been a much better way to kill off a character.

RyuNova
6 minutes ago, ShayD said:

This 100%. This would have been a much better way to kill off a character.

It would have also made more sense for Colm to do it personally.

How I would have done it is Keiran knows its a trap and tries to convince Arthur not to go but Micah shuts him down hard with possible violence and threats on his life. Arthur rides out but unbeknown to him Kieran follows them. The meeting goes as it does until Arthur is attacked and Kieran saves him again only for both of them to be overpowered. It then cuts multiple times to scenes of both of them being tortured with Colm eventually appearing who then forces you to watch as he takes Kierans eyes and eventually kills him.

This would have also made the scene where Colm is hanged better because as it is I did not care. It was Dutch's revenge. They could have had a scene where Arthur wants to "rescue" Colm so he can kill him himself but realise that revenge is a fools game, the same message he tries to pass on later in the game.

Edited by RyuNova

ShayD
1 hour ago, RyuNova said:

It would have also made more sense for Colm to do it personally.

How I would have done it is Keiran knows its a trap and tries to convince Arthur not to go but Micah shuts him down hard with possible violence and threats on his life. Arthur rides out but unbeknown to him Kieran follows them. The meeting goes as it does until Arthur is attacked and Kieran saves him again only for both of them to be overpowered. It then cuts multiple times to scenes of both of them being tortured with Colm eventually appearing who then forces you to watch as he takes Kierans eyes and eventually kills him.

This would have also made the scene where Colm is hanged better because as it is I did not care. It was Dutch's revenge. They could have had a scene where Arthur wants to "rescue" Colm so he can kill him himself but realise that revenge is a fools game, the same message he tries to pass on later in the game.

This definitely would have added more to Colm's reputation from our point of view. All we have to go on is what we hear about how much of a ruthless guy he is from Dutch and the others, but dont see alot of him apart from when he catches Arthur. Its hard to see Colm as such a bad guy I think, to me hes not much different from Dutch. They definitely should have made him have more of an impact being Dutchs main rival.

As far as shock value goes Kierans death is up there with Sean. The scene of the horse with his headless body was totally unexpected.

RyuNova
12 minutes ago, ShayD said:

This definitely would have added more to Colm's reputation from our point of view. All we have to go on is what we hear about how much of a ruthless guy he is from Dutch and the others, but dont see alot of him apart from when he catches Arthur. Its hard to see Colm as such a bad guy I think, to me hes not much different from Dutch. They definitely should have made him have more of an impact being Dutchs main rival.

As far as shock value goes Kierans death is up there with Sean. The scene of the horse with his headless body was totally unexpected.

Yep, I personally think they are saving the Dutch vs Colm thing for RDR3 where you play as a younger Hosea. Seriously. They have an entire backstory set up for him now with him and Bessie, them leaving the Gang but coming back, Dutch and Hosea finding a young Arthur etc. A full games worth of story. We could see Dutch in his Robin Hood days, see Hosea try to keep Arthur as a decent man which would explain why Arthur is well spoken and polite.

Edited by RyuNova

Jimbatron

Great suggestions above about Kieran. The only thing I would say was that I really liked the way the mission Horseman, Apocalypse exploded out of nowhere. It really caught me off guard which I can’t remember R* doing - where you’re in your safehouse and instantly it kicks off. Normally you have to travel somewhere first.

Cutter De Blanc

I do not at all feel like I am playing a western game when I am in Saint Denis

Dark Rosewood Varnish
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

RDR2 isn't a western game at all IMO

//

The dual wield feature is massively overrated and I've pretty much never used it.

Journey_95
On 2/8/2019 at 2:05 AM, PapasHota said:

Thats more like a popular opinion, apart from the paid critics this game is being trashed in forums, youtube, twitter, etc.

Most people love the game so no that's an unpopular opinion. Just because you dislike it, doesn't mean most people do.

On topic: Sadie seems to be one of the most popular characters of the game but she is overrated as hell and lacked depth, not to mention her voice..really glad she doesn't have a big role until Chapter 5's last part, otherwise the story would have suffered.

I also love the linear missions and how you are restricted, I don't like the crappy "choose your own style" type that everyone loves to circlejerk about these days. Ubisoft games always have it and almost every mission is generic and has no memorable moments. I also saw a video of people comparing RDR2 with Breath of the Wild and that was stupid as well considering that game has sh*tty almost non existent story and characters- You can't have that much freedom and at the same time a good story

Edited by Journey_95

O.Z
39 minutes ago, Dark Rosewood Varnish said:

The dual wield feature is massively overrated and I've pretty much never used it.

Wow, that is a very unpopular opinion... I love it and use it loads

Grotti Vigilante
7 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I actually think that works to the game’s strengths. The game is about the fall of the old western frontier, and Saint Denis pretty much embodies the opposing force that is civilisation. I think this is a very good way of showing the time of the outlaws rapidly passing by. Arthur and Dutch before their deaths both say that they’re time has passed, so I think your opinion might not be so unpopular after all. It is certainly justified, I’ll say that.

jje1000
9 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

I actually think that works to the game’s strengths. The game is about the fall of the old western frontier, and Saint Denis pretty much embodies the opposing force that is civilisation. I think this is a very good way of showing the time of the outlaws rapidly passing by. Arthur and Dutch before their deaths both say that they’re time has passed, so I think your opinion might not be so unpopular after all. It is certainly justified, I’ll say that.

It's interesting, I think Blackwater (as a new town) espouses the concepts of the civilizing West better than Saint Denis, as New Orleans (from which it draws inspiration) has existed for far longer than the American West as we know it. 

Saint Denis is a metaphor for the glories of civilization in full display- if Blackwater is a hint of what's immediately to come, Saint Denis is civilization in full bloom/decay(?).

Of course, that metaphor never really needed a trip to the American South to be explained, so I'd say Saint Denis is there because Rockstar thought it would be cool.

JavierC

Now that the dust has settled. I think rockstar was aiming for a slow-burn main plot but the storyline just fell short, is generic.

I didn't care about Angelo Bronte, Lady Braithwaite, The Greys, Cornwall or whatever rich person stereotype was on screen during all my playthrought. Eagle flies or whatever, nothing was remarkable really. Arthur/Micah carried the whole thing imo.

Cutter De Blanc

I liked Reverend Swanson. I'm surprised a lot of people don't.

DoctorMike

1- John Marston is a better protagonist than Arthur Morgan and this game just made me like him as a character even more, because he basically grew from a dumbass deadbeat to a wise gunslinger

2- The fact that you are unable to swim from Epilogue part 1 and onwards doesn't even bother me as the feature is barely even used, your horses can still swim

3- DeadEye in RDR2 is not as good as it was in RDR1 because it's more arcadey (the sound effects and the animations are not as realistic) and deadeye is also much slower

4- The game doesn't even feel like a western, AT ALL, unlike its predecessor, the whole game had that old west atmosphere to it, despite the fact that the game was set in 1911

Edited by DoctorMike

LeonVegaSuarez
On 2/16/2019 at 8:47 AM, Cutter De Blanc said:

All of Lemoyne makes me feel that way.

Cutter De Blanc

Once its bond is all the way up I don't see my horses as companions any more than I do a car in GTAV,  I pretty much stop taking care of them once they hit bond level 4. Too much hassle to keep them fed

I wish there were some real incentive to keep being nice to them, perhaps if the bond level dropped back down over time from neglect

Hetraet

The aim system is sh*t...reticule shaking every moment in a shootout on free aim is just dumb, there should atleast be a toggle for it on free aim, I get it symbolizes the stress while getting shot, but it ruins the gameplay for me (being on free aim)

a z
10 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Once its bond is all the way up I don't see my horses as companions any more than I do a car in GTAV,  I pretty much stop taking care of them once they hit bond level 4. Too much hassle to keep them fed

I wish there were some real incentive to keep being nice to them, perhaps if the bond level dropped back down over time from neglect

This should happen along with crafted clothing.  Have them decline in quality over time.  This gives you incentive to take care of them. 

What about horseshoes that degrade like weapons?  Say only a 20% loss in speed if you do nothing or a 20% boost in speed if you look at it differently.  The biggest option which would sort of break the breeds it to let players purchase a different horse skin.  Go from black painted to blonde dapple.  Have it bond to that horse, unlike saddles and gear which can be transferred to any horse.

Imagine if you could purchase a house like Beecher's Hope.  (Ugh there's 3 empty ones in the game now.)  Every now & then the risk of it getting raided and torched happens.  So do perimeter patrol once in awhile.  Get a dog companion to help alarm you or hire a Ranch Hand to watch the perimeter and increase season harvest. (Don't hire Uncle!) 

With all of that you have some money drains to motivate playing for purpose rather than grinding XP in RDO.

• Spend time + money to keep your horse bonded and fast (Vehicle)
  • Spend time + money to keep your homestead protected (Home Base)
  • Spend time + money to keep your crafted styled from shredding (Identity)

O.Z
8 hours ago, Hetraet said:

The aim system is sh*t...reticule shaking every moment in a shootout on free aim is just dumb, there should atleast be a toggle for it on free aim, I get it symbolizes the stress while getting shot, but it ruins the gameplay for me (being on free aim)

It doesn’t symbolise the stress, the reticule is shaking because your dead eye core is red. 

Hetraet
1 hour ago, O.Z said:

It doesn’t symbolise the stress, the reticule is shaking because your dead eye core is red. 

Nope, it shakes even if your core is full and somebody shoots at you

~INDIO~

I don't like how in certain missions it only takes 1 shot to kill enemies, but when you find a gang hideout it takes 58 shots