3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Typhus

Unpopular Opinions about RDR2

Jason

I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but they almost shat the bed in Chapter 6 cause of the Native American story line. It is really difficult to care about brand new characters introduced in the stories final chapter, not helped by some of those missions being pretty damn dull outside of some character development for Arthur.

TheSantader25

-RDR2 has the same quality as GTA V. Though they shine in different areas. Both great games. 

-I f*cking hate Abigail. 

-I feel no emotion whatsoever towards John's family. 

-The way certain events in the story go wrong was badly written. Dutch's gang shouldn't even had survived until then if the members were that stupid as we see in certain situations. Seems like stupidity was the reason for the gang's fall. Not the growth of civilization like we expected. 

-Rockstar's aim system is outdated. I'm tired of pushing L2+R2 killing everyone. Give me some soft assist like the Uncharted series and let me AIM myself. 

BoulderFaceplant
21 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

-The way certain events in the story go wrong was badly written. Dutch's gang shouldn't even had survived until then if the members were that stupid as we see in certain situations. Seems like stupidity was the reason for the gang's fall. Not the growth of civilization like we expected. 

I too would’ve preferred that the growth of civilization caused Dutch’s gang to deteriorate (instead of just Micah and Dutch) but that would fly in the face of the many gangs still existing in areas like New Austin circa 1911. I suppose they could’ve had the story taking place in like 1905 to account for that, but even then would’ve been too early for a smart, level-headed gang to fall victim to civilization. For that to be the reason, you’d have to go further in the future with an entirely different gang. Sometimes I feel like that’s what they should’ve done. 

American Venom

Some more..

-The only part I dislike about the linearity of some missions is the controlling of basic controls like moving. Other than that I don't care if there isn't 20 different ways to do a mission. In fact the majority of the missions work because they're linear.

-The game doesn't need story DLC. I would accept something fun/off beat like Undead Nightmare 2, but the story is wrapped up perfectly and doesn't need expanding on.

-The epilogue isn't that bad. Seeing John build his ranch/home is quite a cool experience actually.

-Looting/skinning animations are hardly the hassle people make them out to be. It take a few seconds. You're not going to miss out on anything in those few seconds so relax.

RyuNova
Spoiler

The game needs a cheat to let us play as healthy Arthur again after the story that can only be turned on after you have completed American Venom.

Story spoilers, click at your own risk.

Edited by RyuNova

jje1000
11 hours ago, wagszilla said:

imo, they're limited by current gen specs and limits in AI.

I dunno, I think that these sorts of things can be mostly scripted. For instance, the camp system can be made so that you could move the camp around from a set of preset points like in Online. 

But otherwise, some of the systems are just shockingly underdeveloped, like the camp upgrade system and tracking. It's all cosmetics- as if they wanted to do something more, but were unable to for whatever reason.

3 hours ago, RyuNova said:
  Hide contents

The game needs a cheat to let us play as healthy Arthur again after the story that can only be turned on after you have completed American Venom.

Story spoilers, click at your own risk.

Spoiler

IMO the money ending should have been the one where Arthur survives, as-is that ending is nearly meaningless given the whole story arc Arthur goes through near the end of Chapter 6. It would have made for a harder choice- let Arthur survive (like Micah) but in a morally ambiguous manner, or allow him to sacrifice himself to let John escape.

5 hours ago, American Venom said:

-The game doesn't need story DLC. I would accept something fun/off beat like Undead Nightmare 2, but the story is wrapped up perfectly and doesn't need expanding on.

Strangely enough, I agree but also feel the opposite- Arthur's story is completely wrapped up and any more appearances are a bonus. However, there are too many other secondary characters who are underdeveloped (Javier and Bill especially, considering the huge role they play in RDR1)- I wouldn't mind seeing some more development for them, and seeing the main story through a different lens like the way they did in GTA IV's DLC. Basically, I want more stories set in RDRII's world as the world is a character in its own, and it'll be a shame if all this was a one-off.

That being said, DLC is coming regardless, and if it's not for SP, it's going to be shovelware for Online mode.

Edited by jje1000

JavierC

- The epilogues with the bountyhunting and house building were more fun and realistic than the main plot where you killed entire towns like it was nothing and no one mentioned it again. The weight of the story falls inmediately.

- The music in freeroam is incredibly repetitive.

- The game is fancy pants redemption, too much rich and sharp dressed characters in the story (bronte, cornwall, the mayor of saint dennis, the braithwaite lady, the braithwaite girl and grey boy, dutch and trelawny, arthur if you choose, a lot of strangers in stranger missions) it gets old. Everything is too clean.

- The map is too green and full, I would prefer the hearthlands landscape seeing in the teaser and the removal of Rhodes and a couple of towns more.

jje1000
1 hour ago, JavierC said:

- The epilogues with the bountyhunting and house building were more fun and realistic than the main plot where you killed entire towns like it was nothing and no one mentioned it again. The weight of the story falls inmediately.

- The map is too green and full, I would prefer the hearthlands landscape seeing in the teaser and the removal of Rhodes and a couple of towns more.

It's interesting how the Strawberry mission with Micah is always criticized by many for the amount of blood spilled. That was a mission that could have been tweaked to better align it with the game's mood.

It also perhaps speaks to another issue with RDRII and Rockstar games in general, where missions always turn into a run-and-gun featuring endless waves of mooks. It cheapens the experience IMO.

On the second point- definitely agree there aren't many places in the east that truly feel 'wild' beyond the mountains- you're always seemingly 5 minutes away from at least a road or a railway line.

Edited by jje1000

ChengizVlad09

I think there was a period of whole 10 days where I thought this game was a masterpiece. Never before have I experienced a feeling of immensely loving something to realizing it's a complete and utter pile of garbage, in such a short span of time anyway. No one instructed me to think and feel like it, no one suggested anything, no one opened my eyes, nor anyone forced me to do so, no one and nothing, but the game itself.

-This game and the entire world created within is nothing but one huge and empty polygon, set for its missions and side missions, where we are forced to repeatedly keep pressing dedicated button until we arrive to our point of interest marked on the map, where we will be engaged to whatever mission or side quest. Open world never seemed so redundant and unnecessary and not only that, but the overall gameplay design is so lame that it creates a certain feeling which implies that doing anything but scripted missions is nothing but unnecessary hustle and a waste of time, nothing but an obstacle in our way to finally initiate that goddamn mission. 

- Game design, as it is, heavily flawed, either in technical sense - like that mindless dedicated 'run' button tapping, that takes life out of life and evokes rage and hatred towards whoever decided it should be like that or gameplay design - like wanted system for example - completely unintuitive and inconsistent and above anything else, it doesn't make any sense at its best.

- This game is literally spit in our face and crown evidence that they don't give a damn about gameplay design - major part of the game - and here is one very palpable example; if they bothered to introduce that fake conversation system, that 'greet' and 'antagonize' bs, that sad excuse for interaction with the world around, then why in the hell we are not able to use that when needed? If I hit someone while riding a horse and I know there's that option to talk, why am I not able to use it? To try and talk my way out of trouble? No, this poor bastard will immediately start shooting upon getting up and will inevitably end up dead and I will receive that state of the (f)art wanted system on my back and I will ultimately lose more of my valuable time to finally get to desired location and start that mission for which I've been desperately tapping button for 10 minutes. Not to mention, no lawman were around. 2001 called, they want their tech back and Bethesda says 'hello'.

If this is a taste of things to come, I am not impressed and I simply don't give a f'ck anymore, cos clearly they don't and they can make whatever the f'ck they like for the investors and shareholders next time around, because just like GTA V, this game is nothing but a perfect marketing trick, being advertised to its maximum with flashy graphics and touchy story made exclusively to impress a-holes in suits mentioned above, as well as the general public which doesn't know jack $hit about games. These fake gaming reviewers and journalist, many of them probably bribed or blackmailed one way or the other, will rate it high regardless. This game is diaper disposable and has zero replay value. Maybe not if you are masochist. And all that is not a coincidence of course, they want our time in 0nline, not in singleplayer, so they will intentionally leave us with the piece of $hit gameplay design in singleplayer, just so that we don't go back there and actually play and enjoy, but to move towards online portion where we will pay to skip that broken a$$ part, and we will actually have a feeling of accomplishing something - by pay to get it, instant gratification. If we had an amazing gameplay, beautifully designed and interesting gameplay, then we would never bother to pay a dime in order to skip it, that's why they need broken systems and mechanics, that's not something random, these are predatory practices at their best!

Edited by ChengizVlad09

happygrowls
13 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I hope that their online mode becomes an utter failure

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion seeing as it pretty much is a failure right now, and would take some serious amounts of content to repair the failure

Cutter De Blanc
9 minutes ago, happygrowls said:

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion seeing as it pretty much is a failure right now, and would take some serious amounts of content to repair the failure

The active desire to see it fail is an unpopular opinion

Most people seem to want it to improve.  I want it to die.

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

TheSantader25

-While the skinning animations are longer than RDR I find them far more enjoyable because I'm not looking at John's face all the time while blood is splashing on the screen. I can see unique animations instead. 

Edited by TheSantader25

jje1000
43 minutes ago, happygrowls said:

In my opinion, if RDRO can't be fixed by its half-year mark, it should be put into maintenance mode and dev efforts dedicated elsewhere.

I 100% think that Online mode is costing RDRII SP its DLC and bug fixes at the moment.

Edited by jje1000

Lonely-Martin
36 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I agree. I want it to lose R*/T2 money and investments to the point it forces a rethink because gamers, their proper fans mainly, get a properly realised online open world game. Not a money grabbing shallow sh*tshow. :)

2 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

I think there was a period of whole 10 days where I thought this game was a masterpiece... (Snipped for space).

I think we've found Woggleman's angry friend. 🤣🤣🤠

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording.

happygrowls
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Ah I getcha now. I kind of agree but at the same time it deserves to be good, it deserves to be atleast like RDR1 MP and just that, no f*cking micahtransaction bullsh*t thank you R*

RyuNova

That lightening will not strike twice and RDO will fail. Don't invest your schmeckles in it at all.

GTAO struck gold because it was a combination of smaller factors that gelled well together, RDO is an attempted clone of GTAO and yet it came out with totally different body parts that do not gel well together.

O.Z
16 hours ago, Jason said:

I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but they almost shat the bed in Chapter 6 cause of the Native American story line. It is really difficult to care about brand new characters introduced in the stories final chapter, not helped by some of those missions being pretty damn dull outside of some character development for Arthur.

The Indians part of the story was an absolute snoozefest... I didn't care about any of them

50 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

GTAO struck gold because it was a combination of smaller factors that gelled well together, RDO is an attempted clone of GTAO and yet it came out with totally different body parts that do not gel well together.

Not to mention the fact that they jumped on the boring battle royale bandwagon, come on Rockstar! You were the last company I expected this sh*t from... but I'm sure Take 2 had a hand in it. 

RyuNova
2 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Not to mention the fact that they jumped on the boring battle royale bandwagon, come on Rockstar! You were the last company I expected this sh*t from... but I'm sure Take 2 had a hand in it. 

The minimum that RDO should have launched with is what we have in GTO now, some form of Heists, Homes, Businesses etc. How they dare release such a bare bones product and expect people to clap like seals. They are justt going to re-release all the same updates that GTO has had for another five years.

Jason

Tbh I don't care about them adding a BR mode. Although a lot of them are rubbish and dead, I like that Rockstar went mad with trying all sorts of different mode types for GTAO and I hope they do the same with RDO. It's not like RDO is a BR game, it's just got a BR mode.

I always think back to GTASA MP mods on PC and the servers that went through a variety of modes, that should be how PvP in GTAO and RDO works IMO.

Dark Rosewood Varnish
7 hours ago, JavierC said:

- The music in freeroam is incredibly repetitive.

I agree with this. While I think RDR2 is superior to RDR1, the one area I can confidently say RDR2 is inferior is the ambient free roam soundtrack, it's not even close in comparison to what we had in RDR1. 

Nulla Lex Ink.

I love RDR2 and it will probably be my favorite game for a long time to come. That said, one thing that really irked me was how you never really got to feel like you were in a gang, as was promised. The decision not to allow recruitment of gang members in free roam was an idiotic one, R* have shown they're capable of doing it before, and there's evidence to suggest it was a dummied out feature or at the very least possible, so I don't get why we can't do it in a game focused on a gang. There are also hardly any missions where you're truly helped out by more than a couple of NPCs. Usually it's a long riding sequence with a big group of folks, then only one or two of them will help you out, maybe four if you're really lucky. Or, if the big group actually does help you out, the shooting sequence is extremely brief. Oh, and I will never get over how half of your active gun members are missing during "Horsemen, Apocalypse" and there's no reason given; I realize there are AI limitations, but jeez, at least come up with an excuse for why a bunch of people who could have helped out aren't around.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, gtafaninwest said:

The medal completion is a real pain. Fact that Cockstar has been adding that since TBoGT is really annoying. 

I remember when R* finally did mission replays, after I spent years of wanting it so bad. Then I saw the gold medal things and thought "This will either be a one time thing or they're gonna ruin it." Like, why did they need to give us a "reason" to replay missions? They've always made really fun missions, why is it so hard to believe we just want to replay them for fun? RDR is so far the only one to do it right. They had gold medal stuff but it wasn't required for any achievements, although I hated how they limited what weapons you had (which they repeated with this but not V, funnily enough).

On 2/8/2019 at 10:26 AM, Grotti Vigilante said:

I think Sadie Adler is an overrated (not bad) character and should’ve honestly let the death of her husband go. She constantly undermines Arthur’s “revenge is a fool’s game” philosophy, and Arthur shouldn’t have let her chase it so much. She is so beyond any control of her emotions and it just annoys me to the point of just wanting her to leave the gang sometimes.

Spoiler

That's probably the only part of the story I didn't like. The whole game Arthur talks about revenge being a fool's game, and then Sadie takes revenge twice... and lives happily ever after. I also hate how in the final mission it's possible for Charles to say something like "Revenge, I think that's something Arthur could have agreed with." Uh, no, it's actually the one thing he could probably never agree with, actually. I remember once during that mission Charles said something about doubting if this is what Arthur would want, and I can't remember how I got him to say that (I'm actually kinda doubting it happened now since I haven't seen any vids, but I remember it so clearly), but I wish it was the default thing for him to say. I also kind of wish Charles or Sadie had died during the last mission because them living happily ever after while John gets shafted later on kinda runs counter to what Arthur preached the whole game. I get that their characters had never moved past the events of 1899 and this revenge thing was necessary for them to move on, but I dunno, just didn't jibe well.

When I first played the mission I remember freaking out and not wanting them to die. In hindsight, I would have preferred at least one, if not both. Would have been kind of neat if John's honor could have determined which died. Not sure why it would do that, but hey, it would have given John's honor meter some effect, like Arthur's had.

~INDIO~

Abigail and Sadie are annoying. I don't want to constantly feel bad for playing as John from Abigail. She spread her legs for an outlaw, think about the consequences beforehand. Enough said.

Sadie changes way too much within the story, goes from a whining widow to a "badass" bounty hunter. Just feel it was too rushed and not realistic at all.

I get that Rockstar are going along with the feminism route to a certain degree, but at least make it believable if you are doing so.

Especially considering they used to ignore the politics and actually portray characters realistically withing that timeframe.

They've let themselves become too influenced by today's idiotic politics and that was a shame to me.

It's not 2019 in 1899, just have some balls like you used to have Rockstar.

Dark Rosewood Varnish

Arthurs hat is arguably among the ugliest in the game, I literally never wear it and hate when it gets forced on us after cut scenes. 

Edited by Dark Rosewood Varnish

gtafaninwest
39 minutes ago, ~INDIO~ said:

Abigail and Sadie are annoying. I don't want to constantly feel bad for playing as John from Abigail. She spread her legs for an outlaw, think about the consequences beforehand. Enough said.

Sadie changes way too much within the story, goes from a whining widow to a "badass" bounty hunter. Just feel it was too rushed and not realistic at all.

I get that Rockstar are going along with the feminism route to a certain degree, but at least make it believable if you are doing so.

Especially considering they used to ignore the politics and actually portray characters realistically withing that timeframe.

They've let themselves become too influenced by today's idiotic politics and that was a shame to me.

Speaking of feminism, whenever you antagonize female pedestrians then the male pedestrians put on their capes and try to attack you.

Rafae S

Hunting and fishing are boring as f*ck.

ChengizVlad09

@Lonely-Martin I'm not sure I get the reference, but I bet it's funny.

Anyway, staying on topic here, I'm far from being angry, hell I'm not even disappointed anymore, I'm past all that and I've made my peace with the fact their games have become products that supposed to charm the whole community with expensive tricks and overemphasized stories just for long enough until the 0nline portion takes over the scene where they will charge us extra to let us skip all that unnecessary grind based upon broken and - at its best - outdated or almost non-existent gameplay design.

In terms of gameplay systems and mechanics and general quality of it, Rockstar reduced itself to Yoga mission from GTA V. Or watching a horse taking a crap. That's the best they can do, or should I say the best that T2 can allow them to go for since, having anything that is even remotely engaging and fun seriously gets in the way of implementing MICROtransaction bs. 

At 23 million units of RDR2 being shipped, investors aren't happy... if that doesn't scream something is wrong and if that's not in fact, spit in faces of the 23 million customers then I don't know what to say. If that's the foundation to build your games on - fondling investors balls - then I hope all this is nothing but a bad omen indicating imminent doom and I really hope they'll find great community in investors, cos they'll be the only ones left to buy their games in the end.

But I kinda doubt they give a flying f'ck about games.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

Satanta

Well, I still love the game overall even with it's flaws-most listed from Abigails attitude-as mentioed she spread for an Outlaw and, according to Dutch not just for John-and John never argued the point so she was, at one point, the camp slut.

Sadie was ok but I keep seeing people wanting her as DLC-not me.  Also don't want Undead Nightmare, BTDT-I'm thinking something like 'Tremors' would be fun or 'The Thing' [[Heck they have Aliens all over the place in the game-in fact in GTA5 if, in the first mission that takes place in the snow and ice, you drive off a bridge to a frozen river there is actually a Zenomorph frozen in the ice-you fail the mission but it's there]]

The control issues already mentioned, the lack of any real firearm choices and there were actually a lot thru that time period.  Some more Known than others-like the Cattleman Revolver vs the Volcanick Pistol  [[which was an underpowered, problematic Hunk-O-Crap in Reality.

Mentioned this several times but it's going on the list-just in case sdomeone from R8 actually reads this stuff and missed it before.   I am old enough to own my house, own my car, own my business, pay my bills-those bills include the electricity and Internet used to play the game.   Do not Censer me in my own game-telling me I cannot name my horse 'Mukluk' after my dog that passed away is utter, frelling horsesh-t.

Honestly, I feel, at this point I would have been just as happy with it picking it up second-hand much cheaper than what I got pre-ordering it.  Especially when the pre-order stuff like the horse can be killed.   I got Warhorse in RDR1 from a secondhand game as a DLC and Warhorse did not die permanently.

Been hoping to see Bully2 but I may wait for it Secondhand if this SJW-NPC Politically Correct nonsense continues.   Not like R* is the only game company out there.

O.Z
8 hours ago, ~INDIO~ said:

Couldn't agree more. Very well said!

RyuNova
11 hours ago, ~INDIO~ said:

Then you missed the point. Sadie was always a badass even before her husband was killed, she did everything he did and did it just as well. Once the initial shock of her husbands death (and possibly her own repeated rape) wore off and she somewhat got her mind back she went back to her old self with the seething anger and rage added.

it is possible to have strong female leads without them being Mary Sues influenced by SJW Feminism you know and contrary to popular belief not all women back then were baby makers being beaten by their angry alcoholic husbands. And you also do realise that nearly eight years had passed since she was widowed and she appears again as a Bounty Hunter, are you trying to tell me that a woman could not become a badass Gunslinger in eight years?

Lonely-Martin
4 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

@Lonely-Martin I'm not sure I get the reference, but I bet it's funny. (Snipped for space).

I was just having a bit of fun, that chap I mentioned was one to say he liked the game but was heavily influenced by his friends complaints and was one to quote those complaints rather than just be honest with himself. Quite a funny chap with how he was acting.

But you do mention much I can agree with and I see your points too. I do like the story mode but since online showed it's hand, I've been left feeling empty and haven't been able to even enjoy story since really. This whole microtransactions era is really disappointing and seeing them added to the beta before fixes and new content is rather ridiculous.

I'm hoping they add much to improve there, but with each passing day or comment from R*, like how it'll be 'months' and how we consumers are expected to buy so much beyond the game itself is showing me that they're going for the jugular after how GTA:O went these last few years.

I genuinely feel my days as a R* fan are coming to an end because of the obvious greed and how they consider those that choose to play and not pay are freeloaders to them. It's gone too far. :)