1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Billy Russo

Apex Legends

Billy Russo

apex-legends-logo.jpg

Apex Legends is the new battle royale game from Respawn Entertainment, the makers of the Titanfall franchise.

Colour me intrigued. I enjoy Battle Royale games, and a game set in the Titanfall universe with Titanfall mechanics sounds really dope. Reveal is today if anybody wants to watch. Word on the street is the full game will be stealth dropping as well, and it's free-to-play.

Edited by Billy Russo

happygrowls

After Titanfall 2's excellent campaign and multiplayer, going from something that good to yet another Battle Royale game because of the Fortnite craze is kinda annoying. I get some people like Battle Royale, but to me it just seems to be used with a successful game franchise to re-ignite interest in it, but not giving the actual fans of the franchise something they want.

Another good example is Red Dead Online's Battle Royale, which was something I think about 5% of players wanted before actual content.

Static
3 hours ago, happygrowls said:

After Titanfall 2's excellent campaign and multiplayer, going from something that good to yet another Battle Royale game because of the Fortnite craze is kinda annoying. I get some people like Battle Royale, but to me it just seems to be used with a successful game franchise to re-ignite interest in it, but not giving the actual fans of the franchise something they want.

Except thats not what happened at all. 

"It’s one hell of a revelation, as we learned that Titanfall 3 was indeed in development during the fall of 2017, when publisher Electronic Arts purchased Respawn for many millions of dollars. At the time, as I reported this past Saturday, a source told me that the third Titanfall was under way and that the studio was looking to get it out as quickly as possible, for fear of it looking and feeling dated if it came out too much later than 2018 (thanks to its use of the Valve-created Source engine). I speculated that either A) this was a stopgap en route to a proper Titanfall 3 or B) whatever work was done on Titanfall 3 has become Apex Legends."

So fans of the franchise were either getting this or nothing. And tbh, if this is what they have to do so they can focus on Jedi Knight: Fallen Order, then I'm okay with it.

Jason

Not sure what to make of this tbh. Haven't had the chance to play it with a proper group yet but it feels like a solid game, no early access BS, runs smooth, controls fine, etc etc - it even has an FoV slider on console which is amazing. There's some neat ideas as well like the ping system.

It is however chock full of monetisation stuff and the prices for buying skins individually is pretty horrible considering that you're buying them on a per-hero basis versus Fortnite's you can use whatever skin you want system. But if you don't want to shell out £18 on a skin you can always buy 10 lootboxes for £8 because the game has those too. Also squad size being three man is such an odd pick really, it almost feels like they're trying be contrarian with it. Bet a lot of regular BR friend groups will avoid playing with it just because they have to leave a man out, especially considering there's no duos or solos.

Fun 2

Holy sh*t this game is freaking amazing.

I installed it with the belief that it's just another Battle royale game but it changed me from "lets see this game" to "If I can play it everyday, I will".

What's awesome about this game is the communication and the characters.

There are lots of quotes for the characters to say stuff like "Enemy spotted", "Loot over here", "Weapon over here", "Ammo over here" and sometimes the characters talk when something happens in the map like the champion squad getting eliminated.

You can also ask the squad to watch over a spot as a way to ensure one squad member is watching this spot while you watch the other spot.

The developers did amazing job with offering so many team-based features that you don't need a mic to communicate with your team.

Moving on to the characters, each character is balanced in a way that none of them is OP enough to take out a whole team.

It might only happen if you use the surroundings to your advantage. For example, there's a character that place gas traps and its ultimate ability is to spread out deadly gas over a large area.

This character won't survive in the wild because the only thing it can do is trigger gas smoke to disappear or trick the enemy. If the enemy team is smart enough, they will wait until your smoke vanish and proceed to kill you. Another disadvantage is that it's all about camping and placing traps, it won't be useful early on because 1- no one is likely to appear and if they do, they have the choice to move forward and leave you behind, 2- the map circle will decrease and reach you and then you'll have to re-locate leaving your traps behind.

This game also force you to character selection before the match starts, one team member could choose your favorite character and you'll be forced to choose another character.

At first, I disliked this feature but now that I've played a few games, I understand why it's important. The developers are asking you to adjust your play style to fit other characters and not limit yourself to one. It's more of a chess game before the match starts, you have to keep in mind the characters your team took and choose the one that fit them. All characters fit with each other but which one is the best. For example, if your team is all offensive you have to be the defensive one or you can go offensive but then you have to keep in mind the location where your team drop. Is it a place where you have the higher advantage now that you're all offensive ?

You also drop as a team rather than each one playing solo, there's the option to make someone else take the lead and choose where you drop or you can go solo but dropping as team is important because like I said, you communicate in such a way that you feel like you're playing as a team rather than this character you're currently playing, your team inform you of the loot available in the area and you do the same.

This way you can arm yourself in a matter of seconds and match up the speed with your team.

TL;DR

This game is special because you can communicate with your team without a mic, and it's made in a way that it's not all about being skilled player.

The enemy is taking the advantage and getting close to finish you off ? Pop out that defensive shield (tactical ability) and call in artillery strike (ultimate ability) to wipe them out.

Team work is as important as your skill.

Edited by Fun 2

Turan

This is the first shooter MP game this generation that has managed to completely win me over. I can’t stop playing this game. It is sooo satisfying. 

I’m trying to unlock Mirage. I feel like he would be perfect for my playstyle. 

Currently I’m killing it with Pathfinder. Love  his mobility. 

Billy Russo
3 hours ago, Turan said:

This is the first shooter MP game this generation that has managed to completely win me over. I can’t stop playing this game. It is sooo satisfying. 

I’m trying to unlock Mirage. I feel like he would be perfect for my playstyle. 

Currently I’m killing it with Pathfinder. Love  his mobility. 

The game is very fun. I know it's become almost cool to hate on Battle Royale games because there is so many of them, but this is a very well made game and I feel it has used the concept the best. Respawn has done a great job. At least if they bring out a Titanfall 3 now, it will actually have some interest from many new fans to the Titanfall universe. 

Pepperjack

I agree, i've played both pubg and fornite, didn't care for either of them too much, but this is actually worth it.

Jason

What are your guys thoughts on the time it takes to kill people? Personally I think it takes too long, not keen on the health + shield + armour system either.

It's good though, the movement is great and the map design is a breath of fresh air for a BR game.

Pepperjack

Depending on the gun and the attachments i'm pretty okay with it, then again getting the right ones is all based on finding them so. It's hit or miss. 

angeldust

is it just me or does the name Apex Legends sound like a gamertag youd see for someone in a mw2 quickscoping clan in 2010

THEGTAGUY4
On 2/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, angeldust said:

is it just me or does the name Apex Legends sound like a gamertag youd see for someone in a mw2 quickscoping clan in 2010

Most MW2 gamertags I remember are the following: XXXQUIKSKOPZXXX,XxXIclappedYoUrEMum,69quikzgopmasta69

THEGTAGUY4

I like the game,it's pretty hard for me but i love  Respawn Entertainment and it has a nice feeling on it (probably because i loved Titanfall 1 and 2). My fav BR game so far is Ring of Elysium https://store.steampowered.com/app/755790/Ring_of_Elysium/ it's f2p and it's really fun. Try it,you wont regret it. This game,Fortnite,PUBG and blackout are tied 2nd.

Audi
On 2/11/2019 at 6:35 AM, angeldust said:

Sounds more like a mid 2000s racing game to me lol

THEGTAGUY4
7 hours ago, Audi said:

Sounds more like a mid 2000s racing game to me lol

Yeah,or an MMO'S name.

Edited by THEGTAGUY4

PaeganLoveSong

Apex is odd because I like it while not being a fan of either BRs or hero shooters. BRs fail for me because of the RNG involved in finding gear/weapons and hero shooters fail because, to me, a core element of FPS is picking/choosing how your character will be geared up.

If they're going to stick with the hero shooter aspect? Make each character have different stats and not just different abilities. The tank should actually be a tank (balanced because he's twice the size of everybody else), Pathfinder's grapple should have a further reach, Bloodhound's special should be more than "you can see highlighted enemies," etc. This makes picking a character mean more than just finding one with a special you like or a cool skin you unlocked.

Jason

Giving heroes different stats would be disastrous tbh. The hero system here works in a BR game because everyone is the same, same movement speed, same jump height, same health, etc etc etc. It's also an FPS at the end of the day so giving abilities too much influence would f*ck with the balance.

Basically, Apex is a FPS BR game first and a hero shooter second, flipping that around would produce a game that goes against everything Apex is trying to be and what makes it so popular.

MarshDanni

Anyone playing the game here? Just started today, gotta say. Fun times!

PaeganLoveSong
Posted (edited)
On 2/21/2019 at 10:45 AM, Jason said:

Giving heroes different stats would be disastrous tbh. The hero system here works in a BR game because everyone is the same, same movement speed, same jump height, same health, etc etc etc. It's also an FPS at the end of the day so giving abilities too much influence would f*ck with the balance.

Basically, Apex is a FPS BR game first and a hero shooter second, flipping that around would produce a game that goes against everything Apex is trying to be and what makes it so popular.

Everybody has the same speed and health, sure, but not everybody has the same sized hitboxes. Gibraltar is 2-3x the size of Wraith, for example, and thus makes him a much easier target to spot. Not only that, but his abilities are trash in a game where grabbing a shotgun and bunny hopping are the norm, as his ADS shield can easily be shot around and his dome shield can be invaded. 

There's a reason most winning teams are some combo of Wraith/Bloodhound/Lifeline/Bangalore/Caustic. They're the meta in a game where everybody is given equal health but some targets are easier to hit. That's not exactly well balanced.

Either lean harder into the hero shooter aspect or give me a reason not to pick the meta heroes because, as it stands, it's an incredibly smooth FPS but, as a BR, isn't as balanced as H1Z1/PUBG/Fortnite where every character has the same hitboxes. Maybe the answer is just to buff certain specials and not buff health, I don't know, but I do know that I get a much more balanced shooter experience elsewhere even if the gameplay isn't nearly as smooth or polished as Apex.

Edited by PaeganLoveSong

Jason

They're actually tweaking hitboxes soon, so we'll see how that plays out. Also, Caustic is not only one of the bigger hitboxes that they're tweaking but they're even buffing his abilities, he's not really meta atm. There's definitely some more buffing they can do ability wise but if they make any of the heroes move/jump faster or have different health pools then the whole thing falls apart IMO. It's a shooter first, hero shooter second and I think if they make the abilities too strong then it'll ruin what makes the game good.

PaeganLoveSong

I figured they'd be tweaking it, so it's good to know that the patches are coming in soon.