1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

White Shark

Why do you think R* doesn't add to previous content?

Jenkiiii

It's complex, yet a lot simpler than some people realise.
Rockstar are not owned by Rockstar, but by Take-Two Interactive, and because T2 are a stock-market listed company, have to answer to their shareholders over and above everything else.
Of course Rockstar would like to improve their code and answer all the little complaints that people constantly make about their game, but they have their hands tied because they must produce content that can be reported back to the shareholders, and that's why we've had so many new and mostly dull adversary modes over the years just for the sake of content. This is the sixth fiscal year of the game, and it's all about corporate profits unfortunately. It's not directly Rockstar's fault, but corporate greed and ambitions that require constant growth and profits.

I believe that in the future people will look back at GTA online as a game that was exploited for the sake of profits, instead of being perfected for the benefit of real gamers and fans.

Edited by Jenkiiii

Sentinel Driver
5 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

They added quite a few tracks with the nightclub though. Can't see that as an issue with the billions they made here. :)

They had a special deal with the dj's

adding music tracks, especially from more popular artists from all genres to all radio stations would be a hassle

Lonely-Martin
18 minutes ago, Sentinel Driver said:

They had a special deal with the dj's

adding music tracks, especially from more popular artists from all genres to all radio stations would be a hassle

I can't see them change a current station's music unless a licence expires. All they gotta do is pay royalties like when they added Blonded. Plus as you showed, they could seek out other lesser known DJ's and add stuff that way too. A tuner DLC with a DJ mix wouldn't be too hard to come up with, IMO. Add it to the club as well even. :)

Quinn_flower

Lazy mofos that’s why

oops im bitching again gotta stop that lol

Edited by Quinn_flower

Pedinhuh

They did proved that they can add and revisit content with new features, and I'll give examples that comes from the top of my head:

-Added the ability to have no-contact races back in 2015 or 2014, I can't remember when;

-Added extra weather and time options for user created races for land and Stunt races back in 2018 or 2017, again details are fuzzy but I don't remember that weather options was not possible to be selected.

-Added GTA races with teams, for both land and Stunt races, somewhere in 2017;

-Added the ability to completely disable catch up for user created Stunt races, in 2016 or 2017;

-Savage got a significant armor buff back in smugglers run update, making a viable option in PvP against grounds targets(and made it damn scary to face against too);

-Lectro and Vindicator got their KERS unique ability added to Stunt races, making them less terrible for it, I don't remember when though;

-With Smugglers Run R* added the ability to open the cargo ramp of the Titan and Cargobob, back in the days that was only possible by hitting the back of these aircrafts in specific places to open them;

-With Arena War update R* revamped the physics of vehicles built-in rams and scoops, with this now the Ramp Buggy, Phantom Wedge and Armored Boxville are viable daily drivers and fun to throw around in freeways and get your revenge against assholes drivers who cuts you off in I/E missions;

-New liveries and tuning options for the Futo, Ruiner, Patriot, Praire, Penumbra, Mamba and Coquette Classic, in the After Hours update;

-Added hidden tuning options specifically for the Declasse Mamba, namely the rollcage + speedster windshield + front custom bumper combo, somewhere in 2016;

-"Luxury finishes" for original weapons like the Combat MG, Sniper Rifle, Carbine, Pistols and etc...In 2015;

----------

So, why don't they do it more often?

Frankly, none of us know, at best we have educated guesses and mine is that they are just too lazy to fiddle with old code...Or maybe their dev team responsible for Online is new and is too unexperieced to deal with it.

I want them to do the most is:

a massive car classes overhaul, remove the advanced handling flags of all vehicles that have them, fix the Faction collision issues, add more damage defirmation to all DLC vehicles post 2016, remove both Oppressors from MC menu, nerf the explosive cannons of jets, add a "safety lock" radius to sticky bombs, proxy mines and RPG/Homing Rocket Launcher/grenade launchers so you can't blow yourself up with it, add countermeasures(flares and chaff) to old aircrafts and sales vehicles, remove the lock on ability of CEO Special Cargo and MC Businesses vehicles in buying/stealing and sale missions...Like it is on Import/Export, Gun running and all the other updates forward, add a RGB scale to LSC/Benny's and other tuning garages and unlock worn and other types of paint jobs. 

But all of this involves fiddling with old code which I'm not sure R* is currently capable of.

Edited by Pedinhuh

Rafae S
41 minutes ago, Quinn_flower said:

Lazy mofos that’s why

oops im bitching again gotta stop that lol

wow you're still on this site 

AcidXRain73

I want to work for Rockstar. I would never have to work on old code or not fix all my bugs. Sounds like a dream job.

Rafae S
5 minutes ago, AcidXRain73 said:

I want to work for Rockstar. I would never have to work on old code or not fix all my bugs. Sounds like a dream job.

lol

Pedinhuh
6 minutes ago, AcidXRain73 said:

It seems to me that they have a quota of bug fixing to do...But they surely like to take their time to fix them, unless it affects their bottom line or its clothing glitches(looks like they declared a war against these).

In the mean time the Faction keeps its collision issues since 2015.

Bandersnatch

Short answer

Don't touch Pre 2013 rage code. It will rage back.

(Please note this is pure speculation) 

White Shark

Hmm, I'm not very technical when it comes to computer coding, but is it really that fragile that even changing small things will mess up the coding?

Examples where they have changed old content previously that worked:

• Ability to upgrade Pegasus vehicles e.g. Insurgent
  • Ability to store Pegasus aircraft and change paints etc
  • New clothing that completely changes the look of your character
  • Altering the Bombushka to allow cargo hold to work - (then promptly changed back again lol)

Aren't these small examples of how they can add and alter previously existing things to allow new features / looks?  

I think blaming the code is a bit of an excuse and as you all said, it's more likely to do with laziness and R* preferring to add new paywalls to the game.

Such a shame.

MostlyPonies

I know nothing about the game's code. If they wanted to modify an old car, but couldn't without messing up the code, can't they just remake the car with new code and hide the old one?

Rafae S
22 minutes ago, MostlyPonies said:

I know nothing about the game's code. If they wanted to modify an old car, but couldn't without messing up the code, can't they just remake the car with new code and hide the old one?

yes but they can't hide the old one without compromising the game in some fashion 

irish.chr
40 minutes ago, White Shark said:

Hmm, I'm not very technical when it comes to computer coding, but is it really that fragile that even changing small things will mess up the coding?

Examples where they have changed old content previously that worked:

• Ability to upgrade Pegasus vehicles e.g. Insurgent
  • Ability to store Pegasus aircraft and change paints etc
  • New clothing that completely changes the look of your character
  • Altering the Bombushka to allow cargo hold to work - (then promptly changed back again lol)

Aren't these small examples of how they can add and alter previously existing things to allow new features / looks?  

I think blaming the code is a bit of an excuse and as you all said, it's more likely to do with laziness and R* preferring to add new paywalls to the game.

Such a shame.

I don't know about this games code in particular, but in my experience coding even the smallest change, such as a single letter, can break the program beyond repair. Even changing it back sometimes doesn't fix things.

But I'm not a professional creator of video games, so R* should probably have better code management.

Kiwi_91
11 hours ago, RyuNova said:

They went back and changed the OpMkII so thats bullsh*t. Changed it for the better I might add and added new abilities to it.

They need to go back and let us buy Heist and Terrorbyte upgrade for the Yacht.

old features, basically means "old features". not something that was added in recent years. hence why they can change the oppressor mk2

RyuNova
2 minutes ago, Kiwi_91 said:

old features, basically means "old features". not something that was added in recent years. hence why they can change the oppressor mk2

Semantics, I read that they wont go back and change stuff from previous updates because the code is so fragile.

Kiwi_91
1 minute ago, RyuNova said:

Semantics, I read that they wont go back and change stuff from previous updates because the code is so fragile.

they do it sometimes, like shortening the personal vehicles waiting time in arena war. i think they know its risky, but can still be done with a bit of care and extra time. i assume the code from newer updates is easier than the old updates / release day features.

mute!

Didn't add to give you more reason to upgrade to GTA 6 which will most likely include improvements on all of those and then some. 

Voodoo-Hendrix

I think people are getting confused about what R* can fix and what it can't.

Things like rebalancing a certain weapon or a certain vehicle are actually pretty feasible, because most of theor behaviour are dictated by values. The infamous advanced handling flags are proof of this.

Now, the things that can't be changed without having to rewrite the original are things that are hardcoded in the game, like for example, the vehicle spawn system. Notice how instead of reusing the old one, R* just created a new one for both CEOs and MCs (and even then, both are different in functionality).

Not that it matters anyway, because as long as the community don't push for these changes to be made, nothing will ever get done.

But hey, it's not like a massive petition backed up by this site couldn't make waves or anything, right? It's not like it didn't worked for OpenIV or anything.

;)

Jenkiiii

Reading through the comments of this page, Rockstar remind me of the age-old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Of course Rockstar can fix and test their code, but they don't choose to do so for multiple reasons, especially if there's nothing specific to be marketed or profited from.

Take the timer reduction to the mechanic call out, reduced from 5 minutes to 2 minutes after the Arena Wars update, and how straightforward that was to change, and then think about the disorganised Pegasus vehicle list and how easy it would be to sort this out alphabetically. Like @Pedinhuhmentions above; there are millions of little things that Rockstar have changed over the years, even the grass being made greener from old-gen to current gen, but the fact they don't do it on a consistent basis is baffling, especially when you look at the continuous mess-ups with vehicles. Did anyone buy a Slamvan and convert it to a Future Shock Arena vehicle? And shake their head at not being able to change the stock wheels or add a license plate - bugs that have never been fixed since vehicle release, which they could/should have fixed for the new DLC.

Edited by Jenkiiii

Quinn_flower
2 hours ago, Rafae S said:

Wow and you’re still not banned?

Rafae S
30 minutes ago, Quinn_flower said:

already was but i came back reincarnated 😤

yet your annoying ass is still here unfortunately 😭

MostlyPonies
2 hours ago, Rafae S said:

yes but they can't hide the old one without compromising the game in some fashion 

I guess having an upgrade at Benny's would solve that, since it'd be a different car.

Snoopbr

I wish they just improved/increased existing content, but unfortunately R* doesn't look back, only in rare ocasions like:

- new decals to some old gen cars

- few old cars added to Southern San Andreas Super Autos

The rest are bug fixes and other changes not related to DLC content. I think they are afraid of not taking a good revenue from updating existing content, that's why they make something totally new. We are still waiting for new wheels for all cars, but we get tons of masks instead.
#wheelsexuality it's about time!

Lonely-Martin
4 hours ago, Rafae S said:

1 hour ago, Quinn_flower said:

🎼 'Can you feel the love tonight...'🎼

😂

Rafae S

tenor.gif?itemid=5027619

Agent 14

They could show single player some love for once by adding all the dlc vehicles.

Pedinhuh
10 minutes ago, Agent 14 said:

They could show single player some love for once by adding all the dlc vehicles.

We all want that but we also should remember that this simply isn't happening..First, because in R* views as a game dev, SP is a complete and finished product that already ran it's course(they see Online as a separate product that comes with the game...Which is bullsh*t but they're allowed to believe in whatever they want), and secondly because they don't have any incentive to do that seeing as shark card sales do not affect single player at all and a addition of this scope would certainly break a lot of unrelated things in the game.

Rez090
On 2/4/2019 at 8:35 AM, Kurisu655 said:

I've also thought about this kind of thing for Rockstar to do. I think they should take the custom variants of cars that spawn within Los Santos in single player and have them in Online. We have some, but they rarely spawn. Now I know someone might think that "you can't store them" and they'd be right. What I think they should do is change the prices of old content and also remove the "high end" flags on cars and bikes so that they can be stolen. Take the Feltzer or the Bati 801 for example. These are from the original release and still remain the same price. Rather than discounting them in a certain event week, change the price permanently. This concept is highly unlikely to happen, but it's also nice to put ideas forward

What motorcycles have high-end attached to them? All the cycles you see on the streets can be sold/stored.

Quinn_flower
18 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

🎼 'Can you feel the love tonight...'🎼

😂

Edited by Quinn_flower