1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

White Shark

Why do you think R* doesn't add to previous content?

White Shark

Rather than releasing brand new DLCs or content all the time, why is it that R doesn't add more features to previously released content?  For example:

• Furniture for properties
  • Drink machine for hanger
  • Decorations for properties e.g. flag customisation to MC Clubhouse, different wall colours etc
  • More liveries for all vehicles
  • Liveries for Pegasus Aircraft added to Hanger
  • More interiors (restaurants, Burger Shot, bars etc)
  • Staff, assistant customisation like different voices, clothing, hair colour etc

Adding this stuff will have a few benefits.  It keeps old content fresh.  Gives more choice and variety, allowing more unique features without everyone's properties or things being samey and boring.  All this stuff will have a cost, so it'll keep R* happy.  Not only will new players have more choice, but old players will return to businesses, vehicles and properties they have previously overlooked or got bored of.

But why doesn't R* do this?  I reckon some of this would be much easier to do than release a whole new DLC.  And before people say "cos it's an old game / cos it's old content" etc, remember the game is still updated by R* all the time and there are new players joining GTAO every single day.  And besides, it's a quick and easy way to charge players for even more features and things.  If players are willing to spend money on the CEO Safe (lol) or paint designs for the interior of the Arena Workshop, then they'll definitely part with money for some of the features mentioned above.

Just strikes me as odd.

Billy Russo

To be honest, I reckon most people would bitch about this. You see it all the time. "Look at :r*:recycling content."

They brought out the Doomsday Heist, which I didn't expect after the initial release of Heists. So they do it rarely.

Astrohurricane

I don’t get it either. Think of all the new cars that have been released that they could add to I/E. 

The number of extra contacts and related contact missions that could have been added. 

The number of crate collection/business supply missions they could add. Swap them out with existing ones to keep the grind fresh. 

Think of the revenue they could generate from adding just one heist a year.

The list is endless and yet goes untapped. As all we get is endless dlcs containing bloody adversary modes that ppl play once and never touch again. 

Edited by Astrohurricane

Rafae S

So as to not break up the code/make the game a buggy mess.

Edited by Rafae S

MyUziWeighsATon

To promote creation of threads like this. 

Mach1bud
12 minutes ago, Rafae S said:

So as not to break up the code/make the game a buggy mess.

This. It's easier and more cost effective to add new stuff on top and not change things already implemented. Too easy to break stuff and cause bugs, and not enough shark card sales to warrant the effort.

The few times they have gone back and added/changed stuff with previous content I am almost sure was all either cut content or the simplest sh*t they could do. The liveries on older cars for example. 

Voodoo-Hendrix

- Laziness.

- Too much effort with not much return in profits.

- They don't want to keep former content fresh, they want it to become obsolete so people would rather buy the next hot paywall, money sink or griefing machine.

- All of the above.

CarimboHanky

the game just like any other computer software could have major issues if they start messing with 5yo old code.

so its more efficient to simply create new sh*t, new locations and give customization option than to take the code from lets say the OG apartments and start messing with them to try add customization to it.

Lonely-Martin

Yeah, I'd love them to add so many little things to older content, and though making those cars we can steal available to buy was a bit cheesy, the added liveries were very welcome. I hope for more of that at least.

I agree with all previous answers though. Lazy, coding issues, they want new content to drive card sales to show the powers that be the creating new stuff was worth it. That sort of thing.

Sentinel Driver

Many reasons and the important of which have already been stated here such as spaghetti code and laziness

Kiwi_91

i heard that they can't change or alter older features due to the way they've developed the game. apparently changes to the smallest of things could completely break the game.

MeisterJazz
7 hours ago, Mach1bud said:

This. It's easier and more cost effective to add new stuff on top and not change things already implemented. Too easy to break stuff and cause bugs, and not enough shark card sales to warrant the effort.

The few times they have gone back and added/changed stuff with previous content I am almost sure was all either cut content or the simplest sh*t they could do. The liveries on older cars for example. 

Is this why they refuse to fix stuff that needs to be fix?

Sanches

wE dOnT tOuCh OlD cOdE

Happy Hunter

Not competent enough to do it without breaking stuff, or they just don't hire enough people/pay them enough to be able to do that.

RyuNova

They went back and changed the OpMkII so thats bullsh*t. Changed it for the better I might add and added new abilities to it.

They need to go back and let us buy Heist and Terrorbyte upgrade for the Yacht.

Cratoz

Because GTAO is a victim of accretion. Since pretty much the initial release Rockstar was going by the philosophy of design by landfill instead of refining and fixing content to fit the newer content, probably due to lack of long term vision. R just added and added more content on top of one another held together by duct tape. Now we have a big pile of code that is basically like a house of cards, not as bad, but not ideal for games as a service.

Laziness surely is also a reason why some things don't get fixed or old content doesn't get expanded (I still want new Survivals), but I guess the constant demand for new content versus the risk of breaking the game even further by touching the the old content is not worth it in Rockstars mind, at least most of the time.  GTAO is already doomed and it will get worse once Rockstar stops updating the game as new glitches are inevitable at this point.

So my guess is, GTA Onlines true enemy was/is bad planning.

Edited by Cratoz

rollschuh2282
6 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

They went back and changed the OpMkII so thats bullsh*t. Changed it for the better I might add and added new abilities to it.

They need to go back and let us buy Heist and Terrorbyte upgrade for the Yacht.

you mean that they made it a bit quicker than before?

that was just a change in a file everyone can edit.(on pc i mean)

btw, that vehicle was added just the update before, so the oppressor mk2 was not yet "old content", so they could still modify it´s code bc it was still new enough and no system depended on it yet.

RyuNova
52 minutes ago, rollschuh2282 said:

you mean that they made it a bit quicker than before?

that was just a change in a file everyone can edit.(on pc i mean)

btw, that vehicle was added just the update before, so the oppressor mk2 was not yet "old content", so they could still modify it´s code bc it was still new enough and no system depended on it yet.

No, they added a landing ability to it and the ability to manually retract the wings in flight to gain another speed boost.

Press the hand brake while hovering and the bike will quickly drop straight down to the ground.

Press and hold the hand brake while moving forward to retract the wings and gain twenty MPH taking its top speed to 130 MPH.

It never had either of those abilities.

REXX
59 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

No, they added a landing ability to it and the ability to manually retract the wings in flight to gain another speed boost.

Press the hand brake while hovering and the bike will quickly drop straight down to the ground.

Press and hold the hand brake while moving forward to retract the wings and gain twenty MPH taking its top speed to 130 MPH.

It never had either of those abilities.

Bear in mind that the Oppressor MKII is fairly new and doesn't depend on old coding, hence why its easier to mess around with it. A car such as the Carbonizzare for example, a true day one vehicle, probably still has the old gen code, so slight modification to it could ruin the whole thing. As mentioned above, adding liveries is different as its only adding a UV map, which essentially is a new menu. If Rockstar would want to improve the engine of the Carbonizzare, they'd most likely do what they did with the Nero and Itali GTB and make upgraded variants so they just use new code instead of tweaking old ones and potentially f*cking up the whole thing.

Taterman

If they can't mess with old code, why not at least add new contract missions (they added the Dispatch), survivals, special cargo missions, or new I/E missions? Would it kill them to add a couple fresh songs to the radios stations?

RyuNova
4 minutes ago, Taterman said:

If they can't mess with old code, why not at least add new contract missions (they added the Dispatch), survivals, special cargo missions, or new I/E missions? Would it kill them to add a couple fresh songs to the radios stations?

They wont, Contact Missions do not fuel the sale of Shark Cards and cannot be griefed as much as Free Roam sales can. They won't added new I/E missions because people realised that they can use them to test fully upgraded Supers before they buy them and to be fair we have had two completely new radio stations added since launch.

Sentinel Driver
11 minutes ago, Taterman said:

Copyright stuff for new music is probably too much of a hassle

rollschuh2282
36 minutes ago, REXX said:

Bear in mind that the Oppressor MKII is fairly new and doesn't depend on old coding, hence why its easier to mess around with it. A car such as the Carbonizzare for example, a true day one vehicle, probably still has the old gen code, so slight modification to it could ruin the whole thing. As mentioned above, adding liveries is different as its only adding a UV map, which essentially is a new menu. If Rockstar would want to improve the engine of the Carbonizzare, they'd most likely do what they did with the Nero and Itali GTB and make upgraded variants so they just use new code instead of tweaking old ones and potentially f*cking up the whole thing.

actually adding liverys and tuning options is really easy.

if a car already does have existing liverys, then i just need to put the texture into a .yft file and tell the game in the carcols.meta that it is a livery and tell the game the modelname and name string etc.

and tuning options are very similiar.

(if a car doesn´t have liverys, then it´s just a small car model edit.)

i added tuning options to cars already.

btw do you mean with "improve the engine" the performence of it like the speed and acceleration, or the engine model that you see in the car?

Edited by rollschuh2282

Lonely-Martin
43 minutes ago, Sentinel Driver said:

Copyright stuff for new music is probably too much of a hassle

They added quite a few tracks with the nightclub though. Can't see that as an issue with the billions they made here. :)

oleg_aka_djmeg

as people sad here: spaghetti code that can't be changed without the entire game falling apart, laziness, lack of motivation to add/fix things that don't drive fish card sales. can i have my zr350 already please.

Edited by oleg_aka_djmeg

Kurisu655

I've also thought about this kind of thing for Rockstar to do. I think they should take the custom variants of cars that spawn within Los Santos in single player and have them in Online. We have some, but they rarely spawn. Now I know someone might think that "you can't store them" and they'd be right. What I think they should do is change the prices of old content and also remove the "high end" flags on cars and bikes so that they can be stolen. Take the Feltzer or the Bati 801 for example. These are from the original release and still remain the same price. Rather than discounting them in a certain event week, change the price permanently. This concept is highly unlikely to happen, but it's also nice to put ideas forward

REXX
2 hours ago, rollschuh2282 said:

btw do you mean with "improve the engine" the performence of it like the speed and acceleration, or the engine model that you see in the car?

Both 😛

rollschuh2282
2 minutes ago, REXX said:

Both 😛

well...both wouldn´t break anything.

the performence is just a edit in the handling.meta, and the model of the engine you see in the car is just a model edit.

elfoam

When you have a game where half the game engines car colours still can't be used there is no hope.

REXX
40 minutes ago, rollschuh2282 said:

well...both wouldn´t break anything.

the performence is just a edit in the handling.meta, and the model of the engine you see in the car is just a model edit.

I stand corrected then :)