3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

MidnightZephyr

Griefers Ruin Hunting

MidnightZephyr

I’ve been playing Read Dead 2 and Read Dead Online for a while now, and I loved both and thought online was amazing with great potential and quickly leveled up so I could buy the bolt action and varmint rifle and the fishing rod so I could have fun and make some money, it was great at first. Then I started seeing things about griefers and I didn’t know what side I was to begin with because I wasn’t a griefer ( I never shot unless shot upon) and never really experienced players griefing me either but has time went on and weeks started to pass it just got worse and worse to the point where I totally agree that griefers ruin the entire online part of the game. Just today I hopped on read dead online with my friends to have a little fun and we we hunting three times and the first time mid way through a posse of 7 rolled up and just destroyed us without us even noticing they were there, fair play I’ll give them that on they just want a fight, so we joined a new lobby went to Saint Denis and I went fishing while my other two friends were just messing around with a boat and after my hunting/fishing trip where I had about $40+ In goods a guy just ran up to me and shot at me so I used dead eye and quickly killed him then realized he was a griefer and after my stuff I ran to the butcher in Saint Denis and tried to sell ASAP only to be locked from selling because I was so called “in combat” after I killed someone who shot me two minutes ago and is no where near him. So o tried to wait and wait only for him to catch up and kill me then SELL ALL OF MY STOWED PELTS and carcasses right in front of me and I was helpless. At this point I was pretty frustrated and again joined a new lobby to hunt in my favorite hunting spots near Strawberry where it’s usually quiet, so fast forward about ten minutes where I had max perfect pelts and a perfect elk pelt and two three star birds and decided it’s time to sell and reap in some great profits to find out that again the world hates me and upon arrival a try hard griefer was waiting for me hiding at the butcher looking a chill person then quickly one shorting me and proceeds to again sell all of my freaking pelts. At this point I was furious and really tried of online and after playing a few story mode missions with my friends whil still angry on the three consecutive hunting trips ruined by griefers got off after having a great day ruined. Something has to be done with the griefing problem, I understand killing people, it’s a rockstar game even I just want to get into a good fight out with another posse here and there, but the fact that you can just camp butchers which are already unreasonably rare in the game and kill someone and steal of their hardwork for your own benefit with out any effort at all is just broken. Don’t even  get me started about the no sell while combat rule, that is beyond dumb in my opinion. I’m tired of griefers and I’m refusing to play anymore online until this issue is solved, and am only sticking to story mode for a long while. It’s sad that a toxic community can ruin such a beautiful game. 

hotrats773

Contrast this with the three hours I just spent online with not one run-in with another player. 🤔 Feast or famine.

Not sure what to tell you except hang in there and don't let those experiences sour you on the game. I hate it too and have had to adapt until R* gets off their asses and institutes some checks and balances to counter these douchenozzles.

wehweh01

If you want to hunt in Rhodes choose New Austin and fast to Rhodes. Want to hunt in New Austin? Same thing but choose Saint Denis. Repeat when necessary.

Protip: Do not hunt as a large group. It tends to cause players to spawn in your area since its populated.

Edited by wehweh01
Subscribe to Pewdiepie

Van_Hellsing

My guess is that griefing and butcher ambushes are a way of throttling. Even the glitchy butcher interface.

If you would be 100% successful in hunting, you would level up too fast and have heaps of cash. 

It is of little comfort for you, but I start to enjoy the occasional noob who wants a piece of me when I am hunting. They see me skinning and decide to score a easy kill. Only to get spawn raped. 

Ambushes at the butcher are a pain. I always ride to the butcher with my shotgun out. I am not pointing the shotgun at anybody. But there will be no mistake that there will be consequences.

And I adopted a different mindset. If I suspect that someone is manouvering for mischief, I shoot first. Better that the others are pissed off than me. 

You have several options :

- Quit RDR2 online and start playing 'My little pony'. Still something with horses. 

- Wait until the world becomes a better place. 

- Wait for the beta to end and Rockstar will implement passive and invite only sessions. 

- Use the Impotent Rage, level up and unlock abilities and better guns so that you become a death incarnation of a troll hunter. 

What will be the fastest?

Edited by Van_Hellsing

ThaBirdCoot

Looks like you need them cards OP. And a bit better situational awareness.

We Are Ninja
9 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

If you want to hunt in Rhodes choose New Austin and fast to Rhodes. Want to hunt in New Austin? Same thing but choose Saint Denis. Repeat when necessary.

Protip: Do not hunt as a large group. It tends to cause players to spawn in your area since its populated.

5 hours ago, ThaBirdCoot said:

This is the best advice you'll get, OP. Don't hunt in a populated area, and be aware of your surroundings. 85%-90% of the players I've encountered in this game are peaceful, or are willing to leave you alone if you leave them alone. At the same time, always, ALWAYS be prepared to take it to the sexually-frustrated, emotionally-damaged, unloved man-children (or actual children) that comprise that remaining 10-15%. The only thing you can do for them is to become proficient enough at combat to show them the error of their ways via repeated trips to the Killed By [You] with [Weapon of Choice] screen.

Callahan44

Blame rockstar not the players. With a good bounty and honorsystem griefing would be rare. Im actually suprised how peaceful most servers are though(or were,havent played for weeks).

Dr.Rosenthal
11 hours ago, hotrats773 said:

Contrast this with the three hours I just spent online with not one run-in with another player. 🤔 Feast or famine.

Not sure what to tell you except hang in there and don't let those experiences sour you on the game. I hate it too and have had to adapt until R* gets off their asses and institutes some checks and balances to counter these douchenozzles.

6 hours ago, ThaBirdCoot said:

^ And what @wehweh01 and @We Are Ninja said.

Get a card that makes it so you can’t get one shotted, and you’ll feel a lot safer, I guarantee that.

Sure, the problem won’t go away but it makes it a lot easier to handle. Some sessions are more chaotic than others, just the way it is at the moment.. and sometimes it’s as peaceful as ever for hours.

But yeah, spawn in elsewhere and go to where you want to hunt, get a few good cards and upgrade them, and apart from that just try and be smart about your hunting. I try and focus on fish and small game and only pick up 3 star large pelts and carcasses when on my way to the butcher thinking I got a clear path.

But yeah, it sucks when you lose stuff, no doubt about that.

Ektope
1 hour ago, We Are Ninja said:

The only thing you can do for them is to become proficient enough at combat to show them the error of their ways via repeated trips to the Killed By [You] with [Weapon of Choice] screen.

Only people who PvP often in showdown would know how to do this. But some lack the experience.

LeopardLove27

Had a run-in with a LVL 145 with explosive ammo the other day, no way to hide from that. It's going to be awful once the kids get up to that rank

Ektope
5 minutes ago, LeopardLove27 said:

Had a run-in with a LVL 145 with explosive ammo the other day, no way to hide from that. It's going to be awful once the kids get up to that rank

Then you use slippery and plenty of covers. It's how I fight even the highest levels, so they can't use explosive ammo on you.

Edited by Ektope

LeopardLove27
7 minutes ago, Ektope said:

Then you use slippery and plenty of covers. It's how I fight even the highest levels, so they can't use explosive ammo on you.

Yeah I just unlocked slippery a few levels ago but haven't  tried it. Thanks for the advice!

We Are Ninja
31 minutes ago, Ektope said:

Only people who PvP often in showdown would know how to do this. But some lack the experience.

Agreed. That's why he needs to get proficient. He needs to become the warrior in the garden, not the gardener in the war. As a player in a R* sandbox, you need to earn your stripes because these games attract assholes, and you'll have to contend with them at some point or another.

We Are Ninja
23 hours ago, Callahan44 said:

Blame rockstar not the players. With a good bounty and honorsystem griefing would be rare. Im actually suprised how peaceful most servers are though(or were,havent played for weeks).

That's a cop out. Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Just because the player has the option to be a griefing asshole doesn't mean that they should, or that they're absolved from any sort of accountability should they choose to do so. 

Edited by We Are Ninja

netnow66
On 2/1/2019 at 11:48 PM, MidnightZephyr said:

I’ve been playing Read Dead 2 and Read Dead Online for a while now, and I loved both and thought online was amazing with great potential and quickly leveled up so I could buy the bolt action and varmint rifle and the fishing rod so I could have fun and make some money, it was great at first. Then I started seeing things about griefers and I didn’t know what side I was to begin with because I wasn’t a griefer ( I never shot unless shot upon) and never really experienced players griefing me either but has time went on and weeks started to pass it just got worse and worse to the point where I totally agree that griefers ruin the entire online part of the game. Just today I hopped on read dead online with my friends to have a little fun and we we hunting three times and the first time mid way through a posse of 7 rolled up and just destroyed us without us even noticing they were there, fair play I’ll give them that on they just want a fight, so we joined a new lobby went to Saint Denis and I went fishing while my other two friends were just messing around with a boat and after my hunting/fishing trip where I had about $40+ In goods a guy just ran up to me and shot at me so I used dead eye and quickly killed him then realized he was a griefer and after my stuff I ran to the butcher in Saint Denis and tried to sell ASAP only to be locked from selling because I was so called “in combat” after I killed someone who shot me two minutes ago and is no where near him. So o tried to wait and wait only for him to catch up and kill me then SELL ALL OF MY STOWED PELTS and carcasses right in front of me and I was helpless. At this point I was pretty frustrated and again joined a new lobby to hunt in my favorite hunting spots near Strawberry where it’s usually quiet, so fast forward about ten minutes where I had max perfect pelts and a perfect elk pelt and two three star birds and decided it’s time to sell and reap in some great profits to find out that again the world hates me and upon arrival a try hard griefer was waiting for me hiding at the butcher looking a chill person then quickly one shorting me and proceeds to again sell all of my freaking pelts. At this point I was furious and really tried of online and after playing a few story mode missions with my friends whil still angry on the three consecutive hunting trips ruined by griefers got off after having a great day ruined. Something has to be done with the griefing problem, I understand killing people, it’s a rockstar game even I just want to get into a good fight out with another posse here and there, but the fact that you can just camp butchers which are already unreasonably rare in the game and kill someone and steal of their hardwork for your own benefit with out any effort at all is just broken. Don’t even  get me started about the no sell while combat rule, that is beyond dumb in my opinion. I’m tired of griefers and I’m refusing to play anymore online until this issue is solved, and am only sticking to story mode for a long while. It’s sad that a toxic community can ruin such a beautiful game. 

I agree with you, especially since Rockstar stated they wanted to keep Red Dead Online " a fun and fair environment for everyone" in their own promotional materials. Granted the game is still in beta but right now, this game is a wreck in terms of what Rockstar said it would be when it comes to griefers.

Faceplant8
23 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Get a card that makes it so you can’t get one shotted, and you’ll feel a lot safer, I guarantee that.

Sure, the problem won’t go away but it makes it a lot easier to handle. Some sessions are more chaotic than others, just the way it is at the moment.. and sometimes it’s as peaceful as ever for hours.

I felt that way for a while, until a posse snuck up on me while I was having fun hunting on a train. Apparently a shotgun into the back from short range (I assume that's what it was) is instant death even with max health and level 3 "hat" protection.

What really made me mad was the @$$hats just killed me, and the NPC driver, and then ran off to continue their griefing somewhere else. They could have ridden the train all they wanted, even driven the train. Even if they had killed me to steal the train I would have thought there was some purpose to it, but as it was, it was pure griefing and nothing else.

They got nothing out of it, and I was stuck with a train with no driver, which doesn't work well when you're trying to get the achievement for hunting from a train. Days spent searching for such a train ruined so someone could get 10 seconds of thrill shooting someone in the back.

Red Lynx 23
1 hour ago, We Are Ninja said:

That's a cop out. Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Just because the player has the option to be a griefing asshole doesn't mean that they should, or that they're absolved from any sort of accountability should they choose to do so. 

At least reports for griefing and glitching are taken seriously in RDO, unlike GTA Online. At the moment they have purportedly been temp banning players for at least three days. Who knows if there will be bad sport lobbies, or better yet..the idea that some are calling for. If a player griefs someone enough times, they will get an option for the griefer to be hung at the gallows and then kicked form the session, along with the parley and feud options.

Pressure Drop
On 2/2/2019 at 5:48 AM, MidnightZephyr said:

Just today I hopped on read dead online with my friends to have a little fun and we we hunting three times and the first time mid way through a posse of 7 rolled up and just destroyed us without us even noticing they were there

This is the most important part of your post.

You are playing with friends... this means you do not need to hunt in Free Mode. You can start a story mission together with your posse and just ignore the objectives, go hunting instead and sell at a butcher. There you have your own private world with no griefers. Then complete the mission after 30 minutes or so and get another large payout for the mission. Simples!

If you're on your own in Free Mode, just look where all the player blips are, and fast travel somewhere that is deserted. Rarely, if ever, will anyone travel across the map to grief you. Or just hunt birds northeast of Saint Denis. Even if you are killed, you cannot lose the feathers you already picked up. Think outside the box and use your noodles!

Edited by Pressure Drop

Larcen
24 minutes ago, Pressure Drop said:

Or just hunt birds northeast of Saint Denis. Even if you are killed, you cannot lose the feathers you already picked up. Think outside the box and use your noodles!

This is the best answer, if just trying to make money.

Triple the profit...in half of the time...for a fraction of the risk.

TCA

Paragraphs my friend.

i would always hunt out in big valley. Not many people out there and strawberry is nearby, just check the map first and if you see anyone change sessions and check again. Then on the way back get some small game.

Edited by TCA

ZakeBudek

I'm not reading all that mess, but I assume I agree. I'm past that, you need to learn to just move to part of the map where there's no one, then keep an eye out for anyone heading your way. I prefer to hunt Rhodes/Sant Denis, but I can hunt around Valentine, outside Blackwater, Strawberry... long story short, any butcher. And if you have a friend online there's much easier ways. Sometimes players are everywhere, so it's not going to work out, session hop til you get what you want.

My argument is generally WHY should I have to play that way? Keeping an eye out for someone purposely looking to grief? R* is being lazy, sure it's a beta (still), but private/friend lobbies solve it, I favor a more modern PvE melded to PvP lobby version, c'mon it's 2019 make a GAME. But they can't even add lobby versions, and making players fight is a way to not add real content.

Anyway, griefers only "win" if they grief you. Be willing to lose the pelts and carcass you're carrying. 3* buck, 5 perfect boar skins, etc., best case scenario, your horse is carrying $20-25 max? Who cares? You got killed? Who cares? I mean, I hate that crap, but ultimately they did't win anything, or prove anything other than how lame they are.

FreeMaxB585

Most people I come across are cool. But yea anyone else who kills someone minding their own business hunting is a straight loser. Its fine if they are doing a mission and you get some XP for it but not when you gain nothing

and damn use some paragraphs that was painful to try and read

Edited by FreeMaxB585

Van_Hellsing
On 2/2/2019 at 6:48 AM, MidnightZephyr said:

upon arrival a try hard griefer was waiting for me hiding at the butcher looking a chill person then quickly one shorting me and proceeds to again sell all of my freaking pelts.

By6oklv.gif

Ghoffman9

I avoid towns with lots of players in it, and I never skin or pick up a kill when a player is near. Numerous times I see player ride by shortly after a kill, pause a ways up the path and watch. Its clear they were waiting for me to enter the skinning animation so I would be powerless and unable to defend myself. In turn I just stand there with a rifle in hand staring them down, sending a clear message that I knew what they were waiting for.

DentureDynamite
On 2/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, wehweh01 said:

Oddly enough, I'm finding that this doesn't work quite as well as it used to.

Don't get me wrong--sometimes it works quite well; but not usually for long, as players soon start showing up.

CapoV91

The only griefers stealing my pelts are rockstar game servers 

rusbeckia
16 minutes ago, CapoV91 said:

The only griefers stealing my pelts are rockstar game servers 

Lol true that. But it got considerably better in the last 1-2 weeks. I haven‘t had a single server error the whole week.

DarksunDaFirst

I almost never have trouble with hunting.

My tips and tricks:

• PLAN YOUR ROUTE - I can not stress this enough.  Know generally where the animals are whose carcasses you want to put on your horse - get them last.  Generally speaking the best ones tend to be closer to cities and I think this was planned.  Cougars outside Blackwater, Bucks outside Valentine, Big Horns and Elk north of Strawberry, Aligators and Turtles outside of St. Denis.  Make sure you know what butcher you want to end up at and plan accordingly.  Start far away from that spot and move in that direction.
  • SMALL TO BIG - get all your satchelstuff first.  Fish, small game, etc.  Especially with the small game - don't worry about getting good and poor squirrels...just shoot them and get what you can get (or use small game arrows - they pay for themselves with perfect squirrels and birds).  Find a spot to fish for Salmon or Trout and fill up.  Get some of the "junk fish" too if you want to rest a few minutes because you don't need to worry about breaking lines...just hook and reel (and don't forget to yank repeatedly, it brings them in faster).
  • MIND YOUR SURROUNDINGS - you need to be vigilant and make sure know one is coming to you, especially while you're skinning.  If you have a smartphone, download the RDR app and use the map.  Put that thing right by your TV so you can constantly glance at it.  It has saved me countless times because I can...
  • BE READY TO DEFEND YOURSELF - keep your horse handy and your favorite weapons ready to go at an instant's notice.  If you're about to be attacked, don't worry about that animal on the ground that needs to be skinned still...leave it.  Defend yourself and run.  It's not worth it trying to grab it either, just start riding once you've established your defense, gotten the kill, and then ride in the opposite direction.
  • HORSE STAMINA IS KEY - keep plenty of horse stims available, or wild carrots if you run out.  If you need to ride away you'll want that horse to always be able to run.  In Online you can feed him/her in full gallop - learn how to do it while at full speed and just keep going.  
  • GO SOMEWHERE ELSE - if you notice that there is a lot of fighting in the city/town you're heading towards to sell your wares - take the long way and go somewhere else.  Your horse can swim...assholes in Blackwater?  swim across the lake to Rhodes.  And vica verse.  It only takes a few minutes.   Again - stims to keep your horse going.  
  • F*** IT - it happens.  You'll lose your wares when someone pops you.  It happens.  Deal with it and move on.  Don't get stuck on revenge.  Switch lobbies if you need to.  Everything in your satchel will carry over to the new lobby...this is why I say go for the small game first, because even if you lose all them skins you can still have over $100 worth of sh*t in that satchel.  Hell fishing alone can net you $65 if all you catch is Trout, Salmon, and Bass.  All them junk fish is another $20-30.  Plus any rabbit skins.  So it'll never be a total loss.

Lastly - stock up on ammo beyond your carry capacity.  The post office will store it for you.  I literally have hundreds of all types of rounds just waiting for me to pick them up.  Bullets are cheap, but your life is cheaper (to others).  

Happy Hunting!

And remember - it's only griefing if they don't leave you alone.  For all you know they're hunting you for a bounty.

EDIT:  As BearChow said - hitch your horse because apparently this can save your skins (I haven't tested yet).  In that case, also set your horse to only be usable by you so no one can grab your horse (someone did that to me the other night).  In the wilderness you can hitch your horse to most trees.  As an added benefit in the case of defending yourself, your horse won't run so it'll be easy to grab different weapons.  

Edited by DarksunDaFirst

yeezy203

While the greifer problem is as bad as it is right now you have to be aware of your surroundings. The map is your friend if you don't feel like keep pulling it up in game than use the companion app. As soon as I log on I look at who is around me. I observe for a few seconds, if someone is greifing usually they will come right after you. Trust NO ONE, especially when you have pelts or doing a stranger mission. If you start by going to an isolated area then keep your eye on the map every once in a while during the skinning animation. Even if griefers are around, this will give you a chance to try and defend yourself. When I go into town to sell my pelts and such I'm also extra cautious. Plan an escape route or know which store you can hide in if someone starts coming after you. I've been using store more often to escape greifers. Last but not least, focus on meat and think of pelts and carcasses as icing on the cake. Sometimes if I don't feel like travelling far and the closest butcher has people around it I will stock up on meat and skin or pluck everything. This way even if you die you will retain most of your stuff to sell.

TheShift

The worst griefers are the level 100+ douchbags running around targeting much lower level players with explosive ammo and what not.

really? 

How small is your penis