2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
DirtCheap

Am I the only one that dislikes the hunting?

DirtCheap
1 hour ago, Jimbatron said:

Yes for sure I know what you mean. I wasted far too long around the Braithwaite Manor looking for rare birds in my first play-through - and whilst most will spawn there, the Upper Montana River, the north part of the Kamassa River and Little Creek River are all better depending on which type you need.

I'm actually about half way through drafting a 100% completion guide on this site, and there's a couple of other important things that can make the whole thing less painful. Consider these questions

1) Do you need whatever you're hunting urgently or can you deal with other tasks in between?

2) What different types of animals are you trying to get a perfect skin for at the same time?

Take for example the first question. If you want the Legend of the East Satchel, you will need, amongst other things, seven perfect deer skins. But do you want it right away? Because if you can wait a while, there is no point in hunting seven three star deer in a row. If you simply play the game, travel back between missions, and check out every deer you see, it is almost certain you will find seven three-star Deers by the end of chapter III without proactively looking for them.

Then consider the second question. If you are looking for multiple animals, quite often some locations will be the spawn point for multiple rare animals, and unless you are looking for it, you may miss the opportunity. One example is the Islands in Flat Iron lake. It's a great place to get an Owl (you'll need a feather for crafting a homing Tomahawk for the weapons expert challenges), and an Iguana (needed for the satchels).

The guide I'm writing will attempt to highlight a lot of these combos.

Granted one thing that's a real pain is the Moose. Be in Ambarino in the right spots, save and reload until one appears is the best I can offer.

1. Yes, in some of my playthroughs, I try do the things I didn't do in previous ones. I never crafted any satchels, and it's surprisingly straight-forward. It's very time-consuming, but it's not that hard, just grindy.

2. Many types. I try to hunt the more profitable ones, and have been scouring the swamps for this damn Parakeet. Sometimes I give up, but I'm real interested in finding them, so I have myself to blame then.

As for the moose, it seems it spawns near Cairn Lake. Unfortunately, you'll need alot of Herbivore Bait. And the only way to get more herbivore bait is either buy them off Fences in the Epilogue to craft more satchels. Obviously, I go for the latter as...you know. The satchels need alot of pelts, and as you can see, my problem lies there: getting Perfect pelts to get a satchel with more room for bait to attract a very elusive creature,

Jimbatron

^ Yes the parakeets are definitely a pain. I've only seen them once in around 240 hours of gameplay. And the mooses I have only come across when passing through that area to missions - never when looking for them.

There does at times appear to be an evil quality to it. For instance, it took ages to find a Woodpecker for the 2nd Hunting request, after I'd got it and was on the 3rd request it seemed like there was one sitting on every rock grinning back at me. It's probably psychological but at times you'd swear it was programmed to annoy you.

Dark Rosewood Varnish
1 hour ago, Jimbatron said:

^ Yes the parakeets are definitely a pain. I've only seen them once in around 240 hours of gameplay. And the mooses I have only come across when passing through that area to missions - never when looking for them.

There does at times appear to be an evil quality to it. For instance, it took ages to find a Woodpecker for the 2nd Hunting request, after I'd got it and was on the 3rd request it seemed like there was one sitting on every rock grinning back at me. It's probably psychological but at times you'd swear it was programmed to annoy you.

Yeah the woodpecker took me forever to find. I then discovered that spot along the Kamassa River just south of Brandywine Drop where they appear in abundance along with Robins, Orioles, Sparrows, Songbirds and pretty much every other small bird you have to send her. 

1 hour ago, DirtCheap said:

As for the moose, it seems it spawns near Cairn Lake. Unfortunately, you'll need alot of Herbivore Bait. And the only way to get more herbivore bait is either buy them off Fences in the Epilogue to craft more satchels. Obviously, I go for the latter as...you know. The satchels need alot of pelts, and as you can see, my problem lies there: getting Perfect pelts to get a satchel with more room for bait to attract a very elusive creature,

The regular western moose is pretty easy to find from my experience. They consistently spawn just north of the camp at Beaver Hollow along the Kamassa river bed, at barrow lagoon during the night if you drop herbivore bait and along the Dakota river bed (the part that runs past Diablo Ridge)

The Western Bull Moose however is extremely rare (especially a three star variation) and I've only ever came across it 3/4 times in the 4 months I've had the game. Funny enough I literally just got one not too long ago at the spawn point near Willards Rest. Other than this you'll find one swimming in the lake at Owanjila, by Lake Isobella when you first go back there and around the area where the witches cauldron is in the West Grizzlies - from my experience anyway.

My most frustrating experience with a western bull moose was when I stumbled upon a three star one by accident - before this I had been trying to get one for an eternity. I slowly galloped towards it but it saw me and got spooked, I figured I'd just follow where it went over the hill and snipe it from afar, easy. Then out of nowhere it came charging over the hill and crashed head on into me and my horse with such force that my horse was in critical condition and the moose ended up on the ground as well which meant its three star status was now one star so I just let it go as I never bother with one or two star pelts.  

ShayD

I can honestly say I spent more time hunting in this game than I did doing missions. I went hunting every morning in game to provide food for the camp and thought it was a great activity. I like the whole system of searching for 3* animals, getting that perfect shot. Some of my most satisfying moments were after looking for a 3* panther in the swamps or a 3* moose and securing a clean kill after an hour of tracking/searching.

If you hit wrong and damage the pelt one could argue you need to sharpen your marksman skills, or hunt on foot to prevent horse movement altering your shot. I did about 80% of my hunting on foot too, only calling my horse after the kill to load the pelt or carcass.

Lonely-Martin
On 2/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, Jimbatron said:

That evil quality you mention is always a real bark with GTA, lol. Many tines I go off looking for a car to steal and it's nowhere to be seen for what feels like forever, but once it's in my garage, they spawn everywhere.

B_E_N_1992

No

Kemasus

After completing the game and utilizing chapter two and three saves I put restrictions on myself that all wildlife killed must be pristine. Both identifying and hunting pristine birds in flight has become quite the challenge

O.Z
On 2/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, Jimbatron said:

Yep, Same here. Seen the parakeets once in 300 hours playtime. Managed to kill a few... never seen them since

JC Hammer

As mentioned earlier, don't even bother hunting for perfect pelts until you've crafted the Legendary Buck trinket. 

With it even "good" pelts will become "perfect" if you put a good headshot on the animal. This brings the perfect pelt chance closer to 50%

Perfect Pelts