4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Mistermilan07

What to buy / do next as a level 11

Mistermilan07

Hi

Haven’t played RDO a lot because of RDR2 story mode and GTAO, so I’m only level 11.

I currenly have the following : 18 gold bars, 335 $, bolt action rifle, varmint rifle (for hunting , I don’t like PVP) and less important: cattleman revolver and carbine.

I like playing stranger missions, story missions (is it possible I already completed 75%??  Haven’t played it that much…) and join a possy.

Last treasure hunt was nice and I made a good sum of cash while doing a mission called ‘kill each and every one of them’

What should I buy / do next?

Is buying 2 sawn off shotguns (to dualwield) any good? Or should I go for shotgun repeater?  I lack firepower when up close to an enemy.

I don’t get the ability card thing.  What should I get?  I avoid PVP but I don’t want to be a sitting duck eather…

Got any tips?

I’m also looking for a partner that plays from 20-22h western european time…

PS4 , psn miss_margot1  (it’s my daughters account)

rusbeckia
1 hour ago, Mistermilan07 said:

Hi

Haven’t played RDO a lot because of RDR2 story mode and GTAO, so I’m only level 11.

I currenly have the following : 18 gold bars, 335 $, bolt action rifle, varmint rifle (for hunting , I don’t like PVP) and less important: cattleman revolver and carbine.

I like playing stranger missions, story missions (is it possible I already completed 75%??  Haven’t played it that much…) and join a possy.

Last treasure hunt was nice and I made a good sum of cash while doing a mission called ‘kill each and every one of them’

What should I buy / do next?

Is buying 2 sawn off shotguns (to dualwield) any good? Or should I go for shotgun repeater?  I lack firepower when up close to an enemy.

I don’t get the ability card thing.  What should I get?  I avoid PVP but I don’t want to be a sitting duck eather…

Got any tips?

I’m also looking for a partner that plays from 20-22h western european time…

PS4 , psn miss_margot1  (it’s my daughters account)

You probably don‘t need to buy any weapons until you unlock the springfield (if you like it - i love it) or lancaster repeater for pvp. 

Otherwise I advice you to buy what makes you happy. Once you know the drill money will come raining in. 

Try to participate in as much events/missions as you can. If yoh want to rank up fast replay story missions and see that you take at least 20mins. 

If you lack firepower in closeup either get a sawn-off or practice headshotting.

ability cards: slow and steady, eye for an eye, strange medicine, cold blooded, the first one with health regeneration (i dunno the name) are pretty useful. Peak condition is also good. 

Edited by rusbeckia

ThaBirdCoot

First off all you should go & hunt. Bird feathers in Lemoyne yield plenty of cash(spoonbill, heron, owls at night ect. while you're at it kill Alligators small & big at sight. Easy Money. But you better get to it if you want to start investing any time in Online and have a little cash on hand because we might not know, these prices can be nerfed at any moment, maybe even next "update". If St.Denis is too crowded, avoid the butcher there and go to Rhodes.

You should opt for the off hand holster definetly, however dual sawn off's might not be so effective I recommend volcanic, schofield or even cattleman it is surprisingly powerful in some circumstances. 

Buy only ability cards that suit your playstyle, for now. Good ones being Never without one & Slow and steady to avoid the constant headshot threat by other players. Also winning streak to do more damage consecutively to a same target. Make sure that if you bought them, you still run them equipped to get the ability to upgrade to the next tier after reaching the required xp.

Lancaster is a must buy imo, and also Bolt action is not bad and affordable for a low ranked player. Springfield only unlocks after level 40. So yeah, makes no sense for you right now to even consider. Story missions are 8 in total so if you played a bit you most likely done close to all of them. Some require different honor levels to unlock however. Never go see Old man Jones and don't buy anything at your camp for Cripps, they are just gold/cash drains.

Do strangers with a posse, which hugely increases chance of success but be vary these are very glitched atm. and always keep an eye on awards/challenges that give very easy xp, and can be done in game modes, free roam and missions. Some easy to start off with are collecting herbs and selling and also getting dynamite and go "fishing" sorta... ;)

Van_Hellsing

I spend two gold bars on the off hand holster. Buy one saw-off shotgun. Next priority should be the pump action shotgun. With the shotguns you can fight off griefers easily. 

Ability cards:

The unblinking eye is useful for hunting. 

Focus fire will give you also a damage boost during dead eye. 

Peak condition gives a damage boost. 

Winning streak is useful with semi- and automatic pistols. 

Never without one will save your life many times. 

Slippery bastard to get away without damage. You must be level 50 to unlock this card. 

Mistermilan07

Thank you

Its this kind of advice I m looking for 👍

jstev4610

Im level 91 now and have been rolling the pump shotgun, bolt action, Varmint rifle and volcanic pistol since I started.  Added to that the sawed off shotgun in offhand holster, another dual wield volcanic, Lancaster, and Litchfield.  My load out is now the sawed off, one volcanic, pump shotgun and bolt action.  The bloom on the litchfield is terrible.  Lancaster is a mix of pistol speed and bolt power.  I put more people down on my horse with the pump than anything.  The varmint is necessary for hunting birds and small animals, great in pvp but it just feels like a dirty way to do it.  I mostly hunt and run missions, use never without one, don’t care about my deadeye but it’s slippery bastard, use the 75 percent stamina power buff, and rotate out a health regen and the horseback power buff.  Currently trying out winning streak in that third rotation.  I would upgrade those main cards before buying anything other than the pump shotgun.  If you’re leveling up fast pass on the split point ammo recipe and go straight for the express ammo unlock.

pay attention to the weapon affinity, makes a giant difference with the bolt action.  Work in resetting your buckle challenges for xp, quickest is selling herbs, second is probably dynamiting fish.  I think once you hit level 31? You’re pretty set on everything other than horses.  I wouldn’t spend any money on a horse until you can unlock any war horse for cash, but horses are a very preferential thing.

skip stowing pelts, they’re selling is glitched and you lose them from griefers.  Shoot as many birds as you can and sell their feathers.  The st denis north run is good, so are the holding ponds.  Boars and alligators give you a good variety of items in the satchel to sell, up to three meats and teeth.  Alligators are also an easy 15xp per.  Birds 10 and can get 100xp from a good size flock.

id posse up with you but I’m mountain time us.  Posses are the way to go, I spent almost all my time out of one and the griefing would be painful now if I wasn’t able to defend myself.

ps.  I absolutely loathe the cards we have in this game, I wish they would be pulled.

jstev4610

One more thing, max out your health stamina and dead eye.  I fished to max out my health, took a while.  Bought a special spinner with gold, and that was the only thing I used to fish ever.  Actually maybe the only thing I think I would rebuy again with gold other than weapon customization.

Van_Hellsing

How to counter a griefer :

The best defense is a good offense. 

Damage boosters stack up. Focus fire, peak condition and winning streak combined make short work of the wannabe. I renamed my shotgun 'the punisher' for obvious reasons. 

Edited by Van_Hellsing

jstev4610

f'ing griefers when you're just trying to hunt

Edited by jstev4610

hotrats773

If money is your desire, get a fishing pole and catch fish. You can store 10 of each type (more if you dynamite them). If some griefing scumbag decides to mess with you, you won't lose a thing.

Pelts are a waste of time. Shoot for meat only and let the critters rot. Chances are you have a horse who will run off at the slightest provocation (a light breeze, an incline, a fly buzzing around) and lose all you pelts.

If ranking up is top priority, what everyone above me said. :)

good luck.

IamCourtney

Definitely agree you should concentrate on satchel-stored stuff when hunting but there's no good reason not to put pelts and carcasses on your horse when you've got them. Some will be lost to disconnects and bad horse spawns and grief and whatnot but the ones that make it to the butcher (and sell properly) are more money than you'd have had otherwise. You lose nothing by carrying them when you've already taken the time to kill and skin.

ThaBirdCoot
2 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Definitely agree you should concentrate on satchel-stored stuff when hunting but there's no good reason not to put pelts and carcasses on your horse when you've got them. Some will be lost to disconnects and bad horse spawns and grief and whatnot but the ones that make it to the butcher (and sell properly) are more money than you'd have had otherwise. You lose nothing by carrying them when you've already taken the time to kill and skin.

Yep, in any crowded session defintely just scrap pelts, maybe carcasses still worth a go. But like you said between totally random disconnects, horse sometimes despawning ect. most of it ain't worth the time and effort to load up a full horse or even two.

Oldsport
12 hours ago, ThaBirdCoot said:

Yep, in any crowded session defintely just scrap pelts, maybe carcasses still worth a go. But like you said between totally random disconnects, horse sometimes despawning ect. most of it ain't worth the time and effort to load up a full horse or even two.

i takre it you arent rank 11 anymore lol

Edited by Oldsport

ThaBirdCoot
1 hour ago, Oldsport said:

i takre it you arent rank 11 anymore lol

No, just hit 110. But I don't really want to rank up anymore there is just nothing really to look forward to. I still need some gold though to unlock some color variants of the bison duster coat

DentureDynamite

You have a ways to go yet, but don't even bother with the Auto Shotgun. Nice looks; worthless shooting.

The other two shotguns are worth buying.

Don't bother with the Springfield Rifle, either. Not a complete waste, but the Bolt-Action and/or Carcano make it more redundant, IMO.

Good weapons (IMO): Schofield Revolver, Varmint Rifle, Pump-Action Shotgun, Repeating Shotgun, Bolt-Action Rifle, Carcano Rifle, Bow and Throwing Knives are also good for short-range, silent kills.

Edited by DentureDynamite

FreeMaxB585

I would save money till level 20's and get a good horse when there. def upgrade all the guns that you do use tho. I mainly use the bolt or lancaster and the pump shotty for up close. wouldnt spend $ on more expensive pistols until high enough level to duel wield

rusbeckia
13 hours ago, DentureDynamite said:

You have a ways to go yet, but don't even bother with the Auto Shotgun. Nice looks; worthless shooting.

The other two shotguns are worth buying.

Don't bother with the Springfield Rifle, either. Waste of money and weapon wheel space.

Good weapons (IMO): Schofield Revolver, Varmint Rifle, Pump-Action Shotgun, Repeating Shotgun, Bolt-Action Rifle, Carcano Rifle, Bow and Throwing Knives are also good for short-range, silent kills.

You certainly have no idea of the springfield rifle if you thhink it‘s a waste of money hahah 

But I won‘t complain, just means more noobs running around with bolt-action then. 

FreeMaxB585
16 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

You certainly have no idea of the springfield rifle if you thhink it‘s a waste of money hahah 

But I won‘t complain, just means more noobs running around with bolt-action then. 

def not a noob and I think sprinfield is terrible for online play. shoots way too slow. so if in situations where you dont get the first head shot or its up close you will lose vs a bolt or lancaster

rusbeckia
7 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

def not a noob and I think sprinfield is terrible for online play. shoots way too slow. so if in situations where you dont get the first head shot or its up close you will lose vs a bolt or lancaster

Vs. lancaster might be, that‘s better for pvp short to midrange. 

You gotta work on affinity then. Springfield has highest damage, range and accuracy in the game and faster reload then bolt action when your affinity is all the way up.

miahus
On 1/31/2019 at 10:09 PM, Van_Hellsing said:

How to counter a griefer :

The best defense is a good offense. 

Damage boosters stack up. Focus fire, peak condition and winning streak combined make short work of the wannabe. I renamed my shotgun 'the punisher' for obvious reasons. 

Never go into horseback pvp without fortifying your horse. You're lucky your horse didn't fall right away, or you'd have died too.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To OP: Save enough money to fully upgrade your cards as soon as you unlock them. Don't unlock them first then grind money to upgrade them.

Edited by miahus

Van_Hellsing
54 minutes ago, miahus said:

Never go into horseback pvp without fortifying your horse. You're lucky your horse didn't fall right away, or you'd have died too.

Thanks for the tip. Speed in keeping the momentum is of the essence. Losing your horse is losing the initiative. 

Shooting the horse of the griefer pins them down. 

D4PLK
2 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

You gotta work on affinity then. Springfield has highest damage, range and accuracy in the game and faster reload then bolt action when your affinity is all the way up.

How can you check weapon affinity? I had a browse around the menus last night and couldn't see anything? 

rusbeckia
25 minutes ago, D4PLK said:

How can you check weapon affinity? I had a browse around the menus last night and couldn't see anything? 

It should be displayed when you go to the gunshop and modify your weapons, Ithink. Has been a while since I saw this, I‘ll check later and report back, if you can‘t find it.

you can alsocheck your weapon wheel, there‘s a part of the bars greyed out. But you would need to see the stats for an unused weapon to compare it. You might find that somewhere in the web though

PS: there‘s also a dedicated thread on this topic here in the forum.

Edited by rusbeckia

FreeMaxB585
11 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

I still think whens its per shot its slower tho from one shot to the next

miahus
16 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

Springfield has ... faster reload then bolt action when your affinity is all the way up.

This is not true.

Ektope
On 2/3/2019 at 1:09 AM, FreeMaxB585 said:

Springfield is most powerful auto aim rifle against slow and steady III. It could be two to three express shots. Headshots won't matter.

Edited by Ektope

rusbeckia
5 hours ago, miahus said:

This is not true.

Well.. it says that in the stats for me.

Ektope
7 hours ago, miahus said:

This is not true.

1 hour ago, rusbeckia said:

Well.. it says that in the stats for me.

I can confirm that bolt action has more fire rate and reload than springfield.

But springfield has only more damage than bolt action.

That's it.

Affinity or no affinity.

I haven't used springfield that much, so I can't tell if it has more or equal range and accuracy as bolt action.

Edited by Ektope

Sir McTim

(Default) Stats comparison for the Springfield and Bolt-action Rifles... it really comes down to on how you play and what you think is the more important stat.

dsIUKroh.jpg

jazzbone

I have yet to have both to compare. I like 1 hit power and i like fast reload and fire rate.

My question is are the higher fire rates, reload speeds, and damage stats very much significant to make a real difference?
My choice would be the Bolt Action for faster over power. Slow loading can equal fast death.
However i would take the Springfield if the higher power of the Springfield is more noticeable than is the faster speed specs the Bolt Action has.
Actual in game performance of range and accuracy is not an issue here unless one suffers an accuracy/range bug.

I ask those questions because on paper specs do not always equal real game performance.