4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
RDR2Fan101

Red Dead Redemption 2 vs Mafia 3

RDR2Fan101

Both are amazing games and I got Mafia 3 on PS PLUS when it was free. The graphics were amazing so was the story and gameplay. Soundtrack is awesome as well.

Then Red dead 2 is also amazing too. It has the best graphics of the generation and loads of content and a great story. Thumbs up to those at rockstar. Gameplay can be fabalous too. I’m just so surprised what the attention to detail is.

But I think Mafia 3 might be better. Not because of the city, but those graphics in Mafia 3 are more realistic. Just look for yourself

Mafia 3

https://m.imgur.com/Cx8IjKb?r

Red Dead 2

red-dead-redemption-2-press-collection-7

I’m obviously trolling 🙄. Mafia 3 has a repetitive game play loop for missions(go to point B kill guys, take out underboss, go back to point A). Then the graphics can look terrible as well.

Mafia 3 5/10

Red Dead 2 9/10

American Venom

Red Dead Redemption 2 obviously.

Mafia III had potential to be a great game, but it failed miserably IMO. The cutscenes, dialogue, stealth and soundtrack are the only things that stand out to me. The New Orleans setting was interesting to some extent and I get those kinda of vibes everytime I go to Saint Denis, but beyond that it was just another overhyped "GTA killer" that quickly fell into the abyss.

People say GTA IV has repetitive missions, but try playing Mafia III for an hour or more. Literally the entire game is going to a district to take it over and doing the same thing over and over again without any or little variation compounded by the lack of cutscenes and memorable characters. The only thing you can do in between are races (which are kinda meh) and basic fetch quest type side missions. The story DLC they released was pretty average too with an entire section of the map that was added and barely utilised. Now I think of it while I have my issues with Guarma it's not as bad as the Stones Unturned DLC that felt like a half arsed Vietnam nostalgia trip.

Anyway Red Dead Redemption 2 is so much deeper and more immersive it isn't even funny. Mafia III should've stuck to the roots of the first couple of Mafia games that used their locations as backdrops, but were mostly linear type games (Not really a bad thing. That's what made them work). Mafia III just ended up feeling like a sad GTA clone in the 60s with a protagonist that felt more like The Punisher instead of a true gangster.

Zello

Mafia 3 did the right thing going open world but the missions were terrible and repetitive. Taking over districts got old fast. Graphics would at times look amazing but then also look very bad. Then at the end you dont even feel like you have a criminal empire at all. Lincoln didn't feel like a mobster but more like the father of spoiled children always asking him for stuff.

Then they decided to ignore interiors and sh*t and character customization. The open world felt dead with nothing to do or spend money on.

When they announced that game I was so hyped for it only to be let down in the end.

Edited by Zello

American Venom
7 minutes ago, Zello said:

Lincoln didn't feel like a mobster but more like the father of spoiled children always asking him for stuff.

lol.

I remember the sitdowns Lincoln had with Cassandra, Burke and Vito and it literally felt like a father sitting with his children at the dinner table and two of them would get upset when you decided give the other a district. It was stupid. A great example of an excellent idea on paper, but handled terribly in execution.

TheSantader25

Weird comparison. Mafia III is one of this generation's biggest fails.

Laker23

They nailed so much of Mafia 3 but f*cked up the most important aspect of a video game. 

First 2 or 3 missions are great, last 2 or 3 are fantastic. That huge pile of turd in the middle that makes up 90% of it was atrocious.

Zello
14 hours ago, American Venom said:

lol.

I remember the sitdowns Lincoln had with Cassandra, Burke and Vito and it literally felt like a father sitting with his children at the dinner table and two of them would get upset when you decided give the other a district. It was stupid. A great example of an excellent idea on paper, but handled terribly in execution.

It's a great idea if done right. I thought it'd be like the capo meetings in The Sopranos where they'd discuss their operation and stuff and talk about dealing with issues that are affecting the crew. Not just having Lincoln acting like Santa Claus giving away stuff and throwing a tantrum when they didn't get what they wanted.

Edited by Zello

RDR2Fan101
13 hours ago, American Venom said:

lol.

Yeah that’s true @Alqonquin Assassin, @MiamiVicecity or whatever the hell your name is nowadays. If only @Drunken Cowboy or one of the other PBM’s were still on the forum. Man I had good times with them.

Anyway Mafia 4 needs to be more like Mafia 2. I hope it’s in the 70’s in Las Vegas or something like that, but it might just be like Godfather 2 or something.

Pastor Richards

I went into Mafia III expecting incredibly little (I hated Mafia II and only barely remember Mafia I) but I really enjoyed it. I was almost taken aback by just how much I enjoyed it. My greatest complaint was the almost incomprehensible load times on my Xbox One and some really strange glitches (inaccessible pickups, missions I somehow passed despite being killed etc) 

Something about the story, the characters, the ambience and the music just really clicked with me.

I enjoyed RDR2 but the end of Arthur's story was just a grind, I couldn't stand Chapter 6.

confederatestatesgta

i liked mafia 3 for the most part. the story was great. there were some great characters. i liked the map. and when i play red dead in the bayou or saint denis i think of mafia 3. in fact we have angelo bronte too. so when you kill his goons you can pretend they are marcanos goons. but overall i thought mafia 3 was a decent game. although i do think that it got too repetitive with the districts. but i liked the gameplay and most everything else. i never experienced any of these glitches that people kept complaining about. although i saw a lot of them on youtube. i do hope they make another mafia. just dont make it repetitive. and fix the glitches and bugs before launch. of course i do think red dead redemption 2 is much better than mafia 3. but i dont think mafia 3 was as bad as everyone says.

éX-Driver

Mafia 3’s problem is they tried to make it too much like GTA, and it lost its soul in the process. They simply didn’t have the knowledge nor the manpower to make a game that could rival GTA 5. And they ultimately paid the price for it.

Journey_95

Mafia 3 was garbage and took a huge sh*t on the Mafia franchise just to appeal to more casual gamers with the forced open world focus. 90% of the missions were the same rehashed bs without any effort put into them. Even the often praised story is predictable and boring compared to Mafia 1+2 & the open world ended up being very lifeless and fake. Honestly one of the most disappointing games this generation, alongside MGSV and ME:A for me.

Not even a fair comparison, RDR2 is on another level entirely.

On 1/31/2019 at 7:55 PM, RDR2Fan101 said:

Yeah that’s true @Alqonquin Assassin, @MiamiVicecity or whatever the hell your name is nowadays. If only @Drunken Cowboy or one of the other PBM’s were still on the forum. Man I had good times with them.

Anyway Mafia 4 needs to be more like Mafia 2. I hope it’s in the 70’s in Las Vegas or something like that, but it might just be like Godfather 2 or something.

Mafia 4 won't happen for a long time. Mafia 3 underperformed and tainted the reputation of the series too much.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:53 AM, Pastor Richards said:

I went into Mafia III expecting incredibly little (I hated Mafia II and only barely remember Mafia I) but I really enjoyed it. I was almost taken aback by just how much I enjoyed it. My greatest complaint was the almost incomprehensible load times on my Xbox One and some really strange glitches (inaccessible pickups, missions I somehow passed despite being killed etc) 

Something about the story, the characters, the ambience and the music just really clicked with me.

I enjoyed RDR2 but the end of Arthur's story was just a grind, I couldn't stand Chapter 6.

I thought Mafia 3 was way more grindy, I just wanted to do quality story missions but instead they are the barely there and most of the games is taking over the same old districts in the same rehashed missions. It was ridiculous to see that in a game from 2016

Edited by Journey_95

O.Z
On 1/31/2019 at 4:48 AM, TheSantader25 said:

Weird comparison. Mafia III is one of this generation's biggest fails.

It’s textures and lighting are the worst I have ever seen in a video game... not to mention the horrible mirror reflection. The game is glitchy and buggy as hell, the only good thing about is the cut scenes and soundtrack. And them naked lady posters of course

Zello

The soundtrack was probably where the majority of the budget went.

Pastor Richards
On 2/16/2019 at 2:51 AM, Journey_95 said:

I thought Mafia 3 was way more grindy, I just wanted to do quality story missions but instead they are the barely there and most of the games is taking over the same old districts in the same rehashed missions. It was ridiculous to see that in a game from 2016

Refresh my memory, how many story line fishing missions were there in RDR2?

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2019 at 10:43 AM, Pastor Richards said:

Refresh my memory, how many story line fishing missions were there in RDR2?

If I'm not mistaken, only the one with Jack is necessary. There's one you can skip with Hosea and Dutch and 3 side missions with Kieran, Javier and Hamish. 

Edited by TheSantader25

ThatKyloRenGuy

Is this even a question? Red Dead Redemption 2 all the way! It blows Mafia III out of the water and then some in my book. RDR2 is my second favorite R* game if not my second favorite game ever, being only beaten by GTA IV/EFLC. Unlike Mafia III, RDR2 actually stayed true to its roots imo instead of deciding to cater more to the typical gaming lackeys (like the so called gamers who love the average futuristic COD, Battlefield’s latest release, Minecraft, Roblox, and other games like that which belong in the trash).

MostWantedMVP

Bloodytears1666
On 2/17/2019 at 2:33 AM, Zello said:

The soundtrack was probably where the majority of the budget went.

That was actually the most stupid move by developers. Instead of putting some lost gems in game, they filled it with random top 100 Rolling Stones magazine stuff. 

Zello

I think Mafia 3 was doomed from the start when they got Haden Blackman to be in charge of Hangar 13. They should have gone after someone with experience in open world games. No offense to Haden Blackman but those force unleashed games were pretty bad...

feckyerlife

Mafia 3 is a trash game with trash graphics

Jabalous

Mafia 3 feels to be not belonging to the franchise coming from the first two games. I'd be willing to replay a remastered version of Mafia 2 over touching Mafia 3. This tells enough about how it can be compared to Red Dead. (Spoiler: It cannot)  

Chamberman20

There is literally no comparison. Mafia III looks and plays worse than Watch Dogs.