4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RDR2Fan101

Red Dead 2 Rockstar’s most ambitious game since Gta San Andreas

JC Hammer
On 1/30/2019 at 8:07 AM, American Venom said:

Besides personally I didn't like the forced switching in GTA V during missions as it sucked me too much out of the action and it broke the flow. I don't like being in the midst of a shootout and being prompted to switch to another character.

To each his own, but GTAV's multi player only had a few missions where you played all 3 characters. The big pay off was completing missions as one of the characters individually. 

RDR2 missions were all a variation of meet bad guys, shoot bad guys. It got real repetitive, having a couple more perspectives would have helped

SonOfLiberty
4 hours ago, JC Hammer said:

To each his own, but GTAV's multi player only had a few missions where you played all 3 characters. The big pay off was completing missions as one of the characters individually. 

RDR2 missions were all a variation of meet bad guys, shoot bad guys. It got real repetitive, having a couple more perspectives would have helped

Can't really compare the mission structure of a Western to a game set in modern times though. I thought the missions in Red Dead Redemption 2 had a lot of variation given its theme. Isn't that what they do in Westerns? Meet and shoot bad guys? If anything there were a couple of times I thought the missions got a little bit too over the top and started diverging away from the classic rooting, tooting Western feel. Icarus and Friends for example and of course basically every mission on Guarma.

I mean even if it had the switching mechanic they would still be the same missions technically, but yeah I guess each to their own.

Syrens

I do need to agree with @American Venom regarding the switching mechanic in V.  Forcing me to do something in the middle of a gun fight really got on my nerves.  I like to connect with my character in these things, when I'm floating between 3 it just ruined the immersion in my opinion and reminded me I'm just coming along for the ride, I'm not actually there.

I know others who no doubt love the idea of being in 3 places at once and that's totally cool, it was untapped territory for R* but I personally feel if they simply gave us the choice it would have made things easier on everyone.

SonOfLiberty
7 minutes ago, Syrens said:

I like to connect with my character in these things, when I'm floating between 3 it just ruined the immersion in my opinion and reminded me I'm just coming along for the ride, I'm not actually there.

Couldn't have said it better and that's how it makes me feel too. I don't know it's hard to describe, but the switching makes me feel disembodied rather than feeling like I'm in the shoes of an individual.

Like a spirit jumping from body to body when I'm told to. It's just weird and I would rather not see it again in GTA VI or any future R* title.

Tonesta
11 hours ago, JC Hammer said:

The slightly strange thing - which is staring me in the face a little more on a second playthrough - is that the mission variety in RDR2 actually got a lot less the more the game progressed.

More than half the missions in Chapter 2 don't involve taking a shot at any bad guys at all.

There's a few missions where that's also true in Chapter 3 & Chapter 4 but by Chapter 6, I believe every mission descends into a massive gun battle barring 'The Bridge to Nowhere'.

So whilst I think "RDR2 missions were all a variation of meet bad guys, shoot bad guys" is a false statement.....it does start seeming that way when you get to the latter stages of the game. Rockstar could maybe have done with spreading out the lighter missions a little more - although I guess the descent into violence also matched the tone of the narrative.

DirtCheap

Indeed it's very ambitious and alot of effort went into it, but the leap between VC and SA is massive as SA had many features not seen in the GTA games before.

The leap between RDR and RDR2 is big, but not as big as the one between VC and SA.

Jutland

I thought there was lots of variety in the missions, personally. And even the missions where you did end up shooting people still had variety, they had different feels.

The gun battle up the snowy mountainside in American Venom feels very different from the gun battle in the cave in Murfee Country which in turn feels different from the Saint Denis bank heist battle and in turn that’s different from say a shoot-out in Valentine. 

Jimbatron

Easily their most ambitious game to date. The scale of it, and the depth of immersibility in the open world is unparalleled.

Then again, I'd argue this could be said about all their open world titles. Each has, I think, unarguably raised the bar in someway or another. GTA V takes a bit of a predictable bashing here - it's fair enough not to like it, but describing it as less ambitious than what came before lacks credibility IMHO. When you look at what it did - the size and scale of it, introducing three protagonists you could control, a bigger scale online, these were all bold moves. Granted, they may not have appealed to everyone, but they were definitely ambitious.

What I like most about RDR2 is it seems to have put to bed fears that R* would step away from single player more following GTAO's commercial success. Having done a couple of run throughs I think RDR2 may have knocked GTA IV of the top spot for my favourite story (although the latter retains my fondness as overall favourite game - due to certain multiplayer personal biases hinted by my signature) - and that's no mean feat. I would say it indicates R*'s ambition is to create great all round games, with both SP and MP being integral - although they still have more strength and practice in the former. With the latter they hit excellence occasionally but not as consistently.