3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Deadman2112

manhunt 3

Deadman2112

I've been a fan of just about all R* related content and Manhunt is definitely at the top of that list. Recently I pulled out my old console and played through both games again and I've found myself wondering if there would ever be a 3rd installment.

I've read rumors that it will happen and ones that say it will never happen...

Most of the site's that say it will not happen, do so based on the difficulties the company faced while trying to put out the first game, and even bigger hurdles with the 2nd installment due to the extremely controversial material found in the Manhunt franchise.

...yet controversial material is not anything the company has shied away from in the past.

So I was curious, does anyone know the status of this franchise?

Do you think we will ever see a 3rd?

Edited by Deadman2112

Femme Fatale

I'd love another sequel, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen due to the controversy, and the poor reception Manhunt 2 received.

Mister Pinkerton

I think that kind of "punk" era of Rockstar is over. Rockstar kind of grew bigger than those kinds of fringe, niche games like The Warriors and Manhunt. It's a pity as I consider that time a golden-era for Rockstar Games. RDR2 has kept the flame alive and I think there are experiences in RDR2 that can give that certain sense of controversy but in a much richer environment. 

The question is, what would a Manhunt game look like now? How would that game be made? Because I think playing Max Payne 3, although I enjoyed it for what it was, I think the style of game is probably dated. I'm not sure how Rockstar would modernise Manhunt. The violence is pretty gratuitous, and although I like videogame violence, I think there would have to be more of a developed narrative/story justify all the violence. I mean, I don't think it needs more story and narrative to be fun, just that I wouldn't think a violent for the sake of violence game would get through censors. I could be completely wrong though. 

American Venom

My idea for Manhunt 3 has always been setting it in modern day Mexico and centred around the Cartels. Though in saying that I really doubt it'll happen. Some of the gore in Red Dead Redemption 2 is quite visceral and raw as it is.

I can't see a game where we spend 90% of it brutally murdering people in the most heinous of ways going down too well especially into today's political climate. 

Hmmm nice bike
10 hours ago, Mister Pinkerton said:

The violence is pretty gratuitous, and although I like videogame violence, I think there would have to be more of a developed narrative/story justify all the violence. I mean, I don't think it needs more story and narrative to be fun, just that I wouldn't think a violent for the sake of violence game would get through censors.

If a Manhunt 3 were to actually happen, I'm sure that some kind of well-developed narrative would be what drives the game forward. The first game's story was a very simplistic one, although you can tell with the second game that they did try going for more of an actual developed story. But whether or not MH2's Fight Club-esqe story actually worked is another argument (but it was the first game by Rockstar to use multiple protagonists since GTA 1).

As much as I'd love to see Manhunt 3, I doubt it'll ever happen. I agree with Mister Pinkerton that I think the era of "punk" or experimental Rockstar that gave us games like Manhunt, Bully, The Warriors, and the entire 3D GTA era are over. While the company definitely has the money and resources to make another Manhunt happen, I feel like they'd rather just play it safe these days and either go back to a familiar franchise or develop something new without as much baggage attached to its name. GTA might have given them problems back in the day, but Manhunt 2 was really problematic. Even Manhunt 1 had people within Rockstar who were against the type of game that it was and didn't like it.

Also, the gameplay would have to be way improved beyond the usual "hide in the shadows, sneak up on this guy, rinse & repeat." Better stealth mechanics would help with this a lot, maybe something similar to Alien: Isolation where enemies never just take the same pre-determined paths, never appear in the same locations upon different playthroughs, and you actually have to find places to hide (not just run into the magic shadows where you become invisible to anyone standing further than 3 inches from you).

TheSantader25

Well Manhunt is probably the only R* franchise I just couldn't get into. Though it seems it has quite a fanbase on this forum. IMO R* better stick to creating open world games. That's what they do best. I wouldn't think a new linear game from R* can offer anything new that we haven't seen before. Specially since R* stay away from supernatural stuff. This means the gameplay wouldn't have much to offer. It would be a very restricted simple game for this day and age and wouldn't be appealing enough if you ask me. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Spider-Vice
3 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

but Manhunt 2 was really problematic. Even Manhunt 1 had people within Rockstar who were against the type of game that it was and didn't like it.

Manhunt had severe development problems too. They pulled a Benzies on basically all Rockstar Vienna employees while they worked on Manhunt 2, one day everyone just went to work and were told to go back by security. They were all laid-off.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/more-than-100-made-redundant-as-rockstar-vienna-closes

American Venom
4 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Well Manhunt is probably the only R* franchise I just couldn't get into. Though it seems it has quite a fanbase on this forum. IMO R* better stick to creating open world games. That's what they do best. I wouldn't think a new linear game from R* can offer anything new that we haven't seen before. Specially since R* stay away from supernatural stuff. This means the gameplay wouldn't have much to offer. It would be a very restricted simple game for this day and age and wouldn't be appealing enough if you ask me. 

I never got the chance to play Manhunt 2 (Cause of Australia banning everything violent at the time), but I did manage to get a copy of Manhunt on the original Xbox before it was pulled from the shelves in 2005 I believe it was. Anyway whilst I never finished it technically it was a pretty unique spin on a horror game at the time since most horror games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil etc were heavily focused on supernatural/fantasy type themes.

Manhunt was more grounded to reality which really just made it more messed up. Instead of fighting zombies, ghouls etc they were just regular people which made the psychological aspect of it way more intense. IMO R* have proven they can make good games beyond just open world. The Warriors wasn't open world either, but it was still really effective. If anything given their more linear approach seen in GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2 maybe it might play more to their strengths if that's the kind of game they want to make instead of trying to shoe horn it in an open world. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 brought a lot of improvement to melee combat and even some of the stealth mechanics, but I think it should go a step further like environment kills like The Punisher game (If anyone's played that).

TheSantader25
2 hours ago, American Venom said:

I never got the chance to play Manhunt 2 (Cause of Australia banning everything violent at the time), but I did manage to get a copy of Manhunt on the original Xbox before it was pulled from the shelves in 2005 I believe it was. Anyway whilst I never finished it technically it was a pretty unique spin on a horror game at the time since most horror games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil etc were heavily focused on supernatural/fantasy type themes.

Manhunt was more grounded to reality which really just made it more messed up. Instead of fighting zombies, ghouls etc they were just regular people which made the psychological aspect of it way more intense. IMO R* have proven they can make good games beyond just open world. The Warriors wasn't open world either, but it was still really effective. If anything given their more linear approach seen in GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2 maybe it might play more to their strengths if that's the kind of game they want to make instead of trying to shoe horn it in an open world. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 brought a lot of improvement to melee combat and even some of the stealth mechanics, but I think it should go a step further like environment kills like The Punisher game (If anyone's played that).

I could understand if anyone liked the game for the time. But I just don't think another game is really necessary. 

As for the warriors once again I believe it was brilliant for the time but I don't think a linear game with simple mechanics like shooting, hand to hand combat and stealth and without supernatural gameplay has anything appealing these days. Max Payne 3 proved that these games have reached their potential and there aren't new gameplay materials for this genre. That's why it didn't sell as you would expect. Not only that but I believe R* should really go on and start thinking about new IPs. GTA and RDR alone will get boring in the long run. 

They have brilliant talent in creating open world games and I imagine they could create amazing beautiful fantasy worlds with amazing exploration elements. It's a shame they don't do anything other than realistic games. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Deadman2112

Oops plz delete...

Edited by Deadman2112

AiraCobra

I remember back in later 2013 or early 2014 R* had a Manhunt 3 webpage but it was hidden you had to manaully type in the web address to find it, I think I even posted a thread about it on my old AiraCobra account so I just tried again today and now i'm getting the 404 Page doesn't exist error

OBwmZyr.gif