4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

apfelbaum

GTA SA in Unreal Engine 4 - (Project)

Do you think this project is worth it?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this project is worth it?

• Yes!
    • Noooo please stop it!

apfelbaum
2 hours ago, BlackScout said:

This is very impressive... Doing this all by yourself must've been a lot of work. I absolutely enjoy how everything has been redone*.

In most remakes, people overdo and reinvent the wheel making everything look wrong and nonsensical.

I have a few suggestions though...

• Imitating Grand Theft Auto V's radio wheel seems like a viable option, but it also feels out of place, at least the way it's implemented.  Perhaps a solution that is more akin to the style of GTA IV's or even the original game would be more appropriate.
  • From what I've seen in the first video, the names of the locations were being displayed in the middle-top of the screen. I take it that you have changed that... Since the speed dial/speedometer is gone.
  • Which takes me to the third suggestion: The speed dial is interesting but it doesn't feel like a GTA thing. However, since this is your project, I believe that it's up to you to decide whether to keep such a feature or not.
  • Some of the materials look wrong. On the first video, there is a building near the tunnel that goes to the Golden Gate bridge, that has an oddly reflective wall. It looks as if it's made of polished clay, I would probably reduce the reflection and keep more of a specular-only look, keeping reflections for rainy weather and specific surfaces such as glasses and obviously mirrors.

I also have a couple questions to ask:

1. If you plan to eventually release this, how will it go? I'm not sure how Rockstar would react to a precise remake/reimagine of their game. Considering that San Andreas being their IP (Intellectual Property) could potentially lead to a Cease & Desist letter, since they are capable of doing something similar I bet they won't. and legally they are the only ones allowed to do. Doesn't mean they would necessarily do that, and perhaps there are ways to avoid legal problems. (e.g: requiring the original game to be installed on the machine, like a pseudo-"DRM"?)
  2. What other additions do you have in mind for the future of this project? Are you willing to take it to the extremes of having the story mode work or will you just keep the free-roam part?
  3. How are you going to approach the challenge of getting the handling right, if you are willing to improve driving?

* Not everything, but it's a generally good project.

Very very good questions and suggestions.

To answer your questions about my/the style of for example the radiocycle I am not sure how it is done best: I think the GTA V version of the radio looks too modern too but the finicky mouse wheel search of San Andreas is what I definitely don't want. I'd like to have a good balance of nice feel and ease of use but a system that suits the time. The GPS and route calculation was already a modern technique at that time ( being introduced in the early 90ies i believe). currently nothing is cast in stone, most of the things I do are simply dummies that could be replaced in near future.

About your comment to the material: i also currently have 10 master materials (traslucent, masked, opaque, subsurfacescattering...) driving all 9000 Materials scattered around the world. They generate normalmaps, specularity, reflection based on the diffuse texture (my intention is too keep the game graphically as close as possible to the original with Unreals new shader technique and huge rendering capabilities like an amazing draw distance and great level streaming, and when it's finished grow the graphical illusion step by step) . I simply didnt have the time to adjust all those materials, but everything will be overhauled.

About vehicles and the speed dial: The Speed dial was also just more for debugging purposes because I had to monitor the engine (rpm, load, throttle, inertia) but it is already removed. The biggest problem right now for me regarding vehicles is that the out of the box system of UE4 is practically useless because of some serious bugs with PhysX. Therefore I used some others guys vehicle he programmed (His tutorials are awesome and his raycast vehicle already looks really good although it is not finished, sorry I have to mention him at this point https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2iKJPXiC7vFyBsynfd_XNg)

Based on his knowledge I was able to create a manouverable car although it needs a lot of improvements.

And also regarding the cars. I gave all vehicles the original Gear Ratios, EngineRPM, Torquecurves and amount of gears as their original counterparts, thus all cars have their original acceleration, speed, steer and weight properties and behave all different. One of just a few things about San Andreas I don't like is the extreme artificial and arcady driving style making the car of you choice almost redundant except for visual aspects.

The names of locations and vehicles are now displayed in the lower right corner to match the original and don't make it too obvious.

About the copyright I don't know, I'll try my best and if they don't want me to release the project I nonetheless grew with the project and learned a lot. Cause it is all free and based on others and my knowledge and should bring just joy to other people and me.

What shall be done in near future is multiplayer, it will be a bit like GTA online, you can play with your mates on a server, enter race competitions, accomplish coop missions ( I am not a mission designer, either the original Story line when their are enough people helping me or custom missions) and something like customs maps with different playmodes (even free for all, team deathmatch, capture the flag, real life....you name it) are welcome. Basicly I want as much as possible but it's a long way to the top.

MarkXT9000
2 hours ago, apfelbaum said:

Very very good questions and suggestions.

To answer your questions about my/the style of for example the radiocycle I am not sure how it is done best: I think the GTA V version of the radio looks too modern too but the finicky mouse wheel search of San Andreas is what I definitely don't want. I'd like to have a good balance of nice feel and ease of use but a system that suits the time. The GPS and route calculation was already a modern technique at that time ( being introduced in the early 90ies i believe). currently nothing is cast in stone, most of the things I do are simply dummies that could be replaced in near future.

About your comment to the material: i also currently have 10 master materials (traslucent, masked, opaque, subsurfacescattering...) driving all 9000 Materials scattered around the world. They generate normalmaps, specularity, reflection based on the diffuse texture (my intention is too keep the game graphically as close as possible to the original with Unreals new shader technique and huge rendering capabilities like an amazing draw distance and great level streaming, and when it's finished grow the graphical illusion step by step) . I simply didnt have the time to adjust all those materials, but everything will be overhauled.

About vehicles and the speed dial: The Speed dial was also just more for debugging purposes because I had to monitor the engine (rpm, load, throttle, inertia) but it is already removed. The biggest problem right now for me regarding vehicles is that the out of the box system of UE4 is practically useless because of some serious bugs with PhysX. Therefore I used some others guys vehicle he programmed (His tutorials are awesome and his raycast vehicle already looks really good although it is not finished, sorry I have to mention him at this point https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2iKJPXiC7vFyBsynfd_XNg)

Based on his knowledge I was able to create a manouverable car although it needs a lot of improvements.

And also regarding the cars. I gave all vehicles the original Gear Ratios, EngineRPM, Torquecurves and amount of gears as their original counterparts, thus all cars have their original acceleration, speed, steer and weight properties and behave all different. One of just a few things about San Andreas I don't like is the extreme artificial and arcady driving style making the car of you choice almost redundant except for visual aspects.

The names of locations and vehicles are now displayed in the lower right corner to match the original and don't make it too obvious.

About the copyright I don't know, I'll try my best and if they don't want me to release the project I nonetheless grew with the project and learned a lot. Cause it is all free and based on others and my knowledge and should bring just joy to other people and me.

What shall be done in near future is multiplayer, it will be a bit like GTA online, you can play with your mates on a server, enter race competitions, accomplish coop missions ( I am not a mission designer, either the original Story line when their are enough people helping me or custom missions) and something like customs maps with different playmodes (even free for all, team deathmatch, capture the flag, real life....you name it) are welcome. Basicly I want as much as possible but it's a long way to the top.

Yeah I don't get why do they need to take down long-created projects that are gonna be released for free, If I were a guy doing UE4 import of some game I chose and someone filed me this f*cking C&D letter, i'd rather not listen to these pricks. Instead I would keep developing, but without sending any updates for a long time, and announce to everyone that the DL link is gonna be send through DM'ing me. Atleast it's free to download, I think those motherf*ckers must be fun at most parties they get into

apfelbaum
16 hours ago, LaDiDa said:

I'm just amazed at how well that UI looks without it being out of place.

Do you intend to also fix some of the map bugs / glitches / missing textures / texture mapping / missing objects or do you make it read the original files so mods like that can be easily implemented by users later on? However all of these questions might be too early and can always be answered later as well.

Looking really good so far. BTW what is performance like and on what system do you run it (just out of curiousity)?

My SPecs are

Nvidia Gamerock 1070 GTX Premium Edition

Intel i5-7500 3.4Ghz Quadcore (still a bottleneck for the gpu)

16GB ddr4 ram

I run with all shaders (depth of field, ambient occlusion, 8 FXAA, Draw Distance and LOD distance far and 100% dynamic shadows + far dynamic shadows (across whole map ) at minimum 120 frames per seconds, when disabling that fancy post process stuff average 200fps. disabling the shadows (looks awful) even more. In my first video you can see the fps counter in the upper right corner.

Tiago_The_Gamer96

I would like to see the cars driving on automatic since they all are automatic by default

apfelbaum
5 hours ago, Tiago_The_Gamer96 said:

I would like to see the cars driving on automatic since they all are automatic by default

they are already automatic, sorry i didn't make it clear until now. 🙂

thalilmythos

I believe, needing to have the original game instalation in order to install this whenever it's released, should be the way to go, to avoid any trouble with rockstar.

What i'm mostly interested in knowing is about the Pedestrians AI,  i know you are trying to remake the game, but wouldn't the assets of UE make for a better system? even if it's based on the original?

Tiago_The_Gamer96

Is it possible with this engine to add animations from other games?

apfelbaum
22 hours ago, thalilmythos said:

I believe, needing to have the original game instalation in order to install this whenever it's released, should be the way to go, to avoid any trouble with rockstar.

What i'm mostly interested in knowing is about the Pedestrians AI,  i know you are trying to remake the game, but wouldn't the assets of UE make for a better system? even if it's based on the original?

as this shall be a better gta san andreas multiplayer it's obvious to use the original assets as this whole thing is completely free without any money earned or invested. also the game already delivers a complete set of animations for situations that are compatible with each other.

do i understand you correct?

5 hours ago, Tiago_The_Gamer96 said:

Is it possible with this engine to add animations from other games?

yes sure within a reason. you may need more refinement depending on the new skeleton of the animation from others games and it is obviously hard to have eg. a chicken animation on a human body. possible but hard to obtain 😄

DSLSucuk

Seit wann macht ein Deutscher endlich mal gute Mods :D

Nein spaß bei seite. Viel glück noch, bin gespannt.

Noch eine Frage...

Wird diese Mod, weil es eine andere Engine ist genau so viele FPS wegnehmen wie bei ENB's oder weniger?

Tiago_The_Gamer96
On 6/19/2019 at 6:41 AM, apfelbaum said:

as this shall be a better gta san andreas multiplayer it's obvious to use the original assets as this whole thing is completely free without any money earned or invested. also the game already delivers a complete set of animations for situations that are compatible with each other.

do i understand you correct?

yes sure within a reason. you may need more refinement depending on the new skeleton of the animation from others games and it is obviously hard to have eg. a chicken animation on a human body. possible but hard to obtain 😄

I just wish it was possible to add gta v dogs and cats in the game to improve the game immersion