4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
FreeMaxB585

How often should you take a bath?

FreeMaxB585

I am asking as far as help for hunting. I am doing my 2nd play through and want to hunt more, and get all the legend animals. I know that in eagle eye you can see how bad you smell. So I am just curious as to how much it really matters. If it is impossible to get good animals if you smell like sh*t. And how often you def need to take a bath if you want to be in the best position as possible

SonOfLiberty

I usually take a bath every couple of in game days. Never had Arthur to the point where people comment on his hygiene though.

FreeMaxB585
13 minutes ago, American Venom said:

I usually take a bath every couple of in game days. Never had Arthur to the point where people comment on his hygiene though.

If havent taken one in awhile is it impossible to get the legendary animals?

SonOfLiberty
Just now, FreeMaxB585 said:

If havent taken one in awhile is it impossible to get the legendary animals?

Not really sure.

I've only tracked the legendary Grizzly. I guess if you haven't taken one for a while it would have an effect in some way.

Gray-Hand

I have not noticed any difference in hunting and not taking a bath.  

In my first play through, I did most of legendary animal hunting during chapter 6, and I would have gone for at least a week without taking a bath.  No problems. 

silly_nate

I have a question that’s somewhat related to this and I don’t wanna make another thread so I’ll ask here 😋

Does changing clothes clean you as if you took a bath? Cuz I’ve only taken a bath maybe 6 times total and I’ve played a lot (3-5 weeks total) since release and I’ve never had anyone comment on my “high jean”. 

HeyThereFriend

Only one time on my current playthrough. Right after the fight in Valentine I went to get cleaned up as Dutch instructed.

Once I found out about changing you're clothes on your horse resets how dirty Arthur is I stopped bothering with bathing him.

I'm now in the beginning of Chapter 3 and I've got every satchel in the game and I've killed almost all legendary animals, got like two more in Lemoyne but haven't got to them yet and one not far from Annesburg and I don't go to that section of the map until Chapter 6 because story wise I don't feel it makes sense. I haven't got any of the legendary animals in New Austin either for obvious reasons.

So yeah as long as you change your clothes on your horse to get the dirt off, you never need a bath and can hunt everything.

SonOfLiberty
37 minutes ago, HeyThereFriend said:

Once I found out about changing you're clothes on your horse resets how dirty Arthur is I stopped bothering with bathing him.

I really just do it out of habit. Rent a room at a hotel and also take a bath. Rinse and repeat.😉

HeyThereFriend
24 minutes ago, American Venom said:

I really just do it out of habit. Rent a room at a hotel and also take a bath. Rinse and repeat.😉

For RP reasons I'd like to bring myself to do it more, however I've already put in so many hours on this playthrough not doing it, that at this point I'm like whatever, he does it off screen in my head. Just like everyone else in the gang bath and shave off screen.

O.Z

I don’t think it makes any difference at all regarding hunting legendary animals. I’m also very rearly taking a bath, only when John’s face gets too dirty... 

I didn’t know about the changing clothes on the horse trick, cheers for that

Gray-Hand

Basic rule of thumb for bathing is that if Mrs Grimshaw makes a remark, it’s probably time to have a wash.  

If Bill says something, it’s time to re-evaluate your whole life.

Jimbatron

I think bathing or not doesn’t have a massive impact on hunting, but applying clover scent lotion does in my experience. (Non legendary animals. For legendary none of it makes a scrap of difference - you just have to follow three scripted trails).

Edited by Jimbatron

Obsi

I think you'll find the eagle eye thing is showing just your human scent, not that you smell from needing a bath.  I don't think cleanliness matters to hunting.

Changing clothes on a horse might make your clothes look clean, but you'll still find NPCs will comment on you being covered in blood and stuff, so evidently it doesn't actually change your dirty state, just what you visually look like. Being in the rain, going into water deep enough that you (or your horse) swims also cleans you as well as having a bath.  I'm pretty sure that the game is really only tracking how dirty you are from blood and mud, rather than "haven't washed in a month so my clothes could get up and walk on their own" type unwashed funk.

Legendary animals are laughably easy to kill.  Far easier than the regular versions of them - especially since it seems to make no difference to the quality how you kill it, so you don't even need to get a perfect shot.

Kemasus

If Im in town to play poker, I grab a room and take a bath before heading to the saloon

Out in the wild, I jump in a lake and swim around until all the blood from skinning animals is gone

Other than this my Arthur is generally covered in trail dust

chronic lumbago
14 hours ago, American Venom said:

Not really sure.

I've only tracked the legendary Grizzly. I guess if you haven't taken one for a while it would have an effect in some way.

I killed like the half of them and I took a bath two times in my entire savegame.

Fugitive21

Does jumping in the lake count?  

Smokewood
16 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

I am asking as far as help for hunting. I am doing my 2nd play through and want to hunt more, and get all the legend animals. I know that in eagle eye you can see how bad you smell. So I am just curious as to how much it really matters. If it is impossible to get good animals if you smell like sh*t. And how often you def need to take a bath if you want to be in the best position as possible

I took 1 bath the entire game just to check it off the list.

If you swap outfits you also get clean.

HeyThereFriend
3 hours ago, Obsi said:

I think you'll find the eagle eye thing is showing just your human scent, not that you smell from needing a bath.  I don't think cleanliness matters to hunting.

Changing clothes on a horse might make your clothes look clean, but you'll still find NPCs will comment on you being covered in blood and stuff, so evidently it doesn't actually change your dirty state, just what you visually look like. Being in the rain, going into water deep enough that you (or your horse) swims also cleans you as well as having a bath.  I'm pretty sure that the game is really only tracking how dirty you are from blood and mud, rather than "haven't washed in a month so my clothes could get up and walk on their own" type unwashed funk.

Legendary animals are laughably easy to kill.  Far easier than the regular versions of them - especially since it seems to make no difference to the quality how you kill it, so you don't even need to get a perfect shot.

For me changing clothes does change your dirty state. Arthur is completely clean and I've never had an npc comment on my appearance unless I wasn't wearing fancy clothes in Saint Denis, then they say something along the lines like I don't belong, but that isn't because of my character being dirty, I've only had that comment in the Epilogue because any time before the Epilogue I do wear fancy clothes in Saint Denis.

Obsi
6 hours ago, HeyThereFriend said:

For me changing clothes does change your dirty state. Arthur is completely clean and I've never had an npc comment on my appearance unless I wasn't wearing fancy clothes in Saint Denis, then they say something along the lines like I don't belong, but that isn't because of my character being dirty, I've only had that comment in the Epilogue because any time before the Epilogue I do wear fancy clothes in Saint Denis.

It makes you visually clean, but I can tell you that several times I changed clothes to clean off blood then went into a town or rode past people who commented about me being covered in blood.   I even had 1 woman run away from me in a town I'd never done anything bad in and I had max good rep - so it wasn't that.  There was no blood on my horse and nothing visual on me - but I'd had blood on me before changing clothes - so that's the only reason they would have for commenting. 

Unless changing clothes by swapping the stores outfits on your horse doesn't count (that's what I'd done) and changing clothes other ways does..... or maybe it's a time based thing and I'd had people comment shortly after I'd changed and you'd had more time after changing.

HeyThereFriend
1 hour ago, Obsi said:

It makes you visually clean, but I can tell you that several times I changed clothes to clean off blood then went into a town or rode past people who commented about me being covered in blood.   I even had 1 woman run away from me in a town I'd never done anything bad in and I had max good rep - so it wasn't that.  There was no blood on my horse and nothing visual on me - but I'd had blood on me before changing clothes - so that's the only reason they would have for commenting. 

Unless changing clothes by swapping the stores outfits on your horse doesn't count (that's what I'd done) and changing clothes other ways does..... or maybe it's a time based thing and I'd had people comment shortly after I'd changed and you'd had more time after changing.

I never buy the outfits, I always make my own. Maybe it is a time based thing but I've never had anyone tell me about not being clean and as I said I only took a bath once this playthrough and I am well over 60 hours into this playthrough. From what I know the horse trick works, idk about changing your clothes at a wardrobe works the same way.

I usually always do the horse trick the moment I notice any dirt or blood on Arthur's face or clothes. So it could be a timed thing.

Cutter De Blanc

Nowadays I just take a bath to chit-chat with the hookers

Mac-

^^ Deluxe is the only way to go ;).

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:02 PM, Fugitive21 said:

Does jumping in the lake count?  

Yep you have too swim about for a while, not as much fun as the deluxe bath, especially when the hookers drop the soap.

RedDadRedemption

I always let the rain wash me off i dont take baths

UncleTacitus

Real men don't take baths until Mrs. Grimshaw tells 'em to!

Daniel Oprea
On 1/28/2019 at 11:24 PM, RedDadRedemption said:

I always let the rain wash me off i dont take baths

same here brother! xD

Cutter De Blanc
On 1/29/2019 at 3:09 AM, UncleTacitus said:

Real men don't take baths until Mrs. Grimshaw tells 'em to!

You know its bad when f*cking Bill Williamson tells you you need to clean up though

Jabalous

Every time you take a bath in real life so that you increase the immersion!