3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Smokewood

Scrap the camp system completely.

Smokewood

I don't know what was wrong with a small personal camp like we have in story mode that you access via the item wheel. 

We don't need a gang camp.. we're not on the run with 22 members including women and children (like in story mode).

Just allow us to set up small camps to cook/craft/eat/rest...

hotrats773
1 minute ago, Smokewood said:

I don't know what was wrong with a small personal camp like we have in story mode that you access via the item wheel. 

We don't need a gang camp.. we're not on the run with 22 members including women and children (like in story mode).

Just allow us to set up small camps to cook/craft/eat/rest...

I agree. I do like the camps. It's cool to be running with a posse and taking time to chill but with how it is now, I don't even bother.

2% of the time, it actually places the camp in an ideal location. 98% of the time, it places camp wherever the f*ck it wants. 

IamCourtney

Enh, no need to scrap it, I'm sure it'll be expanded/made useful as time goes on. Still no reason we shouldn't be able to at least make a campfire out in the wild like we can in singleplayer though.

coach_wargo

Every time I go to my camp I wonder, why would I be travelling with all that stuff? A table and chairs. A cart full of things I can't access. A wagon full of supplies, but all I get is beer and a splash of water for my face. A bed roll that I can't use. (I understand that the sleeping system from SP wouldn't work online, but at least let me lie down like in a GTA apartment.) And why does Cripps have camp spread out across half the damn prairie? Also, how does he move that wagon and cart without any horses? 

I did come across a large posse's camp and it looked pretty cool. It's a neat thing for role playing with a group of friends, but when I'm solo all I want is to be able to set up a fire to cook and craft when I'm out in the world. 

BulletFly

This sh*ty camp system should be optional at least.

anarquista_duval

Temporary camp is so useless ATM, R* could remove it and I wouldn't even notice that. Can't remember last time I saw Cripps!

R* should add properties ASAP,  I have the dream of owning a house on each state 😃 afraid of the price$ though...

DentureDynamite

Personally, I have zero interest in--let alone use for--a camp, property/house.

Not saying they shouldn't be in the game; just give players the choice of whether or not to use it/them.

And FFS stop charging us for this while it's in borked limbo.

Edited by DentureDynamite

SaturdayNight

How does it go from the awesome camp system in the single player to the sh*tty rent-a-camp-with-a-stranger atrocity we have now? Like, how does that happen?  

DentureDynamite

^^ Someone at Rockstar keeps having these "bright ideas" without giving a rodent's posterior to what most Rockstar devs players actually want.

Rockstar makes games for... who?

Clearly, not much thought has been put into a number of aspects of this game.

Granted, feedback was only asked for after initial release, but camps being arbitrarily moved around the map (and then charging players for it) without the player's request... *facepalms*

Sammionna

I just wish we had more uses for it, I've bought all the best upgrades but rarely spend time in the camp. Also, why isn't there an option to spawn in our camp every time we switch sessions?

Ryan5252
1 hour ago, coach_wargo said:

Also, how does he move that wagon and cart without any horses? 

Mind blown.

😳😳😳

ghostsoap01
4 minutes ago, Sammionna said:

I just wish we had more uses for it, I've bought all the best upgrades but rarely spend time in the camp. Also, why isn't there an option to spawn in our camp every time we switch sessions?

Yeah, at least that way we would avoid being spawn-killed. Its like spawning in our apartments, it seems to be a no-brainer, but yet its not there. There's all kinds of basic things missing from the game.

areyouchappin

I think camps will be fixed at some point but who knows when... Honestly, I like the camp idea but R* did it so terribly that now players don't even want to bother with it. So much frustration has come from these camps that an NPC that has nothing to with the issues is being hated for it.

Pressure Drop

Anyone ever loaded back into Freemode in your camp, and the game glitches into Max Payne- Bullet time? The world around you continues as normal, but your character can only move / run etc. in slow motion. It's hilarious.

Also, never paid to move my camp, because the game decides to move it wherever it likes for no reason. Broken lol.

DentureDynamite

^^ I'm happy to say I don't have the faintest notion, nor do I give a foot where my camp was, or is, or will be 60 seconds from now.

However, I do care that I'm still being charged for this gangrenous chunk of code that some derp at Rockstar thought was a good idea.

areyouchappin
1 minute ago, DentureDynamite said:

However, I do care that I'm still being charged for this gangrenous chunk of code that someone at Rockstar thought was a good idea.

I agree with this. If R* is going to leave a broken mechanic in the game and not even try to fix it at all, at least make sure it doesn't charge us for no fking reason.

Assblaster

I've no use for it at all. And if I never use it then I shouldn't have to pay for it.

SaturdayNight
3 hours ago, DentureDynamite said:

^^ Someone at Rockstar keeps having these "bright ideas" without giving a rodent's posterior to what most Rockstar devs players actually want.

Rockstar makes games for... who?

Clearly, not much thought has been put into a number of aspects of this game.

Granted, feedback was only asked for after initial release, but camps being arbitrarily moved around the map (and then charging players for it) without the player's request... *facepalms*

Its as if we have some magical bank account that cripps draws from as well. I hated how there was an acted tutorial about how hes going to handle our camp for us. 

Displeasure has never been so masterfully delivered.

DentureDynamite

Yeah, I much preferred how players arrive in GTA Online--you just show up (Lamar notwithstanding--should have been dropped lifeless in a ditch somewhere).

I'm not a fan of the "Welcome to the game, and do what you want, but you owe us." BS

Lonely-Martin

I'm not for getting rid of it, I want it fixed.

That said, I do want the option from story to set up a makeshift camp too. Seems odd that we, as cowboys/cowgirls, can't just pull up and make a small fire or pitch a small tent to cook or some shut-eye though.

ALifeOfMisery

In their current state camps are a useless, empty, soleless pastiche of the single player camp. 

It's as though R* completely misjudged why players enjoyed the camp in SP. We didn't enjoy having a camp just for the sake of having one, we enjoyed the camp in SP because it was alive and dynamic, it had character and was full of characters.

Now all I have is that creepy, harmonica playing f*ck who sits around waiting for me to buy him clothes between impromptu relocations.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

UncleTacitus

The SP camp was about interaction, so it worked. This one is about feeling dead and being located in the most inconvenient place possible and run by a greedy moron who looks like somebody at R* made sh**y Xerox copies of Uncle. Can't even bother to remember the guy's name, that's how often I see him.

Boozey St James
3 hours ago, UncleTacitus said:

The SP camp was about interaction, so it worked. This one is about feeling dead and being located in the most inconvenient place possible and run by a greedy moron who looks like somebody at R* made sh**y Xerox copies of Uncle. Can't even bother to remember the guy's name, that's how often I see him.

What reason does Cripps serve anyway? If he sees me getting attacked by another player, he should automatically open fire on the attacker. 

Do something you useless lug.

DarkFlame588

What really annoys me is that they impose a speed limit while anywhere near another players camp, and they spawn right along trails and the like and force you to trot through as if there were children at play about to run across chasing a hoop with a stick.

WildmouseX

I wouldn't scrap the camp system completely, there just needs to be functionality added to it.

For example R* could sell us extra character slots, characters that you are not currently using can wonder camp and do the chores - then when you're in camp you can have an option to switch to one of them.

They could also add NPC's that we can unlock through missions, they stay at camp and give you little side missions, akin to the personal requests in single player. 

Being able to use hides you gather to spruce up camp would be another thing that can be added.

Obsi
9 hours ago, DentureDynamite said:

^^ I'm happy to say I don't have the faintest notion, nor do I give a foot where my camp was, or is, or will be 60 seconds from now.

However, I do care that I'm still being charged for this gangrenous chunk of code that some derp at Rockstar thought was a good idea.

I know exactly where my camp is and will be.  In Cholla Springs.  The same place it has been since the day Online launched.

So not only do I have a camp I don't want, that serves no purpose at all, that I'm being charged for, that's located over the other side of the map than where I want to be - it never moves, so I don't even get the benefit of it occasionally being less out of the way than it was previously.

WildmouseX
1 minute ago, Obsi said:

I know exactly where my camp is and will be.  In Cholla Springs.  The same place it has been since the day Online launched.

So not only do I have a camp I don't want, that serves no purpose at all, that I'm being charged for, that's located over the other side of the map than where I want to be - it never moves, so I don't even get the benefit of it occasionally being less out of the way than it was previously.

Tap left on the d-pad, choose camp, small and then have it moved to the state you are currently in. 

It's not an ideal solution, but whenever I need to cook and make ammo in peace it makes things more convenient.

Obsi

Doesn't it cost to move it though?   I mean, I had thought that maybe if I moved it, it might get stuck again where it's more convenient, or might make it start moving around -- but that doesn't change the fact that the only reason I'd ever want to go there is to cook, which I can do in a few other places around anyway... so there's really not a lot of point.

I do love your ideas about having them be a place to change character slots, have quests and such.   There is so much potential for what they could do with them, I do hope they will become useful in time.

Happy Hunter

I want both.

MostlyPonies

Submitted feedback to Rockstar: It makes no sense why we have to move the camp around, whereas Arthur Morgan can rent a room in the same town everyday despite being in a notorious gang that lawmen and detectives are actively pursuing. Let us have permanent camps. Better yet, let us buy rooms to stay in like in the first Red Dead Redemption. I don't want to live in a camp for the next several years.

Edited by MostlyPonies