1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Oldsport

realistic and casual lobbies (no card abilities)

Oldsport

i think there should be multiple lobbies (friendly,free-aim,etc) one lobby i think there should be is lobbies for players who dont use cards. im not a bad player but with some ability cards, some people can literally become bullet sponges and eat headshots and thats what makes it less fun to me. i think your health should just correlate with your rank and stats. 

tonko

Totally agree. For a game that tends to push toward realistic aspect, it's freakin' hilarious when you shoot a high level guy 4 times in the head and he keeps coming cause he owns maxed out ability cards.  Also dead eye cards, pumping snake oil and cutting people in half through dead eye doesn't sound very realistic.

Edited by tonko

Oldsport
1 minute ago, tonko said:

Totally agree. For a game that tends to push toward realistic aspect, it's freakin' hilarious when you shoot a high level guy 4 times in the head and he keeps coming cause he owns maxed out ability cards.  Also dead eye cards, pumping snake oil and cutting people in half through dead eye doesn't sound very realistic.

the reason i made this topic was because i encountered a griefer while hunting. he killed me but i wasnt even mad until i came back for revenge and the dude takes like 3 head shots from a upgraded lancaster!! i thought that mustve been a fluke so i came back and headshotted him with a bolt action but he killed me a again. the whole time he stood in the middle of the street by the butcher like he was freaking thanos, i managed to kill him once and that was only by throwing dynamite at him. its not fun

tonko
2 minutes ago, Oldsport said:

the reason i made this topic was because i encountered a griefer while hunting. he killed me but i wasnt even mad until i came back for revenge and the dude takes like 3 head shots from a upgraded lancaster!! i thought that mustve been a fluke so i came back and headshotted him with a bolt action but he killed me a again. the whole time he stood in the middle of the street by the butcher like he was freaking thanos, i managed to kill him once and that was only by throwing dynamite at him. its not fun

i know what you're talking about. I experience it all the time in Showdown vs +100 lvl players. They are almost indestructible, not beacuse of their skill but beacuse of their maxed out cards. Feel sorry for those beginners who get spawnkilled when they encounter them in showdowns.

Edited by tonko

Bongsquirrel

Yeah f*ck them cards online would be much better without em they are the only thing i dont like about the game

A felt hat that stops lead bullets. It's hard for me to believe that the majority of OL players would want this kinda stuff.

Talisman_83

I understand your frustration, I was like this not too long ago.

However, you can either complain about it and hope Rockstar changes it, or you can beat them at their own game.

I'm now in the possession of 9 Tier 3 cards, a healthy bank balance and I more often than not come off best in a gunfight.

Focus on earning cash and XP and invest in these cards. The other guy will.

•—•
7 hours ago, 1898 said:

A felt hat that stops lead bullets. It's hard for me to believe that the majority of OL players would want this kinda stuff.

What is OL?

8 minutes ago, Talisman_83 said:

However, you can either complain about it and hope Rockstar changes it, or you can beat them at their own game.

I'm now in the possession of 9 Tier 3 cards, a healthy bank balance and I more often than not come off best in a gunfight.

I don't think they're gonna get removed. But could get tweaked around or new ones added. People will just have to invest themselves into this.

Assblaster

Hardcore realistic lobbies sound more fun to me. Probably won't happen though. We'll have to wait awhile to find out.

12 hours ago, Ektope said:

What is OL?

Online or multi-player

anarquista_duval
14 hours ago, Talisman_83 said:

It's totally unfair for someone who enjoys the game in other way like hunting, doing missions, etc just minding their own business in a public lobby and face someone with such abilities.

Most people don't care about PvP and care even less for those cards, R* should at least restrict their use to Showdowns, where players go specifically to PvP.

I'm ranking up and building my own abilities set because Showdowns are the only thing going on in the game right now but I'd prefer if R* just remove those as they make the game unrealistic and, more important, makes possible that the most skilled player (controller wise, fast reaction etc) will not be necessarily the best player in the game which is absurd to me.

In a long term where everybody have all cards maxed up battles will be stupid as it will take forever to kill someone or just lose so much time changing your cards setup it'll break the experience and thrill of a deathmatch.

Talisman_83
18 minutes ago, anarquista_duval said:

It's totally unfair for someone who enjoys the game in other way like hunting, doing missions, etc just minding their own business in a public lobby and face someone with such abilities.

Most people don't care about PvP and care even less for those cards, R* should at least restrict their use to Showdowns, where players go specifically to PvP.

I'm ranking up and building my own abilities set because Showdowns are the only thing going on in the game right now but I'd prefer if R* just remove those as they make the game unrealistic and, more important, makes possible that the most skilled player (controller wise, fast reaction etc) will not be necessarily the best player in the game which is absurd to me.

In a long term where everybody have all cards maxed up battles will be stupid as it will take forever to kill someone or just lose so much time changing your cards setup it'll break the experience and thrill of a deathmatch.

As a hunter myself, I totally agree that a brand new player, unequipped with these cards and going about hunting, is at a disadvantage against someone who does have them when they get into a fight.

However, I strongly disagree that these cards should be restricted to Showdowns. They add a much-needed sense of diversity and excitement to the game.

If you do engage in conflict, then you can adapt to counter the other player via use of cards. Otherwise, it's purely based on what guns you have and who is faster.

If we're going down that road, then I'd turn it back on you and say, well, new players may not have access to things like a fully upgraded varmint or bolt action. Are they at a disadvantage against a higher level that does?

I understand that not everyone is into PVP, but until Rockstar add private lobbies, then you need to accept you've decided to engage in a multiplayer environment where not everyone is like you and you're willingly taking the risk of being shot at, by players who have realised that these cards aren't going anywhere and will use them.

I'd also wager that if we were all just going about our business hunting, then it'd get a bit stale, but that's just me.

When you say that battles will take forever to kill someone - GOOD. Fights shouldn't be over in 2 seconds, where you're exchanging headshots over and over.

Cards make fights more interesting, varied.

Many of us now have a few loadouts of cards - one for PVP, PVE, etc. Plus, it doesn't take loads of time changing one card for another. I can do it in less than 10 seconds.

I'm sure you probably won't agree with much, or any, of what I've said, so we can always agree to disagree.

PS Hey - if you can get by without these cards and come off best in a gunfight vs a guy with maxed out cards, then I take my hat off to you, but I think you're eventually going to realise that you're fighting a losing battle in more ways than one.

Edited by Talisman_83

hotrats773

I wanted to hate these cards too but once I realized how easy they were to build up and how much protection they added, I changed my mind. I'm a chill bro (fishing, hunting, goofing around) but I can defend myself if attacked so i'm sort of liking them. OTOH, i would not mind lobbies that restricted them as an option. More variety never hurt anyone (except R*'s bottom line).

anarquista_duval
37 minutes ago, Talisman_83 said:

However, I strongly disagree that these cards should be restricted to Showdowns. They add a much-needed sense of diversity and excitement to the game. 

Brings "diversity" to an aspect of the game that have huge impact on other aspects. This games is not exclusively focused on PvP.

If you do engage in conflict, then you can adapt to counter the other player via use of cards. Otherwise, it's purely based on what guns you have and who is faster.

It's not that simple because there's a map knowledge, spawn points, take cover, etc. but yeah, that's my definition of a PvP game: everybody starts with the same "weapons" and the most skilled wins. What makes the difference should be the player. Fortnite is the most famous and most played PvP game in the world follows that golden rule. If you add complexity to it, it's not a PvP game anymore but a strategy one.

If we're going down that road, then I'd turn it back on you and say, well, new players may not have access to things like a fully upgraded varmint or bolt action. Are they at a disadvantage against a higher level that does?

Everybody has a Varmint or Bolt Action rifle for hunting but even so, doesn't matter, in some showdowns you don't even play with your own guns.

In GTA you have the Forced+Pickups weapons which resolve that issue beautifully. If you look at GTAO as an example, players with any rank in a death match with Forced+Pickups weapons have the exact same chance of winning.

You say it takes less than 10 seconds to change the loadout but if you face multiple players with multiple specific loadouts means you're changing your setup most of the time depending on who's in your way, which sounds really absurd and a waste of time IMO.

I think you're right we agree to disagree on this one 👍 mainly because the way each of us defines what a PvP game should be.

BulletFly

I hate this crap, there should be hardcore sessions with no magical tricks, it's like temporary cheating.

Unfair, unrealistic, expansive,...f*ck it!

Talisman_83
3 hours ago, anarquista_duval said:

Brings "diversity" to an aspect of the game that have huge impact on other aspects. This games is not exclusively focused on PvP.

I understand its not exclusively focused on PVP and I'm thankful for that, but you must admit that you're stepping into an environment with other players who are not your friends and may not take a liking to you being anywhere near them. Of course, there will always be idiots who will actively try and goad you into a fight.

In either scenario, you either need to obtain effective weapons and use them to their best of their abilities, or you can do that PLUS use ability cards for defensive and offensive purposes.

It's not that simple because there's a map knowledge, spawn points, take cover, etc. but yeah, that's my definition of a PvP game: everybody starts with the same "weapons" and the most skilled wins. What makes the difference should be the player. Fortnite is the most famous and most played PvP game in the world follows that golden rule. If you add complexity to it, it's not a PvP game anymore but a strategy one.

Have you played single player? How long have you been playing the game? In the grand scheme of things, we're all new players but I would hope that you'd know the main areas of the map by now. Spawn points? We're all still getting used to those. RDO in its current form is a mixture of PVP including strategic elements as well as solo adventures like hunting.

By a certain point, we'll all be equipped with roughly the same weapons, using the same player mechanics of diving, crouching etc. The range of player ability will begin to narrow as the playerbase becomes familiarised with the weapons and how to use cover to your advantage.

Add ability cards into the mix and it completely opens things up.

Everybody has a Varmint or Bolt Action rifle for hunting but even so, doesn't matter, in some showdowns you don't even play with your own guns.

In GTA you have the Forced+Pickups weapons which resolve that issue beautifully. If you look at GTAO as an example, players with any rank in a death match with Forced+Pickups weapons have the exact same chance of winning.

No they don't. Unless you purchased the Unlimited Edition at least, a brand new player does not have the varmint rifle.

I believe rank 8 is the requirement for that. The bolt action is rank 7.

Secondly, there's no real difference from GTA in Showdown modes in terms of this fact - you're forced to use the same weapons as everyone else.

It then comes down to who can use those weapons most effectively that wins.

At the moment, yes we're forced to use certain weapons in Showdown modes, but I believe Rockstar will allow us to set the weapons, just like GTA, in time.

Mind you, I rarely play Showdowns, but anyway.

You say it takes less than 10 seconds to change the loadout but if you face multiple players with multiple specific loadouts means you're changing your setup most of the time depending on who's in your way, which sounds really absurd and a waste of time IMO.

My advice? Focus on building one loadout that caters for most PVP scenarios, so you don't have to change.

Honestly, I very rarely change my loadout for PVP. If i'm in a battle with more than one player, I just run with what I've got.

If I'm losing badly, then I'll respawn until I'm far enough away to give me time to inspect their loadouts and then change mine accordingly.

If you do decide to invest in ability cards, then look into these, for starters:

Slow and Steady

Slippery Bastard

The Unblinking Eye

Eye for an Eye

Peak Condition

Never Without One

Winning Streak

Anyway, that's all I've got. Take care.

Edited by Talisman_83

anarquista_duval

16 hours ago, Talisman_83 said:

Have you played single player? How long have you been playing the game? In the grand scheme of things, we're all new players but I would hope that you'd know the main areas of the map by now. Spawn points? We're all still getting used to those. RDO in its current form is a mixture of PVP including strategic elements as well as solo adventures like hunting. 

Yeah, playing since day one as I pre-ordered it, normal edition. Completed SP (91.5%) one week before online came out.

I think this is where we view things differently. When I talk about PvP, having knowledge of the map, spawn points etc. I'm referring mainly to Showdowns (or DM in GTAO).

That's the true PvP to me as the players go there specifically to compete, fight each other. Can you define as PvP in free roam if one of the sides don't want to fight?

No they don't. Unless you purchased the Unlimited Edition at least, a brand new player does not have the varmint rifle. 

I believe rank 8 is the requirement for that. The bolt action is rank 7.

Those along with the bow and rod were my first priority since they're essential to hunt and get good pelts / carcasses, I believe everybody did the same.

On the other side, ability cards are only worth for PvP, unlock with much higher ranks and cost a lot more money.

My point is: let's say you start a new fresh account one year from now. You'll be trashed right away by everyone because you don't have the same perks and the time / effort will take to get them is HUGE despite you were a good player before, know how to play the game, know the map and all that. So, no matter your skills the perks make all the difference.

I think that hurts the game itself and will make hard to get new players to RDR2 online, unlike GTA that even in 2019 new players buy and play the game for the first time..

My advice? Focus on building one loadout that caters for most PVP scenarios, so you don't have to change.

Thanks, appreciate the tips! 👍😉

Labovasha

On 1/22/2019 at 7:12 AM, Oldsport said:

It is a trap. Do not even bother with griefers because it literally waste your resources. The point of the games design is to get you to use potions and special ammos in a forced PVP scenario. They are betting on you to lose your work and waste even more time and resources fighting other players. The simpletons enjoy being annoying anyways because there is really no reward shooting at other players in free roam. 

The perk cards are a good idea it's just that too many things are designed around player vs player. Rockstar needs to take notes from developers who don't sniff their own farts.

Not enough cards focus on passive abilities or support roles.

There needs to be abilities like giving health boost, stealth improvement, improve melee capabilities, improve horse charging, faster revives, guarantee down state of nearby teammates and slows bleedout times, stuff that is NOT strictly pvp centered but is compatible for it.

Lonely-Martin

I don't like them one bit. Certainly not how I saw this game going too.

Best answer to allow those that have no interest in this crap is simple... Invite only.

We make our own game of it rather than be herded into PvP against crap I/we just don't want to have our immersion broken by. Simple fix. Make it a real game of player choice.

Larcen

Lol.  My favorite part is how these Level 128 fools will call everybody else "garbage" and "the worst at the game" when they have all best PvP ability cards, maxed to the teeth.

Sammionna

I didn't think they'd be a problem at first, but now more and more people are unlocking them they're becoming a big issue. Some players in showdowns are almost unkillable, and this is coming from someone who is level 116. I doubt they'll ever be removed, but the sooner we get proximity blips and private sessions, the better. 

@Larcen Haha, exactly dude! "Your trash", "Git gud kid", "Nooob" - says the no life level 150 slob preying on new players with his maxed out ability cards! 

Edited by Sammionna

•—•
On 1/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, Talisman_83 said:

If you do decide to invest in ability cards, then look into these, for starters:

Slow and Steady

Slippery Bastard

The Unblinking Eye

Eye for an Eye

Peak Condition

Never Without One

Winning Streak

I would suggest:

Slow and Steady III

Eye For An Eye III

Never Without One III / Strange Medicine III

Unblinking Eye III

2 hours ago, Labovasha said:

The point of the games design is to get you to use potions and special ammos in a forced PVP scenario. They are betting on you to lose your work and waste even more time and resources fighting other players. 

I only agree for tonics. But special ammo, these could be used to get +5 XP special ammo kills. I tend to play without tonic spamming in showdown. When I watch twitch streams of high levels gathering herbs, indian tobacco for potent snake oil crafting at camp fires. And watching them buy snake oil in showdown lobby menu. I die a little. I get it. They have slightly better chance of winning most wanted. But they down like $30.00+ worth of tonics, in a single match. I'm glad I don't do that sh*t. I even shot someone with lancaster high velocity, 10 times in the chest. And they downed like two or three health tonics, lol. That's $4.00 to $6.00 worth gone, in a matter of seconds. Even I can win matches and score loads of kills without tonics. But these guys, they rely too much on tonics. If I countered them with slippery III, those tonics will have gone to waste. If I shoot them down with shotgun, dual wielding mausers or express explosive from lancaster. All those tonic effort is gone. And they tend to spend around 10+ minutes gathering herbs for potent snake oil. Or half an hour. But doing this several times when could've got 3 showdown matches done in the time.

2 hours ago, Labovasha said:

The perk cards are a good idea it's just that too many things are designed around player vs player. Rockstar needs to take notes from developers who don't sniff their own farts.

Not enough cards focus on passive abilities or support roles.

There needs to be abilities like giving health boost, stealth improvement, improve melee capabilities, improve horse charging, faster revives, guarantee down state of nearby teammates and slows bleedout times, stuff that is NOT strictly pvp centered but is compatible for it.

They are based around player versus environment / AI NPC enemies as well. The only card that might not be, is Never Without One III. Sure, NPC enemies don't shoot your hat off on purpose. I don't think they do at all. But if you found yourself in a situation where you don't have a hat. Like you crashed your horse and got back on. But didn't bother picking your hat back. Then you'll receive additional damage from NPC enemies. Even the ned kelly armour, the bucket doesn't count as hat. So that's additional damage if have the card on.

Reinforced health cores or bars are those health boost. Even cold blooded and strange medicine boosts or increases your HP, through regeneration. Some cards do improve melee damage like focus fire, necessity breeds, the short game, winning streak and peak condition. Even Without Single Purpose III gives damage reduction against bullets when you're unarmed or holding melee weapon.

1 hour ago, Sammionna said:

I didn't think they'd be a problem at first, but now more and more people are unlocking them they're becoming a big issue. Some players in showdowns are almost unkillable, and this is coming from someone who is level 116. I doubt they'll ever be removed, but the sooner we get proximity blips and private sessions, the better. 

These players just need to be countered differently. There's no build that makes them perfectly unkillable or invincible. There is always some kind of weakness. If someone has slow and steady III, then you're gonna need to smack them hard. Springfield with express rounds are two shots to chest and they drop dead. Or there's other ways like dynamite arrows, fire arrows, dual wielding at mid range, shotguns at close to mid range. dynamites. Express bullets. Or just keep shooting them in the chest. Bolt action works as well. But if you can use cover yourself, then you'd be safer and keep shooting them back. Or just smack them an express explosive, to let them know you're being serious. It's funny when someone spams health tonics with slow and steady III, and stays in one place out in open. Shooting down everyone who comes up to them. Then they would be forced to retreat and use covers more often. If someone had slippery III, just tackle them. It's piece of cake.

The guys that seem almost unkillable or pretty hard to beat in showdown. They usually try to mind their own business when in free roam setting. I see they mostly go to gather ammo, herbs or resources. Until some idiot comes along with the mentality where no one must be near them. Shoot first, so other people won't. Even I try to mind my own business, until someone shoot me for invading their 10 metres distance personal space. Evne if they had to get past me. And then complain about wanting invite only sessions.

Labovasha
7 hours ago, Ektope said:

I would suggest:

They are based around player versus environment / AI NPC enemies as well. The only card that might not be, is Never Without One III. Sure, NPC enemies don't shoot your hat off on purpose. I don't think they do at all. But if you found yourself in a situation where you don't have a hat. Like you crashed your horse and got back on. But didn't bother picking your hat back. Then you'll receive additional damage from NPC enemies. Even the ned kelly armour, the bucket doesn't count as hat. So that's additional damage if have the card on.

Reinforced health cores or bars are those health boost. Even cold blooded and strange medicine boosts or increases your HP, through regeneration. Some cards do improve melee damage like focus fire, necessity breeds, the short game, winning streak and peak condition. Even Without Single Purpose III gives damage reduction against bullets when you're unarmed or holding melee weapon.

I meant not enough are focused on passives and support roles. 

Of course there are health boost but there is no way to effectively give health and there is no stealth or aggro related stuff.. "Quite an Inspiration" does the team healing in theory but I never seen anyone use it so Im am not sure if that even works. I am not even sure how it works because if it does what A moment to recuperate does but does not deactivate when you take damage and heals anyone who has it then that's just stupid because it would render the other healing perk useless and I am assuming it's not like that.

I'm talking about traditional support mechanics you see in other games like being able to rapidly refill a teammates health bar with an item or prevent instant deaths or allow easier escapes, negate block damage or allow melee weapon blocking, free horse revives, less fall damage and quicker recovery, stealth perks that makes you harder to detect or be less likely to be targeted, immunity to sealth attacks and horse specific abilities like being able to win horse charges with mounted enemies. 

Damage perks are fine and it would be nice to be able to have more like archery builds but there should be more options and more options that would make it easier to help your teammate regardless of their load out. Right now rockstar is just assuming everyone is just going to be part of a posse doing group fights, they are not thinking about people who are forced to deal with teammates eating up all the team lives and going down in the open where they cannot be revived or drag themselves to a spot where they can be revived or the person that gets stabbed in the neck from behind while fishing.  I remember GTAO NPCs had counter animations for certain melee weapons if the player tried to stealth attack them that would be useful in RDO if it could work with the upgrade system being used. 

Oldsport

to the guy that said "just keep shooting them in the chest"...really? thats your advice? lol that headshot snap is real, if you go up against a player using ability cards and think they are going to let you repeatedly shoot them without headshotting you then you have another thing coming. its not like you can blindfire behind cover either

ZakeBudek

Freeroam should be PvE, maybe with an option to duel with someone if you opt in.

R* has added and will certainly add dozens more deathmatch/battle/team/solo game modes, so there is no reason, none whatsoever, for PvP freeroam, other than for griefers who want unsuspecting targets. But obviously R* wants to mess with you making money, and it conveniently makes a game with very little actual content feel like there is freeroam content happening. Other players are not content.

Enchilada

Pack it up boys, looks like the hardcore players are the minorities and the casuals have taken over. Rock$tar really messed this game up. 

Edited by Enchilada
We're more ghosts than people.

IamCourtney
4 minutes ago, ZakeBudek said:

Freeroam should be PvE, maybe with an option to duel with someone if you opt in.

Other players are not content.

Strongly disagree. If not for public free roam, I woulda quit GTAO years ago and never even picked up RDO. I do think there should be Freidnly/Invite-only sessions for others but for me, the presence of other players is definitely content.

Edited by IamCourtney

FreeMaxB585

yea 2 many people using all the upgraded dead eye cards is lame. mainly the one where if you headshot them they wont die

ThaBirdCoot
7 minutes ago, ZakeBudek said:

there is no reason, none whatsoever, for PvP freeroam, other than for griefers who want unsuspecting targets.

Can we stop with this nonsense for like a second ? Hearing this kinda reply makes it sound like at each and every moment somebody is out there to get ya, just sitting around a corner lurking with a sole objective: f*cking up your experience. This is very untrue, (sh*t sounding like D.Trump here) there is literally a dozen ways to avoid other players (or discourage them going after you) be it fast travel, session hoping, communicating with the potential "threats", displaying strenght in numbers ect. And even when confronted or just crossing paths with someone else it will not ultimately turn to a griefing sh*t show because one guy pulled the trigger. Cure the paranoia ffs.

FreeMaxB585
5 minutes ago, ThaBirdCoot said:

Can we stop with this nonsense for like a second ? Hearing this kinda reply makes it sound like at each and every moment somebody is out there to get ya, just sitting around a corner lurking with a sole objective: f*cking up your experience. This is very untrue, (sh*t sounding like D.Trump here) there is literally a dozen ways to avoid other players (or discourage them going after you) be it fast travel, session hoping, communicating with the potential "threats", displaying strenght in numbers ect. And even when confronted or just crossing paths with someone else it will not ultimately turn to a griefing sh*t show because one guy pulled the trigger. Cure the paranoia ffs.

lmao wtf ik right......I love free roam with my Posse. something diff opposed to just doing showdown series. Love all the different stranger missions, can be fun if people try to attack my carts or try to mess up missions. I like traveling and then out of nowhere 25 O'driscols pop out and try to kill me. I like the treasure maps. My posse and I will have plenty nights of just free roam only. However if I played alone and got unlucky with servers of griefers while I was trying to fish or something I  would get pissed, but to say there is no reason for it is moronic.

Must be one of those people who calls it griefing when you are doing a mission and someone messes it up, in that case its not. Because they are getting something out of it like xp and money. and if you dont like it get a little better and kill them

Also 90% of the people I come across are very cool. I have been in towns before with 10-12 people shopping in all different stores with nobody killing one another. I have been alone and passed by on the road a posse of 4 multiple times. 9/10 people arent pricks, pretty rare for me to get other pricks. Not sure if its the case but my posse has very high honor and I have noticed lately on every server we are on its all high honor posses 

Edited by FreeMaxB585