3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Max Falconpunch

Fishing is awful

Max Falconpunch

Let me start by saying that this is a phenomenal game. The graphics, the game play, the story, 99.99% of everything is fantastic. That being said, I only have one real gripe with the game: the mechanic for catching the legendary fish is truly, truly terrible. I'm sick of spending +10 minutes twirling my right thumbstick and moving my left stick down. Whose idea of fun is this? I spend all this time twirling, down, then twirling, then down again. Then, when I see it getting just a little bit closer, it just pulls the line right back out! If I try to stop it, the fish snaps the line! At least let me get creative and bypass this by chucking some dynamite into the spot where I know where the fish is!

I don't know how my controller is going to break first: wearing out the right thumbstick, or by me smashing it into the ground out of frustration.

To anybody at Rockstar that sees this: at least give me some kind of alternate control scheme for fishing or something. This is brutal.

CryptReaperDorian

I find that it's much better to use your palm to twirl the thumbstick rather than actually using your thumb. R* does have a major woody for control schemes that put a lot of strain on your controller. For instance, while you can change it in the options, mashing X to sprint is so damn antiquated that it really shouldn't be part of the default control scheme anymore. This isn't Mortal Kombat, for f*cks sake. . .

RedDadRedemption

Its even worse if you are left handed i hate the fishing in this game

O.Z

Agreed. Fishing is the worst part of the game for me, finally finished all the legendary fish last night, what a boredom it was, spamming the right analog stick like a f***ing lunatic... had to pause on some of the fish when reeling them in as it took ages and my fingers started to ache. The reward was a freaking joke as well

Max Falconpunch
7 hours ago, O.Z said:

The reward was a freaking joke as well

Yeah, I've pretty much conceded that I'm not going to catch all the legendary fish in this game. I caught one and hated it, caught a second one because I thought I was doing something wrong with the first, then I started looking online for help / cheap tricks that might help me power through it. No luck.

I haven't taken a hard pass on a game mechanic like this since Assassin's Creed 2 asked me to collect 100 feathers.

It's so bad that I registered on these forums just to vent my frustrations and the long shot that somebody at Rockstar actually sees this and does something about it.

RedDadRedemption
13 hours ago, O.Z said:

Agreed. Fishing is the worst part of the game for me, finally finished all the legendary fish last night, what a boredom it was, spamming the right analog stick like a f***ing lunatic... had to pause on some of the fish when reeling them in as it took ages and my fingers started to ache. The reward was a freaking joke as well

What was the reward?

Fluffy Sock

One the worst things in this masterpiece of game indeed.😏

OrionSR
On 1/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, CryptReaperDorian said:

I find that it's much better to use your palm to twirl the thumbstick rather than actually using your thumb.

Palm? Whatever works for you, but I agree that thumb twirling isn't effective. 

I have had a lot more success after I starting switching to a more comfortable reeling position once I've hooked the fish. I drop the right side of the controller down to my lap (closer to a 45 degree angle than 90) so I've got something to push against, grab the R-stick between my thumb and two fingers and twirl it much like a miniature reel. 

The strategy is effective enough that I can usually land a medium fish from full cast before it has a chance to fight a second time. It made a huge difference when catching legendary fish, and now I actually enjoy fishing.

Edited by OrionSR

Fluffy Sock

A sequence of buttons (ala dancing minigames from GTA) would be far better than this torture.

Edited by Fluffy Sock

O.Z
48 minutes ago, RedDadRedemption said:

What was the reward?

Fishing equipment lol

Max Falconpunch
4 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Fishing equipment lol

... and a kick in the junk.

ThroatSlasher2

Am I the only one who didn't have that hard a time catching those legendary fishes? They're much harder to reel in than the regular ones of course, but not to the point where I had to spend 15 minutes on one. After about a minute, those f*ckers were in my bag.

Interested to hear y'all thoughts.

Chrome Zentorno

This is Rockstar, the same people who made you complete a 20 minute marathon to 100% the game. I enjoy fishing in game, but that sounds like torture.

wangsparkinglot
On 1/23/2019 at 8:54 AM, ThroatSlasher2 said:

Am I the only one who didn't have that hard a time catching those legendary fishes? They're much harder to reel in than the regular ones of course, but not to the point where I had to spend 15 minutes on one. After about a minute, those f*ckers were in my bag.

Interested to hear y'all thoughts.

Yep same, just have to be patient and get the right lures etc!!

mde2

yeah its the one thing that i can genuinely say that i dislike about RDR2. not even the concept and execution of fishing itself just it's f*cking awful control scheme.

im not one to really complain that much about bad controls because its easy to adjust to and more often than not you can just reconfigure anyway but for f*ck sake anytime a game locks me into something that reminds me of the GTA TLAD arm-wrestling miningame which broke my first ever Xbox 360 controller I have a panic attack and this games fishing controls are very reminiscent of that. Rockstar really need to use literally anything else.

Mach1bud

Interestingly enough I love fishing in this game, don't really have a problem with the twirling. I do think they could have made some alternate control scheme for it though as I can see how it may be hard for some folks to do.

Gummy 

I'm glad I'm not the only one spending like 20 minutes just trying to pull that damn fish. I thought I did something wrong.

CryptReaperDorian
On 1/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, OrionSR said:

Palm? Whatever works for you, but I agree that thumb twirling isn't effective. 

I have had a lot more success after I starting switching to a more comfortable reeling position once I've hooked the fish. I drop the right side of the controller down to my lap (closer to a 45 degree angle than 90) so I've got something to push against, grab the R-stick between my thumb and two fingers and twirl it much like a miniature reel. 

The strategy is effective enough that I can usually land a medium fish from full cast before it has a chance to fight a second time. It made a huge difference when catching legendary fish, and now I actually enjoy fishing.

Well, being left-handed and having mild CTS, fishing with the normal method is virtually impossible for me. So far, the palm method works alright. Not great, but alright. I will try your method out, though. It sounds like that may actually work quite well.

If you're left-handed, lack dexterity in your hands, have CTS, or have any other hand injury/disability, you're pretty much screwed when it comes to fishing in Red Dead Redemption 2.

That Guy Mike

I found it a little difficult before adjusting a bit, but these would be my tips;

- there's a button (R1 iirc) that helps to minimize the fish pulling the line out too far, but you can't hold it for more than a couple seconds or the line snaps 

- more importantly, the key for me was using the left stick to pull the rod up; Reel a couple times, and then pull the rod up, which you should be able to do a few times before the fish starts to pull again.

Let it pull while cautiously using R1 and then repeat when they stopped.  Once I effectively got this down it seemed like I had them out in less than a minute.

It's been a while since I've been fishing, and I'll try when I'm on next to see if I still find this to be the case, but that's my two cents.

Edited by That Guy Mike

DrDetroit
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:46 AM, Max Falconpunch said:

Whose idea of fun is this? I spend all this time twirling, down, then twirling, then down again. Then, when I see it getting just a little bit closer, it just pulls the line right back out! If I try to stop it, the fish snaps the line! 

Kinda reminds me of real fishing! i.e; not fun.

Cutter De Blanc

You don't have to hold L2 while you reel the fish in. Helps with the awkward grip somewhat 

Jimbatron

Most important tip - push the left stick up and down repeatedly (don’t just hold down) as you use the right stick to reel in.

Be prepared to be amazed the difference it makes.

Edited by Jimbatron

Kemasus

Pump the left stick back and palm the right stick......Not that I didnt enjoy fishing, but its much easier doing it this way.

LFC_Buc

Catch it,I can’t even attract it. Spent an hour yesterday trying for the Bluegill. Got the Special Lake Lure,got the Fish logo stamped on the Map but not attracting it. Any tips plz?

Cutter De Blanc
13 hours ago, LFC_Buc said:

Catch it,I can’t even attract it. Spent an hour yesterday trying for the Bluegill. Got the Special Lake Lure,got the Fish logo stamped on the Map but not attracting it. Any tips plz?

I set up camp on the Peninsula just south of Clemens Cove (by the bluegill), then headed down to the water next to the campsite and caught it

Edited by Cutter De Blanc