2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Grotti Vigilante

POLL: Should John...

Should John Marston have gone after Micah Bell in the epilogue?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should John Marston have gone after Micah Bell in the epilogue?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Jimbatron

Going after Micah was as much about personal safety as revenge.

It feels extremely unlikely as he established his own gang he’d leave John alone at Beechers hope. You also have to factor in he had a thing for Abigail - conversations with Arthur and unwanted advances around camp make that clear.

What none of them were to know of course was that Micah’s days were numbered anyway. Possibly Dutch would have picked a moment to take him out, and if not we see that Ross was on his trail  anyway.

Rafae S

Yes.

This gang life is all he's known and after finding out Micah was one of the biggest contributors to the falling out of it, I couldn't live with myself knowing he's out there and alive. Especially if I know where he is as well. Whatever happens as a result of it, well... let it happen. But at least that wretched human being of a person is six feet deep into the ground.

Deep down I actually believe there was some sort of good in Dutch, the bad just got the best of him. Micah though was a complete piece of sh*t from birth. f*ck him. Emptying an entire round into his ugly face made everything that happened before that point worth it. The damn game even redeemed itself this time around.

Karlitoz-E

Arthur was just worried about John. I think he would be proud if he saw the result.

Edited by Karlitoz-E

Mac-

No John shouldn't have been on that mountain with Micah, Arthur gave John a good chance at family life a few year's earlier. He couldn't even get that right.

UndeadPotat0
On 1/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, TheSantader25 said:

No. Arthur says multiple times that vengeance is an idiot's game. John f*cked up all of Arthur's efforts. Dutch would kill Micah anyways. 

Would he have? Idk. I want to believe that.

Dark Rosewood Varnish

John Marstons actions after all that Arthur done for him were absolutely disgraceful. 

BoulderFaceplant

I don’t like how Rockstar is so selective with giving us agency over the choices Arthur and John make. We really should’ve had the option to leave Micah alone; frankly the postgame would’ve been more interesting if you had to do odd jobs to pay off the house and if you were essentially playing an alternate timeline where RDR1 never happens. 

That being said, I do think people are being a little harsh on John. Arthur never really flat-out told John to forget about things like revenge. Also keep in mind that John isn’t just thinking of himself, he feels he owes a debt to Arthur for saving his family. He feels like his family’s peaceful life is a sham unless he pays his part for it (and boy does he later, lol). It’s all a tragic case of looking at things from the wrong perspective. 

Edited by BoulderFaceplant

O.Z
3 hours ago, BoulderFaceplant said:

That being said, I do think people are being a little harsh on John.

Yep.

Before RDR2 was released, if you asked people - who is your favourite Rockstar protagonist of all time? 80% of the people would have said John Marston.

After RDR2 releases:  f**k John Marston, screw John, he is useless, he is a fool etc.

Funny 

Fact is John Marston > Arthur Morgan

Grotti Vigilante
1 hour ago, O.Z said:

Before RDR2 was released, if you asked people - who is your favourite Rockstar protagonist of all time? 80% of the people would have said John Marston.

After RDR2 releases:  f**k John Marston, screw John, he is useless, he is a fool etc.

Funny 

Quite. RDR2 only developed his character further if you ask me. 

1 hour ago, O.Z said:

Fact is John Marston > Arthur Morgan

Opinion. Not fact. It goes both ways.

DrDetroit

Oh yes, absolutely should have and glad he did.  There is a reckoning to be had, and you simply can't let a rat who destroyed what was left of your 'family' get off - a dirty, rotten, creep who was an informant and killed your mentor to boot!.  A man simply can't let that go.  I'd of ridden to Guarma to kill that bastard!  Aside from that, you don't let some other fool do your bidding either....especially an agent of the Feds, who also want you and your family dead as well.  

That's the way I see it.

Good day!

DrDetroit

Edited by DrDetroit

O.Z
4 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Quite. RDR2 only developed his character further if you ask me. 

Opinion. Not fact. It goes both ways.

Of course 

Grotti Vigilante
1 hour ago, O.Z said:

Of course 

Glad we could agree on something at least 😛 

Kemasus
On 1/20/2019 at 4:35 PM, Corndawg93 said:

Arthur told John to run and don't look back, killing Miceh breaks that promise 

Yeah, Arthur stepped up to help both John and Abigail a number of times. He wanted them to be free of all of this. In the end Arthur again helped John get away.

John just doesnt get it

I voted No

Nulla Lex Ink.

I'm kind of torn in two. I've been voting yes and no back and forth and honestly, I just have to say unsure. On the one hand, Arthur wanted John to "not look back," and he believed that vengeance was an idiot's game. On top of that, he also spent the last portion of the game fighting so that John and his family could get away from that life. However, as others have said, Micah was so nearby that it could also be seen as a personal safety thing. At the same time though, no way does Micah survive for much longer. If Dutch wasn't there to kill him, then Ross would have eventually done him in.

I personally wanted to kill Micah. But when we finally got to it wasn't as satisfactory as it could have been. At this point its been hours since you've seen him, he looks completely different (which to me somehow took away a bit, might sound silly but it did), and you're stuck killing him a certain way (dead eye with a pistol of some sort). It was pretty cool seeing Dutch once more, and that he got a bullet in, though.

I kind of wish there was another ending where Arthur could kill him. Dunno what the prerequisites for it could have been. Would have been neat though. In the end Arthur could have tossed him off the mountaintop or stabbed him, or heck, thrown him in the fires at the camp or beat him to death. Then the epilogue would have John building the ranch up. Not sure how he would have got the government after him in that scenario though, introducing a new antagonist just for John to kill and get the BOI on his trail would be extremely cheap. Even if it was someone like Joe or Cleet, who we at least knew of before and was acquainted with Micah, it would have been kind of a rushed and messy way to wrap things up.