3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Stupidis

Reporting griefers - is it worth it?

ALifeOfMisery

Personally, I don't think there is any use, at all, in reporting players for griefing.

R* don't define behaviour that they consider griefing, which makes it difficult to believe that they can or even would take action against those reported.

I don't consider anything I've been on the recieving end of, so far, as griefing. Yeah, I've been killed while fishing, while trying to sell pelts, while stuck in herb picking and skinning animations etc. but I've put each instance down to encountering someone who's being a c*nt rather than feeling that I'd been griefed.

Let's face it, online anonymity allows people to be as much of a b*stard as they feel like, with, in a lot of cases, no repercussions. A situation which isn't limited to online gaming.

Smokewood
1 hour ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

no not banned but put them on a server with all the other losers who waste their time doing that

The entire game is a waste of time in the grand scheme of things... why are they losers and you aren't? 

3 hours ago, Stupidis said:

I already have. I also have provided you with two links describing "griefing", proving your definition is wrong. 

Two links to made up definitions....

Obviously those definitions are not complete.

BTW, I asked you to define NORMAL.

34 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Personally, I don't think there is any use, at all, in reporting players for griefing.

R* don't define behaviour that they consider griefing, which makes it difficult to believe that they can or even would take action against those reported.

I don't consider anything I've been on the recieving end of, so far, as griefing. Yeah, I've been killed while fishing, while trying to sell pelts, while stuck in herb picking and skinning animations etc. but I've put each instance down to encountering someone who's being a c*nt rather than feeling that I'd been griefed.

Let's face it, online anonymity allows people to be as much of a b*stard as they feel like, with, in a lot of cases, no repercussions. A situation which isn't limited to online gaming.

so you never add people to your friends list after a good back and forth?

Man, I have met some really great guys and girls just adding people after we kill each other...

Most of the time, they are people just like me... enjoying a game.

Sometimes they are clueless asswipes, and they get deleted.

Edited by Smokewood

Stupidis
13 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

BTW, I asked you to define NORMAL.

And as I already told you, I've already told you that. Just go back and read what I wrote. :)

Smokewood

4 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

And as I already told you, I've already told you that. Just go back and read what I wrote. :)

That's what I thought...

The rules says behavior that interferes with NORMAL game play.

Shooting you while fishing IS normal game play. 

ALifeOfMisery
35 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

so you never add people to your friends list after a good back and forth?

Nah. Freeroam PvP is an occasionally unavoidable aspect of the game for me. Currently at least. I either kill out of necessity or let the other player get their fix, parley and move on in the most part.

I do add random players I've done missions with, either because they were competent or funny.

I've nothing against freeroam PvPers, different strokes for different folks and all that. I just don't see the fun in shooting the guy who's skinning a rabbit and would, perhaps incorrectly, assume that, as with many things in life, it's probably more fun if it's consensual for all involved.

Smokewood
1 minute ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Nah. Freeroam PvP is an occasionally unavoidable aspect of the game for me. Currently at least. I either kill out of necessity or let the other player get their fix, parley and move on in the most part.

I do add random players I've done missions with, either because they were competent or funny.

I've nothing against freeroam PvPers, different strokes for different folks and all that. I just don't see the fun in shooting the guy who's skinning a rabbit and would, perhaps incorrectly, assume that, as with many things in life, it's probably more fun if it's consensual for all involved.

I get it... but I have met a lot of cool people in GTAO that I have added and we play lots of different games together.

Just because someone has killed you in freeroam doesn't mean that's all they do....

Stupidis
39 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

That's what I thought...

The rules says behavior that interferes with NORMAL game play.

Shooting you while fishing IS normal game play. 

Nope. It is not. Normal in griefer world perhaps, but not in ordinary decent players world.

ALifeOfMisery
5 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

I get it... but I have met a lot of cool people in GTAO that I have added and we play lots of different games together.

Just because someone has killed you in freeroam doesn't mean that's all they do....

I get where you're coming from, some of the guys on my PSN list are absolute monsters when it comes to freeroam PvP in GTAO, really cool people that I ended up doing Heists or contact missions etc. with, so I do get that doesn't mean PvP is all they do.

Incidentally almost all of them worked by a code of never messing with another players money making, they actually wanted to test themselves against others who wanted to fight, because Lazer Vs Tug is meaningless.

I try not to judge, I'm not a judgemental guy, what I find fun may or may not be completely different from what you, or anyone else, finds fun, and that's all good. But, I probably don't have too much in common, when it comes to mutually enjoyable gameplay opportunities, with the player who finds killing another player while they're fishing fun, because I think it's kind of a d*ck move.

Smokewood
6 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

Nope. It is not. Normal in griefer world perhaps, but not in ordinary decent players world.

See, you don't get it or you simply refuse to accept what "free for all" pvp means.

The game is designed so that you can shot anyone at any time. 

If you were meant to be unattackable while fishing, then you would be unattackable.

ALifeOfMisery
7 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

The  game is designed so  that you can shot anyone at any time. If you were meant to be unattackable while fishing, then you would be unattackable.

Sorry, I had to

sirG2t4.gif

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Smokewood
9 minutes ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Sorry, I had to

sirG2t4.gif

Except they did think about whether or not they should and made a decision...

I also want PvE lobbies, of course...

Stupidis
51 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

See, you don't get it or you simply refuse to accept what "free for all" pvp means.

The game is designed so that you can shot anyone at any time. 

If you were meant to be unattackable while fishing, then you would be unattackable.

Still nope. Then there wouldnt be the option to report other players for "disruptive behavior". So you're still wrong and obviously dont get it. :)

Smokewood
3 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

Still nope. Then there wouldnt be the option to report other players for "disruptive behavior". So you're still wrong and obviously dont get it. :)

Disruptive behavior refers to glitches and hacks, not open PvP.

Anyway - good luck with that reporting.

Go ahead and report me for killing you while fishing, just go ahead and get it out of the way.....

Stupidis
2 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Disruptive behavior refers to glitches and hacks, not open PvP.

Anyway - good luck with that reporting.

Go ahead and report me for killing you while fishing, just go ahead and get it out of the way.....

Wrong again. Those most likely goes under cheating. Especially the latter.

Smokewood
Just now, Stupidis said:

Wrong again. Those most likely goes under cheating. Especially the latter.

If I'm wrong then surely your reports are making a difference and people are getting banned, right?

Stupidis
Just now, Smokewood said:

If I'm wrong then surely your reports are making a difference and people are getting banned, right?

Well, that was exactly why I started this thread if you actually read the op. In GTA you also can report players and I still wonder if it makes any difference. Since this game still is in beta it's interesting if they have any resources monitoring the reports.  But sure, go ahead and whine about you being called a griefer for griefing other players. But do it in another thread. Mmkay?

Smokewood
5 minutes ago, Stupidis said:

Well, that was exactly why I started this thread if you actually read the op. In GTA you also can report players and I still wonder if it makes any difference. Since this game still is in beta it's interesting if they have any resources monitoring the reports.  But sure, go ahead and whine about you being called a griefer for griefing other players. But do it in another thread. Mmkay?

Except i am yet to see an example of actual griefing.

Being "killed for no reason" holds no water at all.

So my answer is YES, yes it does make a difference when you report someone for griefing, when they actually are griefing.

Faceplant8
13 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Except i am yet to see an example of actual griefing.

Being "killed for no reason" holds no water at all.

So my answer is YES, yes it does make a difference when you report someone for griefing, when they actually are griefing.

This is a quote straight from R* about upcoming updates to try to combat "griefing":

• Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.
  • Parley Changes: We’re making the Parley system easier to trigger so that you can avoid aggressive players more quickly. In addition, it will be easier to trigger Feuds, Posse Feuds and Leader Feuds to take on attacking players in structured competition. 
  • Proximity-Based Player Blips: Player location blips will soon appear only over short distances, reducing the range at which you are visible to others, decreasing the likelihood of being targeted by another player across large areas. Down the line, we’re also looking to introduce the ability to identify players who grief and kill indiscriminately with a progressively darkening blip that becomes more visible and at a longer range, so everyone in a session can identify potentially dangerous opponents at a glance and from a safe distance.

Why would they be putting in measures to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Smokewood
13 minutes ago, Faceplant8 said:

This is a quote straight from R* about upcoming updates to try to combat "griefing":

• Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.
  • Parley Changes: We’re making the Parley system easier to trigger so that you can avoid aggressive players more quickly. In addition, it will be easier to trigger Feuds, Posse Feuds and Leader Feuds to take on attacking players in structured competition. 
  • Proximity-Based Player Blips: Player location blips will soon appear only over short distances, reducing the range at which you are visible to others, decreasing the likelihood of being targeted by another player across large areas. Down the line, we’re also looking to introduce the ability to identify players who grief and kill indiscriminately with a progressively darkening blip that becomes more visible and at a longer range, so everyone in a session can identify potentially dangerous opponents at a glance and from a safe distance.

Why would they be putting in measures to fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Where is it defined what griefing is, though?

That's the issue.....

Faceplant8
3 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

That's the issue.....

I think you're the only one that doesn't understand.

Ektope

I lost brain cells, reading this thread.

*Lola
1 hour ago, Smokewood said:

That's the issue.....

griefing

1. Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.

2. In online gaming where one repeatedly killing the same individual or individuals over and over again, or camping their corpse to prevent them from retrieving it, or otherwise performing actions in a game to prevent the player from enjoying the game.

3. In online gaming, someone who takes pleasure in creating grief for an opponent via various "cheap" tactics.

Griefing is the act of irritating and angering people in video games through the use of destruction, construction, or social engineering.

dis·rup·tive

/disˈrəptiv/

adjective

adjective: disruptive

causing or tending to cause disruption.

"the hours of work are disruptive to home life"

synonyms:troublemaking, troublesome, unruly, rowdy, disorderly, undisciplined, attention-seeking, riotous, wild, turbulent

Rockstar's report player feature says for "Disruptive Behavior":

Disruptive behavior includes any action that prevents others from playing the game in a normal manner including griefing.

Edited by *Lola

IamCourtney

Everyone decides for themselves what it means to grief, or be griefed. Everyone is simultaneously in the right and in the wrong to varying proportions at any given moment. As far as I'm concerned, if nobody is modding/cheating/glitching, everything else is Fair Play.

ThaBirdCoot
10 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Nailed it.

Stupidis
8 hours ago, Faceplant8 said:

I think you're the only one that doesn't understand.

I'm starting to believe he's just trolling. It can't be that hard to comprehend for someone that even has english as a first language. :lol:

butchcassidy-rdr

Too many players run solo. You have to realize in this game or even GTAO, playing in groups & communicating is very important. United you are strong, divided (solo) you gonna get your a** whooped, especially when RDO EWO mechanics suck. I have a small community going of mature players who like doing hunting/missions & fight the griefers. If anyone wants to be part of it feel free to PM me or message me on my psn: butchcassidy-rdr

Smokewood
13 hours ago, *Lola said:

Disruptive behavior includes any action that prevents others from playing the game in a normal manner including griefing.

It's normal in this game to kill you when i see you regardless of what you are doing.

DarksunDaFirst
On 1/20/2019 at 1:59 PM, jstev4610 said:

Also yesterday, I had a guy just up and shoot me while skinning something.  I didn’t die so when the animation finished I put him down then repeatedly did so for maybe 10 minutes, at least 8 kills since he didn’t parley.  Dude gets on the mic crying about being bullied, people start to rush me.  Was I griefing?

Were you griefing?

Depends, were they trying to run away after being killed for the 4th...5th...6th time?

It's one thing to defend yourself and claim your ground, it's another to be vengeful.

I akin it to the Castle Doctrine.  I'll shoot you in my house if you break-in, but if you attempt retreat I'll leave you alone (and lower my sights when you're out of range).

BUT THE BENZ

that f*ckface "TOSKO99" blew up my wagon, and I couldn't "parley" with that bitch since I was on stranger mission. R* should make "parley" available during missions aswell so the idiots kill you 2 or 3 times and then piss off again.

IamCourtney
23 minutes ago, DarksunDaFirst said:

Were you griefing?

Depends, were they trying to run away after being killed for the 4th...5th...6th time?

It's one thing to defend yourself and claim your ground, it's another to be vengeful.

I akin it to the Castle Doctrine.  I'll shoot you in my house if you break-in, but if you attempt retreat I'll leave you alone (and lower my sights when you're out of range).

I subscribe to the Hassle Doctrine: if you interfere with my activities I will farm as much XP off of you as I can. And sometimes vengeance is it's own reward :)

Edited by IamCourtney