4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
FreeMaxB585

Didnt realize until 2nd run how terrible the economy is

FreeMaxB585

Didnt even realize this until my 2nd play through. By the time you are a couple hours into chapter 4 (st denis) you have a crap ton of money. And thats even if dont do side missions and collecting missions etc. Will also have a ton of things can trade into the fence. Got every single camp upgrade, even the useless ones like "For everyone!" (improves overall camp mood). Can buy whatever horse you want, or crap even a couple of them and fully upgrade them. Any weapon you want. And every weapon you have fully upgraded. Even spent a ton of money making the color of all my guns gold. And with camp upgrades never have to spend any money on miracle tonics, provisions, ammo etc. Even bought multiple outfits and still have 800$-1200$ left

Smokewood

There is a disconnect between the story and your personal bank, for sure.

I liked how they did it in GTA V, you were dead broke until the end of the story.....

crazedZ10

Another reason I really hope for a pc release. I really want to see period accurate prices. 

SonOfLiberty
5 hours ago, Smokewood said:

There is a disconnect between the story and your personal bank, for sure.

I liked how they did it in GTA V, you were dead broke until the end of the story.....

Dead broke? After the jewellery store heist Michael could already technically be a millionaire (If you choose the right crew member combination) and Franklin could have $300,000 in his pocket. Then there's Trevor who starts the game with $90,000 (Or maybe it's a bit more. Not really sure). GTA V came with its own set of problems how it handled money because of the reliance on the stock market where you can have millions even before the end. Undeniably it's probably the best GTA game in this regard, but it's still nowhere near flawless 

The way I see it having more money than you can spend will always be an issue in open world games unless developers can figure out a way to balance out what is earned and expenditures. It is true though the economy in this game feels way too exaggerated. I have over $2000 sitting in my contributions at the camp because I bought the upgrades and I just bank excess money I don't need. Money should be much harder to come by because it feels weird having a $1000 or more because in today's money that would be a truckload.

O.Z

The economy has always been bad in all Rockstar games, nothing new here. 

I actually think its the worst in GTA V... you have loads of cash(each protagonist)

lol I was broke some times ago and I have now roughly 200$.

Fluffy Sock

I won't loot dead folks during my 2nd playthrough, only those with special items/letters on them. Neither random houses, only the marked as house burglings.

I'll have more money than things to spend it on by Chapter 4 anyway, but my economy will be a bit more even with the lore of the game.

jje1000
9 hours ago, crazedZ10 said:

Another reason I really hope for a pc release. I really want to see period accurate prices. 

Agreed- some things need to be more expensive, while others need to be cheaper (like food and alcohol). I also hope that that mission income can also be adjusted lower as well, or eliminated in some cases.

It might help balance the story out a bit as well, making Strauss's income more significant (giving an actual reason why Dutch keeps him around), or making it feel less stupid that Arthur gives Monroe or Downes a few hundred dollars to start new lives while he has thousands or even tens of thousands in the bank. 

Edited by jje1000

King Vercetti

I guess it depends wildly on how you play, but it’s fascinating to see people say this. By the end of chapter 6, I only had about $5000, and I never did all the camp upgrades or bought every weapon and outfit available. I’m sure that if I did, I would have had very little money left. I’ve also seen others say they finished the game with $10-20k, but I just don’t see how that’s possible unless you’re actively trying to make money your main focus. I guess it’s because I just focused on the story and exploring, so I probably had way less than someone that spent a lot of time doing robberies, etc. 

(obviously when I say finish with 10-20k, I don’t mean the epilogue lol) 

Edited by King Vercetti

Nutduster

This describes every single Rockstar single player game since GTA 3.  They are literally all like this. You scrape away for half the game, then suddenly the dam breaks and you spend the rest of the game flush with cash. 

My experience was that a LOT of my cash came from gold bars. I went out of my way to find them early so I could customize my weapons and buy a lot of clothes, but I never spent more than a small chunk of what I found and ended up rich afterward.  I think if I'd either not found any, or just found one randomly and not intentionally looked for the others, I would have been really struggling the way the narrative implies you ought to be.

Edited by Nutduster

Kemasus
On 1/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, FreeMaxB585 said:

Didnt even realize this until my 2nd play through. By the time you are a couple hours into chapter 4 (st denis) you have a crap ton of money. And thats even if dont do side missions and collecting missions etc. Will also have a ton of things can trade into the fence. Got every single camp upgrade, even the useless ones like "For everyone!" (improves overall camp mood). Can buy whatever horse you want, or crap even a couple of them and fully upgrade them. Any weapon you want. And every weapon you have fully upgraded. Even spent a ton of money making the color of all my guns gold. And with camp upgrades never have to spend any money on miracle tonics, provisions, ammo etc. Even bought multiple outfits and still have 800$-1200$ left

Found this 1870,s price list of goods - https://www.nps.gov/common/uploads/teachers/lessonplans/1870CatalogueofGoods.pdf

UncleTacitus

Well it's a R* game so what can you expect?

Cutter De Blanc

I don't know,  I don't agree. I run out of money and then I go earn some more. I do spend alot of money on bounties though

Conscience gets expensive 

Edited by Cutter De Blanc

LeftTurnus

My 1st playthrough I avoided any spoilers at all.

So not knowing anything outside of what I was learning in-game, I was pretty poor until Chapter 4.

I am on my second play through with a ton of knowledge and more money than I will ever need, just started Chapter 3 .

I am taking my time and working on challenges and stuff. I want to do as much as Arthur as possible, without glitching.

The economy could use some tweaking, but it would probably mess up some of the extra activities available like the treasure hunts.

Jason
On 1/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, O.Z said:

The economy has always been bad in all Rockstar games, nothing new here. 

I actually think its the worst in GTA V... you have loads of cash(each protagonist)

Yep. Rockstar always throw too much money at you, in GTA V it's possible to hit the currency limit ($2.147b) and still have billions left in stock. RDR2 is no different here, you either get to around chapter 3-4 and have more than enough money or you go treasure hunting in chapter 2 and also have more than enough money. It really makes the whole hunting for cash, or robbing trains for cash or w/e really sorta pointless.

I feel like the camp upgrade system may be behind them giving you too much cash this time around, I reckon if you just have the camp upgrade as you play and then have to really earn your money the economy would be better and earning your guns and customisation would be more fun, but as it stands the only reason you don't have all the weapons in chapter 3 is cause they're all progression locked.

Cutter De Blanc

I got 8 gold bars left from the explorer challenges but I only liquidate one if I need fast cash (e.g. out of booze). It's fun to go out and earn the money. It's amazing how quickly I can spend 400 dollars on boots, dude has more shoes than Miss Grimshaw

Edited by Cutter De Blanc