3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

RaigeGames

Favorite animal to hunt?

XxJazzy42xX

Any birds really due to how quick and easy you can get em, but I really like the prices I get from the Californian Condor. Condor Feathers add up and if you can get a perfect carcass load that thing up. Other than that Gators, Deer, Rams, or Elk, especially for the horns on the Ram. If you can get packs of those they sell really well.

Stupidis

Birds, crocs and crooks.

Dr.Rosenthal

Birds are good, if you’re lucky enough to come across different kinds in short time. Just a few of one kind of bird is enough to max your inventory. But I’m also still a huge fan of fishing, if you know where to go and, again, if you’re lucky.

Last night I went and got 10 trouts and 10 salmon in a pinch, hooking a fish on every cast. $50 easy money. But other times when I’ve been to the same spots it’s been fewer and far between.

For money, it’s hard to beat Bluewater Marsh (for hunting, that is, not fishing), but I also get fed up with scanning the same hunting grounds over and over.

I like to go on a trek every now and then, letting the herbs guide me and hunt for any animals I happen to come across. 😊

Edit: I should add that another obvious benefit to fishing is that it goes straight into your satchel. So if someone is riding past and decides to kill me, I can revenge-kill them all I want afterwards, and then just get back to fishing where I left off. Sorry for straying off topic!

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

A Man Deprived
On 1/15/2019 at 9:35 AM, XxJazzy42xX said:

Any birds really due to how quick and easy you can get em, but I really like the prices I get from the Californian Condor. Condor Feathers add up and if you can get a perfect carcass load that thing up. Other than that Gators, Deer, Rams, or Elk, especially for the horns on the Ram. If you can get packs of those they sell really well.

Condors used to be my favorite thing to hunt. I'd load up on as many feathers as I could find. Now that I have my Springfield, I tend to try and bag as many medium-game animal pelts as I can, while also trying to load up on Condors whenever I get the chance, but it isn't as often as before.

Dr.Rosenthal

Is it just me or is the predator bait pretty useless? Maybe I just haven’t tried enough, but I’d really like if it made a bigger difference. I’d definitely hunt for more cougars and grizzly bear, and plan ahead more with my hunting.

The ones that are hardest to find - 3 star bears and cougars etc. but they should pay a lot more than a fish or a deer dammit.

Edited by 1898

yeezy203
1 hour ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Birds are good, if you’re lucky enough to come across different kinds in short time. Just a few of one kind of bird is enough to max your inventory. But I’m also still a huge fan of fishing, if you know where to go and, again, if you’re lucky.

Last night I went and got 10 trouts and 10 salmon in a pinch, hooking a fish on every cast. $50 easy money. But other times when I’ve been to the same spots it’s been fewer and far between.

For money, it’s hard to beat Bluewater Marsh (for hunting, that is, not fishing), but I also get fed up with scanning the same hunting grounds over and over.

I like to go on a trek every now and then, letting the herbs guide me and hunt for any animals I happen to come across. 😊

Edit: I should add that another obvious benefit to fishing is that it goes straight into your satchel. So if someone is riding past and decides to kill me, I can revenge-kill them all I want afterwards, and then just get back to fishing where I left off. Sorry for straying off topic!

great plains near blackwater is great for hunting as well. There's usually a pack of Bison right near blackwater on top of all the other animals out there. I've had some nice hauls out there.

Showtime58

Herons, Gator, Buck. I never end a hunt unless I got a satchel full of feathers, two perfect herons on the sides, a perfect buck on the back and a perfect buck to lasso back to town.

Sammionna

Can't resist hunting a 3 star Whitetail with my Bolt Action when I spot them. Condors and desert Pronghorns have also made me a lot of cash whenever I'm roaming around New Austin.

Edited by Sammionna

gibsonteddyj
On 1/14/2019 at 12:12 PM, Van_Hellsing said:

Owls. The feathers fetch $1.5. 

I like to hunt the birds as well.  They aren't much of a challenge but the money you can make off feathers is almost like stealing.  I personally love to roll up on a flock of roseate spoonbills (pink birds located in the marsh and St. Denis coast area).  Their feathers fetch $1.95 each and the corpse brings $4.00 each if memory serves correct.

2 hours ago, Showtime58 said:

Herons, Gator, Buck. I never end a hunt unless I got a satchel full of feathers, two perfect herons on the sides, a perfect buck on the back and a perfect buck to lasso back to town.

Lol, I haven't ever tried to lasso a deer and bring it back to town.  For chuckles, I have lassoed some of the bigger animals like rams and elk.  It hasn't really ever ended well for me as they usually run and drag me or they charge me and knock me down.  Do you drag the deer behind you or do they willingly run?  I will definitely try this out.

BulletFly

Pigs of all kind ;)

Showtime58
57 minutes ago, gibsonteddyj said:

Do you drag the deer behind you or do they willingly run?  I will definitely try this out.

Basically what I'll do is when I have the horse fully stocked, I'll roam around until I find a Perfect Buck.

I usually use the bolt action, but if I'm low on ammo I'll Lasso to get a grip on the Buck, hop off the horse, approach it holding L2 and press Circle/B to kill with the knife for a clean kill. Once it's dead, I leave it unskinned, hop on the horse, face the horse towards its body and hit it with the lasso- It'll loop around the neck perfectly and on the lower right hand side of the screen it'll say "Circle/B to release". For some reason, if you don't face the horse directly towards the animal it won't register but after a few tries you'll be able to do it every single time no problem.

Just make sure you don't skin it before you take it there because you can't lasso a skinned animal. :/ It's a damn shame too- it'd save a good 45 seconds if I could just skin the thing then drag it haha Also, check the map and head to a butcher that is empty- even if it's a little out of the way because it leaves you HELLA wide open in town. Last thing: If you have 3 pelts on the horse already, skin the buck in town, sell the pelt in hand, leave menu, then sell everything to avoid your items/profits being glitched.

Red Lynx 23

I'm not sure if "favorite" is the right word. but I like to imagine that every Cougar that comes after me in Brandywine Drop is the same one time and time again. Micah The Mountain Lion as I call him.

rusbeckia

Favorite to hunt are squirrels, quails, singing birds and everything you need small game arrows for. 

chuckclc
On 1/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, Talisman_83 said:

Herons, spoonbills and pelicans are my weakness.

EDIT: Not just because they pay really well, but because they can be elusive.

You can almost not notice them perched at the edge of a bank, still, until you shoot a nearby gator and they squawk and fly away. 

Then it's a mad dash to shoot them all down.

Not to mention that once you shoot one of them the others all immediately fly over the deep part of the ocean.  You gotta be sneaky and fast with those suckers.

Showtime58
12 hours ago, Red Lynx 23 said:

I'm not sure if "favorite" is the right word. but I like to imagine that every Cougar that comes after me in Brandywine Drop is the same one time and time again. Micah The Mountain Lion as I call him.

Lmao straight up racing after that cougar with a posse of 5 firing into the air like "YOUGONLURN TUDAY, BOAH"

13 hours ago, Red Lynx 23 said:

3lVq5dZ.jpg lmao meant to embed this xD

Nerfgoth

reptiles in any size and form! But all animals I can hunt with my bow!

DentureDynamite
2 hours ago, chuckclc said:

Not to mention that once you shoot one of them the others all immediately fly over the deep part of the ocean.  You gotta be sneaky and fast with those suckers.

Keep an "ear" out for those birds, too--last night (at two different times) a large (~10 birds) flock of Pelicans and Herons flew overhead, and I was able to down 4-5 of them each time.

Only problem is that the despawn issue reared its ugly head again, making some of them disappear before I had a chance to get to them.

Fernando_Martinez

When the opportunity arises, I can never resist to chase a nice couple of boobies!

Boozey St John

People...

But in the RDO: Probably birds and turtles. Something quite funny about kicking a giant turtle. 

Edited by Boozey St James