Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Miamivicecity

Which GTA has the most crime-themed story?

Which title in the Grand Theft Auto series has the most crime-themed and/or crime-orientated storyline?  

17 members have voted

  1. 1. Which title in the Grand Theft Auto series has the most crime-themed and/or crime-orientated storyline?

    • Grand Theft Auto III
      6
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
      2
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
      5
    • Grand Theft Auto Advance
      0
    • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
      0
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
      0
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
      4
    • Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned
      0
    • Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony
      0
    • Grand Theft Auto V
      0


Recommended Posts

albanyave

For me it would be IV and TLaD. Vengeance turned Niko into a criminal. He was driven to avenge his fallen comrades in the war. He wanted to get paid but there was always some other reason simmering in the background. So it was not all about money and in that way I could cheer for him to finally get to the truth even if it meant being a criminal to get the answers. In fact, I wanted him to be the best criminal that he could be.

 

As far as Johnny is concerned, he wears a leather jacket and rides a steel horse. He is leading an outlaw motorcycle club. He's not picking daisies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NotFreeman

Vice City got the closest mostly because of Tommy's ruthless behavior with only a few sympathetic moments to keep him evil but not silly "puppy kicking" evil 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evil empire

San Andreas since you can recruit homies, conquer new gang territories, control companies with some illegal activities, play the pimp, attack the army and even bury a foreman alive in a port-a-potty because he lacked of respect towards Kendl.

 

To make it short San Andreas offers all the activities a criminal mastermind can do, the hard-drug traffic being the only limit.

 

3 and Vice City offer a very good criminal background however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GTAgamerWyald

Most of them make you feel like a criminal, this is after all the main selling point. I think the question here is, which make you feel less like a criminal?

 

GTA 5 for sure, I felt like a corrupt government agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FadeAway

lll, Vice City and IV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reyiz Kovan
23 hours ago, GTAgamerWyald said:

Most of them make you feel like a criminal, this is after all the main selling point. I think the question here is, which make you feel less like a criminal?

 

GTA 5 for sure, I felt like a corrupt government agent.

You aint that bad nigga,i felt like a b*tch,steve f*ckin haines:michael go to there,michael ice that guy,michael suck my fatty...thats all,i hate roll of the feds in this game,also i think gta 5's story is garbage a little bit too if you ask me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Copcaller

Gta 3 and tlad

Edited by Copcaller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Typhus

Grand Theft Auto III based on how depressing and bleak the world is. You start as a scumbag and finish as a scumbag. You don't get a mansion or take over the city, you go from squalid safe house to safe house, and by the end of the story have pissed off so many people it's dangerous to even walk around the streets. Even the newer games haven't captured that same feeling of being a small-time thug in a world much bigger than yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tao Cheng

Vice City. Florida's bitter senior citizens and the 80s suck IMO so I don't care whose lives I've ruined in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mde2

Vice City Stories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samz707

GTA 1: It's part of the reason its enjoyable, yes the combat missions are the worst combat in the series, but at least you're mostly delivering bribes and that kinda thing, Rasta Blasta discards it, and it's the worst level in the game for it. (Who doesn't like killing the president while he's surrounded by guys with instant kill machine guns in a game where the AI has tiny hit boxes and the player has a too large one?)

 

GTA III: same reasons, but it doesn't go completely over the top towards the end.

 

GTA VCS: While the main story is poorly paced. (only 50 missions and it's past the 25th before you actually unlock the second half of Vice city.) the actual Empire missions are awesome and more than make up for it IMO, feeling like proper criminal work, the fact they're a repeatable side-mission helps it as well, since you can be constantly doing criminal work rather than doing it once as the plot demands.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arnold Stallone
Posted (edited)

I'm gonna be the odd man out and say GTA Online.

I robbed banks and instead of being just satisfied with my loot I spent it on developing my criminal empire which included drug and weapons trafficking, exporting a large amount of stolen vehicles and my own personal night club and military grade hanger.

I now have a gold plated yacht and a space based weapons system that I own to show my power.

Did I do any of this because I had a Sonny Forelli breathing down my back like Tommy or because I wanted to protect my family like Niko? No, I did it simply because of the reason that I wanted to have more and try to my character the most powerful criminal kingpin in the city.

Edited by Arnold Stallone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bad Azz

Vice City and GTA IV win this contest for me. 

 

Liberty City Stories comes to minds as well.

 

And I have to agree with the general sentiment that GTA V completely missed the mark when it comes to this. 

 

You kind of lose that feeling quickly in San Andreas too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Equatecurl

Chinatown wars 

 

by far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante

Obviously the entire root of Grand Theft Auto games is being a criminal. The game title alone suggests that. But which GTA installment has the biggest crime-orientation of them all? I have only included the 3D and HD Universe installments because it seems upon research the older games lack any actual story. I wasn't able to get much information. But of the options here, which installment has the biggest crime-themed story of the lot? Now I've not played a few of them in a while given my limited access to my video game systems with the older titles, but as far as I can remember I think I'll have to say that GTA: Vice City has the biggest crime-orientation of the lot.

 

I don't remember a single mission in Vice City that didn't involve you committing some sort of crime bar just a few. Even driving around in an ice cream truck is for the purpose of drug dealing. Avery Carrington has you taking part in white-collar crime for his real estate business. Even Kauffman Cab missions involve you forcibly driving out competition. The entire game is basically about being an uprising kingpin of crime in an entire city. I think this is why many GTA fans love Vice City. The pure focus on someone who was once an errand-boy for a mob boss rising up in the criminal underworld to take on Vice City and deal with the rivals. 

 

But what do you think? Which GTA game do you think has the most crime-orientated storyline? Leave your thoughts below and vote in the poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

I mean we're "committing crimes" in most of the missions in the series so what I'm going to do is to see how many different variations of crime the game offers. But even if we consider the "amount of crime based missions" I think the list would remain the same. 

 

1. GTA San Andreas:Is there a single area of crime this game missed? Gambling, Prostitution, Pimping, Mafia families, Being an Assassin(For Tenpenny), Drugs, Illegal Races, Corruption in Law Enforcement, Military Bases Crimes, Organized Heists, Arms, Street Gangs, Burglary, Vehicle Theft, Kidnapping and most importantly following trains... Everything and it's terrific how the missions are varied and don't involve doing the same task over and over. 

2. GTA Vice City

3. GTA Vice City Stories

4. GTA IV(+EFLC) 

5. GTA III

6. GTA V

7. GTA LCS

 

35 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

 

I don't remember a single mission in Vice City that didn't involve you committing some sort of crime bar just a few. 

The Party

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samz707

I guess GTA 3.

 

Mainly for how it feels the most "Plausible" in a sense, it's the one that most feels like an actual crime story.

 

Yeah Claude still would have been tracked down before the half-way mark, but he doesn't somehow move into a mansion after shooting it up no questions asked, Have a weird half-recruitment by the government or take part in too outlandish missions aside from one or two of El Bruno's missions.

 

 

Edited by Samz707

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
izXenon

San Andreas..

 

There are characters like Niko Bellic, who wants to live a quiet life in America but is forced to act like a criminal on behalf of his cousin.

 

Luis Lopez, who is forced to act like a criminal on behalf of his boss Tony, which two just want to run their club freely.

 

Victor Vance, who was a marine before becoming a criminal without intending to.

 

For me, characters like these and a few more are not so evil. On the other hand, San Andreas is all about crime. Yes, in LCS you play as a mobster and on GTA V you do heists and other crimes but in San Andreas there is not a single mission where you are not performing a crime. And what place has a higher criminal rate than the hood anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial

I voted for GTA III, Claude was a man of no words and all about crime. Games after VC had a few non-crime objectives in the mix like dancing, dating or yoga that would have felt out of place in GTA III or VC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davao

For me GTA SA.  It has everything to do with crime in the game.   I feel like VC is more about owning businesses.   Then IV comes 2nd with it and V comes probably last due to some of the missions and it isn't as crime themed as other games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

I think GTA III really has the most "criminal" feel to the story. Like perennial said, the game was basically all about crime, with there being very little non-crime missions and objectives (besides early on in the game where you might just have to innocently give someone a ride). I think the dark atmosphere and gritty nature of the game and of the map help in giving the story feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FearThoseWhoFearHim

San Andreas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miamivicecity
9 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Obviously the entire root of Grand Theft Auto games is being a criminal. The game title alone suggests that. But which GTA installment has the biggest crime-orientation of them all? I have only included the 3D and HD Universe installments because it seems upon research the older games lack any actual story. I wasn't able to get much information. But of the options here, which installment has the biggest crime-themed story of the lot? Now I've not played a few of them in a while given my limited access to my video game systems with the older titles, but as far as I can remember I think I'll have to say that GTA: Vice City has the biggest crime-orientation of the lot.

 

I don't remember a single mission in Vice City that didn't involve you committing some sort of crime bar just a few. Even driving around in an ice cream truck is for the purpose of drug dealing. Avery Carrington has you taking part in white-collar crime for his real estate business. Even Kauffman Cab missions involve you forcibly driving out competition. The entire game is basically about being an uprising kingpin of crime in an entire city. I think this is why many GTA fans love Vice City. The pure focus on someone who was once an errand-boy for a mob boss rising up in the criminal underworld to take on Vice City and deal with the rivals. 

 

But what do you think? Which GTA game do you think has the most crime-orientated storyline? Leave your thoughts below and vote in the poll.

I hope you don't mind my friend that I merged this thread with a very similar one I made a couple of years ago. Although it has me listed as the OP, but it also includes your poll just incase there's any confusion.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante
9 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

I hope you don't mind my friend that I merged this thread with a very similar one I made a couple of years ago. Although it has me listed as the OP, but it also includes your poll just incase there's any confusion.👍

I am surprised I didn’t find this old thread in the search function before I created the thread. It must’ve just been a bit of an issue with my internet connection or I made a mistake searching. But it’s fine anyway, thanks for putting in the poll. 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miamivicecity
8 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

I am surprised I didn’t find this old thread in the search function before I created the thread. It must’ve just been a bit of an issue with my internet connection or I made a mistake searching. But it’s fine anyway, thanks for putting in the poll. 👍🏻

The search function is flawed since the forum update, but the last post was a few days ago (It was on the front page a few threads down), but yeah I remembered asking a similar question a couple of years back and the thread was still active so just combined them together.

 

You might also get a shock that I chose GTA IV too.😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante
Just now, Miamivicecity said:

The search function is flawed since the forum update, but the last post was a few days ago (It was on the front page a few threads down), but yeah I remembered asking a similar a couple of years back and the thread was still active so just combined them together.

 

You might also get a shock that I chose GTA IV too.😛

You picked GTA IV? No! 🤭

 

It seems though that I need to go back and play then all again. I mean San Andreas covered every area of crime like TheSantander25 said (though gambling isn’t a crime in Nevada) but I must have been put off by the odd government work. Even then though it was still illegal activities.

 

GTA IV started off a bit more legit before you get dragged into working for criminals due to Roman’s debts and all that. It certainly felt like the most natural transistion into the criminal underworld, and surprisingly GTA V ranks highly there as well. It wasn’t as good, but it still felt more natural to the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miamivicecity
4 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

GTA IV started off a bit more legit before you get dragged into working for criminals due to Roman’s debts and all that. It certainly felt like the most natural transistion into the criminal underworld

That's what I like about it too. Don't get me wrong GTA III seems to be a popular choice and I actually love how it starts with Claude literally as a felon still in a prison jumpsuit and you start working for the Leones straight away through Luigi, but with GTA IV it would've felt weird and odd if Niko having just arrived into the city from another country started doing hits for gangs straight away.

 

He's slowly pulled into the criminal underworld through Roman's debts and it's a steady climb. As you say it's the most natural transition and one of the reasons I still love revisiting the story.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
16 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

 

It seems though that I need to go back and play then all again. I mean San Andreas covered every area of crime like TheSantander25 said (though gambling isn’t a crime in Nevada) 

It's TheSantader25 not TheSantander25. That's a Spanish word if I'm not mistaken. 😉

 

For some reason whenever I think of San Andreas Casinos I remember the movie "casino". Pretty much every casino has some dirty work around it. That's why I listed it as a crime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grotti Vigilante
1 minute ago, TheSantader25 said:

It's TheSantader25 not TheSantander25. That's a Spanish word if I'm not mistaken. 😉

 

For some reason whenever I think of San Andreas Casinos I remember the movie "casino". Pretty much every casino has some dirty work around it. That's why I listed it as a crime. 

Oh dear me, I’ve been reading it wrong this whole time! 🤦‍♂️

 

Regardless, it’s a good point you made at least. Casino activities were dodgy and probably close to, if not an actual form of white-collar crime that I’ve been keen to see in GTA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.