2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Help with editorial article - "Git Gud" and its use in gaming

Kiethblacklion

Kiethblacklion

I’m writing an editorial piece for a gaming website on the gaming term “git gud”; it’s perception, it’s usage, etc. In order to write this article thoroughly, I’d like to get the opinions of the players on this forum. Take a look at the questions below and reply with your answers, or if you’d prefer, you can send me a private message. This will be an editorial/opinion piece on my views of the phrase, I’m just looking for personal experiences from players to help give some credibility to the article. I don’t want this discussion to devolved into a heated debate about how, why and when it should or shouldn’t be used. So let’s keep it civil. Thanks for your help.

Users of “git gud”

-how often do you send this message to another player

-what scenario occurs that causes you to send this message

-what are your thoughts/feelings/intent when you send the message

-how do you send it: privately through forum PM, Xbox message, in-game, etc

-any personal thoughts on using it

Receivers of “git gud”

-how often do you receive this message

-what is the scenario in which you’ve received this message

-what are your thoughts/feelings upon receiving it

-how do you receive it

-do you respond to the message

-any personal thoughts on it being used

I don't think I've ever sent this to anyone and I don't remember ever receiving this either.

• Like 4

Lonely-Martin

-how often do you receive this message:

*Not too often.

-what is the scenario in which you’ve received this message:

*Mishaps on heists, losing game modes, getting killed, or cargo destroyed. Basically at any time it can happen. (Though cargo hasn't been an issue for a long time now).

-what are your thoughts/feelings upon receiving it: 

*Bless 'em. Rarely care what idiots think about my gaming, just playing for my/our fun of it.

-how do you receive it: 

*Text and over mic. Couple of times on here naturally. (But here I discuss how I play and what I like, some like to knock it - Or go further, lol).

-do you respond to the message:

*Rarely, the odd time I'll send a 'lol' (Here though I relish the chats, even if they get a bit spicy).

-any personal thoughts on it being used: 

*They waste their time, and it's rather daft. I don't get the aggression of some, lol. But it's not offensive or anything nasty like much of the other crap I've received over the years, usually makes me smile at their need for attention and poor form. Though as shown on here, some I bite at for a bit of fun and rambles, forum gold. (Though some attacks are a bit harsh and desperate - Arena War B&M thread just recently highlights how some need to attack, unfortunately). If I text another in game, it's to help or try to add others for jobs/fun.

Edited by Lonely-Martin

I'm on both ends. I've said this alot, to the point where my main plate ingame is G1TGUD, but I generally only say it to friends in a joking manner. I have received it once or twice from people better than me, but I find it more humorous than malicious. I think Git Gud has long past its prime and doesn't really have any impact in insulting one's skill anymore. Something much more effective at starting sh*t in recent time is simply 'trash' rather than the former. Much more provocative and to the point. All-in-all however, I can accept I suck a lot of the time so messages like those hold no real weight to me. 

2 hours ago, Kiethblacklion said:

how often do you send this message to another player

1- not as often as i used to. i now send it maybe once or twice a week, back in the day when i was very active, i'd send couple times a day.

2-normally i send this message if im minding my own business and another player come to try force pvp, i proceed to teach him a lesson and would continue to kill him til he go passive or leave the session.

3-when i send this message im just trying to let that player know that what he brings to the table is not good enough, there are betters players out there, if he dont want to be get sweeped by other good players, he have to practice more, get more variety of movements, learn more strategies based on location of the map, basically gotta git gud boi!

4-i send it via ps messenger.

I only received "git gud" from OP Hydra players before the Deluxo invasion. I always took it as: "U no wye I'm winin? Coz wile U wer waysting ur time lurnen 2 spell I wuz tranin muh skilz"

19 hours ago, No Homing said:

I don't think I've ever sent this to anyone and I don't remember ever receiving this either.

This.
Can't remember the last time i've seen this. People often are using straight insults or doxing now.

Last time I used it was as a joke here on the forums. Just like I said Rhino Hunt was the game mode of the decade🤣

I have never actually used the term though, in-game. I rarely send messages to randoms, mainly cos' I spend half my life in Invite Only or the Creator.

20 hours ago, No Homing said:

+1. Same here

On 1/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, Kiethblacklion said:

-how often do you send this message to another player

1. I've only ever used the specific term "git gud" here on GTAForums a cheap, throw-a-way one liner to a low-effort thread a few times. Never in game or outside this site.

2. I think of the term as saying "stop crying, step your game up" which for me, using it on the forums, would be someone saying they can't do heists without Kurumas or they can't hold their own in PvP when the cops are called. But again this has only happened a few times. 

In game, I've occasionally sent other messages to players when I'm disappointed in their gameplay. Messages like "do better", "die less", "stay alive", "drive better" etc. I've only sent those in heists and it's been targeted against randoms you join who mess up in simple ways. Like crashing the Velum in Prison Break: Plane or Finale or crashing the Vans in the opening Pacific Standard set-up. It's sent for something that should be simple and easy that players find a way to mess up; or if their lack of skill becomes a consistent hindrance to progress. 

3. I look at the messages as petty, so I try to refrain from sending them unless I feel that the person should be aware of how poorly they're playing. 

4. "git gud" is a forum specific development I've only done a few times. Sending "do better" or "die less" as an in-game message happens more often than the former, but not often enough to be a habit. 

5. It's a quick little snarky remark, not much to it. 

Edited by R3CON
  • Like 3

KgQS6by.jpg?1

I've received it a few times and my reply has always been, "get spell check."

• Like 4

Neither a user or receiver, but I've seen it offered up an game fora, always in a condescending (or worse) tone followed by a LOL.

It's childish leet speak, nothing more, and fairly often seems to be used by cheaters to try and make others think they are actually "gud" instead of cheating.

Again, just from what I've observed posted on game fora.

I pay little attention to it, but then I'm not from that generation.

• Like 2

Yellow Dog with Cone

I always LOL'd at people telling you to "git gud" in GTAO.

I mean, "giting gud" in the context of this game probably means spamming explosives and taking the EWO all the time lol

Lonely-Martin
3 hours ago, fw3 said:

I've received it a few times and my reply has always been, "get spell check."

Oh blimey, when I get a bit of bitterness and you just laugh it off and completely divert that chatter to their grammar mistakes, that just see's some really rage.

Classic. But some spelling is so hard to even make out, lol. I'm too old for all this kids 'text talk' of shortening words. Even when my kids text me, I dig 'em out, lol. (In a fun way and to try to get them to talk properly to me - ha-ha).

• Like 2

Kiethblacklion

"Thank you" to everyone who replied. These responses will be very helpful. I appreciate it. 

Since I have what I need for the article, replies to this post are no longer needed. Is there a way to request for the thread to be locked?

Edited by Kiethblacklion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiethblacklion said:

"Thank you" to everyone who replied. These responses will be very helpful. I appreciate it. 

Since I have what I need for the article, replies to this post are no longer needed. Is there a way to request for the thread to be locked?

Got it.