3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Rokushakubo

Thoughts about the risk factor of PvE in RDO

Rokushakubo

I only joined these forums a few days ago but have been lurking way longer. During that time I've seen a lot of people understandingly wanting ways to play RDO as a PvE experience without the threat of being attacked by other players. These include passive mode and private lobbies. I can fully appreciate these wishes and have myself lost pelts and carcasses stored on my horse from aggressive players. Initially this was frustrating because no one likes to waste time and lose financial progress, especially due to the senseless whim of some random player. However, after some thought, I made my peace with this element of the game and upon reflection of the SP side of the game it makes perfect sense for us to be going about our daily lives with the ever present threat of others coming and robbing/killing us. 

In my mind I thought back to all the outlaw activity I perpetrated as Arthur who in a way is a grieffer of the NPCs of the game. 

Now I like this element. I like that I have to be vigilant, that I have to watch the actions of those near me--watching for weapons drawn or telling movements that may indicate they aren't peaceful. I like that element of risk. What doesn't make sense to me is that I didn't really like it in GTAO and a part of why I didn't enjoy or partake in most of the business activity is that you were prey to a lobby of people who will track you down during money making missions just to f*ck with you. It may just be because RDO is a much more grounded game and I know I won't be rolled over by a tank, jet or attack helicopter.

I don't really have any real point to make, I'm not for or against the anti-griefing measures that people are after. I was just prompted to share these thoughts in light of the new changes listed in today's update regarding localised map blips, grieffer indicators and the new (and ambiguous) bounty system that are in the works. JUst wondering what others' thoughts are really. :) 

IamCourtney

Completely agree with you, or nearly completely. I love running my GTAO businesses in open sessions just because of the spice it adds to the whole experience, and the same is true here. I get bored pretty quickly when there's no risk or possibility of loss in a game.

aaron2997

I get where you're coming from. The game is much more interesting when there's stakes involved. I've gotten more than accustomed to always checking the map when skinning animals or heading into towns. Though sometimes people like to do all that without having to be paranoid all the time. Just shut that part of their brain off for a little while and go about their business.

Agree for the most part also but would agree even more if there were free aim sessions with none of these phony "abilities" but I don't think that will happen.

Edited by 1898

Deadman2112

My only argument is this...

Hunting and fishing...

They are the slow grind and because of it's pace, they should make hunting and fishing part of private lobbies or possibly, even make it so people can hunt/fish and not get attacked.

If not, I think they should offer more places to sell (like trapper stalls) and remove the skinning animation to increase the pace of hunting.

Open lobby missions...

That's not so bad but when I get attacked by a player, but I'm in a slow wagon and they are able to respawn to fast. in a matter of a second they are right back after me.

Personally think they should be allowed to attack but limit the guns they have access to.

...and since they are faster because they are on horseback vs a wagon, make it so they can't fast respawn.

Take horse theft for example...

They simply shoot the horse, rewarding them with a successful counter, yet all they did was kill the objective.

I think they should instead force them to have to jack it from you.

Personally I think if they engage a player in this mode it should render their guns ineffective and force them to only use a rope.

So they have to physically steal the horse from you.

Edited by Deadman2112

Shane_Dbns

I think pvp has a place in freeroam but balancing is the issue. It always feels like attackers have the advantage and that's what I find frustrating. If there were more ways to defend ourselves, i wouldn't mind it as much.

Edited by Shane_Dbns

DrKrankenstein

the risk is high, sure it's the wild west, i like that about it. the rewards though.....

DarksunDaFirst
45 minutes ago, Rokushakubo said:

I only joined these forums a few days ago but have been lurking way longer. During that time I've seen a lot of people understandingly wanting ways to play RDO as a PvE experience without the threat of being attacked by other players. These include passive mode and private lobbies. I can fully appreciate these wishes and have myself lost pelts and carcasses stored on my horse from aggressive players. Initially this was frustrating because no one likes to waste time and lose financial progress, especially due to the senseless whim of some random player. However, after some thought, I made my peace with this element of the game and upon reflection of the SP side of the game it makes perfect sense for us to be going about our daily lives with the ever present threat of others coming and robbing/killing us. 

In my mind I thought back to all the outlaw activity I perpetrated as Arthur who in a way is a grieffer of the NPCs of the game. 

Here's the difference between Authur killing someone and taking their sh*t and a PC in RDRO coming by and killing you and you losing your sh*t:

Authur benefits, the only players don't.

That's why I don't go out of my way to ruin someone's evening by killing them randomly when they come into town.  There's absolutely ZERO benefit for it.  You don't get to take their money, you sure as sh*t don't get to take their pelts or carcasses.  You literally just made an enemy for no f*cking reason.  This is why GTA:O was a bit of a sh*tshow at times.  And to those that say "but you have to DEFEND your property"...but there were many of times where there was no legitimate defense because of a vehicle being OP and it's counter was out of your price range.  I've run with some of the best players around and a n00b with an Oppressor could ruin your f*cking day.

There is ZERO reward for engaging in players to ruin their day except to be an asshole.  And some people enjoy being an asshole...

Until I f*ck them with no lube.

Now the missions in online, that's different because you CAN benefit from attacking people.  That's actually an improvement over GTAO.  For instance I could have $100k car I'm trying to run up to bumblesf*ckville and someone comes along and destroys it.  They can't steal it and take the sale, or get paid a bounty by the police...it's just lost money that no one gains.

RDR:O improved on this because now I can steal that mailbag or I can steal that special gator and claim the reward.  So in that instance, yeh I actually do go after people.  But I don't waste bullets for the sake of getting a hard-on.  I have a wife and a girlfriend that do that plenty for me.

Edited by DarksunDaFirst

fromabovecomic
2 hours ago, Rokushakubo said:

Now I like this element. I like that I have to be vigilant, that I have to watch the actions of those near me--watching for weapons drawn or telling movements that may indicate they aren't peaceful. I like that element of risk. What doesn't make sense to me is that I didn't really like it in GTAO and a part of why I didn't enjoy or partake in most of the business activity is that you were prey to a lobby of people who will track you down during money making missions just to f*ck with you. It may just be because RDO is a much more grounded game and I know I won't be rolled over by a tank, jet or attack helicopter.

I don't really have any real point to make, I'm not for or against the anti-griefing measures that people are after. I was just prompted to share these thoughts in light of the new changes listed in today's update regarding localised map blips, grieffer indicators and the new (and ambiguous) bounty system that are in the works. JUst wondering what others' thoughts are really. :) 

yeah i tend to agree to. the introduction of a bounty system on these players or honour color coding my help a little though as at the moment its getting to a point where all of us will shoot first and ask questions later tho, as the risk of waiting usually means youre already dead. I'd heard whistling was a quick establishing method to see if a player was friendly but tbh ive been shot by too many players after whistling and there' nothing worse than having scrawled on your tombstone "He died whistling at another player" :)

Van_Hellsing

Rockstar is copying to RDR2 what worked for Gtao. Try to make a delivery in gtao, the game notifies the entire lobby. 

The stranger missions in RDR2 are not different. In RDR2 it is very difficult to defend. I had to deliver a cart. I killed a griefer four times in a row. The griefer just respawns nearby and starts over. The cart should have a Maxim or Gatling gun. 

I had to deliver a mail bag to griefer's central, Blackwater. I am galopping at max speed and someone still lands a perfect head shot. That is bs. 

I got ambushed so many times at the butcher shop. First, there should be more butchers. Armadillo and Van Horn are good places. The interactions with the butcher are so busted. You have to be perfectly in front of the butcher. And red dots should not be allowed near butchers. 

In gtao I made a lot of friends, since you had to team up for heist s. In RDR2, I avoid any other player. 

On the plus side, I like to grief griefers. 

Edited by Van_Hellsing

Lonely-Martin

Good for you, enjoy.

I don't and it's a game killer.

*shrugs

Ektope

It would be boring without other players interfering. Let's say some were to ambush. My posse could take 'em out, as if we're not letting anything stand in our way and nothing couldn't slow us down. Plus, more XP from killing them.

Lonely-Martin
2 minutes ago, Ektope said:

It would be boring without other players interfering. Let's say some were to ambush. My posse could take 'em out, as if we're not letting anything stand in our way and nothing couldn't slow us down. Plus, more XP from killing them.

For you, not all.

Don't care about Xp, just want to enjoy hassle free gaming with buddies. Simples.

Assblaster

I'm disappointed but I'll still play to see how it works. We need danger of some kind but not extreme griefing the way I get constantly. If I kill someone I want them punished for dying: respawn them on the other side of the damn map not right behind me. As for disappearing blips we'll get camping griefers for sure. And what about the red blips? Do you get that from killing griefers & NPCs? If so then there'll be lots of red blips everywhere. I'll wait and see though, it might work.

Everything we're hearing is lifted from GTAO. No creative thinking going on at all, just as I expected. Ah well... I'll just play at 2 am when most of the griefers are asleep lol. I still have fun with this game, despite its flaws.

Edited by Assblaster
(I should've posted this in the beta update thread, sorry)

The FoolYT

Sure that's a fine point. The thing most people are against though is AA, not PvP from what I've seen. Because everyone is forced to be in AA lobbies, no one has the choice to use free aim realistically (you can use it but you'll get dropped most of the time unless you use specific dead eye perks which can only help when dead eye is in use)

Me myself, i don't mind the PvP, as long as it's fair and interesting. AA is not interesting, you or anyone else can kill people within one shot. It doesn't make for interesting gameplay in the slightnest nor has any real counter (Unless your opponent has really slow aim) 

People generally want PvE as they believe that Rockstar is probably not going to bother making free aim only lobbies and so this is the only other realistic feature they could add. Also, not too many people are high enough level yet, but considering the weapons i used in SP, the dynamite arrow is going to be the most annoying weapon if you try to do anything free roam related.

To sum it up, I wouldn't mind PvP if there was seperate free aim lobbies, a feature that has been in the previous Red Dead game, Max Payne 3, GTA IV, GTA TLAD, GTA TBOGT, and GTA V (PS3 + Xbox 360 generation) so it's quite perplexing why they don't have this feature from the get go.

Pocket Fox

Just add more AI threats. I haven't played GTAO with another human being for over a year now. If I was forced to play with others, I simply wouldn't even bother playing at all.

Amazingly, I also refunded Sea of Thieves for the same crap. Forced pvp open world. The issue by forcing pve/pvp together is that neither side gets a good experience and pve'ers usually get the worse end of it.

PvP in SoT was boring af! Some players sailed away or you had to sail for like 30 mins to get in ONE fight. Zzzzzz

PvE was sailing for 30 mins, digging up something, and then your ship being sunk while you're in a cave on an island. Zzzzz

PvE/PvP forced lobbies is gaming devs being too lazy to program or design threats or gamemodes.

It's pretty obvious when there's no reward other than a mental buzz dipsh*ts get when they grief someone. As evident by tools on this forum bragging about killing defenseless players who had a full horse of pelts.... congrats, you got 20xp... the same as if they had just spawned in and roughly the same xp you get for a kill vs an AI with hipfire and special ammo NO REWARD other than being a dick.

PvE'rs meanwhile keep spawning into New Austin so it's populated only there, then fast travel to the far reaches of the map to do stranger missions and hunt solo and be alone.

So neither crowd is really being catered for here. No PvE lobby and lack of PvE content. PvP doesn't reward you beyond a pittance of xp and the actual PvP modes feel last minute thrown together.

Lazy  game development. Make friendly/private lobbies for the pve'ers and for pvp free-roam, add more reward for both killing and avoiding being killed by players. 

Make some actual content for once rather than half ass pve, half ass pvp and throwing them together hoping that'll somehow turn into a quality experience.

Obsi

I'm in 2 minds with PVE....

On the one hand, I do just want to peacefully go about my hunting and exploring and having random asshats shoot you for no reason is just annoying. So if a PVE lobby was available, I'd probably choose it.  I enjoy participating in the showdowns, because to me that's consensual PVP, but I'm not interested at all in engaging in PVP in the open world.   But on the other hand, I do acknowledge that if there was zero risk from anyone else in the world, then I think that would detract from the game a little.  A little bit of anticipation when someone rides near you, wondering if they are friend or foe can be interesting.   When you're doing a mail delivery or something, making it without being killed can feel like an achievement - so the possibility of danger makes that more interesting.  But then if anyone does kill me I get angry :P   So ultimately I don't know....

I do think though that if there isn't going to be the ability to have a PVE/PVP separation then the game needs to be designed to dissuade the players who just kill randomly for fun.  So it will be interesting to see if the new bounty change will help address that.  Also a quicker parley sounds good too.   I had some asshat randomly shoot me, I respawned closeby, they shot me again - each time respawned I'd get killed again almost instantly.  Until finally I did the parley option it gave me, and that allowed me to get out of the area.  But I was getting really frustrated and about to just exit out of the game.

I also think a lot of the problem is a lack of content.  I know that there will be some people who will just choose to grief other players regardless, but when there's not a lot to do in the game I think that encourages people to make up their own fun, which is sometimes dangerous to others :P 

areyouchappin

I think they should just make separate private/invite-only sessions. I see no harm in it, unless there is a very low amount of players playing RD Online or something.

I also like the risks. There will always be griefers or assholes but if I'm given the chance to identify the threat before they are already shooting at me then I don't have a problem with Free Roam PvP. I think R* needs to create new systems to differentiate which players are good or bad and this new proximity blip system sounds very similar to GTA Online's Mental State stat(minus the proximity part). That'll help me enough because once a player gets within the range they'll pop up as a "progressively darkening blip" and I'll know to prepare for a fight or run away.

Pocket Fox
2 hours ago, Obsi said:

I'm in 2 minds with PVE....

On the one hand, I do just want to peacefully go about my hunting and exploring and having random asshats shoot you for no reason is just annoying. So if a PVE lobby was available, I'd probably choose it.  I enjoy participating in the showdowns, because to me that's consensual PVP, but I'm not interested at all in engaging in PVP in the open world.   But on the other hand, I do acknowledge that if there was zero risk from anyone else in the world, then I think that would detract from the game a little.  A little bit of anticipation when someone rides near you, wondering if they are friend or foe can be interesting.   When you're doing a mail delivery or something, making it without being killed can feel like an achievement - so the possibility of danger makes that more interesting.  But then if anyone does kill me I get angry 😛 So ultimately I don't know....

I do think though that if there isn't going to be the ability to have a PVE/PVP separation then the game needs to be designed to dissuade the players who just kill randomly for fun.  So it will be interesting to see if the new bounty change will help address that.  Also a quicker parley sounds good too.   I had some asshat randomly shoot me, I respawned closeby, they shot me again - each time respawned I'd get killed again almost instantly.  Until finally I did the parley option it gave me, and that allowed me to get out of the area.  But I was getting really frustrated and about to just exit out of the game.

I also think a lot of the problem is a lack of content.  I know that there will be some people who will just choose to grief other players regardless, but when there's not a lot to do in the game I think that encourages people to make up their own fun, which is sometimes dangerous to others 😛

R* simply needs to add more AI for PvE stranger missions. Double, triple or even quadruple. I want and I love being chased by AI and shooting them, getting in a fight etc. If I die, I respawn and push on.. and I want to do this in a private or friendly session.

I do not want to be escorting a wagon to have someone fire an explosive round and kill the horse on the wagon to instantly end the mission.

People are acting like, because there'd be no other human players... there'd be nothing to do or no challenge.... so.. was Single Player like a snooze fest for them or something?

I literally want Single Player WITH friends WITH my personalised avatar. And we could still be monetised with DLC etc. And when you felt like PvP, there's playlists or take a trip into PvP freeroam for a bit.

I hate having what I am doing dictated by someone else.

Imagine if your hobby was model aircraft, tanks etc. You sit down, get your kit out, start assembling a chassis. BOOM! your door gets kicked down and someone rushes in and tackles you. We're playing rugby now!!!

Uhh ok, so rugby it is. 5 minutes later. Now we're doing flower arranging. 30 mins later. Now we're knitting sweaters for our cats.

Why can't we engage in what we want, without others stopping us from doing so and doing what THEY want.

Even in PvP free-roam WHAT is the POINT? You get so little heckin XP for killing players, they can parley after 4 kills and it seems soon it'll be 1-2 kills. R* is going to make PvE boring af and PvP boring af.

Everyone is going to lose because R* wants one lobby for everything. It doesn't work. You can't take someone who's hobby is model military vehicles and dump them in a community of people who love to play only rugby and then at other times dump those people into a flower arranging session or knitting circle. 

What one person finds fun, someone else finds utterly boring. R* seems so adverse and resistant to allowing players to play how they want. It even extends to single player where I can't sneak into a factory and stealth my way in because INSTANT FAIL. I have to follow an exact linear path, trigger a pointless cutscene about how sh*t a cowboy I am, then chase an weak old man down and interrogate them. 

Why the f*ck do you make an OPEN world game if only to make it play in a strictly LINEAR fashion!

Here's a blank piece of paper and some pencils and crayons, draw whatever you like... as long as it's ducks at a pond. Now there must be 3 ducks, no more no less. the pond must be centre page, no lillies, and no trees or else INSTANT FAIL.

Chrismads
6 hours ago, The FoolYT said:

Me myself, i don't mind the PvP, as long as it's fair and interesting. AA is not interesting, you or anyone else can kill people within one shot. It doesn't make for interesting gameplay in the slightnest nor has any real counter (Unless your opponent has really slow aim) 

I'm not tryin to be a show off, as I'm only using cards available to everyone else as well. But noone could kill me in 1 shot. I'll take at least 3 headshots to kill, so that argument is dead. If ppl don't play with the right cards, its their own fault gettin 1 shot by varmint rifles.

Edited by Chrismads

Hunterrrr
13 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

For you, not all.

Don't care about Xp, just want to enjoy hassle free gaming with buddies. Simples.

This is what it’s all about for me. 

I also need invite only only because my internet can’t connect to these large lobbies. I see everyone saying they’re getting an error code ever 30 minutes to 1 hour...

I'm getting the error code every 30 seconds to 1 minute. So I cannot play (or pay) until invite only is added. 

Gr8
13 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

R* simply needs to add more AI for PvE stranger missions. Double, triple or even quadruple. I want and I love being chased by AI and shooting them, getting in a fight etc. If I die, I respawn and push on.. and I want to do this in a private or friendly session.

I do not want to be escorting a wagon to have someone fire an explosive round and kill the horse on the wagon to instantly end the mission.

People are acting like, because there'd be no other human players... there'd be nothing to do or no challenge.... so.. was Single Player like a snooze fest for them or something?

Here's the thing, in single player dying is a fail state and you have to restart from a checkpoint. In Multiplayer dying in freeroam is a minor inconvenience. Quadrupling the amount of AI still won't make you fail it would just slow you down a little bit.

The only way it could work is if dying like in single player caused the mission to end but even then people would come up with ways to combat the predictable waves of Ai coming your way to make it a fairly smooth ride with no surprises.

Unfortunately nothing beats the unpredictably of another player challenge-wise. Just be thankful jets weren't around in 1898

Edited by Gr8

trudypoo2
22 hours ago, DrKrankenstein said:

the risk is high, sure it's the wild west, i like that about it. the rewards though.....

The thing is, there is little risk. You die, you respawn, you lose nothing except a carcass and maybe a pelt. I am with OP, the risk of other people shooting you is pretty much the only thing that makes the game interactive and fun online. There really isn't anything to do with other players aside from shooting them or shooting other people with them. I like to fish and hunt but come on!

miahus

The way the game is right now, there isn't much risk and there is no real incentive to gank hunters. What do criminals and outlaws really get from hunters other than a few dollars worth carcass? Can't loot their satchel items or horse cargo. I don't even know what most complain about. If there is a griefer, change session after selling your stuff, simple as that, plus you have intel on all players location, movement, ability cards, level, and you have a companion app that turns your phone/tablet into a fully interactive map, use it. You start the session by spawning next to other players, let's say in Lemoyne, plan a route to empty Valentine, hunt everything on your way there and sell, then to Strawberry, then Blackwater, until you reach Tumbleweed.

This issue always comes up in many games, the pvers vs pvpers, and I see people asking for private sessions or pve only sessions, but this will kill the free roam concept, pve players will stay in their care bear sessions, pvpers will stay in lobby shooting sessions (majority of them already are), especially now when the player base isn't that big. 

Pocket Fox

Care bear sessions.... Seriously, I was mentioning this a month ago.

I know what you mean. It takes so much skill to shoot someone who is fishing or stuck in an animation skinning an animal. The care bears are the pvp'ers who shoot easy and defensiveness targets and then cry so hard at the mention of seperate servers because they'll lose their only source of easy kills. They love PvP sooo much... but won't ever touch the PvP playlists... 

Without PvE servers the PvE crowd will continue to complain until PvP free-roam is neutered/nerfed or they will simply stop playing the game. Sea of Thieves for example, absolute dead game. Rare refused different servers so if you want a PvE experience, you ain't getting one. If you want a PvP experience, again, you ain't getting one. Lose/lose

Amazing how there's server segregation in GTAO and Red Dead Redemption 1. And this wasn't an issue AT ALL. Now all of a sudden out of nowhere 'if you give pve'rs a pve only session you'll kill the game'   Cuz yeah, GTAO was dead on release and Red Dead Redemption 1 Friendly servers basically killed the whole game... right?

Be honest. The low skill griefers are frightened they'll lose their easy kills and suddenly find themselves the victim of more competent players, whom actually play PvP playlists.

The way people re-tell the truth and play spin doctor. Here, I'll jump in.

OMG this game is sooo low skill nooob! It's soo easy to do stuff. What R* needs to do, is make it like DayZ so when you die, you lose all your XP,  money and items and have to start from scratch again. This gives you much better risk, reward and would actually give you a reason to not want to fail or die. It gives killing and gun fights a lot more tension and depth. It would make the game a proper survival game, not the hand holding care bear experience it is right now.

blackwolfred

I’m reading this and I’m like “What about Headhunter,etc?” In GTA, you could do that in a Private lobby. Those aim bot AI that could get a critical shot with a Micro SMG on a pilot in a moving Buzzard were pretty tough, and 20k was a nice chunk of change. 

blackwolfred

The real PVP peeps do it in Deathmatches and the like. Free Roam griefers are for the most part cowards, they hunt in groups, shoot in the back, and camp. The only reason R* cawdles you is this...  You are a means to an end. You spoil the ambitious players  money-making venture. And they see that as shark card/ gold bars sales. Then when updates come the first thing a typical griefer does is cry and say “ It’s not fair!” No sh*t, little Johnny griefing doesn’t really pay good does it? Buy gold bars from the store, and everything is just fine. That is unless Momz won’t let you use her credit card cuz your ass won’t get out and look for a job....

Edited by blackwolfred

Pocket Fox
7 minutes ago, blackwolfred said:

The real PVP peeps do it in Deathmatches and the like. Free Roam griefers are for the most part cowards, they hunt in groups, shoot in the back, and camp. The only reason R* cawdles you is this...  You are a means to an end. You spoil the ambitious players  money-making venture. And they see that as shark card/ gold bars sales. Then when updates come the first thing a typical griefer does is cry and say “ It’s not fair!” No sh*t, little Johnny griefing doesn’t really pay good does it? Buy gold bars from the store, and everything is just fine. That is unless Momz won’t let you use her credit card cuz your ass won’t get out and look for a job....

Basically this.

A griefer kills someone and reduces their earning capacity. Encouraging someone to buy gold/shark cards to get money.

The griefer only gets and pvp kills only reward.... XP. No money, no gold. So a long term griefer is also not making money. Encouraging them to buy gold/shark cards.

The players aren't making money, but Take Two and R* are. And we're having more and more of our freedom and control in the game stripped away and people are actually so dumb and foaming at the mouth fanboys, they are defending it.

Aside from the lack of invite, free aim or friendly servers, RDRO is largely a copy paste job from GTAO (albeit less content) except for one major innovation... They made sure you can't MTU your way to a private session. That's the only innovation they have introduced in RDRO over GTAO. As I said, our control over the game is being ripped away, our ability to play how we want, removed. All to incentivise players, sorry, consumers into buying gold.

Happy Hunter

Is invite only sexuality brewing?

Have to say, it does seem like a really basic thing. Even GTA IV let you choose an empty session.

Pocket Fox
14 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Is invite only sexuality brewing?

Have to say, it does seem like a really basic thing. Even GTA IV let you choose an empty session.

Because shark cards and gold bars weren't a thing.

How under-monetised we used to be.