1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Jason

Red Dead Online Beta Update (January 10th)

Jason
31 minutes ago, Semaj 2JZ♢ said:

Halo does not have any aim assist. The last time I played CoD there was no aim assist. ? What are you on about?

100% free aim on a controller is only horrendous if you suck. I 100% FA'd through my entire GTAO career. Not for PvP mind you, cause that's just stupid. There is nothing "competitive" about having the CPU aim for you. Period.

There's aim assist in some form or another in pretty much all console/controller shooters, including Call of Duty and Halo. It could be that the game slightly pulls your crosshair to enemies close to it or it slows the crosshair down when it's aimed over players, or some other form.

Complete free aim on controller isn't impossible and players can get good with it but it's not great for pick up and play which is what all shooters strive to be great at.

Edited by Jason

RaigeGames
50 minutes ago, lordbancs said:

Why is everyone on about free aim? Is it for the challenge? Or is it because if the griefer had to free aim, he/she may reconsider?

Either way, free aim is unappealing to me. This game is like the wild west in that way, it's about who can draw faster.

Griefers was the most amount of kills with the least amount of effort, which AA provides. No work is needed when aiming aside from a slight flick of the stick for a headshot. A griefers isn't going to have the time or patience to actually aim and line up their shots. For this reason, FA lobbies would see far less griefers than auto aim lobbies 

Jlindstead
1 hour ago, DentureDynamite said:

the only issue to contend with is the freaking Ability Cards (which need to be ditched IMO--like playing bloody "rock, paper, scissors" with the weapon system).

^This.  I think they should be ditched too. I haven't upgraded any of them and I don't really plan too.  I may be at a disadvantage than most because of that stance, but to me it's just a silly concept that takes away from any bit of realisticnes(<-I don't think that's even a word) that the game has to offer.  

DentureDynamite

^^ Realism. :)

And I agree; Ability Cards add a completely unnecessary and face-palming layer of complexity to an already borked game.

Note to Rockstar: Keep It Simple, Stupid. Your bug-fixing dev team will thank you.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Jlindstead
8 minutes ago, DentureDynamite said:

^^ Realism. :)

Thank you, sir or mam.

Edited by Jlindstead

pro24

Until there is a hardcore lobby, Im out.

2 hours ago, coach_wargo said:

Do any other PvP games use auto aim? Battle Field, COD, Fortnite, PUBG, Overwatch, the Division, do they have auto aim? 

No. From a game mechanics standpoint, it might be the lowest skill based shooter type game ever made. I cannot think of an fps or shooter type with clunkier controls with full aimbot and radar. 

IamCourtney

I friggin' love the Ability Cards! I hope they plan to add more! A good solution for adding some of the variety and complexity that GTAO's vehicles and gadgets offer without detracting from the overall aesthetic of the game world.

Jason

There's some issues here and there with them but yea, ability cards are good IMO. They create different playstyles which is good for PvP and more challenging PvE content that is hopefully coming at some point. They aint really any more complex than say Call of Duty perks or something which people are well used to these days.

Ektope
1 hour ago, pro24 said:

Until there is a hardcore lobby, Im out.

No. From a game mechanics standpoint, it might be the lowest skill based shooter type game ever made. I cannot think of an fps or shooter type with clunkier controls with full aimbot and radar. 

GTA is the lowest skill based shooter. Why? Because headshots without protection is one shot kill. And you have access to automatic weapons. No need to pause a moment for circle to shrink for accurate shots.

P.T.
7 minutes ago, Ektope said:

GTA is the lowest skill based shooter. Why? Because headshots without protection is one shot kill. And you have access to automatic weapons. No need to pause a moment for circle to shrink for accurate shots.

Which means Rockstar owns the top 2 lowest skill based shooters...... congrats Rockstar! 

Many overlook the fact, its not only an issue that free aim is not in right now, but the fact we know there has been a ton of feedback asking for it and Rockstar just refuses to even acknowledge this at all. That is what is most disturbing. 

coach_wargo
2 hours ago, lordbancs said:

Why is everyone on about free aim? Is it for the challenge? Or is it because if the griefer had to free aim, he/she may reconsider?

Either way, free aim is unappealing to me. This game is like the wild west in that way, it's about who can draw faster.

quote-fast-is-fine-but-accuracy-is-every

Auto Aim in free roam and story missions is fine. Hell, I played the story with the assist on. But in PvP I hate it. Getting a kill isn't challenging, and being killed without a chance to react sucks. Not to mention the ridiculous flopping mechanic they implemented to break the lock. 

Lonely-Martin
3 hours ago, Jason said:

There's some issues here and there with them but yea, ability cards are good IMO. They create different playstyles which is good for PvP and more challenging PvE content that is hopefully coming at some point. They aint really any more complex than say Call of Duty perks or something which people are well used to these days.

I never played COD as I dislike PvP gaming in general. These cards are pointless to me for how I enjoy gaming, I'll not bother with those at all.

Not worried about advantages or disadvantages, just after some simple fun and co-op PvE with friends. GTA allowed that a lot, and went on to make so much money. That's the weird part for me here, it seems like they don't want PvE players, even though they added a slither of it. Same for free aim, just less choice for the player.

I feel it limits their earning potential and playerbase numbers a lot more than it could. Really feels like a huge backward step to see a 5+ year old experiment of an online in GTA to outshine this new modern one in RDR. They could make more by keeping it simple and flexible, and not to attract only the PvP gamers too much.

Plus as those cards force free aim, and me not interested in that, it only further pushes me away. I also feel as forced free aim is to be bought by those cards, it has less chance to be implemented as a lobby choice as it'll see the cards for it become defunct.

Just my take. I know PvP is key for many, but GTA:O thrives to this day with even public only crap that we can do alone too.

Feels like potential is so much more limited here right now. It's there, but GTA:O has more still. My thoughts is all. :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording.

Jason

Those cards have a lot of potential in PvE too.

There's cards that heal your team or improve your teams damage, cards that improve close quarter combat, long range, aggressive playstyles, cover based playstyles, horseback playstyles, etc etc.

If they make challenging group content then there's a lot of potential for creating builds that help you and your team in that content. Right now that's not really the case obviously, the only real use for the cards is PvP (showdowns and free roam), but the potential for PvE is huge too.

Ektope
12 minutes ago, Jason said:

There's cards that heal your team or improve your teams damage, cards that improve close quarter combat, long range, aggressive playstyles, cover based playstyles, horseback playstyles, etc etc.

If they make challenging group content then there's a lot of potential for creating builds that help you and your team in that content. Right now that's not really the case obviously, the only real use for the cards is PvP (showdowns and free roam), but the potential for PvE is huge too.

There isn't a card that improves damage over range. But the rest, yeah. The PvE content isn't worth my time for XP'ing. But I could do a lot of testing around with them, since I maxed 'em all out. But the ones like focus fire, peak condition, landon's patience, horseman. Those improve damage at any range, really.

Edited by Ektope

BUT THE BENZ

ability cards.... have 3 of those on tier 1, not gonna upgrade until I know actual percentages and numbers de/increasing

Lonely-Martin
10 minutes ago, Jason said:

Of course, anything is possible out there in future. That said, all that crap with those cards is just a ballache for me, I don't care to understand them, lol. I'd do fine without them and can ignore them and give myself/us more challenge to the PvE.

Just doesn't bode well as there's so little PvE on offer compared to PvP or potential PvP and that shows to be the focus. As I said earlier, we'll see how it grows, but that last R* post fills me with more trepidation than hope now. No mention of lobby choice was a huge one for me. The rest really doesn't matter or gets considered enough knowing I can't play how I prefer.

I went from eagerly anticipating and submitting feedback, to just 'meh' now. I've stopped trying or caring. What will be will be, I'm playing story and other games. I'll look again in the spring/summer, but expect my time is done. :(

rusbeckia
13 hours ago, P.T. said:

Which means Rockstar owns the top 2 lowest skill based shooters...... congrats Rockstar! 

Many overlook the fact, its not only an issue that free aim is not in right now, but the fact we know there has been a ton of feedback asking for it and Rockstar just refuses to even acknowledge this at all. That is what is most disturbing. 

„A ton of feedback“ 

sometimes the freeaim community appears to me as the glitching community. 

Make out 5% of the whole playerbase and think R* cares about them. lol

don‘t get me wrong. I‘d like it to be added for you people, but you make it look as if a fundamental feature is missing or sh*t. 

To be fair tho, for freeaimers it‘s a fundamental feature missing, I understand that.

Fact is however, most of the players don‘t give a damn about it and couldn‘t care less about it not being added, since RDO is way more than a „simple“ shooter, like BF, COD, Halo or whatever

R* never was about producing games that require the most skill. It‘s all about the fun and enjoyment of a somewhat wholesome world and not who is the best superkillersniperpsychofreeaimwarrior.

Edited by rusbeckia

Pocket Fox
11 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

R* never was about producing games that require the most skill. It‘s all about the fun and enjoyment of a somewhat wholesome world and not who is the best superkillersniperpsychofreeaimwarrior.

Yet GTAO and RDRO are synonymous with griefing  😛 There's even been a few articles written about how the wild 'kill everything you see' mentality is actually hurting these games.

I personally see the problem with being that it is such an easy and simple request. It's a feature present in previous games and it is not that hard to implement. It's not like people are asking for ranked PvP, leagues, MLG tournaments.

Just put free-aimers in a server with their own kind. 

rusbeckia
6 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

Yet GTAO and RDRO are synonymous with griefing  😛 There's even been a few articles written about how the wild 'kill everything you see' mentality is actually hurting these games.

GTAO to a bigger extent than RDRO imo. for now at least.. haha

I can understand that "kill everything you see" applies to GTA. I mean, GTA always was about being the badass criminal who doesn't give a damn about anything else. And it's okay to do that, but then the game needs to provide mechanics to prevent other players from destroying ones gaming experience. Maybe proximity blips and the wanted system will work as such kind of measure. It's intended to do that at least. 

And I'm definitely sure that the next GTA will bring a similar "anti-griefing"-system, where the one in RDR will be the blueprint for it. 

6 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

I personally see the problem with being that it is such an easy and simple request. It's a feature present in previous games and it is not that hard to implement. It's not like people are asking for ranked PvP, leagues, MLG tournaments.

I support that argument, that's the way I see it too. 

BUT THE BENZ

in previous games, the benz was in charge of design and development...now it's imran!

ALifeOfMisery
On 1/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, Jason said:

Law and Bounty Upgrades: Some changes are coming to the way the Law and Bounty systems work in Red Dead Online to reduce the enticements for griefing. Soon, players will get a bounty for committing crimes and will be incentivized to pay them off within an allotted time. Wait too long and bounty hunters from each of the states will track the player forcing them to either pay up or escape.

I've been thinking about this since the Newswire dropped.

On the face of it I like what R* are doing here. But it will be delicate to balance correctly.

Putting a bounty on a player who is killing every player they see is fine.

But what about the player on the way to a butcher after hunting? They see a blip a few yards away from the butcher, they watch for a moment, no movement, so they come in hot, preemptive kill so they don't lose their pelts. Are they to get a choice between a bounty that eats a chunk out of their hunting profits or risk letting the lurker shoot them before they can sell anything?

Like I say, in principle, I like the idea. I just hope I like it as much in practice.

Ektope
4 hours ago, rusbeckia said:

„A ton of feedback“ 

sometimes the freeaim community appears to me as the glitching community. 

Make out 5% of the whole playerbase and think R* cares about them. lol

don‘t get me wrong. I‘d like it to be added for you people, but you make it look as if a fundamental feature is missing or sh*t. 

To be fair tho, for freeaimers it‘s a fundamental feature missing, I understand that.

Fact is however, most of the players don‘t give a damn about it and couldn‘t care less about it not being added, since RDO is way more than a „simple“ shooter, like BF, COD, Halo or whatever

The last game I played, before RDR 2 and RDO. It was Gears of War 4. It was exclusively free aim. I'm not sure about the assists, but it only kicks in, in close quarter combat. In RDO in close quarter, all you gotta do is press RT and it'll automatically auto aim the opponent. When I started out in RDR 2 single player, I had free aim until the wolves 🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺 section. It was sooo hard and difficult in free aim. So that was the point when I decided to change to auto aim. But in the last game I played, auto aim would be called aimbot and considered as an offensive mod that works on PC. Because of console PC crossplay toggle. And here I am, playing RDO with aimbots! Omg. I must be cheating. I should be reported and banned. Seriously...? But the players in Gears in free aim, we were quite dead accurate with our aiming. I'm sure I can do the same in here too, for RDO. Or I may not be used to the third person sensitivity in free aim, but I was used to it in Gears and GTAO. I noticed that I had no problem headshotting people with my lancaster, outside auto aim range in showdown matches. So free aim could still work... and people don't have to keep doing this dumb "belly flopping".

Edited by Ektope

rusbeckia
11 minutes ago, Ektope said:

The last game I played, before RDR 2 and RDO. It was Gears of War 4. It was exclusively free aim. I'm not sure about the assists, but it only kicks in, in close quarter combat. In RDO in close quarter, all you gotta do is press RT and it'll automatically auto aim the opponent. When I started out in RDR 2 single player, I had free aim until the wolves 🐺 🐺 🐺 🐺 section. It was sooo hard and difficult in free aim. So that was the point when I decided to change to auto aim. But in the last game I played, auto aim would be called aimbot and considered as an offensive mod that works on PC. Because of console PC crossplay toggle. And here I am, playing RDO with aimbots! Omg. I must be cheating. I should be reported and banned. Seriously...? But the players in Gears in free aim, we were quite dead accurate with our aiming. I'm sure I can do the same in here too, for RDO. Or I may not be used to the third person sensitivity in free aim, but I was used to it in Gears and GTAO. I noticed that I had no problem headshotting people with my lancaster, outside auto aim range in showdown matches. So free aim could still work... and people don't have to keep doing this dumb "belly flopping".

I get you. The bellyflopping is hilarious. Noobs jumping around all the time, but getting killed anyway lol.

Dlow-1962
On 1/10/2019 at 10:53 AM, Hunterrrr said:

I will not be logging in until invite onlys are added. I'm sure there are others like me, R* is losing players. 

It's especially stupid because private lobbies are already in the game files, just need to be activated. 

I stopped playing two weeks ago, and will not visit the game until Invite onlys are added

P.T.
6 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

^ This person gets it. It is a simple add , since they have had it in the last RDR online and GTA V. Also both of those are their games so it stands to reason people would expect to see it. its an option . But one that makes a huge difference to people. 

I tried my best to enjoy the BR mode they added. Played two rounds.First round, i shot once, killed the guy , and the first person who actually saw me, 1 shot.... dead. The second round, i got on a horse and was going full speed..... blam..... headshoted with the first shot ( of someone not even that close to me ) ...... there is no fun in BS like that. Sorry but thats just lame as it gets to me. Im playing a western , im on a horse going full speed, and someone can head shot me with their first shot ..... gimme a break . Even the first round i played, there was no fun in killing that one guy , because it was way too easy . I shot 1 time.....maybe kids like that, but i sure dont.

Edited by P.T.

Dr.Rosenthal

I'm all for free aim lobbies even though I'll probably remain auto aim. I don't like how free aim works in R* games, other titles seem to get it much better.

You aim, nudging the right stick a little bit and the reticle hardly moves, so you nudge it 1/1000 mm more and suddenly the reticule flies across the screen.

Also, the term "marksman wiggle" comes back to mind, but in Red Dead free aim sessions, people would do the "lancaster wiggle". I don't know, the whole prospect doesn't appeal much to me. But whatever, I still think they should implement it for those of us who prefer it.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Van_Hellsing

If griefers still can camp out at the butcher shop, all so called anti griefing measures do mean Jack and sh#t. And Jack left town. 

Rockstar is very silent about invite only lobbies or passive mode. I still get disconnected from time to time. It's less, but I think it is due to less players traffic. 

ALifeOfMisery
13 minutes ago, Van_Hellsing said:

If griefers still can camp out at the butcher shop, all so called anti griefing measures do mean Jack and sh#t. And Jack left town

Yeah, I've asked for proximity blips via official feedback and Twitter, so I'm glad they're coming from the perspective of immersion. But, it's has to be implemented correctly. Otherwise, R* will be giving griefers a very early Christmas present. 

Blips on inside town borders would be my solution. 

17 minutes ago, Van_Hellsing said:

Rockstar is very silent about invite only lobbies 

Suspiciously quiet. It seems so widely requested and such an obvious thing to implement, which would please many players, that R*s silence on the subject makes me think that lobby type options aren't in the pipeline.

If they aren't on the agenda my playing days are numbered.

Lonely-Martin
5 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

I've been thinking about this since the Newswire dropped.

On the face of it I like what R* are doing here. But it will be delicate to balance correctly.

Putting a bounty on a player who is killing every player they see is fine.

But what about the player on the way to a butcher after hunting? They see a blip a few yards away from the butcher, they watch for a moment, no movement, so they come in hot, preemptive kill so they don't lose their pelts. Are they to get a choice between a bounty that eats a chunk out of their hunting profits or risk letting the lurker shoot them before they can sell anything?

Like I say, in principle, I like the idea. I just hope I like it as much in practice.

My thoughts on that stuff brings a fair question I think...

Do cops or bounties stop folk griefing in GTA?

Adding a bounty will be a badge of honour for some. And having NPC law attack players will be the aim too as it gives however much Xp to kill 'em, lol.

We'll see of course, but 'the law' is largely nothing to worry about in GTA. Am I right in thinking too many NPC's in one area makes the game unstable too? If so, they'll not be pounded by NPC's either. 

Hmmm. 

ALifeOfMisery
5 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

My thoughts on that stuff brings a fair question I think...

Do cops or bounties stop folk griefing in GTA?

Adding a bounty will be a badge of honour for some. And having NPC law attack players will be the aim too as it gives however much Xp to kill 'em, lol.

We'll see of course, but 'the law' is largely nothing to worry about in GTA. Am I right in thinking too many NPC's in one area makes the game unstable too? If so, they'll not be pounded by NPC's either. 

Hmmm. 

Oh, I've got no doubts regarding the badge of honour. We'll see YouTube videos of players proud of their big black omnipresent blip and their $1k bounty in every State. 

As much as I hate the laziness of it, I think R* will go down the route of Doomsday Heist style terminator NPC bounty hunters chasing players across State borders if they don't/can't pay the bounty. TBH I kind of hope this is the case when it comes to the "this lobby is mine" type players.