4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Cardiac

What a huge dissapointment

TheSadisticOwl
52 minutes ago, MarshDanni said:

I have to admit that even though I don't completely agree with OP I still believe that it's unacceptable to have less mission 'freedom' in 2018 with RDR2 then in 2001 with GTA III. We really shouldn't condone such flaws because it's pretty obvious that the game was unpolished, also if I'm not mistaken there was a talk that the game went through development hell and was redone several times which goes in line with what we got. Please don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still believe the missions were very, very poor from a gameplay perspective and somewhat story perspective.

This video sums up what you just said and my quarries with RDR2 and other recent Rockstar games perfectly. I reccomend everyone to give it a watch if possible.

Tonesta
1 hour ago, MarshDanni said:

I have to admit that even though I don't completely agree with OP I still believe that it's unacceptable to have less mission 'freedom' in 2018 with RDR2 than in 2001 with GTA III. We really shouldn't condone such flaws because it's pretty obvious that the game was unpolished, also if I'm not mistaken there was a talk that the game went through development hell and was redone several times which goes in line with what we got. Please don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still believe the missions were very, very poor from a gameplay perspective and somewhat story perspective.

I don't think anyone could argue anything other than that the vast majority of the missions in RDR2 are linear. They undoubtedly are - just as they were in GTAV.

But personally I don't think this was an accidental result of challenges in development. I think this is a conscious design choice.

With the missions, Rockstar seem to be consciously trying to make them as cinematic as possible. Big, impressive set pieces that play out like scenes from a movie. And I don't think you can take that approach and give the player the freedom to attack the mission any way they want to.

To pick one of the most obvious examples - in 'Pouring Forth Oil', they wanted to do the Jesse James homage. Arthur, in the dark, standing on top of the wagon in front of the train as it comes to a stop. But to get that cutscene to occur/make sense, you can't give the player the freedom to approach the mission how they want to. They need to place the wagon just here on the tracks, and stand on it just there. It's got to be on rails (literally).

The way I play - I view the world that Rockstar creates as a massive sandbox, for me to play in however I want to. Explore, help people, be a bastard, eat some catfish, drive a wagon off a cliff, whatever......freedom.

Then, periodically, I decide to go play a mission.....and when I do, I basically accept that for the next 5-40 minutes (depending on the mission length), I'm going to be in an interactive movie. And that's great - that's part of the game. I enjoy it. But it's only a part.....and if you don't like that part, well fine - you can pretty much ignore the main missions if you want to once you've reached the middle of Chapter 2 and have opened up most of the activities.

(this approach does mean that, in the end, it's going to take me about 200 hours of playing to finish the story, but hell - I say Value for Money!)

I absolutely get that other people don't enjoy the same things, and find these scripted missions frustratingly restrictive. But nowadays, that's what a Rockstar game is. And I doubt they're going to change the format whilst they're continuing to sell so many units, and getting such good reviews.

killahmatic
On 1/7/2019 at 4:24 PM, Cardiac said:

Following the story in this game make me feel like me as a player, have next to no control what so ever. Most of the mission are based on you following someone where you don't get to choose the pase, you're forced to walk in places and situations you don't want to,your loadout constantly gets changed into what R* decided you would want for the missions no matter how many f*cking times I change the loadout it's always different when I start the missions.

This game is phenomenal in my books. Sure, I have minor criticisms, but nothing came close to ruining the game for me. I think we can all agree that being shouted at by your gang to "Hurry up Authur" in every mission gets old quick. If you're just one step behind, you're being yelled at. If you're one step ahead, the characters just stand and wait for you to come back to them so they can then run ahead to where you already were. That should probably be something Rockstar fixes for their next game, but it didn't ruin anything for me. Just a minor annoyance. 

Overall, I feel that the story itself was the best of any R* game, and that's saying a lot. I was genuinely interested from start to finish. It helped that we knew some of the characters already, and most all of us had wondered what they were like before the events of RDR. 

Beyond the story, free roam is phenomenal. The most detailed map I've ever seen. So much to explore, so many animal and plant species to find. For me, RDR and GTA have always been about free roam. Missions can be great or awful, but free roam is ultimately what determines how long I'll play a game. My biggest criticism about RDR1 is that free roam was awful. It was a like sandbox without toys. With RDR2, hunting feels purposeful, as you can set up camp and cook your food. Fishing is just as fun if not more fun than dedicated fishing games. Canoeing is pretty fun, too. I really can't believe how well done this game is, and it's a shame other sandbox games never seem to come close to being as well done.

Marcinguy

I'm just wondering which games that have come out in the last few years have a great story and complete freedom to do what you want during missions. Honestly asking, because I can't think of one I've played except for maybe Dishonored 2 and Prey. Even those games were fairly linear though with a few of the typical be good/bad options.

Red Dead 2 seems to follow the same formula as games like the Last of Us when it comes to the story. Do the same criticisms apply between the two games? Are we saying the story sucks because there are no branching paths or something like that? What game has completely unscripted story missions in their design? I feel like I'm missing something here. It seems as though this game follows the same format as RDR1 actually. Don't remember having too many choices during the story missions then either. Maybe people just don't like the Rockstar formula, which is fine as well. We don't all like the same things. I was pretty pissed I didn't get to do some things during the story as well. I would have shot Micah well before CH 6.

Edit: Well I guess Witcher 3, which had a branching storyline requiring 2 playthroughs to see the deviations. So there is that one, but what else?

Edit 2: MGSV was actually panned by a lot of people for having an episodic structure to the story. Still, most of the missions played out one way in terms of the story. You complete an objective and then a cutscene plays, and then before the next segment starts, you're back on your chopper lol! You can go back to base and do other crap, and then hit the next episode and I suppose you are warped back in time to that exact moment in the story. It got major flak for that.

Watching that video posted above now and I guess I just don't agree with most of what the guy is saying. It's all just personal preference. He makes a few good points in general, and the rest is him just saying oh I prefer it this way not the way Rockstar does it. RDR2 has the same story structure as RDR1, but he says RDR1 offered more freedom during story missions. When? What mission? It was completely linear, as was GTAIV and GTAV. It's the forumula that Rockstar is known for and should be expected to have linear, set piece missions with cinematic camera shots. He is complaining about having too much money? Many people have complained it's too hard to make money, lol! 

Edited by Marcinguy

Tonesta
38 minutes ago, Marcinguy said:

I'm just wondering which games that have come out in the last few years have a great story and complete freedom to do what you want during missions. Honestly asking, because I can't think of one I've played except for maybe Dishonored 2 and Prey. Even those games were fairly linear though with a few of the typical be good/bad options.

Red Dead 2 seems to follow the same formula as games like the Last of Us when it comes to the story. Do the same criticisms apply between the two games? Are we saying the story sucks because there are no branching paths or something like that? What game has completely unscripted story missions in their design? I feel like I'm missing something here. It seems as though this game follows the same format as RDR1 actually. Don't remember having too many choices during the story missions then either. Maybe people just don't like the Rockstar formula, which is fine as well. We don't all like the same things. I was pretty pissed I didn't get to do some things during the story as well. I would have shot Micah well before CH 6.

Edit: Well I guess Witcher 3, which had a branching storyline requiring 2 playthroughs to see the deviations. So there is that one, but what else?

Whilst I now feel I'm arguing the opposite side from my previous posts......

.....I think that the criticism is less that the story doesn't branch, but that the individual missions themselves are completely on rails. And the old GTAs (i.e. IV and before) often, though not always, didn't do this.

Most GTAIV and before missions were 'Kill this guy'/'Steal this vehicle'/'Pickup this item' - you would head to the marker, and then you'd have to decide how to infiltrate the location and achieve that simple objective. There were often multiple ways to do it (quiet/loud/use different weapons/use different vehicles etc. etc.)

In GTAV/RDR2, in particular, the missions have changed.

To use the same example as I used earlier - in 'Pouring Forth Oil', under Rockstar's old scheme the mission would just have been 'Stop this train and steal everything on it'. How you did it would be up to you.

Now it's 'Drive the wagon to this spot', then watch a cut scene, then 'Walk through the train robbing the passengers', then watch Sean being a doofus then 'Kill the four guards in the baggage car', then 'Steal everything in baggage car', then another cut scene, then 'Kill the lawmen' then escape. It's much more scripted.

The advantage of the new approach is that it allows Rockstar to include a bunch of big cinematic visuals in their missions, and add some extra mission variety. The disadvantage is that there's less freedom in how you approach each individual mission.

Personally, I like it - I free roam for freedom, and do missions expecting an 'on rails' cinematic experience. But other players seem to hate that.

Edited by Tonesta

Cutter De Blanc

They weren't changing your weapon loadout and making you slow walk 

It's like they're really f*cking obvious about not letting the player have any control this time

Marcinguy
21 minutes ago, Tonesta said:

.....I think that the criticism is less that the story doesn't branch, but that the individual missions themselves are completely on rails. And the old GTAs (i.e. IV and before) often, though not always, didn't do this.

Most GTAIV and before missions were 'Kill this guy'/'Steal this vehicle'/'Pickup this item' - you would head to the marker, and then you'd have to decide how to infiltrate the location and achieve that simple objective. There were often multiple ways to do it (quiet/loud/use different weapons/use different vehicles etc. etc.)

To use the same example as I used earlier - in 'Pouring Forth Oil', under Rockstar's old scheme the mission would just have been 'Stop this train and steal everything on it'. How you did it would be up to you.

Now it's 'Drive the wagon to this spot', then watch a cut scene, then 'Walk through the train robbing the passengers', then watch Sean being a doofus then 'Kill the four guards in the baggage car', then 'Steal everything in baggage car', then another cut scene, then 'Kill the lawmen' then escape. It's much more scripted.

The advantage of the new approach is that it allows Rockstar to include a bunch of big cinematic visuals in their missions, and add some extra mission variety. The disadvantage is that there's less freedom in how you approach each individual mission.

Personally, I like it - I free roam for freedom, and do missions expecting an 'on rails' cinematic experience. But other players seem to hate that.

Good points for sure. It would pretty hard to be cinematic and also allow that sort of freedom. Same with a game like say, Last of Us, which is beloved for it's story and considered an all time great. In my personal opinion, I guess I don't really care about having the freedom to do that mission in a different location. I just figure main missions are scripted to control the story and emotional impact and all that, while free roam is for doing what you want. That's pretty much the Rockstar mantra since even GTA SA if I think about it. I spent hours taking over LA territory in the beginning only to lose it all because the cops run you out of town. That kind of pissed me off and felt like a total waste of time but that was how the story just played out no matter what.

So, I guess it's just what a particular gamer actually wants out of a game. Most open world games operate semi linearly though when it comes to experiencing the story. At least the ones I've played. I just recently played Yakuza 0 and the Yakuza 2 remake. Great games, but so freaking linear as well. I have a buddy who plays only nba 2k all year round. Seriously, that's all he plays all year and then buys the new edtion every year. He's perfectly happy doing just that. Just shows how many different types of gamers there are. I have another buddy who was pissed at me for recommending RDR1 years ago. He was all "why do I have to go somewhere to start a mission!" LOL. He likes linear, cinematic games that you can complete within 8 to 10 hours and hates any open world game actually. As a matter of fact, he would be one to call this game a "horse riding simulator" for sure.

I'd like to just leave it at it's all up to one's preference here. What one gamer hates is perfectly fine with another and vice versa.

Edited by Marcinguy

O.Z
17 minutes ago, Tonesta said:

If you want an on rails cinematic experience you should go and buy one of “Naughty Dogs” games.

Free roaming in RDR2 is second to none in my opinion, but the on rails story missions are just garbage and should not be Rockstar’s style going forward. 

If I want a good cinematic experience, I watch a movie. Simples!

Tonesta
2 minutes ago, Marcinguy said:

I have a buddy who plays only nba 2k all year round. Seriously, that's all he plays all year and then buys the new edtion every year. He's perfectly happy doing just that.

Actually I can understand because that basically used to be me. I'd play NCAA Football in the winter, and The Show in the summer, and that would keep me perfectly content.

Then in 2012, I was introduced by a friend to Rockstar's open worlds via GTA3 and the rest is history!

(that, and the fact that NCAA Football stopped being made.....thanks Ed O'Bannon! [p.p.s. I know it's not really his fault, and the fault of the NCAA system in general......])

Marcinguy
2 minutes ago, O.Z said:

If you want an on rails cinematic experience you should go and buy one of “Naughty Dogs” games.

Free roaming in RDR2 is second to none in my opinion, but the on rails story missions are just garbage and should not be Rockstar’s style going forward. 

Nah, Rockstar should keep doing what makes it tons of money, which are games like GTA, RDR1, and RDR2. Games that sell millions of copies and then continue to sell in the top ten for a year or more! 

Tonesta
5 minutes ago, O.Z said:

Says you.

I'd argue that there's plenty of players that like the new Rockstar-style of cinematic missions and limitless free roam. The sales rather indicate that.

Plus everything I've ever read about the Housers suggest that they looooove their cinematic set pieces.

Marcinguy
44 minutes ago, Tonesta said:

Actually I can understand because that basically used to be me. I'd play NCAA Football in the winter, and The Show in the summer, and that would keep me perfectly content.

Then in 2012, I was introduced by a friend to Rockstar's open worlds via GTA3 and the rest is history!

(that, and the fact that NCAA Football stopped being made.....thanks Ed O'Bannon! [p.p.s. I know it's not really his fault, and the fault of the NCAA system in general......])

Me too. As a matter of fact I used to only play sports games and rarely played story based games with a few exceptions. NCAA was also an obsession for me as was the PES soccer series during the PS1/PS2 era. But over time I've learned apprecation for all sorts of genres. Now I have a system where I'll play one sports game and one story/open world game at any given time. Right now it's RDR2 and NBA 2k19, which is actually freaking great. I guess it's good to have wide variety of tastes for gaming. I've got Hitman 2 in the pipeline next but who knows when i'll finally get bored of RDR2.

Edited by Marcinguy

Miamivicecity
6 hours ago, Tonesta said:

The way I see it is there's nothing wrong being linear when it's to serve a key point in the story. Think of the mission "Uncle Vlad" in GTA IV. I remember a lot of people complaining about this that you couldn't take out Vlad during the chase because his car became invincible, but giving the player the option to kill him beforehand would've bypassed Niko's eventual revelation to Roman and the entire purpose of GTA IV's story. In this instance there had to be some level of scripting.

Infact and I would say this is true for most people that most of their favourite missions from the GTA series would be the ones that are the most scripted due to being set pieces where having multiple ways of completing them wouldn't be possible from a deisgn perspective. However I think the main issue people take with games like GTA V and hell as much as I love Red Dead Redemption 2 are their ridiculous fail states where you can fail them for the most minor of reasons if you don't follow the exact thing being instructed. I'm also not a fan of the way the games take away basic controls like movement and feeling like it's taking over. That's just wrong IMO. I understand that not all missions are catered for multiple approaches, but forced movement was introduced in GTA V and it's annoyed me ever since.

Overall I think R* need to find the right balance again. I don't want them to adopt the Ubisoft model to missions where they give complete freedom and it just makes them dull and forgettable in the long run, but they also need to ease up with some of the really tight constraints that weren't present in older games. We all love cinematic missions and we can't expect them to always give 10 different ways to approach them, but some of the design choices have become really worrying since GTA V and they need a rethink I feel to get the balance again of the 3D era/GTA IV.

3Prcntr

Every game has bugs. But yes, there are a lot. Pretty weird ones too. Somehow I got the survivalist off hand holster, the raven claw on my primary holster and a unique feather in my hat without actually unlocking anything. I also have two of the same repeaters and my horse is a f*cken idiot who has jumped off a cliff twice. There are tons of other bugs too, that make playing a bit awkward and terrible at times, but overall, it's a great game. Can't wait for it on PC - to bask in all it's glory without terrible shadows and better lighting with AA @ 60FPS.

Also, there are TONS of random things happening. The only sh*tty part is it's extremely easy to miss 90% of them. Unless you play so slow and use a guide, you are going to miss a lot. I know I may catch some flak for it, but I liked the way assassins creed games playthrough. I was kind of hoping for a bit of structure like that. My first playthrough I missed tons of stuff. Now I am heavy into using guides and staying on top of new info to try and get the full experience... that said, it kind of ruins the full experience. If I already know what is going to happen because that is the only way to find out about some of the stuff that is so easily missable, then it kind of dulls the experience. Still, I do enjoy it, very much.

PC release 2022 - but delayed til 2023. Can't wait.

Edited by 3Prcntr

MarshDanni
1 hour ago, Miamivicecity said:

The way I see it is there's nothing wrong being linear when it's to serve a key point in the story. Think of the mission "Uncle Vlad" in GTA IV. I remember a lot of people complaining about this that you couldn't take out Vlad during the chase because his car became invincible, but giving the player the option to kill him beforehand would've bypassed Niko's eventual revelation to Roman and the entire purpose of GTA IV's story. In this instance there had to be some level of scripting.

Infact and I would say this is true for most people that most of their favourite missions from the GTA series would be the ones that are the most scripted due to being set pieces where having multiple ways of completing them wouldn't be possible from a deisgn perspective. However I think the main issue people take with games like GTA V and hell as much as I love Red Dead Redemption 2 are their ridiculous fail states where you can fail them for the most minor of reasons if you don't follow the exact thing being instructed. I'm also not a fan of the way the games take away basic controls like movement and feeling like it's taking over. That's just wrong IMO. I understand that not all missions are catered for multiple approaches, but forced movement was introduced in GTA V and it's annoyed me ever since.

Overall I think R* need to find the right balance again. I don't want them to adopt the Ubisoft model to missions where they give complete freedom and it just makes them dull and forgettable in the long run, but they also need to ease up with some of the really tight constraints that weren't present in older games. We all love cinematic missions and we can't expect them to always give 10 different ways to approach them, but some of the design choices have become really worrying since GTA V and they need a rethink I feel to get the balance again of the 3D era/GTA IV.

I think you're right, the fact is that even during missions it shouldn't be a practice to force a gameplay mehanic just because it can serve the story more (excluding key story moments as you said). That is in my opinion lazy development and really you're having the same experience in a game as other players. I don't mean that it doesn't work in other games, far from that. I believe that in GTA and RDR (I say these two because out of all series R* produced they are most alike) you should have your own experience as much as possible gameplay wise while still having similiar story outcome.

Even though they started to make forced parts of the story in GTA V I still prefer how they made it that you have very different outcomes at the end where you choose how it could end depending on your own preference. And you have your reasons why you chose what you chose. GTA IV even made it that you have two very different endings (character wise) depending on what you as a player want and that was 11 years ago almost. RDR does have a bigger emphasis on story than GTA, but I believe that they could still made it so that you can change Arthur's destiny with your own actions in game. Especially how it's a prequel which doesn't take much from the original story or character wise in a way there are a lot of them that aren't even mention in the first game. That produces a opportunity to develop something to cater a broader audience of players. Make the character closer to the player, don't alienate him.

MidworldDrifter

It's a really good game with a few flaws that are holding it back. I think they overdid Arthur's sluggishness, I get that he is an aging gunslinger but he moves like a turtle during combat which isn't fun with nimble enemies around. Joel in TLOU was slow but controlling him felt responsive if that makes sense.

Also they haven't fixed the invisible Arthur glitch that happened in Chapter 3, which is pretty game breaking imo.

Edited by MidworldDrifter

Slappy212
9 hours ago, Marcinguy said:

Edit 2: MGSV was actually panned by a lot of people for having an episodic structure to the story. Still, most of the missions played out one way in terms of the story. You complete an objective and then a cutscene plays, and then before the next segment starts, you're back on your chopper lol! You can go back to base and do other crap, and then hit the next episode and I suppose you are warped back in time to that exact moment in the story. It got major flak for that.

Watching that video posted above now and I guess I just don't agree with most of what the guy is saying. It's all just personal preference. He makes a few good points in general, and the rest is him just saying oh I prefer it this way not the way Rockstar does it. RDR2 has the same story structure as RDR1, but he says RDR1 offered more freedom during story missions. When? What mission? It was completely linear, as was GTAIV and GTAV. It's the forumula that Rockstar is known for and should be expected to have linear, set piece missions with cinematic camera shots. He is complaining about having too much money? Many people have complained it's too hard to make money, lol! 

I was going to piece-meal quote you and say Witcher 3, lol. But really, I think the game Rockstar would best benefit from here is Deus Ex. Add a little systemic variety in the way a player can complete missions. Non-linear mission design. It's already kind of in line with what they do. 

gtafaninwest

Only thing I didn't like was the medal achievement. 

silly_nate
On 1/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Cardiac said:

This game gets 2/5 potatoes

Bruh 💀💀💀

scotthedge12
On 1/7/2019 at 4:24 PM, Cardiac said:

Let me start off with saying, there's some really amazing things in this game. The graphics and world is really nice. The random events occouring around can lead to some pretty intresting unexpected things. But damn, what a huge f*cking dissapointment this game was. 

There's so many buggs and and so many things that feels like they're "half-done", like R* didn't really put enough time into polishing the final product. 

Been spending the past few days "forcing" myself through the story mode simply because I like the story itself and I want to know where it all ends up. I'm about done now, think  I've done about 90% of the story but damn, I feel so f*cking frustrated playing this game I just had to write it off on here. 

Following the story in this game make me feel like me as a player, have next to no control what so ever. Most of the mission are based on you following someone where you don't get to choose the pase, you're forced to walk in places and situations you don't want to,your loadout constantly gets changed into what R* decided you would want for the missions no matter how many f*cking times I change the loadout it's always different when I start the missions. The story is full of moments where you as a player, don't really do anything at all except you have to keep a button ("X" or "(L)" for e.g.) to have what's basically a cinimatic rolling wich to me is just f*cking annoying. Even played this one mission yesterday, where John build the freakin' house and you're suppose to press "X" in to hammer the damn nails down. Doesn't even matter if you press "X", he slams them down anyway. Like what's the f*cking point of even having that sh*t?

I've spent most of my time playing RDO even though it's complete f*cking trash at the moment wich is fine I guess considering it's BETA still but damn, after playing the Story now, what a huge f*cking dissapointment this game is. I think R* would've needed another year or so to finish this product. Maybe then this game wouldn't have been such a sh*tshow. 

This game gets 2/5 potatoes and that's being generous 'cause of the nice graphics but damn, gameplay and gaming experience 0/5. What a joke.

Games a masterpiece, you're the disappointment