3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Cardiac

What a huge dissapointment

Cardiac

Let me start off with saying, there's some really amazing things in this game. The graphics and world is really nice. The random events occouring around can lead to some pretty intresting unexpected things. But damn, what a huge f*cking dissapointment this game was. 

There's so many buggs and and so many things that feels like they're "half-done", like R* didn't really put enough time into polishing the final product. 

Been spending the past few days "forcing" myself through the story mode simply because I like the story itself and I want to know where it all ends up. I'm about done now, think  I've done about 90% of the story but damn, I feel so f*cking frustrated playing this game I just had to write it off on here. 

Following the story in this game make me feel like me as a player, have next to no control what so ever. Most of the mission are based on you following someone where you don't get to choose the pase, you're forced to walk in places and situations you don't want to,your loadout constantly gets changed into what R* decided you would want for the missions no matter how many f*cking times I change the loadout it's always different when I start the missions. The story is full of moments where you as a player, don't really do anything at all except you have to keep a button ("X" or "(L)" for e.g.) to have what's basically a cinimatic rolling wich to me is just f*cking annoying. Even played this one mission yesterday, where John build the freakin' house and you're suppose to press "X" in to hammer the damn nails down. Doesn't even matter if you press "X", he slams them down anyway. Like what's the f*cking point of even having that sh*t?

I've spent most of my time playing RDO even though it's complete f*cking trash at the moment wich is fine I guess considering it's BETA still but damn, after playing the Story now, what a huge f*cking dissapointment this game is. I think R* would've needed another year or so to finish this product. Maybe then this game wouldn't have been such a sh*tshow. 

This game gets 2/5 potatoes and that's being generous 'cause of the nice graphics but damn, gameplay and gaming experience 0/5. What a joke.

Smokewood

I can't share your opinion... I think the game is a goddamn masterpiece.

Spaghetti Cat

Let me start off with saying TL;DR...

PapasHota

The missions sure looks like it was developed by Quantic Dreams.

simpjkee

I read your whole post... what a huge disappointment.

jje1000
3 hours ago, Smokewood said:

I can't share your opinion... I think the game is a goddamn masterpiece.

Gonna stop you right there- it's better to think of RDRII as an exemplary piece of art, world-building and story-telling, but one that falls short in a few areas, and could be even better in others.

In fact, thinking that it's not a masterpiece but almost-there makes you eager to see what Rockstar has in store for it, and what PC mods can turn it into a masterpiece.

anthony

Yes the missions are pretty scripted and the auto-weapon loadout is annoying.

Now that you've finished the story why don't you explore the world, there is many places to explore, things and people to find.

wangsparkinglot

Oh another one of these threads

ok

XAIKON

A few things done exceptionally well, then 100's of things done half-assed, broken, glitched, and unfinished or with no real point whatsoever. A good example of this is the reddit 'secrets and mysteries megathread' - where thousands of people are thinking all these weird occurences are some sort of elaborate easter-egg, when they are just the 100's broken scripts and coding strings. It is driving people crazy - Most threads are "This strange thing happenned, could this be the answer to IKZ mystery or clues to a third UFO?" NO, its just a broken mechanic, glitched texture, or seemingly half implemented secret..... I mean seriously, the audio is bugged so bad, john can start talking as jack, or even in spanish, which has everyone going "proof of RDR! remaster DLC!" Imagine if half this crap hapenned in fallout 76 or some other game already getting bashed, it would be copping it for what these things are - messy glitches everywhere in a AAA game that took 8 years with thousands of employees to make, even delaying it fore two fu**ing years for 'further polish'.

There is a good reason why R* and all paid review sites emphasize 'taking it slow', its because they know if you try to play with any sort of pace or fluidity.... your going to get MEGA FU**ING frustrated!

But just you Wait until you have finished the story - it is one of things done exceptionally well. However, when that and all stranger missions and random encounters are done, you are left with pretty much just great graphics and world building as the only strong positive. I have played through the story twice, both times I planned to do a lot of exploring after, but damn, literally can't get motivated to play more than 5 minutes because all the BADLY done things are no longer masked by the great main character and story.

Miamivicecity

If woggleman was still here he'd be licking his lips with satisfication I'm sure. Anyhow I honestly don't share the same sentiment. I'm playing through the story again and still enjoying it as much as the first time.

Bugs/glitches have been R* common fare as long as I've been a fan of them for (The GTA series is full of them). In all the hours I've played it I haven't come across any game breaking ones or any worse than R*'s games of the past. Infact some of them have been rather hilarious. Yes it's unauthordox to think about, but I don't see what makes the game anymore buggy/glitchy than the majority of AAA open world games are.

I suppose it's not the game for everyone and that's fine, but a sh*tshow? Far from it.

cowboy killa

welp

DarksunDaFirst

I can't share the same sentiment either.  The game does a lot of things exceptionally well and while I would have liked some of the survival mechanics to have greater meaning, understanding that the middle road approach has always been R*'s MO when it comes to these things in their game worlds - nice to partake, not required (but a minor penalty that is an inconvenience at most).

As for the bugs and glitches...

1 hour ago, XAIKON said:

Imagine if half this crap hapenned in fallout 76 or some other game already getting bashed, it would be copping it for what these things are - messy glitches everywhere in a AAA game that took 8 years with thousands of employees to make, even delaying it fore two fu**ing years for 'further polish'.

Don't compare RDR2 to Fallout 76.  There is no comparasion - Fallout 76 is not your typical Bethesda bugfest, and I've been a staunch defender of them for over a decade.  They have no excuse for that piece of crap.  RDR2 on the other hand?  Their glitches and bugs are EXTREMELY rare, and most of them are a result of people intentionally going out of their way to test the games limits (and guess what, try hard enough you can "break" any game).  You don't even need to try to encounter major bugs in 76.  

This whole thread seems like a copout for a few people that really just want to trash the game and nitpick at it's few flaws.  And they REALLY have to try to break it down...compared to say FO76, where try as you might you can't avoid it's problems.

O.Z
Posted (edited)

Hmm... I do agree with the original poster about the missions being too heavily scripted, in fact I can’t think of a Rockstar game with more linear missions than RDR2. 

This is one of the reasons why I don’t have any desire to have a 2nd play through anytime soon(definitely not this year) as I just can’t be arsed to go it through again knowing the missions can only go one way....

That however has not stopped me playing the game, I finished the story ages ago, to me it’s secondary, what sets RDR2 apart is the massive and immersive sandbox game experience, it’s like living in a Westworld. The atmosphere is second to none, I will be playing this game for years to come, just free roaming and doing random stuff.

I finished the story in about 58hours. Since that, I have now totalled 221hours in single player.

Edited by O.Z

Implicitly

I love the game, one of my absolute favourite's in a long time it actually made me start using console when I never use consoles. There are issues with it though. Some of the story irks me... Same with the mission railroading. When I first played there was a lot of bugs too, so I don't disagree on that, but what game isn't filled with bugs?

Boozey St James
Posted (edited)

This game helped restore my faith in story driven games. One of the best games I've ever played and got to experience.

Yes, the game has some bugs and kinks that need to be ironed out but so do all games; even the Witcher 3! That game had bugs but damn, was it a good game! 

I'm sorry you feel that way about RDR2- but I get it; it's not everyone's cup of tea. 

Edited by Boozey St James
Clarification

SeniorDerp

For me, if you let go of the way you wanted to play and progress the story the way R* wanted to tell it, its fantastic. They’re telling a specific story about the gangs break down and the situations Arthur found himself in. It needed to be a bit linear, it is a prequel after all. I groaned at the start of the Epilogue but once I progressed through it became apparent it was to tell the story of how Marston got to be the man he was in 1911 and it did a great job. The weapon loadout was annoying but didn’t ruin the experience and I ran into very minimal bugs and only one time in 180hrs have I found a situation where the game became unplayable. 

Pressure Drop

You are clearly trolling, this thread belongs in the bitch and moan thread. 0/5 for gameplay experience? GTFOutta here

Urban Legends

Whaaa yes I've come across some funny glitches.. But this game is a Rockstar man.. I see so much in this production. When I play other games its like "Okay, this is Dirt 4 - I get to drive"

"Okay - Battlefield - Guns"

Red Dead 2 is like 7 games put together..

Trying replaying the game and antagonize everyone and everything..beating the game with next to 0 honor and bounties everywhere. Arthur makes more sense like this. 5 bounty men come for your head so every 15 mins you get free loot!

Nutduster
Posted (edited)

Rockstar games have some bugs in them, film at 11

Oh wait: all big and complicated games have some bugs in them, film at 11

The game is fine.  I don't know why people love bitching so much about things that are really, really good but not perfect.  It's not possible to make a game of this scope without dozens of little things that could be better, but in the end you should play it for the huge world, the atmosphere, the crazy physics, the characters, the story and the endless systems you can have fun with. It delivers in spades on all those fronts IMO.  I am willing to put up with the occasional bug*, janky control, or underwhelming mechanic as a result.

* Should note: in dozens and dozens of hours of play time, I ran into maybe 10 bugs, most of them quite trivial. The Uncle mission/camp bug (now patched) was the only big thing. Other than that, I saw birds perched in non-existent trees a couple times, I saw a horse propped up on its hind legs in defiance of physics, and a few other things like that.  99% of the time the game worked as intended, which beats the hell out of any Bethesda game (to name just one other developer splashing around in similar waters as Rockstar).

Edited by Nutduster

HockeyMike24

Although I think the OP is exaggerating a bit, he's not wrong and the things he mentioned can be frustrating at times.

The story always forces a weapon loadout you didn't want for missions. The game is incomplete/not polished and that shows in the flawed weapon system, the online and the map. Even the epilogue feels like an after thought. I do agree that R* should have taken up to another year to continue polishing the games mechanics allowing you to change holster layout or even remove weapons from your inventory. It's still an amazing game but the few issues this game does have are very noticable.

Haha365

Maybe some good points,  but still better quality than most games on 2018. Subjectively speaking, while there are some disappointments, it's been a fantastic experience.

Marcinguy

Compared to most games that I've seen come out for ps4, I'd say this is one of the very best despite the few issues the game clearly has. The op says there are "some" amazing things in this game and many flaws, but I would argue the opposite. The game has many amazing things and a few issues that hold back the gameplay a bit while other things like the pace of the game are simply up to preference. For a game world of this size and scope it's actually pretty well polished.

A lot of people don't play say Fortnite but not because it's a bad game. It's just not the style of game they prefer. The new COD didn't even have single player and it's selling as well as ever and apparently plays greater then any previous version. For all the flak NBA 2k has received the last few years, it's still as popular as ever with people completely addicted to the online component as well as offline play. Every game has a percentage of detractors and people who genuinely do not like this style of play. The internet brings them all to the front to rant the loudest.

To say RDR2 is a joke or a trash game just because of a few small bugs, linear story, or slow pace is pretty disingenous though in my opinion. Maybe the game shouldn't be up a 97 but you can blame that on publications who continue to use an outdated number system for their reviews. I think it's overall one of the best games I've ever played actually. Love the slow pace and I actually love how the guns feel in the game, especially the revolvers. Gunplay seems perfectly fine to me after tweaking the controls to my preferences a bit. 

Anyway, I agree with what someone above stated. This should all be sent over to the B&M thread. It's the same recycled tale that appears here like every 3 days.

Miamivicecity
On 1/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, HockeyMike24 said:

Although I think the OP is exaggerating a bit, he's not wrong and the things he mentioned can be frustrating at times.

The story always forces a weapon loadout you didn't want for missions. The game is incomplete/not polished and that shows in the flawed weapon system, the online and the map. Even the epilogue feels like an after thought. I do agree that R* should have taken up to another year to continue polishing the games mechanics allowing you to change holster layout or even remove weapons from your inventory. It's still an amazing game but the few issues this game does have are very noticable.

No one's saying the issues aren't noticeable, but who's to say delaying yet for another year would've ironed these out? It was already delayed twice so it's not like they didn't try to polish it the best it could've been for release. I think the flaws with the weapon system could be handled with a patch/update really.

IMO the problem with games like this is people expect them to be 100% flawless and there should be no imperfections at all. While that would be nice it's simply not how game design/development works. For the size, scope and even ambition it's quite remarkable how polished it is, but yes there's bound to be some things slip through the cracks here and there.

anthony
On 1/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, HockeyMike24 said:

I agree.

Just to name some; flaws in the wanted system, broken train robberies, impatient AI among other things, auto-loadout during missions, missions super scripted, time cycle and volumetric clouds moving way too fast, basic things like removing the off hand holster and the satchel, pulling out a weapon at any time in a store without being forced to aim at the clerk, need to hold up a whole store if you want to steel let's say a few can of food from shelves etc.

I've never played God of War but if I would have been a judge at the GOTY I would have not voted for RDR2, there is too many important flaws in major area for this game to be Game of the Year.

Edited by anthony

Jimbatron

For me it was anything but at didsapointment. I’ve been blown away by how interactive the world is and how good the story is.

For sure there are a few bit here and there that could be better, mostly around the horse riding for me.NPCs on horseback turns into you rather than away from you. But I guarantee it’s the same algorithm they use for cars in GTA V. I used to think they were trying to make driving harder by making collisions more likely, but now you see the exact same think in RDR2 you know it’s flawed coding rather than intentional. Similarly you can seem so suffer controlled lock out at times where the game forces you to turn into a tree etc.

So the game has a few imperfections here and there, I could go on and list a few more, but it would feel a bit nit picking. A bit like being offered a ride in a super car and declining because you don’t like the shape of the wing mirrors or the colour of the break callipers.

Jimmy

It's a huge game and there will be issues to iron out here and there. The issue with people generally is lack of features. The game is anything buy disappointing. There are a ton of features, high amount of interactive features and activities and lots to do in Single Player. Patience is all you need. There will always be bugs. Every game does. GTA V had a lot of bugs to start with. It feels like the amount of tolerance has decreased with people with passage of time. Story mode is great TBH and this is my 2nd attempt at it (currently on my friend's X1). The amount of issues are no deal breaker and overall don't ruin the gaming experience.

Urban Legends

Blackjack dealer says to me.. "What? Was you hoping I'd fall asleep?" Sitting at his table a second too long.. First dialogue from an NPC after that..  Slurred as hell... I'm drunk as a skunk.. Nothing at all wrong with this game. Isn't it fun beta testing new games? 

MarshDanni

I have to admit that even though I don't completely agree with OP I still believe that it's unacceptable to have less mission 'freedom' in 2018 with RDR2 than in 2001 with GTA III. We really shouldn't condone such flaws because it's pretty obvious that the game was unpolished, also if I'm not mistaken there was a talk that the game went through development hell and was redone several times which goes in line with what we got. Please don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still believe the missions were very, very poor from a gameplay perspective and somewhat story perspective.

Edited by MarshDanni

Urban Legends

Yea a little bit...but RDR2 makes other games look like a weekend project. 

I literall just threw a Lemoyne Raider out the f*cking window at the saloon in Rhodes.. Im in chapter 3 with a mission for Bill.. This game is insane. Maybe its your brain thats.l limited? 😂 

Edited by Urban Legends
*video upon request*

O.Z
36 minutes ago, MarshDanni said:

I have to admit that even though I don't completely agree with OP I still believe that it's unacceptable to have less mission 'freedom' in 2018 with RDR2 then in 2001 with GTA III. We really shouldn't condone such flaws because it's pretty obvious that the game was unpolished, also if I'm not mistaken there was a talk that the game went through development hell and was redone several times which goes in line with what we got. Please don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I still believe the missions were very, very poor from a gameplay perspective and somewhat story perspective.

Agreed, RDR2 has the most linear missions of any Rockstar game to date. In fact they are pretty poor IMO...