2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Things Arthur can never get (for completionists)

Kirk Lazarus

Kirk Lazarus

Spoilers obvious!  This info can be found elsewhere on the web.  I made this collection of info for 1-page reference and thought to share it.

Spoiler

The Chapter 4 Bronte glitch lets you explore the old west New Austin areas as Arthur.  With this in mind, you can get closer to doing almost everything as Arthur.

Items you can NEVER GET until you play as John...

Animals:

• Rufus (dog)

Weapons:

• John's Cattleman Revolver
  • John's Knife
  • Micah's Revolver

Clothing (Blackwater Tailor)

• The McLaughlin
  • The Josiah
  • The Farrier
  • The Donegal

Hunting Request #5 from Ms. L Hobbs (taxidermist)

• Squirrel Statue

Legendary Channel Catfish invite:

• Special Spinner Lure

Thing you CAN NOW get as Arthur with this glitch...

All the Challenges, rewarding you with the Legend of the East outfit. 

Challenges difficult or impossible without this glitch:

• Herbalist 9 -- Pick one of each specials of herb (43, some only available in New Austin)
  • Horseman 9 -- Ride from Van Horn to Blackwater in under 17 minutes without touching any water
  • Horseman 10 -- wild Mustang and Hungarian Halfbred broken

Weapons:

• Jawbone Knife (finding all Dinosaur Bones)
  • Otis Miller's Revolver (treasure map reward)

Clothing:

• The Armadillo
  • The Bulldogger
  • The Ranch Hand
  • The Scrapper
  • The Cowpuncher
  • The Drifter
  • The Leatherman
  • The Tumbleweed

Arthur can explore New Austin to find these animals for the Zoologist & Skin Deep trophies:

• Nine-Banded Armadillo
  • Greater Prairie Chicken
  • Californian Condor
  • Siberian Husky
  • Banded Gila Monster
  • Desert Iguana
  • Collared Peccary (pig)
  • Californian Horned Owl
  • Sonoran Pronghorn Buck
  • Sonoran Pronghorn Doe
  • Baja California Pronghorn Buck
  • Baja California Pronghorn Doe
  • Sierra Nevada Bighorn Ram
  • Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep
  • Desert Bighorn Ram
  • Desert Bighorn Sheep
  • Black-tailed Rattlesnake
  • Sonoran Desert Toad
  • Rio Grande Wild Turkey
  • Legendary Tatanka Bison
  • Legendary Cougar
  • Legendary Pronghorn

Other items difficult or impossible until Chapter 6 (doesn't involve the glitch):

• Legendary Bull Gator
  • Alligator Tooth Talisman
  • Sharpshooter Challenge -- Shoot 3 people's hats off with the same Dead Eye
  • Owl Feather Trinket (from Archelogy For Beginners)

Edited by alz

Cutter De Blanc

Arthur also cannot encounter the Skinner Brothers or the Laramie Boys

• Like 2

Cutter De Blanc

For reference, the five plants in New Austin are Wild Feverfew, Desert Sage, Blackcurrant, English Mace, and Red Sage.

Prairie Poppy can only be found in The Great Plains but is obtainable without the glitch

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
  • Like 3

Kirk Lazarus
1 hour ago, scotthedge12 said:

do you need to do the glitch to break the horses that spawn around new Austin as Arthur?

No, the glitch doesn't help the horse challenge.  It removes the constant killing attacks that let you roam the area to find horses though.

I completed horseman challenge 10 with Arthur without using the glitch, you can find the Hungarian Half-bred and the Mustang in the new map too.

Edited by Mafia Assassin®

Currently playing Polybius

Kirk Lazarus
49 minutes ago, Mafia Assassin® said:

I completed horseman challenge 10 with Arthur without using the glitch, you can find the Hungarian Half-bred and the Mustang in the new map too.

Any particular spots?  :)

Let's not forget the 2 gang hideouts not available as Arthur.

Edited by Ayesha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alz said:

It's been a while since I did the challenge, so I don't remember very well, but I'll see if I can find a video.

Darealbandicoot

Arthur can get the Blackwater exclusive outfits as well. You either have to do an extremely difficult glitch as John to rewind the story (losing your inventory in the process) to play as Arthur again or use a save editor. The outfits in the Blackwater tailor are clearly meant for Arthu as well as John's outfit can't be equipped from the "outfits" section by Arthur like these can. 

Edited by Darealbandicoot

CryptReaperDorian

How about the things you can "inspect" in the New Austin and southern West Elizabeth? Things like the Donkey Lady. I'd like to get all of these as Arthur as his drawings are far better than John's drawings.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, alz said:

I found all horse breeds required for the challenge in Big Valley along the Little Creek River. There are reliable horse spawns on either end of the valley; follow the road south a little on the west end until the green pastures run out, and no need to get too close to Wallace Station.

• Like 1

Kirk Lazarus
11 hours ago, CryptReaperDorian said:

How about the things you can "inspect" in the New Austin and southern West Elizabeth? Things like the Donkey Lady. I'd like to get all of these as Arthur as his drawings are far better than John's drawings.

Yeah, I thought about those too.  There's some good stuff in there I sketched out as Arthur.  The dead guy way way at the edge of West was the last one I nabbed.  Has anyone done a comparison of all Arthur vs. John sketches?

16 hours ago, Darealbandicoot said:

Arthur can get the Blackwater exclusive outfits as well. You either have to do an extremely difficult glitch as John to rewind the story (losing your inventory in the process) to play as Arthur again or use a save editor. The outfits in the Blackwater tailor are clearly meant for Arthu as well as John's outfit can't be equipped from the "outfits" section by Arthur like these can. 

The only Save Editor I found is sketchy at times.  The clothing choices only seem to work half the time.  I haven't found a way to unlock Blackwater's Tailor prior to John officially getting there.

• Like 2

Small patches of English Mace can be found east of O'Creagh's Run. I've got one patch marked in the image below. My horse is standing on a few and my character is standing on a few more. I'm fairly sure there's another similar looking small field in the same general area but I can't find it at the moment.

KDc4B1e.jpg

Edited by OrionSR

20 hours ago, OrionSR said:

I found all horse breeds required for the challenge in Big Valley along the Little Creek River. There are reliable horse spawns on either end of the valley; follow the road south a little on the west end until the green pastures run out, and no need to get too close to Wallace Station.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've never seen even one horse spawn along this river let alone every breed. This challenge sucks if you want to get them all as Arthur. Randomly roaming around is getting old fast 

7 minutes ago, scotthedge12 said:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've never seen even one horse spawn along this river let alone every breed. This challenge sucks if you want to get them all as Arthur. Randomly roaming around is getting old fast 

You may try to use a YouTube guide, if you like. For challenge 10 I found most of them by myself, but I had to use a guide for the others, I just couldn't find.

I wasn't very random with the horse breaking challenge. I had some experience breaking horses in this valley and was reasonably sure I could find each breed. The process only took two in-game days, faster than I expected based on random spawn experiences. But I got lucky on the half-breed and found one right away, and the mustang spawned soon after I buckled down and started reloading my save to refresh the animals. I even managed to break a thorough-bred I didn't need to.

Sleep until morning. When I completed the challenge I was concentrating on preserving the daylight and it seemed to help. Just now I was having a hard time identifying my favorite spawn points until dawn broke, then suddenly horses were everywhere. I'm not completely convinced the horses are daytime only animals but you may as well stack the odds in your favor.

In the image below I parked my horse at a reliable spawn on the east end of the valley, but horse icons don't show well so I added red markers. The marker/temp horse on the west is a less reliable spawn point, but is about as far west as I've seen them. I usually save a bit south of there. If I'm not finding the horses I want then I reload the save, check the western spawn point, and then head toward the more reliable spawn point on the east. Frequently horses can be found between these two points.

Stop well short of known spawn points and scan the area with binoculars or scopes. Racing through the fields is likely to spook the horse long before you can see them. It helps a lot to identify the particular breed you want before approaching. 

You can try potent herbivore bait. I've noticed that horses are frequently attracted to it but I didn't find it necessary.

w1qnuT8.jpg

Edited by OrionSR
  • Like 2

Guest Guest176525326
2 hours ago, Miko19 said:

You forgot Mary Linton

She is well hot. The best looking bird in the whole game imo

On 1/6/2019 at 4:02 AM, alz said:

Spoilers obvious!  This info can be found elsewhere on the web.  I made this collection of info for 1-page reference and thought to share it.

Hide contents

Clothing (Blackwater Tailor)

• The McLaughlin
  • The Josiah
  • The Farrier
  • The Donegal

You can buy The Josiah and The Donegal on Social Club. Unfortunately not the other two though.

Kirk Lazarus
54 minutes ago, Pelle said:

You can buy The Josiah and The Donegal on Social Club. Unfortunately not the other two though.

Ack, did I miss out on something?  Do you get these two outfits by signing into the Social Club?

34 minutes ago, alz said:

Ack, did I miss out on something?  Do you get these two outfits by signing into the Social Club?

I just found this out today. You can actually buy a select few outfits online when signed in and it will sync to your account. Using in-game money of course. Would have been nice to be able to buy the remaining two Blackwater outfits for Arthur as well but it doesn't seem to be possible.

• Like 1

Kirk Lazarus

Jeez, I didn't think of using the Catalog for this.  I knew about it, but the unlocking of outfits made me ignore the possibility.  Looking at it now, the status of what I own vs. what I don't own is F*up.  Shows I don't own half the ones I do know I owe.  I've also seen a lot of differences between what I have in-game vs. what the Social Club sez I've accomplished.

Edited by alz

10 hours ago, alz said:

I've also seen a lot of differences between what I have in-game vs. what the Social Club sez I've accomplished.

That's a bit of a known bug they haven't fixed yet. What it says in game is correct and what's displayed on SC is behind(maybe something to do with sync of data being slow)

Edited by AndyGanteks
  • Like 1