1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How would you rate GTA V now?

Journey_95

How would you rate GTA V now?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate GTA V now?

i'll say 6, it's a good game but the dummed down ragdoll and cop AI are downgraded for like no reason at all.

story is okay i guess, though if i had to chose one i guess it'd be micheal but i feel like all the characters have their good spots.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Journey_95 said:

I think starting with GTA 3 the series changed and established a real identity, the other games are an evolution of the formula that was established here. I don't think constant OTT stuff is fun, it gets repetitive pretty quickly & apart from GTA IV the series never took itself that seriously so I don't get this complaint.

They are just balanced and don't jump the shark with OTT crap like Online (even in GTA2 it made more sense since it was supposed to be more futuristic). But as long as the silly sh*t is kept to Online I don't really care. 

But then that forces those that wish to use the OTT content to go online or use mods. Wouldn't it be better to just add them to SP and then let players decide if they want to use them or not?

I get this feeling you're trying to police what players can do because it doesn't fit into your perception of GTA. That mentality isn't benefiting anyone nor allowing the series to progress. It's the same mentality Rockstar is getting sucked into as of late and why GTAV has so many problems with it's design.

Edited by Yinepi
  • Like 4
On 6/1/2019 at 9:40 PM, Journey_95 said:

No I think its more about keeping the identity of the franchise. The OTT Saints Row esque stuff just doesn't fit in GTA, I don't care what they do with Online since it sucks anyway but if that sh*t is shoehorned into GTA VI's SP it will be ruined

GTA still kept thing grounded apart from a few missions in V and SA but with Online they jumped the shark and just OTT stuff for the sake of it doesn't make a game more fun at all.

I actually agree with most of this. But I can't really speak to GTAO since I have never gotten into it. Not that I am against what Rockstar did with Online, but as a protest of one, I kind of boycotted it because of the lack of SP support for V. It has always felt to me like, if Rockstar really wanted to turn their Online mode into some hot mess of freemium thuggery, even that could have been fun, and probably is. But SP customers made GTA a staple of gaming, and Rockstar abandoned all SP support in and around 2013, after a few paltry SP offerings. lol I am sure my protest of one has really hurt their billions of dollars in Shark Card sales, too. lol

Still, I also agree strongly with @Yinepi about GTA trying new things. San Andreas was fairly OTT for its time, insofar as Rockstar was able to put things like alien samples, jet-packs, fighter jets parked on a ghetto roof in Ganton lol, Area 69, and so forth. I get that IV is more realistic and intentionally restrictive, in order to foster a sense of being grounded, but as you suggested, that wasn't really the norm for GTA either. Until Rockstar tried it, and now some fans see that as the standard, so to them, V can seem too OTT, even the SP, though you are talking about GTAO.

Still Yinepi's point, if I am interpreting him correctly, is that the OTT stuff is there if you want to use it, but players can choose to play SP as grounded as they please. I can't speak for GTAO, but my sense is that if players want to concentrate purely on heists, earning money, races, and such that perhaps even GTAO can be as grounded or OTT as the player chooses. Which, of course begs the question, who cares if GTAO has the capability now of being either completely batsh*t crazy, OTT or somewhat grounded, if players in a lobby want it to be that way?

Its like all the complaints about the special abilities in SP or all the ammo players can carry in V versus the constricted ammo in IV, or the ability to carry all weapons on one's weapon wheel at the same time. Same with the driving being a lot tighter and less slidey in V Versus IV. None of these things stop a player who is a fan of IV from carrying/using less ammo or less weapons, driving more carefully like you have to in IV, or simply not using the special abilities. Say what you want about Rockstar's Shark Card thuggery, but at least V, and probably even GTAO, give players a choice of what they want the experience to be for them personally to a very large extent.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 2
billiejoearmstrong8

A year ago I 100% would've given it a 10....then I played GTA IV. It's honestly sad that my opinion of V now goes steadily down by the day lol, but what can I do. I used to enjoy it so much but it just doesn't compare to the game that came before it.

• Like 2
On 6/2/2019 at 4:11 AM, Pikachu64 said:

i'll say 6, it's a good game but the dummed down ragdoll and cop AI are downgraded for like no reason at all.

story is okay i guess, though if i had to chose one i guess it'd be micheal but i feel like all the characters have their good spots.

Being able to play as 3 protagonists lowered the quality of the overall story telling, and it makes me wonder why Rockstar decided to do this.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Saint-XCVII said:

Being able to play as 3 protagonists lowered the quality of the overall story telling, and it makes me wonder why Rockstar decided to do this.

that was weird too, it also makes it a pain since you gotta switch from character to character to progress through the story.

though i don't mind it all that much

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, MARINA said:

I gave it a 5, GTAO is a mess and GTAV got left in the dust years ago. It feels unfinished.

"Unfinished" is a wrong term to use imo. I would say abandoned, but I don't think that's the right word either...

• 5 months later...

8/10. what can i say? i’ve been too harsh on this game(gtaIV’s perfection hit me pretty hard).

i played like two hours today, did side missions as trevor mostly, haha can’t believe i found him really funny, you got me t.

i disliked it doesn’t mean it’s a bad game for me, maybe not the greatest one.

edit:

Story: 7/10

characters: 7/10

protagonists: 8/10

gameplay: 8/10

map: 9/10

physics: 6/10

graphics: 10/10

visuals: 10/10

Edited by Max.pain
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 12/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, Max.pain said:

8/10. what can i say? i’ve been too harsh on this game(gtaIV’s perfection hit me pretty hard).

i played like two hours today, did side missions as trevor mostly, haha can’t believe i found him really funny, you got me t.

i disliked it doesn’t mean it’s a bad game for me, maybe not the greatest one.

edit:

Story: 7/10

characters: 7/10

protagonists: 8/10

gameplay: 8/10

map: 9/10

physics: 6/10

graphics: 10/10

visuals: 10/10

Ok i get that you feel the physics are dumb down from four but does it REALLY have to be a 6? Does that make every other game a 2-4? 

Unpopular opinion: I'll rather have the unrealistic ott stuff in single player so if feels like its a CHOICE to make or break your immersion rather than it to be online where your GONNA see people using the ott stuff without a choice. 

This game used to be my 4th favorite game of all time, but now I don't think I can put it even on top 50 or 100, tbh. As time passes, my "fanboyism" for Rockstar slowly dies and this allows me to look at their games in a different way. Even though it was never my favorite, I used to consider GTA V the best GTA, but nowadays I just dont see GTA V as a masterpiece or groundbreaking at all, it's a good game but that's it, I actually consider it quite overrated. My current rating would be a 6/10.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Ho Diver said:

This game used to be my 4th favorite game of all time, but now I don't think I can put it even on top 50 or 100, tbh. As time passes, my "fanboyism" for Rockstar slowly dies and this allows me to look at their games in a different way. Even though it was never my favorite, I used to consider GTA V the best GTA, but nowadays I just dont see GTA V as a masterpiece or groundbreaking at all, it's a good game but that's it, I actually consider it quite overrated. My current rating would be a 6/10.

Would you say that's because of GTA V itself or the new direction Rockstar themselves have shown?

52 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

Would you say that's because of GTA V itself or the new direction Rockstar themselves have shown?

Both.

I'd rate it 6.5

Story: 7.5/10

Graphics: 9/10

Map: 7.5/10

Driving: 5/5

Shooting/fighting: 5/5

The story was solid. But it was short. It felt like I never really got to know the characters properly. Franklins life, for example, never felt that different from the other characters. Problem was that each character was restricted to use particular clothes, safehouses, missions etc. I played as Michael - meaning I never did any sidemissions as Trevor or Franklin.

The graphics was great - even though the PS3 version did not look as good as I expected.

Los Santos felt a bit to small. Almost no interiors to enter. Coupled with poor AI, and lack of side activities, the map did not feel that interesting. What really lifted is was the fact that surface under water was very detailed. The map felt like an updated version from Los Santos 2004 but with almost nothing to do in it. Im currently playing GTA SA now and I realize how much side activities there is in the game compared to GTA V. The AI was the worst. There was rubber-band effect when you were hunted by police cars - like in Driver 3. Not even GTA SA had that. Cops were poor drivers as well as over-agressive. All AI was set to 'hate' or 'dislike' the player meaning they were hyper sensitive; you mere presence were enough for them to call the cops on you. Lack of safehouses and garages. The countryside did not really feel like countryside - it feel more like a park. I never got the feeling that I was alone, or out of touch with the world. Some part of the map could have been scrached - like Senora desert. It just feels too small. Like it is juts forced to be there: a desert surrounded by visible green trees felt weird.

The driving mechanics was dumbed down. Suspension was poor. All cars seemed to have no weight to them at all; motorcycles and light sport cars felt OK (compared to GTA IV where handling of motorcycles and sport cars felt very unrealistic. Anybody that has been driving a motorcycle knows that making sharp turns is easy and does not cause tires to scream), but when you were driving heavier cars and even trucks, they felt way to responsive. The vehicle physics was pure rubbish. Crashing made more or less no damage. Worst of all, if you jumped and landed on the roof, the vehicle often exploded which makes no sense at all. Modding did not really make much sense. Why buy offroad tires when you can drive perfectly up and down steep hills (and even in the mud) with sport cars?

Shooting and fighting was downgraded. Shooting felt very twitchy. It didnt feel as engaging as in GTA IV. It felt more like you were in an arcade shooter. There was no different sets of kicks or punches like in GTA IV or GTA SA. Like in GTA:SA, people DIE if you punch them, but in GTA V it was even more unrealistic: one punch is enough to kill someone. This made fighting booring.

All in all, GTA V is the worst game in the series imo. For me Its unplayable without a load of mods. Worst of all, there is CONSTANT and HUGE updates to Online - and you're forced to go though all this even if you don't play online yourself. Online should have its separate start-up icon.

Edited by Cyper
  • Like 2

I give GTA V a 7. The story wasn't bad, but could be done better. Maybe also a few more heists too. Maybe all could been fixed with singleplayer DLCs, but we all know how that one went.

Unmodded, I'd rate it a 5/10. Literally, there is no reason for me to play it. Especially once the story is done which I find to be alright but not great at all.

There is nothing of substance. If you play the game right and invest in stocks at the right time you end up with 2 billion dollars per character and yet you can't do anything with it. No real properties that are worth caring about. They stopped adding cars to single play after Ill-Gotten Gains 2. It's just boring. You can tell there was a lot cut from the game, a lot of which wound up in GTA:Online (and a lot of it feeling incomplete because you're stuck with a dumbass ugly ass character that can't talk playing with a bunch of minors who don't know how to play or who wanna blow sh*t up 247).

It's just a shell of a GTA game and it makes me feel very sad to play it. Before moving to PC, I was on PS4 and I literally avoided story mode like the plague. Online or nothing, because that's where they decided to keep adding things and the story mode is just bare bones.

So yeah, it gets a 5/10 from me. Base game.

...The modded game however... that is a solid 9/10. Adding in almost all of the content from GTA:Online (cars, etc), adding lore friendly cars, finally adding ALL the IV CARS, having access to all the GTA:Online cars without wasting countless hours grinding for them, adjusting the traffic to where it spawns almost every car in my game realistically, unlocking interiors, fixing a lot of the dumb sh*t Rockstar did, improving the environment with lore friendly visual mods and stuff of the like, enabling menus to control things, downloading lore friendly interiors/mansions that don't look out of place to spawn at, being able to mess with the time and weather and everything to adjust to your liking, etc. It makes this game feel like the game it should've in the first place. I can do anything I want, I have an endless selection of cars to mess around with and all of them now spawn in traffic so that this game is actually grand theft auto not grand purchase auto or grand spawn auto. I can f*ck with the cops, be invincible if I want, do a lot of stuff. It now feels like a proper sandbox. I'm all about keeping it lore friendly too, nothing I've downloaded is anything that I wouldn't have expected from Rockstar. My version of the game sort of feels like the GTA V I was expecting in 2013. Or realistically, the kind of GTA V I'd expect now.

It's just a shame that you have to mod the game (something Rockstar has begun to make a pain in the ass because it costs them potential revenue) in order for it to feel like the game it should've been from the get-go. It really is sad. I'm just glad it's possible, because I had given up on story mode the second they stopped adding the bare minimum (the cars) from GTA:Online updates. The game really was dead and boring and that's why it was a 5/10 for me. But now, modded, it's a 9/10.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

8/10. The gameplay is really good, the graphics are beautiful, the map is alright. But unfortunately, the story is mediocre. Still great game nonetheless.

• Like 2

9 out of 10, the same rating I give to RDR2.

Just so you can an idea: I give RDR1 a 10/10 and a 8/10 to GTA IV. GTA SA was the last GTA game I've rated a 10 out of 10.

These numbers are obviously very subjective. No game is perfect, but I believe that a 10/10 game is polished and original enough to be considered "perfect". A 9/10 game will present a few but fundamental flaws. With RDR2, for instance, it was the lack of originality, because everything I've experienced with it I've already seen in RDR1 about 8 years before.

dantedenirodeniro

10/10 - It's not perfect, but it sure is one of the most influential and well-made games of the last decade. Rockstar really knows how to create a open world and how to make it feel alive and fun, it have good characters, iconic scenes, dialogues and a light-hearted write.

MiamiViceCity1986

I'm glad this thread was bumped because it might make some people think twice before they sing "doom and gloom" because a tiny amount of people think GTA V is garbage when most people don't think it is. Or atleast the majority don't.

Sure not everyone is going to give it  10/10s or even 9s, but when most are between 7-8 that to me suggests the so called "hatred" is quite exaggerated and vindicates my view that the consensus is GTA V's a good (or even great game depending on the person). It just has some issues that let it down for some is all.

Infact I would upgrade my initial vote of 7.5 to 8.5 based on when I fully played it through last time. When I played it through a fresh perspective it was so much better.

I just wish R* gave us that DLC they promised. Even if it didn't fix the gripes people generally have with the game it would've been great to have a different take like EFLC did for GTA IV. In saying that it's easily one of the best games in its genre and outclasses many open world games since 2013. Even with its flaws it makes me appreciate how talented R* are where other devs drop the ball (looking at you Cyberpunk 2077).

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

8 out of 10 for me. It's definitely a good game and a huge leap forward in technology (I remember people saying back then that GTA 5 is the peak of graphics technology). It has not aged as fine as GTA 4 did but it's still very fun.

9.5/10

Pros;

- Fun & charismatic characters 

- Beautiful open world to look at 

- Smooth gameplay 

-  Endless customization options for vehicles, weapons, characters etc..

Cons;

- Oddly missing features from it's predecessor (ragdoll physics etc).

- Lacks on open world activities & interiors 

- Online mode has the spotlight

I am of the opinion that Grand Theft Auto 5 and GTA Online should be treated as seperate entities. Since they are completely different experiences to me. I played the single player part of GTA 5 (PC) back in 2016. I enjoyed a lot of aspects of GTA 5 but it was pretty short lived, once I finished the story I only played the game twice more before calling it a day.

On the positive side I enjoyed the story, it had a great musical score and I enjoyed listening to the radio. The world looked alive and the first person mode was a great addition to me.

On the negative side I have to confess that even though GTA 4 didn't really have a lot of things to do outside of the missions the game captivated me a lot more. Also because of The Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony expansion packs, the games were really rejuvenated to me. GTA 5 falls short because it feels a bit more bland, San Andreas especially. I thought the driving was too easy, the difficulty was too low and the game at some parts started to feel more like a 'going through the motions' game instead of a real, new, Grand Theft Auto.

All in all it was still an enjoyable game to me in 2016. 8/10 If I 'had' to play it today I would probably load it with some mods which weren't really there yet in 2016 but so far I'm not really itching to play through the story again.

Now Online: Because of a friend of mine I gave it a shot late summer, never having tried it before. The first couple of hours were magnificient because of the bizar things that could only happen online. I started the tutorial missions with someone else and we gave each other covering fire etc. which worked very well. Later on that day, after we went our seperate ways I came across 'my teammate' but now he decided to try and kill me. So I killed him first. An hour later I started a mission where one guy had a red monotone car and another player a fully tuned DeLuxo (DeLorean). The image of me arriving at the site with gangsters guarding their drugs, while the other two arrived in their overly bright red car (blasting the Ode to Joy car horn) and DeLuxo flying in and landing like in some science fiction Top Gear challenge I will never get out of my head.

So far I would rate the online part 9/10.

After playing it a couple more times the weeks later I learned about loading times, griefers, grinding, Weimarer Republik-like inflated prices, Oppressor Mk IIs, hacking, corrupt mods and thought; F this, we are done here. 6/10 because they added open wheelers.

1 hour ago, RaQnaR0ck said:

On the negative side I have to confess that even though GTA 4 didn't really have a lot of things to do outside of the missions...

Here we go again. 

1 hour ago, RaQnaR0ck said:

On the negative side I have to confess that even though GTA 4 didn't really have a lot of things to do outside of the missions...

If the GTA 4 Avengers hear about this you're screwed. Let's keep it quiet while we can.

iBBb5cm.jpg