1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
AnimalFather

Another Outlet sh*ts on RDR2

AnimalFather

It's Surprising How Much of 'Red Dead Redemption 2' Doesn't Actually Matter

It's game full of incomplete systems and a big, expensive world that often feels like little more than window dressing.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/mbyyey/its-surprising-how-much-of-red-dead-redemption-2-doesnt-actually-matter?utm_source=wptfbus

lol232

>Vice

Opinion discarded.

I read the article for the most part, literally just an opinion of a journalist who thinks his opinion matters more and counts them as facts. What matters and what doesn't matter is all up to the player. His article doesn't matter either.

Mafia Assassin®
Posted (edited)

The overreaction about the RDR2 flaws and "broken gameplay" is getting to a ridiculous level. The game has its flaws but it's nothing earth-shattering how some people like to make out.

Edited by Mafia Assassin®

SneakyDeaky

"It's game full of incomplete systems and a big, expensive world that often feels like little more than window dressing."

Shouldn't that be expansive? Unless they are complaining about how much the game cost to make or something😕

But what the hell are they even babbling about? Window dressing? We are talking about the richest open world game of all time. The world is literally bursting with detail, lore and narrative. There is almost no wasted space anywhere, and with all the letters, newspapers and NPC dialogue, there are possibly hundreds of small stories, references and important details that flesh out the world in a way that is still surprising to me after 200 hours.

And the world itself is beautiful. Staggering even. I look around and almost every landscape looks like a painting (in fact the look of the world seems to be inspired by the Hudson river School) and yet it is all mostly interactive on some level.

Window dressing? f*ck off!

woggleman

Yet I was banned for predicting the reaction to this game. It looks I was right. Expect more of this backlash.

Furi0sa
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, woggleman said:

Yet I was banned for predicting the reaction to this game. It looks I was right. Expect more of this backlash.

RDR2 is so interesting as its such a  MASSIVE release because its Rockstar but if we're being honest this is a niche experience. Its slow paced, contemplative, and almost isolative at points depending on how you play in SP/MP. I think you're right, this game will have a mixed reaction more and more as time goes on. However for the people that love it, we REALLY seem to love this thing.

As someone mentioned earlier RDR2 is like living within a painting, if you're reviewing red dead 2 with just the mission structure in mind I imagine the game will look boring AF. Its wandering the wilderness, hunting, the ambient soundtrack etc where the game comes alive in my opinion.

To drop the outdated narrative rockstar finally has to move away from riding to a letter, watching a cut scene and shooting people when things go wrong. They are innovators and they have gotten a bit comfortable.

Edited by scotthedge12

woggleman
1 minute ago, scotthedge12 said:

RDR2 is so interesting as its such a  MASSIVE release because its Rockstar but if we're being honest this is a niche experience. Its slow paced, contemplative, and almost isolative at points depending on how you play in SP/MP. I think you're right, this game will have a mixed reaction more and more as time goes on. However for the people that love it, we REALLY seem to love this thing.

As someone mentioned earlier RDR2 is like living within a painting, if you're reviewing red dead 2 with just the mission structure in mind I imagine the game will look boring AF. Its wandering the wilderness, hunting, the ambient soundtrack etc where the game comes alive in my opinion.

Then they shouldn't have marketed it as some mass market game with all these high reviews only to leave droves of disappointed gamers who loathe the game. All they had to was make a more polished version of the first one with the same kind of story and this wouldn't be happening. 

Furi0sa
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, woggleman said:

Then they shouldn't have marketed it as some mass market game with all these high reviews only to leave droves of disappointed gamers who loathe the game. All they had to was make a more polished version of the first one with the same kind of story and this wouldn't be happening. 

I'm glad they didn't though. RDR2 is my favorite game now. I don't care about disappointing gamers personally, rockstar does what they want. In some ways rdr2 doesn't even feel like a western so I get why people feel mixed about it.

Edited by scotthedge12

woggleman
2 minutes ago, scotthedge12 said:

I'm glad they didn't though. RDR2 is my favorite game now. I don't care about disappointing gamers personally, rockstar does what they want.

True but they are running out of goodwill. I have seen genuine anger at the 97 metacritic score and people who ordered the ultimate edition saying that they feel robbed. A friend of mine threw a fit at Gamestop because they wouldn't give him a full refund for the game but they eventually did probably just to get him to go away. If they make this kind of game as a sequel to a much less divisive game and market it as such then they need to be prepared for a lot of unhappy gamers when it turns out to be what a lot of gamers don't want.

Furi0sa
1 minute ago, woggleman said:

True but they are running out of goodwill. I have seen genuine anger at the 97 metacritic score and people who ordered the ultimate edition saying that they feel robbed. A friend of mine threw a fit at Gamestop because they wouldn't give him a full refund for the game but they eventually did probably just to get him to go away. If they make this kind of game as a sequel to a much less divisive game and market it as such then they need to be prepared for a lot of unhappy gamers when it turns out to be what a lot of gamers don't want.

All will be forgiven when they do gta 6 or a safe bully 2, You have valid points/concerns. Rockstar are a smart company, they had to know this wouldn't be universally praised by fans. It feels ground breaking and antiquated all at the same time. I'm glad it works for me but I feel for those that can't get into it. Luckily there's god of war, spiderman, resident evil 2 remake, assassins creed Odsy tomb raider, and so many other recent games to choose from.

American Venom
51 minutes ago, woggleman said:

A friend of mine threw a fit at Gamestop because they wouldn't give him a full refund for the game but they eventually did probably just to get him to go away. 

How old is your friend exactly? 12? Who throws a fit just because they get can't get a refund? Tell him to grow the f*ck up.

Anyway I get Red Dead Redemption 2 has its flaws, but I agree some people go WAY overboard. I can't remember who it was, but someone said in one of the thread in the R* forum section that they're so great at making games the slightest imperfection makes people go crazy. In fact now I'm convinced it's tall poppy syndrome more than anything.

R* are known as the pioneers of the open world genre and their success also seems to bite them in the arse. If it were any other game like Assassin's Creed for example it would've been forgotten about by now. The one thing I will NEVER agree with though is how anyone can honestly think the game world is window dressing. WTF? It's objectively one of the most organic and sprawling open world maps ever made. Find another current gen game that does it better and I'll resign from the staff immediately.

TheShift

Click bait is all it is imo

God of War..Spiderman were great games..but I platinumed them both in about 2 weeks time.Complete repetition game play 

I'll be chasing the platinum trophy for RDR2 for many...many more hours (after 150+ I might add)

That's what a good game should really be.. one that just takes forever...The Witcher 3 was another that just overwhelms you with content 

You get your money's worth is what I'm getting at.

Just compare Rockstar to other game devs...and like CDPR outshine above the rest.

EA Dice...have RUINED the Battlefront franchise and are now killing off Battlefield 

Look at sea of theives ..Atlas ..lol what pieces of sh*te ...money grabbing deceiving devs..all of them 

woggleman
35 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

How old is your friend exactly? 12? Who throws a fit just because they get can't get a refund? Tell him to grow the f*ck up.

Anyway I get Red Dead Redemption 2 has its flaws, but I agree some people go WAY overboard. I can't remember who it was, but someone said in one of the thread in the R* forum section that they're so great at making games the slightest imperfection makes people go crazy. In fact now I'm convinced it's tall poppy syndrome more than anything.

R* are known as the pioneers of the open world genre and their success also seems to bite them in the arse. If it were any other game like Assassin's Creed for example it would've been forgotten about by now. The one thing I will NEVER agree with though is how anyone can honestly think the game world is window dressing. WTF? It's objectively one of the most organic and sprawling open world maps ever made. Find another current gen game that does it better and I'll resign from the staff immediately.

They are pioneers but there are some who say that others have surpassed them. There are many people who feel AC Odyssey is a much better game than RDR2. It is not an uncommon opinion and some people think BOTW is the best open world game ever. Not saying I agree but these views are not unheard of.

My friend is in his 30s but takes gaming very seriously and says that the high review scores and the pass Rockstar gets is downright insulting and if anybody else released this game it would get torn to shreds.

PapasHota

My main problem with this game is the sh*t gunplay, cover mechanics, having to press R2 twice and the camera shaking are all trash in free aim doesnt matter how much you change the acelleration it never feels good, i just spam dead-eye to get the unsastifying combat over, too bad it just get worse in the later chapters, thats the first shooter this gen i felt like i needed to use auto aim with how bad the free aim was.

American Venom
5 minutes ago, woggleman said:

My friend is in his 30s but takes gaming very seriously and says that the high review scores and the pass Rockstar gets is downright insulting and if anybody else released this game it would get torn to shreds.

He needs to grow up I'm afraid. I just turned 33 the other day and I would never carry on like spoiled child if I couldn't get a refund for a game. It's embarrassing to have friends like that. No offence.

But I don't see how R* get anymore of a pass than most other AAA developers do. Naughty Dog always get high scores and I never hear anyone complain about them. It might just be the reason R* get such high scores because they genuinely deserve them. 

AnimalFather

As more time passes people will realize its not a very good game and actually its very rushed. 

woggleman
7 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

He needs to grow up I'm afraid. I just turned 33 the other day and I would never carry on like spoiled child if I couldn't get a refund for a game. It's embarrassing to have friends like that. No offence.

But I don't see how R* get anymore of a pass than most other AAA developers do. Naughty Dog always get high scores and I never hear anyone complain about them. It might just be the reason R* get such high scores because they genuinely deserve them. 

I have known him since we were 13 years old he does come through when I need him but he is just so extremist about games. My GF can't stand him especially after he insulted her because she loves RDR2 more than most of this forum. He told her she only likes it because she thinks Arthur is hot.

American Venom
7 minutes ago, woggleman said:

I have known him since we were 13 years old he does come through when I need him but he is just so extremist about games. My GF can't stand him especially after he insulted her because she loves RDR2 more than most of this forum. He told her she only likes it because she thinks Arthur is hot.

He sounds like a dickhead to be blunt. I'd never let anyone talk to my girlfriend like that and punch them in the throat. Don't know how you can put up with it honestly. 

Equatecurl
20 minutes ago, woggleman said:

Sounds like a f*cking loser tbh, ditch him

woggleman

We have history and he is a deeply unhappy and angry person who uses games to escape then gets very angry when they don't fit his rigid standards of what true gaming is. 

Furi0sa
43 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

As more time passes people will realize its not a very good game and actually its very rushed. 

Playing it non stop for two months, this world definitely doesn't feel rushed.

DonnieVega
30 minutes ago, AnimalFather said:

Rushed feels like a weird term considering the time they've had but I agree that it could've been a lot better through some simple changes even.

But at the same time it's in a league of its own when it comes to realistic detail and just beauty in general, which to me is worth a lot more than all typical game mechanics...

woggleman

I have noticed that for some reason women seem to love this game. Almost every woman I know who is into gaming really likes this game. My GF and my cousin both love it and there are a number of female streamers doing playthroughs. I wonder why that is. 

Furi0sa
4 minutes ago, woggleman said:

I have noticed that for some reason women seem to love this game. Almost every woman I know who is into gaming really likes this game. My GF and my cousin both love it and there are a number of female streamers doing playthroughs. I wonder why that is. 

Less competitive skill based? Strong female characters? Chicks seem to dig mass effect quite a bit and red dead 2 reminds me a lot of that series with the camp and character dynamics.

Grotti Vigilante
1 hour ago, AnimalFather said:

Rushed? I’m not even sure if you’re saying that just to be edgy, but Red Dead Redemption II is anything but rushed. It took over six years to make and was delayed twice to make some final improvements over these time periods. You cannot call a game that takes that long to make with such a deep experience and well regarded characters and story that takes many hours to complete a rushed product. Rockstar is the last game company to rush a game out, because it’s clear that no matter how long it takes to release, people will buy it. It’s the same reason you pretty much never see them at E3. 

jje1000
29 minutes ago, woggleman said:

arthurmorgan-reddeadredemption2.jpg

That's your reason.

American Venom
19 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Rushed? I’m not even sure if you’re saying that just to be edgy, but Red Dead Redemption II is anything but rushed. It took over six years to make and was delayed twice to make some final improvements over these time periods. You cannot call a game that takes that long to make with such a deep experience and well regarded characters and story that takes many hours to complete a rushed product. Rockstar is the last game company to rush a game out, because it’s clear that no matter how long it takes to release, people will buy it. It’s the same reason you pretty much never see them at E3. 

If Red Dead Redemption 2's considered "rushed" I feel bad for the annual releases from other developers that are churned out faster than a fat kid devouring candy in a candy shop.

jje1000
28 minutes ago, Miamivicecity said:

If Red Dead Redemption 2's considered "rushed" I feel bad for the annual releases from other developers that are churned out faster than a fat kid devouring candy in a candy shop.

Not all of those 8 years can be linear progress- some of that time could have been in development hell if Rockstar is as disorganized as rumored. A good game can be put out in a much short period of time, especially if devs recycle from previous games and have a large library/good toolkit workflow to put together worlds quickly, which I believe Ubisoft does.

As for RDRII, there definitely were more than a few systems that I felt were trimmed from their full potential, and a few areas that could have used more polish (I.e. Beecher's Hope)- the final product is far tighter and scripted than it seems to have originally been intended.

American Venom
2 minutes ago, jje1000 said:

Not all of those 8 years can be linear progress- some of that time could have been in development hell if Rockstar is as disorganized as rumored. A good game can be put out in a much short period of time, especially if devs recycle from previous games and have a large library/good toolkit workflow to put together worlds quickly, which I believe Ubisoft does.

As for RDRII, there definitely were more than a few systems that I felt were trimmed from their full potential, and a few areas that could have used more polish (I.e. Beecher's Hope)- the final product is far tighter and scripted than it seems to have originally been intended.

Of course it's doubtful R* devoted 8 years all to development. In reality it was probably more like 4 or 5, but even if some things could've been polished up a bit more the game hardly feels like it was rushed out. Famous examples like Assassin's Creed: Unity or more recently Fallout 76 were clearly rushed with a magnitude of issues, but Red Dead Redemption 2 even followed R*'s typical protocol and got delayed so it was in the best possible shape for release.

I would even say because the game's so massive in scope and the painstaking attention to detail is abundantly obvious expecting them to go over every single thing with a fine tooth comb would be laborious. It's an incredibly polished game considering just how many systems and mechanics co-exist with eachother.

Lonely-Martin

Here we go again with the Woggleman bait and hate, lol.

Just play ya game folks. Form your own opinions. :)

For me, RDR2 story is easily a modern classic. RDRO leaves a lot to be desired, but it has potential so we'll see where that goes, but story mode is a damn fine game.