1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Pofkėnas

How many of you haven't gone to college?

Pofkėnas

I never was doing very well at school and all, so after graduation last year, decided not to go to college because honestly I don't think I'd be studying well enough to graduate it. And actually, despite that many are saying that you can't do well without a college degree, I don't agree with it. I have many friends without any college degree who're doing even better, getting higher salary than many with a degree. And even despite that, I'm not afraid of any job and don't need very much in my life. In other words, I'm kind of a modest person. So are there any members who also haven't gone to college?

FearThoseWhoFearHim

I was at High School in two different schools and I had the opportunity to be a nurse or systems engineer and one day I was bored and I was taking a job instead of something I regret many times, but I finished a couple of years because it was a promise for me.

I try to go to University studying Psychology around 2017, but I don't think is necessary when I think my own projects (art, music, photography, etc.) and I can't pay it anyway.

It depends what you want because in my country there some people with University but working at the mall or something different and they loved it.

Sanches

I think that getting high grade education is not a mandatory thing if you want some top jobs, but still a great bonus in a life. I mean, loading your brain with maths and languages won't harm, especially when it'll get soft after you'll finish your education. Speaking from my own experience.

Personally, i finished vocational school, so i guess this goes to finishing college. I also have acquaintances who never attempted colleges, but still doing well for themselves. Some of them are pushing weak dope or something.

BlackScout

I wish I didn't feel like I have to go to College. But I can't figure another way out.

feckyerlife
43 minutes ago, BlackScout said:

I wish I didn't feel like I have to go to College. But I can't figure another way out.

its called certifications in the field your looking to work. My wife is finishing college now, but she has no degree only 2 yrs of college, but got the required certifications for her field, now she makes 103k, I have about the same college resume as she does, but i got certified in my field i make 70k. 

The Hippie

Nope, I bummed around from job to job for a few years. Now i'm a train conductor! It's decent. Part of me still wants to go back and study ecology or something along those lines. Who knows.

FearThoseWhoFearHim
9 minutes ago, The Hippie said:

Nope, I bummed around from job to job for a few years.

There is no such thing as a perfect job.

I know what it feels pal.

Flash525

Further Education isn't for everyone, and some of the time, it's not specifically what you know, but rather, who you know. You can have all the qualifications you want, but if you're one of two people going to a job and the other person is a friend/family member of the guy leading the interview, or even a manager at said company, you're already at a disadvantage. Sometimes ones place if work is purely down to luck too; it's not all reliant on qualifications. 

Further Qualifications prove two things; you're invested, and you have a grasp of a specific topic. I suppose it's one way for an employer to see that you can commit to something, and so they know you're less likely to be worthless if employed. That doesn't mean someone without qualifications can't do well though. Per the OP, I know people that have gone on to study X, Y, Z at College/Uni and have returned home only to throw themselves into retail or factory work - simply because their chosen profession isn't as broad as they'd like (in the sense that you've got five companies, with 5 positions each, and 250 people fresh out of education applying for those positions).

Further Education can give you an edge, but it's not something anyone should feel they need to do. 

chronic lumbago

I'm too stupid to go to university lol

FearThoseWhoFearHim
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, chronic lumbago said:

I'm too stupid to go to university lol

Because you don't use your intelligence.

Edited by FearThoseWhoFearHim

Shaytan
Posted (edited)

Portugal is an interesting case. Unlike other countries like the US, the most prestigious colleges are the public ones you enter through a national-wide appliance program based on your high school classifications. For the most part, the professors are also more reputable inside each area and have more freedom to teach than on private ones. Most private colleges, besides some notable examples, pretty much accept anyone that brings an high school completion certificate and pays up. Public college bills aren't anything outrageous like in the US either, and in most cases you pay between 1000-2000 euro yearly. Also, there's a very good scholarship program going on that is based on your family's earnings and possessions, and many people like me get to study without falling in debt (the only fault of this program is that it excludes the students who work, no matter how much they earn - therefore working as an indirect incentive for students not to work).

Paired with this, there's a rule of obligatory 12 years of school, which if you don't fail any year means you're obliged to finish high school. This translates that having finished high school became quite a ground zero in terms of qualifications - even McDonald's doesn't employ anyone who doesn't even have finished high school. I know some people who had failed several years of school, past 12 they've dropped school and nowadays they're past 25 and still living with their parents, because you either get a decent job by having some contacts or you resort to uncertain and low paying jobs and hope you get your yearly contract renewed, in those cases. High school in Portugal offers a lot of professional school options that equal to high school, for people who don't intend to go to college and so want to be prepared to work in a certain area (you have stuff like mechanical schools, children care, hotel and tourism, etc.) but depending of the course, you may find that you later get applied to the same jobs that people without that formation also do - that's the case with my girlfriend, who went for a professional course yet I feel like her CV isn't any more appreciated than any other person who has only finished the regular high school and has no formation in the area whatsoever.

Around here, given that not only you're offered education faced towards any potential interests you may have, but also that college is an affordable thing, you don't have your life made easy if you don't intend to go to college. Even after college, you usually still have an educational path to follow in order to be prepared to do something. In my case, hopefully next year when I graduate, if I wish to then do the more "obvious" choice of becoming a lawyer, I still have a two year course in front of me (which the failure rate is quite high); another option I've considered was to try to join Portugal's criminal investigation agency, which still has several months of written, physical and psychological exams in order to even get accepted for the very limited number of vacancies each year. If you don't intend to go to college and want to have a decent job you like, you either get lucky and get to stay in some store or department and begin to go up in the hierarchy (which is getting rarer around here, given companies only benefit from employing people temporary), are really good in something and work your ass off for an entrepreneur career or (and for the previous option you may still need this one), as I'm encouraging my girlfriend to do, enroll in private courses of areas you're interested in to improve your CV and open other job options.

Edited by Shaytan

nateboussad

People in the future will start thinking twice about going to college. Forget a name brand, community college or online will be the only way to afford it with $10 an hour or less.

Mister Pinkerton
On 1/2/2019 at 8:21 PM, Pofkėnas said:

I never was doing very well at school and all, so after graduation last year, decided not to go to college because honestly I don't think I'd be studying well enough to graduate it. And actually, despite that many are saying that you can't do well without a college degree, I don't agree with it. I have many friends without any college degree who're doing even better, getting higher salary than many with a degree. And even despite that, I'm not afraid of any job and don't need very much in my life. In other words, I'm kind of a modest person. So are there any members who also haven't gone to college?

While it's not a necessity to have a degree, the probability of gaining employment with a degree increases dramatically. Not only that, getting a degree allows you to study something you enjoy and find employment in an industry or profession that's interesting to you. 

The thing about making decisions now that impact the rest of your life is that if you decide at 30 or 40 that you aren't so modest or you develop a hobby or interest that requires money such as sailing or photography, you'll quickly be looking at jobs that pay more. That's where your degree or masters comes in. There's also the fluidity a degree holds. For example, you may have studied philosophy and English but you are going for a role in admin/management - OK, it's the degree might seem pointless for that role but it shows the employer that you were able to study at 3rd level and were committed for about 4 years and passed. That's certainly an advantage over someone that has no degree. Most employers for specific roles wont consider your application without a degree. That's a no-brainer, really. 

Having said that, you can without degree gain some experience somewhere which will open a door to another place and work your way up. It's very limited and you kind of have to commit that line of work because it's all your experienced in. I kind of did that but it's slower and I quickly found that some of my peers in the roles I was in had masters/degrees. So when an internal opportunity for promotion came up, the guys and gals with qualifications were getting picked first.  I went back as a mature student. I originally did media cert after I finished school but part of me wishes I had done something more academic because having monetary freedom allows me to pursue creative projects and the things I really love. 

I hope I wasn't being too negative. I'm not trying to give you advice, I'm just trying let you know my experience of not taking college too seriously when I was younger and how I'm thinking now, that I'm a little older. Somethings are fine when you are younger. I know I was like that. Now I'm more mature. I want some securities in life. I'm not looking to be rich. But I want to be "comfortable", as they say. 

EDIT: Just an article I read from HuffPost but they use stats and have sources (PEW). This article actually makes the claim that the value gained from a degree is increasing (in the U.S.).

According to a 2013 study by the Pew Research Center, the difference in median annual earnings between millennial high school and college graduates stands at $17,500. In 1965, when a high school graduate could be assured a well paying blue-collar job, the difference was only $7,500. The difference in earnings, also referred to as the “college premium,” will only grow as graduates move up the professional ladder. Over a lifetime, according to the Federal Reserve Board of San Francisco, a college graduate can expect to earn around $800,000 more on average than if they never went beyond high school. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-petillo/the-value-of-a-fouryear-d_b_6956886.html?guccounter=1

Edited by Mister Pinkerton