1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

joewinko

I want to make a 'Total Conversion' Game Mod out of Grandtheft Auto San Andreas? Questions I have and what tutorials should I look into?

joewinko
Posted (edited)

This is one idea I just recently got.  I wanted to make a total conversion mod of GTA San Andreas to make a custom story with missions.

pSYRAZ6.png

I wanted it to be a mod that turns GTA San Andreas into a game about a guy trapped on a beach where a zombie outbreak happened and he has to rescue survivors and defeat the main villain who started the zombie out break (it's a fan story based off of Dead Rising). 

I have no experience with doing any modding like that with GTA BUT I do know how to rig and import custom pedestrian models and i have tried using 'Design your own Mission' but i only have minimal experience with that but i plan on looking into it even more. (I was actually planning on using that to create this mod)

Here's basically all the questions I have about this:

1. I wanted custom music to play during some of the missions and the opening, is there a way to do that in Grandtheft Auto? and if so, how can i do that or what tutorial could i follow for that? 
  2. I wanted to change the whole map of GTA, as in, I don't want it to be the same map as San Andreas, I wanted it to be a custom beach map that i create. I have no experience with mapping but does anyone know what tutorials I could use to figure that out and how to get it in the game? 
  3. How do I change the desktop icon and loading screen?
  4. At the end of the game I wanted to have a survivor chart showing how many survivors were rescued (if anyone here is familiar with the Dead Rising games you'll know what I'm talking about), how would I do that? 
  5. I also wanted rescuing the survivors to be optional and not aromatically fail you in the game if you don't

Here's also some more stuff I plan on having in it,

for the NPCs:

I planed on having

• 1 custom player model for the player
  • 2 custom NPC models for the allies
  • 1 custom NPC model for the Main villain
  • 4 custom NPC models for the 'psychopaths' (other villains who you have to defeat in the game)
  • 25 custom NPC models for the survivors you rescue 
  • 10 custom NPC models for victims in the game who you can not save at all and who automatically die in the game
  • 6 custom NPC models for the types of zombies

I know this will be a Huge project that is going to take a ton of time for me to complete but what tutorials do you recommend i use for this? and any other advice or questions?

Please help ♥

Edited by joewinko

guard3
On 1/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, joewinko said:

I have no experience with doing any modding like that with GTA

You can't make a total conversion. You need to know 3ds Max well enough to make peds, cars, map objects and collisions, and scripting with gta3script. DYOM is bad

So start goofing around with small things and maybe one day you'll be able to make one

joewinko
On 1/27/2019 at 3:14 PM, guard3 said:

You can't make a total conversion. You need to know 3ds Max well enough to make peds, cars, map objects and collisions, and scripting with gta3script. DYOM is bad

So start goofing around with small things and maybe one day you'll be able to make one

If pointed to the right tutorials I could...

And I actually DO know how to make custom peds in the game. but I havent figured out map stuff yet. 

& why is DYOM bad? what's wrong with it? 

Sloth-
7 hours ago, joewinko said:

& why is DYOM bad? what's wrong with it?  

The problem with DYOM is that it's very limited. You can do a LOT more customizations and efficient stuff managing your own scripts with CLEO/SCM.

On 1/2/2019 at 3:24 PM, joewinko said:

I wanted custom music to play during some of the missions and the opening, is there a way to do that in Grandtheft Auto? and if so, how can i do that or what tutorial could i follow for that?

You can play your custom .mp3 files with a functionality in DYOM.

In coding, you can call these commands:

0AAC: $hMP3 = load_audiostream "CLEO\playlist\1.mp3"

0AAD: set_mp3 $hMP3 perform_action 1

0AAE: release_mp3 $hMP3

If you don't know anything about SCM/CLEO coding, you should start with these tutorials:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/480446-iii-coding-directory/

You better have a LOT of enthusiasm in programing in general in order to make total conversions, you'll need to learn SCM and ASI scripting.

I wanted to change the whole map of GTA, as in, I don't want it to be the same map as San Andreas, I wanted it to be a custom beach map that i create. I have no experience with mapping but does anyone know what tutorials I could use to figure that out and how to get it in the game?

As @guard3 mentioned, you need to learn 3DS Max, and of course put a lot of time and effort, because making maps can be a lot of time consuming!

I personally prefer to work in Blender all the map-related stuff, and then transfer all the 3D models to 3dsmax and then make all the conversion to gtasa format. But that's totally up to you.

Look for tutorials on youtube about modelling, and inside this forum you will find all kind of tutorials on how to work with the different conversion tools.

How do I change the desktop icon and loading screen?

To change the icon:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/388579-editing-icon-of-gta-saexe/

About changing loading screen, it depends.

You can easily change the screen images replacing the textures in the file /GTASA folder/models/txd/LOADSCS.txd, using a tool like Magic.TXD, but if you really want to go further, like changing the loading screen behavior, you best learn C++ ASI script.

4. At the end of the game I wanted to have a survivor chart showing how many survivors were rescued (if anyone here is familiar with the Dead Rising games you'll know what I'm talking about), how would I do that?

5. I also wanted rescuing the survivors to be optional and not aromatically fail you in the game if you don't

That sounds like SCM/CLEO scripting specific tasks. Learn that and you should be able to figure out how to add that behavior to your game.

I planed on having

• 1 custom player model for the player
  • 2 custom NPC models for the allies
  • 1 custom NPC model for the Main villain
  • 4 custom NPC models for the 'psychopaths' (other villains who you have to defeat in the game)
  • 25 custom NPC models for the survivors you rescue 
  • 10 custom NPC models for victims in the game who you can not save at all and who automatically die in the game
  • 6 custom NPC models for the types of zombies

More stuff that you can achieve with SCM/CLEO coding.

You can also get all the skins you need from all the gta skin download pages.

If you want a little piece of advice: start from few and simple modding.

By now, only focus on SCM.

Then, step by step, learn how to insert a custom model (a very simple model) that you've created on 3D modelling software, and other stuff.

You could also work with mods developed by other users, if they give you permissions, of course. For example, if you want to work in a beach enviroment, you could consider this map mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4UviWDhSWk

http://www.gostownparadise.com/

Learn how to use modloader (in case you don't know it yet), it's a great tool.

joewinko

THIS is the type of reply i was looking for!

2 hours ago, Sloth- said:

The problem with DYOM is that it's very limited. You can do a LOT more customizations and efficient stuff managing your own scripts with CLEO/SCM.

You can play your custom .mp3 files with a functionality in DYOM.

In coding, you can call these commands:

0AAC: $hMP3 = load_audiostream "CLEO\playlist\1.mp3"

0AAD: set_mp3 $hMP3 perform_action 1

0AAE: release_mp3 $hMP3

If you don't know anything about SCM/CLEO coding, you should start with these tutorials:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/480446-iii-coding-directory/

You better have a LOT of enthusiasm in programing in general in order to make total conversions, you'll need to learn SCM and ASI scripting.

As @guard3 mentioned, you need to learn 3DS Max, and of course put a lot of time and effort, because making maps can be a lot of time consuming!

I personally prefer to work in Blender all the map-related stuff, and then transfer all the 3D models to 3dsmax and then make all the conversion to gtasa format. But that's totally up to you.

Look for tutorials on youtube about modelling, and inside this forum you will find all kind of tutorials on how to work with the different conversion tools.

To change the icon:

https://gtaforums.com/topic/388579-editing-icon-of-gta-saexe/

About changing loading screen, it depends.

You can easily change the screen images replacing the textures in the file /GTASA folder/models/txd/LOADSCS.txd, using a tool like Magic.TXD, but if you really want to go further, like changing the loading screen behavior, you best learn C++ ASI script.

That sounds like SCM/CLEO scripting specific tasks. Learn that and you should be able to figure out how to add that behavior to your game.

More stuff that you can achieve with SCM/CLEO coding.

You can also get all the skins you need from all the gta skin download pages.

If you want a little piece of advice: start from few and simple modding.

By now, only focus on SCM.

Then, step by step, learn how to insert a custom model (a very simple model) that you've created on 3D modelling software, and other stuff.

You could also work with mods developed by other users, if they give you permissions, of course. For example, if you want to work in a beach enviroment, you could consider this map mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4UviWDhSWk

http://www.gostownparadise.com/

Learn how to use modloader (in case you don't know it yet), it's a great tool.

Thank you for the Very good Advice! ♥ I'm definitely going to be going over all the stuff. I knew it'd be a huge project that would take a while to figure out but it shouldn't be to hard, just complicated :) I actually Do know to make custom peds in GTA san andreas and how to rig them and import them and i do know how to do 3D modeling. There's just more i have to learn :) thank you for the guidance! :)❤️