3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

IamCourtney

--- Red Dead Discussion Thread ---

IamCourtney

Anyone else wish Saint Denis were a bit bigger? Don't get me wrong, they capture that 19th century dirty urban feel fantastically and it's a really well designed area gameplay wise, especially for PvP, but the more time I spend there the smaller it feels. I always know I'm a short burst of speed away from being back in open country and it'd be cool to feel lost deep in the urban jungle if the city extended further than it does...

Ektope
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, IamCourtney said:

Anyone else wish Saint Denis were a bit bigger? Don't get me wrong, they capture that 19th century dirty urban feel fantastically and it's a really well designed area gameplay wise, especially for PvP, but the more time I spend there the smaller it feels. I always know I'm a short burst of speed away from being back in open country and it'd be cool to feel lost deep in the urban jungle if the city extended further than it does...

Yeah, I get this. I remember when I entered Saint Denis as Arthur in Single Player. It was an amazing town. But it was dark because of the storyline. Going inside mansion (?), party and the grave robbing. It was a completely unfamiliar town. But now, I've played so much Saint Denis map in Showdown Series Large. Been around the town in daylight and kinda familiar. So yeah. It's not easy to get lost. But without map HUD radar, it could be a change of pace... using compass and surrounding to navigate. A test if you know the town like the back of your hand.

Edited by Ektope

ALifeOfMisery

I know it's GTA day, but I'm hoping, probably in vain, for an early GTAO Newswire followed by some RDO update/patch/balancing news.

WFD1992

Will RDO ever have invite/ friend/ posse only lobbies? Or will there only ever be public lobbies? If the latter, then that's cow crap

IamCourtney

My understanding is that there are lines of code which suggest different lobby types exist but are disabled atm. When/if the ever become available is anyone's guess. Hoping for Free Aim Only sessions myself...

Smokewood
On 1/2/2019 at 11:30 AM, IamCourtney said:

Figured we could use a place for an ongoing catch-all general conversation about stuff that maybe doesn't warrant a thread of its own. Have a seat by the fire, roast a hunk of meat and join in, or just lurk at the edges with Cripps! :D

How's everybody feeling about their overall progress so far? I know some folks are already 200+ through various highly efficient methods, where do you stand?

I had nearly two weeks off work over Christmas and New Years and I was able to get a few marathon sessions in between family gatherings. I'm currently sitting at lvl 41, ~$2100 and 55g which is just peachy as far as I'm concerned. The levelling curve feels a lot smoother than I remember from GTAO, at least so far. Maybe the incline becomes sharply steeper nearer 100?

I stopped at level 12.

There's nothing to do in RDO

Happy Hunter
Posted (edited)

I hope they never nerf the lasso. I see the occasional person complain about it - but honestly it's underpowered if anything. Will be very easy to put the game away for good if they start messing things up like that.

By the way, does anyone know any other stew locations? Recently discovered the stew at Valentine and Blackwater, and have been using it to pad out my character and hopefully take more damage that way.

Edited by Happy Hunter

IamCourtney

I think there's something about losing control of your character temporarily that can really rub people the wrong way, it just feels worse than taking some damage or being killed outright. Not that I think they need to nerf the lasso or remove stumbling or anything like that, but I get the frustration.

ALifeOfMisery
36 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

By the way, does anyone know any other stew locations? Recently discovered the stew at Valentine and Blackwater

Fairly sure they're the only two we can eat from.

There's a camp fire locations thread knocking around somewhere, I asked the same question there and they were the only known locations so far.

MagnumOpuz
On 1/6/2019 at 7:18 PM, IamCourtney said:

Wrote a character backstory that took place mostly in San Denis.  They could have fleshed out the districts a bit more, maybe widened the streets a bit.  Playing during story was horrible.  Always people in the street while i'm riding.  It could definently use more pixels.

Happy Hunter

Stupidis

Riding my horse. Crash into npc on horse. NPC pistol whips me. I beat up npc. Npc dead. Loot npc. Npcs horse kicks me. Im dead. 

RDR2:O in a nutshell.

Boozey St John

Does the lock breaker serve a purpose in online mode? I don't have one but I see it for sale but haven't encountered a need for one.

clinical oppression
7 minutes ago, Boozey St James said:

Does the lock breaker serve a purpose in online mode? I don't have one but I see it for sale but haven't encountered a need for one.

I believe it can Crack lock boxes  on the back of wagons and coaches. A gunshot will get the same result , although the lockbreaker does it quiet and won't spook the team of horses which will cause them to flee. it can save you some time  chasing it back down but seeing that these boxes yield very little loot I wouldn't bother . 

DentureDynamite
On 1/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, IamCourtney said:

Anyone else wish Saint Denis were a bit bigger? Don't get me wrong, they capture that 19th century dirty urban feel fantastically and it's a really well designed area game play wise, especially for PvP, but the more time I spend there the smaller it feels. I always know I'm a short burst of speed away from being back in open country and it'd be cool to feel lost deep in the urban jungle if the city extended further than it does...

Yes, I do--and I'm hoping for more future map expansions such as Mexico and Canada (or whatever the northern area would be called).

I appreciate the variety of terrain (love the swamps and the danger and contrast they bring to the map), etc. but more is (IMO) always better if even for more potential space to hunt and fish in peace.

I'm also very thankful for Fast Travel--very practical, and IMO good value for the costs--just hope that losing animals and their pelts from our horse is fixed soon.

Edited by DentureDynamite

DentureDynamite
1 hour ago, Boozey St James said:

Other than what @clinical oppression mentioned above, the only place I've seen a use for it is the Saloon in Tumbleweed--the stairs on the outside lead to a second-floor door with a lock that it can open.

But again, this is useless, as there's nothing special or even lootable in the room, and you can walk right into that same room from within the Saloon itself. Go figure.

Hopefully this will actually have significant value in the game, along with things like herbivore and predator bait, and a slew of other future items such as ways to distract NPCs, etc.

Personally, I would love to be able to use the Lock Pick to enter and loot NPC houses that are currently locked... I have a feeling this is probably what Rockstar has in mind..? Would be even better if we could lock those same doors behind us, as it could really switch up some game play, by enabling evasion from griefers and lawmen--house windows (if exists--The Loft's tower windows have no glass) might then be considered an alternate means of entering/exiting, though they would take time to break through.

Unlocking the large steel back doors (e.g. the Gunsmith in St. Denis) would also be a great use for the lock picks.

BTW, do the geysers in Cotorra Springs actually work, or was that functionality removed in RDO? I was there for a while recently, but never saw either of the geysers erupt..?

Boozey St John

@clinical oppression Thanks so much for answering my question and the other one is was going to ask! 

@DentureDynamite I was hoping that the use would be breaking into NPC houses/stores too. I hope this game adds some of the cool homestead robberies and even better uses for the lockpick. 

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! @DentureDynamite-- You're cool in my book, homie!

DentureDynamite

^^ Thanks! :)

One other tidbit that I stumbled onto is that your character has an animation for breaking window glass when you're physically close enough and you try to shoot through them--pretty cool!

Van_Hellsing

If you are riding piggyback with some one, the passenger pops slippery bastard, can you lock on to someone, while the target can not lock back? 

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, DentureDynamite said:

BTW, do the geysers in Cotorra Springs actually work, or was that functionality removed in RDO? I was there for a while recently, but never saw either of the geysers erupt..?

I've never seen them work in online, which is a shame.

4eyedcoupe

Ever notice it is constantly raining in the desert?  And yet it is still a desert....

AndenNewMountain
2 minutes ago, Jlindstead said:

Ever notice it is constantly raining in the desert?  And yet it is still a desert....

Yeah, seen it plenty of times. It also rains in Ambarino instead of snowing. Just one of those things that make no sense

IamCourtney

I wish we had more granular control over our clothing outside the Wardrobe menu. It'd be nice to have a raincoat to put on as needed, take a jacket off as you move into a hotter climate, kick off your boots to stand barefoot in the shallows while you fish, just nice lil lite-RP touches like that. 

IamCourtney

I've been setting up some ad hoc Survival modes in free roam lately... there's a barn in the Valentine stockyards with a cross-shaped interior and 4 doors, one at each end. I get myself a Wanted level then head inside. The only rules are No Tonics Allowed and No Leaving the Ground Floor of the Barn. If I'm still alive after I've used up all my ammo, I Win! Bonus points if I manage to escape with my life. :D

It works pretty well, the lawmen seem to naturally spawn in waves around the area so that they're charging different doors at different times and I can even get a breather between "rounds" if I put 'em down quick enough. By the end my guns are spent forces sputtering bullets out of black smoke and it ain't exactly the most profitable way I could spend my gametime but f*ck it, it's pretty fun and the XP is decent enough. Makes me want an actual GTAO style Survival mode though...

Anybody else try this? Got any other good locations?

ALifeOfMisery

Has it always been the case that we don't get awarded XP for killing wolves?

I've just been attacked by 2 separate packs, when killing the first pack I noticed there wasn't any kill +XP notifications on the right side of the screen. Then when I was attacked a second time I quickly hit L1 to check my XP, killed the wolves, no XP awarded.

After that I purposely went looking for a bear and a cougar, got XP for both kills.

This might always have been the case and I've simply not noticed until now, or a buggy lobby.

Has anyone else noticed?

rusbeckia
15 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Has it always been the case that we don't get awarded XP for killing wolves?

I've just been attacked by 2 separate packs, when killing the first pack I noticed there wasn't any kill +XP notifications on the right side of the screen. Then when I was attacked a second time I quickly hit L1 to check my XP, killed the wolves, no XP awarded.

After that I purposely went looking for a bear and a cougar, got XP for both kills.

This might always have been the case and I've simply not noticed until now, or a buggy lobby.

Has anyone else noticed?

might have been bugged. I noticed that I rarely didn't get XP for kills, but it's really not common for me. usually you get 5 for small game, 10 for deer and such and 15 for predators or so? Does anybody now for a fact how much XP we get for which animal? Cause yesterday I definitely got 15XP (for the kill, +5 for special ammo) for killing a black bear and 5XP for geese. But XP sometimes seem kinda random. 

ALifeOfMisery

@rusbeckia I get the same XP as you said, 5 for small game (although nothing for really small animals such as squirrels), 10 for deer, elk, birds etc and 15 for predators like grizzly bear, cougar etc.

Since I posted I've been attacked by wolves 3 times, total of 8 wolves, in different lobbies, but no XP for any of the kills.

What's really interesting about your post though, is that I've never been awarded the 5 XP for special ammo (high velocity) when killing animals. I stopped using regular ammo for anything as soon as split point was unlocked and now I can buy express and high velocity I no longer buy regular ammo at all, so all kills are with special ammo, but as I said, no extra XP for me against animals.

rusbeckia
1 hour ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

@rusbeckia I get the same XP as you said, 5 for small game (although nothing for really small animals such as squirrels), 10 for deer, elk, birds etc and 15 for predators like grizzly bear, cougar etc.

Since I posted I've been attacked by wolves 3 times, total of 8 wolves, in different lobbies, but no XP for any of the kills.

What's really interesting about your post though, is that I've never been awarded the 5 XP for special ammo (high velocity) when killing animals. I stopped using regular ammo for anything as soon as split point was unlocked and now I can buy express and high velocity I no longer buy regular ammo at all, so all kills are with special ammo, but as I said, no extra XP for me against animals.

Tbh I need to check this again to be 100% sure. Might be that I‘m mistaking about XP for special ammo. I will report back when I‘m on again :) 

I also think I get Xp for squirrels and such but I solely hunt them using the small game arrows, maybe that‘s why? Im not 100% sure though

I‘ll have a look in that too.

ALifeOfMisery
12 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

Tbh I need to check this again to be 100% sure. Might be that I‘m mistaking about XP for special ammo. I will report back when I‘m on again :) 

I also think I get Xp for squirrels and such but I solely hunt them using the small game arrows, maybe that‘s why? Im not 100% sure though

I‘ll have a look in that too.

Could well be the small game arrows, as I don't use them, anything smaller than a fox gets the Varmint rifle.

Maybe if we use a weapon with too big a calibre we forfeit the XP? But I'm still getting 10 XP for killing tiny songbirds with the Varmint, so who knows.

Maybe we're talking about small, barely noticed bugs?

Next time I get on I'll have a play around, shoot a rabbit with a pump action shotgun etc and see if I still get the XP.

GTP_Monkey

No xp here for wolves either infact i dont even waste time skinning them just kill and move on