Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Summer Special
      2. The Diamond Casino Heist
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Frontier Pursuits
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

    2. GTA VI

      1. St. Andrews Cathedral
    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

DEALUX

No snow in Tall Trees

Recommended Posts

DEALUX

What is the logic behind this? The original game wasn't set in winter AFAIK so why is there no snow? Unless you progress to winter by the end but I think you can still see the snowy mountains early on from a distance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rammer2k

Global Warming.  All those horse dumps causing the ozone to deplete.  Good thing America was getting industrialized soon after.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mirror Park Resident

Another little thing that shows Great Plains and Tall Trees (or the whole West Elizabeth, for that matter) had their purpose (to give more biome variety) in RDR1 but are redundant pieces of map now. I'm still glad they included them again, tho.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX

RDR 1 map feels kinda small and huge at the same time. Huge because of the draw distance but small because of the limitations of previous gen hardware. As soon as I unlocked Blackwater I went to see what Tall Trees looks like. You can imagine my disappointment. What the actual...

 

John can't swim to be consistent with the first game but what the f....where did the snow go? How is that consistent with the first game? Makes no goddamn sense.

Edited by Dealux
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nutduster
15 minutes ago, Dealux said:

John can't swim to be consistent with the first game but what the f....where did the snow go? How is that consistent with the first game? Makes no goddamn sense.

 

Different time of year..? 

 

I just have a hard time caring about this stuff. Tall Trees with snow was cool but it's also fine without it and we have a much larger snowy area now.  The reason it was snowy in the first game was for a little more diversity and because they clearly had not planned out a hypothetical expanded world map, so it was fine to have Tall Trees be somewhere up north where it might reasonably be a lot colder than New Austin.  But now with a large chunk of the new map existing north of Tall Trees, and with a comparable climate as a reference point across a wide swatch of New Hanover and Roanoke Ridge, they did a little bit of retconning on the climate in Tall Trees.  That's basically why they changed it and I think we all implicitly understand that.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX

Although West Elizabeth is somewhat cold across from Blackwater so snow would make sense still. Tall Trees was one of the best places in the original game. I feel like they kinda ruined the original map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cutter De Blanc

I like it better without snow. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX

The forest had parts with no snow. Oddly enough that part of the map feels smaller somehow than the first game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
silly_nate

Aren’t there different trees there too?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonesta
2 hours ago, Dealux said:

Although West Elizabeth is somewhat cold across from Blackwater so snow would make sense still. Tall Trees was one of the best places in the original game. I feel like they kinda ruined the original map.

I think Tall Trees is fairly unimpressive in RDR2 because it's like a smaller, less diverse version of Big Valley.

The Great Plains are disappointing because they pale in comparison to the Heartlands.

Blackwater feels like a one horse town alongside St. Denis.

In all cases, the 'new' map did similar things bigger and better.

 

But I think New Austin looks amazing in this game. The longer draw distance just makes those desert plains feel like they're going on forever.

Yes, it's sad that Armadillo itself is in such a bad state - but the way it sits there in the middle of the vast emptiness of Cholla Springs (especially when viewed from upon high) is just breathtaking for me. Way more awe-inspiring than in the original game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kirk Lazarus

If you want to get in on the topic of seasons then RDR2 is set in the winter.

 

The whole northern Amberino region is covered in snow, yet several locations suggest it's not always covered in some snow.  Narrative lyrics speaking of course, not technically in the game. 

 

Sadie and her husband built their dream ranch, stables, fields, and such for the seasons.  Colter and the mining camp both feel more appropriate if they also had a summer season.

 

So, Tall Trees should've also been snowed over.  What most likely happened?  The whole previous game's locations were rushed to basic completion (converted to the latest engine) to support RDO and the Epilogue.  The new snow features didn't have time to be added to Tall Trees.

 

BTW, what happened to then old mining operation in Tall Trees in the previous game?  There's no sign of it despite pretty much every other ruins else being carbon copy updated.  Sad to see M.Post without an interior.

 

So, with areas having or not having snow, it kind of makes me hope Rockstar will introduce seasons to RDO.  It's fresh to see winter time in GTO right with everything all snowy white.

 

Amberino would look really exciting in the summer.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
burger_mike
5 hours ago, alz said:

If you want to get in on the topic of seasons then RDR2 is set in the winter.

 

The whole northern Amberino region is covered in snow, yet several locations suggest it's not always covered in some snow.  Narrative lyrics speaking of course, not technically in the game. 

 

Sadie and her husband built their dream ranch, stables, fields, and such for the seasons.  Colter and the mining camp both feel more appropriate if they also had a summer season.

 

So, Tall Trees should've also been snowed over.  What most likely happened?  The whole previous game's locations were rushed to basic completion (converted to the latest engine) to support RDO and the Epilogue.  The new snow features didn't have time to be added to Tall Trees.

 

BTW, what happened to then old mining operation in Tall Trees in the previous game?  There's no sign of it despite pretty much every other ruins else being carbon copy updated.  Sad to see M.Post without an interior.

 

So, with areas having or not having snow, it kind of makes me hope Rockstar will introduce seasons to RDO.  It's fresh to see winter time in GTO right with everything all snowy white.

 

Amberino would look really exciting in the summer.  

RDR2 actually starts off in the spring, Dutch mentions that the storm in the beginning is a spring storm and I think more specifically May. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jabalous

You could assume that Tall Trees only get snow in Winter and by Epilogue the season might be Spring or Fall. In other words, create your illusion. For me, I like it more now for being a denser forest with large sequoia tress and much more vegetation that didn't exist in Redemption due to hardware limitations. 

Edited by Jabalous
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donnits

Completing the epilogue gets the Endless Summer achievement. Pretty sure RDR2 takes place in spring and summer. RDR1 is in winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEALUX
24 minutes ago, dognuts said:

RDR1 is in winter.

Is there proof of this or is it implied?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harmonica

Even without the seasonal explanation, it could have just been a cold wave, similar to the record breaking ones that hit the US in 1911 and 1912. Even the blizzard that we see at the start of RDR2 seems like it was probably a reference to the Great Blizzard of 1899.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meekail

I actually like Tall Tress better without the snow tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GabrielSchneider
On 1/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, donnits said:

Completing the epilogue gets the Endless Summer achievement. Pretty sure RDR2 takes place in spring and summer. RDR1 is in winter.

"Endless Summer" is a reference to Bully's ending chapter, which is called Endless Summer :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SneakyDeaky

In the very first cutscene Hosea says it's May.

 

The game is set from Spring to Summer, if you believe everything from the Prologue to Chapter 6 happens over a few months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Original Light
Posted (edited)

I believe Tall Trees was changed to match the rest of the open world's biome. 

 

In RDR1, Tall Trees was the cold climate in the open world. In RDR2, Grizzlies West has taken over as the role of the " cold/snowy area", so Tall Trees became redundant. It's more realistic for Tall Trees to be matching the other nearby area's in climate. It was always kind of unrealistic how fast the transition was to snow, being so close to the Great Plains and not really elevating in altitude. The Grizzlies West is more realistic in its justification for snow, with its significantly higher elevation and the snow being confined to the mountains.

 

Personally, I think they could have left snow in Tall Trees. Maybe a dusting of snow, but not deep snow like Grizzlies West. 

Edited by Original Light
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasOdysseus
On 4/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, Original Light said:

I believe Tall Trees was changed to match the rest of the open world's biome. 

 

In RDR1, Tall Trees was the cold climate in the open world. In RDR2, Grizzlies West has taken over as the role of the " cold/snowy area", so Tall Trees became redundant. It's more realistic for Tall Trees to be matching the other nearby area's in climate. It was always kind of unrealistic how fast the transition was to snow, being so close to the Great Plains and not really elevating in altitude. The Grizzlies West is more realistic in its justification for snow, with its significantly higher elevation and the snow being confined to the mountains.

 

Personally, I think they could have left snow in Tall Trees. Maybe a dusting of snow, but not deep snow like Grizzlies West. 

Exactly--not hard to figure out or assume. R* probably didn't want to be too redundant with a snow-covered area, so they made Tall Trees more into a rainforest, like you'd see in the Pacific NW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hunterh-O

There is some proof of RDR1 being in the Winter/Autumn season.

And this is from just roaming in RDR1:

- A fierce/chill wind can be heard in Hennigan's Stead/Tall Trees/Great Plains/Cholla Springs.

- A couple trees- around Beecher's Hope- can be seen sporting orange, yellow leaves. 

- Dead trees in Tall Trees

-The snow and pine trees north of Hennigan's stead. 

- And of course, the snow in Tall Trees. 

=The ambient music can give off such a vibe in WE=

If we are going by continuity with RDR2:

-Less amount of that 'deserty' feel in RDR1

-No Redwoods in Tall Trees.

-No snow in Tall Trees.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alexlecj

I prefer Great Plains in RDR2, the yellow grass add more "character" to the area.

 

In RDR it was not really that different from Hennigan's Stead, just less trees.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.